NC - James, 52, & Alison Sapikowski, 49, murdered, Chapel Hill, 28 April 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Precisely when they were killed was still under investigation, but Jarvies said evidence showed it was sometime the weekend of April 29.

Adam was at the prom April 30, according to police. Jarvies said there was an unconfirmed report that he had a small party in the home after the dance
This is so whacked! If there was a small party, and the parents were dead (would be quite recent)... is the house so large that no guests would know? But if the parents were killed after the party (if there was one), could it have been because of the party? Not that that's any excuse to kill anyone, let alone one's parents. But cripes! this case really disturbs me.

Allore knew Sapikowski, a 6-foot 6-inch defenseman, as head coach of the UNC-Chapel Hill club team and as a Carolina Hurricanes season ticket holder. He also knew Sapikowski had a daughter interested in acting, which played to Allore's role as managing director of the Deep Dish Theater Co. in Chapel Hill.

"We talked about hockey; we talked about theater," said Allore, 41. "We all knew each other intimately, but we didn't know each other's lives."

The two rink rats shared a passion for playing hockey a strong but narrow connection of athletics and locker room conversations.

As investigators probe the April 29 shotgun slayings of Sapikowski, 52, and his wife Alison, 49, at their Whitley Drive home in Chapel Hill, Allore's limited recollections are typical of the fragmented image of the family emerging from public records, friends and neighbors and business associates.

Their youngest son, Adam, 17, a junior at Durham Academy, is being held without bail in the Orange County jail on first-degree murder charges.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/2454911p-8859000c.html

According to a search warrant, Sapikowski's sister told them about a secret hiding place in his room. Police found a security safe consistent with a key he had given his girlfriend. They also found National Rifle Association certificates and marksman awards.

The District Attorney's Office said it will be opposing any efforts to release Sapikowski on bond.

http://www.wral.com/news/4571212/detail.html

He was denied bond today at his latest hearing. This article is interesting in that they think he was planning to leave town (truck packed with camping gear, food, AND the murde weapon. Big chunk of cash in his account.)....

This quote is particularly telling:

"Prosecutors also told the judge that no one in Sapikowski's immediate family would be willing to take him in if he was granted bond for fear that Sapikowski would harm them. "

http://newsobserver.com/news/ncwire_news/story/2477641p-8882085c.html

A grand jury decided Monday the district attorney has enough evidence to pursue murder charges against Adam Sapikowski, the Chapel Hill teen accused of killing his parents.
Sapikowski, 17, was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of his parents the weekend of April 29, about two weeks before police found the bloodied bodies of Alison Sapikowski, 49, and Jim Sapikowski, 52, wrapped in blankets on the ground floor of their home in The Oaks subdivision.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/2542439p-8946870c.html

Two days after Adam Sapikowski wrote from jail that he was feeling suicidal, the Chapel Hill teenager was involuntarily committed Wednesday to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation.
After a closed civil hearing before Orange County's clerk of Superior Court, Sapikowski was taken to John Umstead Hospital in Butner for psychiatric treatment and diagnosis. The 17-year-old was charged with killing his parents during the spring.

Earlier this week, Sapikowski asked to be placed on suicide watch, writing, "I am having to [sic] much trouble handling it and I don't want to end up doing some thing crazy/stupid."

His attorney, Public Defender James Williams, told reporters Wednesday that Sapikowski needed more care than could be provided in Orange County's jail.

"It's not just a matter of coping," Williams said. "He has some mental illness, and that's why we're here."
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/2795667p-9236298c.html

A Chapel Hill teen accused of killing his parents has been moved from Central Prison back to Umstead Hospital in Butner.

Adam Sapikowski, who is charged in the May murder of his parents, James and Allison Sapikowski, had been in Central Prison since November.

He was held in a strip cell, which means he's not allowed to wear any clothes, and was also being monitored by cameras.
http://www.wral.com/news/5450429/detail.html

This seemed to take forever:
http://wral.com/news/local/story/2354903/
Teen gets plea deal in parents' slayings
Adam Sapikowski, 19, pleaded guilty to felony obstruction of justice and agreed to plead guilty to two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of James Sapikowski, 52, and Allison Sapikowski, 49.
Superior Court Judge Carl Fox gave the teen a suspended sentence and a $10,000 fine on the obstruction charge and was expected to pass sentence on the two murder charges in the next two weeks.
The plea was structured in multiple parts so Sapikowski would have a felony conviction on his record when he is sentenced for the killings, allowing Fox to impose a stiffer prison term, authorities said. Sapikowski faces 40 to 50 years in prison for the two slayings.

(This is the guy that wrapped his parents up in blankets after he killed them, stashed them in their bedroom and then went to prom.)

It sounds like the father was very abusive towards this child. I wonder if the judge will take that into consideration, that is, if the abuse is true.

It sounds like the father was very abusive towards this child. I wonder if the judge will take that into consideration, that is, if the abuse is true.

Nanandjim,

Judges are allowed to take that sort of abuse - if true - into consideration and I think they almost always do. (The wise ones do, anyway.) Prayers for this family. Such a sad, sad crime.

50 years total.

Sapikowski received a 24.5 year sentence for his dad’s death and up to 25.5 years for his mothers. (more plus video at link)
http://news14.com/content/top_stories/592683/son-gets-50-years-for-parents--deaths/Default.aspx

So for 2 years he's in the Youth Center. The rest will be spent in the big house once he turns 21. God, he'll be 69 yrs old (or does he get credit for time served all this time?). ETA: Credit for time served since 5/2005.

I always have such a hard time fathoming these long sentences for these young kids. I wouldn't even want to live anymore.

50 years total.

Sapikowski received a 24.5 year sentence for his dad’s death and up to 25.5 years for his mothers. (more plus video at link)
http://news14.com/content/top_stories/592683/son-gets-50-years-for-parents--deaths/Default.aspx

So for 2 years he's in the Youth Center. The rest will be spent in the big house once he turns 21. God, he'll be 69 yrs old (or does he get credit for time served all this time?).

I always have such a hard time fathoming these long sentences for these young kids. I wouldn't even want to live anymore.

We see so many of these cases; i wonder if in the past any family therapy was recommended and the families had refused (say to save face; or they were in denial).
There has to be a way to prevent these familicides and parenticides from happening.
As for the long sentence, these kids grow up in a the prison system pretty much, and it is all they know. Ignorance is bliss, metaphorically speaking as they've not had a chance to get out there to live life so they don't know what they are missing. They have to learn to adapt and to make the best of where they are and what they have.

Athlete charged in parents' shotgun deaths

Another weird crime out of the Durham area. From the article linked above;

Police found the bodies of businessman James Sapikowski, 52, and his wife, Alison Powell Sapikowski, 49, in a ground-floor bedroom of their home shortly after dawn, Jarvies said. The couple had been dead for at least three days, possibly a week...

I added the emphasis.

Another monster that doesn't deserve to suck air into their lungs.:mad:

The case I referenced actually involved twin boys in 1999....

Henderson, N.C.
Twins plead responsible to killing father - Eleven-year-old twins admitted Monday they fatally shot their father and wounded their mother and sister four months ago.
I was raised in the area. They were far from affluent.
Those kids were being sexually abused. Totally different kind of case all together.

50 years total.

So for 2 years he's in the Youth Center. The rest will be spent in the big house once he turns 21. God, he'll be 69 yrs old (or does he get credit for time served all this time?). ETA: Credit for time served since 5/2005.

I don't think he should EVER get out. I also think if you kill anyone, you deserve to die yourself.

Siblings recall loving parents
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/story/933900.html
Sapikowski has claimed that his father approached him with a baseball bat, threatening to "rifle-butt" him as the son said he did about a dozen times while he was in high school. But investigators found a bloody report card in the family's kitchen after the murders.

"James Sapikowski, rather than having a bat in his hand, may have had a report card in his hand," Woodall said.
Affection recalled
In their testimony, Sapikowski's sister, brother and aunt described his parents as loving and supportive, in contrast to the abusive father and complicit mother Sapikowski has described to psychiatrists.
Where Adam Sapikowski has described James Sapikowski as a father who called him worthless and stupid, Lauren told of a father who did a "silly celebration dance" to honor her academic accomplishments. "My parents were the most loving people I have ever known," Lauren Sapikowski said. "They would constantly tell us how proud they were, of even the smallest things we accomplished. They were the most supportive parents I think imaginable because they always told us to do what made us happy.
(more at link) :(

Looks like this kid's storys about his father didn't do him any good. The other siblings talk about loving parents dedicated to their children. That is no doubt the truth. So sad that they have to suffer the loss of their parents because of their brother. Sounds like he got a bad report card and didn't like the things his dad was saying about it. Probably took some things away like the car or certain previleges.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K.Kosky
Back