GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder - since Jason was on a work-related visa, and (as far as we know) had not applied for permanent residency or citizenship in the US, could he be deemed to be still living in Ireland, but working abroad?

That would be a bit hard to pull off, with having bought the house in NC. But Molly might try it. However, if the distribution of the estate is determined by the residence of the inheritor (if I understood that correctly) I guess the point is moot.

I can see how this could all get dragged out for years in the courts. I guess the moral of the story is update your will after life changing events like marriage, divorce, widowment, having kids, and protect the interests of your kids from a previous marriage before remarrying.

I think he had got permanent legal residence for himself and the children in 2014. This would have given him the freedom to live and work in the US indefinitely and generally citizenship is applied for after five years residency in US. This is certainly how my husband and I worked out our status here. I am a dual citizen and he got a work visa then permanent residency then eventually citizenship however this was a good number of years ago so the rules may have changed since. I think this was stated in the custody orders. Il double check that. I definitely saw it on some official document that was released. No if you are living and working out of the jurisdiction on a full time basis and not paying tax in ireland he wouldn't be deemed to be a current resident of Ireland. Yes I agree, wills and plans for the future are so important.

I don't think we have a 'slayer law' or its equivalent in Ireland, however a spouse can be deemed 'unworthy to succeed' and lose their right to inherit. This is relatively rare but would arise, for example, where the surviving spouse/civil partner murdered the deceased or committed certain other serious crimes against the deceased.

She doesnt have a leg to stand on where the children are concerned. She has no legal standing in relation to them regardless of the years she spent with them and they couldn't return to the US without the appropriate adoption/custody papers plus visas which she won't get . She might have had some chance if he had an updated Will subsequent to their marriage giving her guardianship but they would have most likely been removed from her care by now or at least at some point in the future while the case is ongoing.

I think her passion for custody will wane once she realizes the kids don't come accessorized with huge bank accounts. Her main reason for wanting them now would probably be to control evidence, but when she was looking into divorce, they were probably just a way of keeping the money rolling in without the inconvenience of a husband.

Being unfamiliar with U.S justice system, what exactly is mm and tm court attendance for tomorrow? I know it's in relation to the case and not the issue of property but is it just formality?
thanks.

Is it not strange that there has not yet been a plea hearing? Also not versed with the correct procedures in the US justice system but I would have thought that after the arraignment the next appearance would be to enter a plea with the administrative hearings following that.

"Walter Holton, Corbett's lawyer, made a motion to subpoena records from the Department of Social Services in Davidson County and Union County, which is south of Charlotte. It is unclear why the records were requested. Social Services assists families in establishing self-sufficiency as well as protecting children from neglect and abuse."
Interesting. Is this with regard to the post mortem custody battle, or was there prior involvement with Social Services?

Maybe it is to prove that Social Services were never contacted in relation to any issues of neglect or abuse in Jason's house.

Maybe it is to prove that Social Services were never contacted in relation to any issues of neglect or abuse in Jason's house.

The request for social services records was made by mollys attorney. It could mean either. Perhaps to show contact had been made previously with them by molly with concerns , or to show there were never any reports of her alleged volitile alcoholic tendencies. There is something in those records they must wish to use.

The request for social services records was made by mollys attorney. It could mean either. Perhaps to show contact had been made previously with them by molly with concerns , or to show there were never any reports of her alleged volitile alcoholic tendencies. There is something in those records they must wish to use.

Well, obviously. I doubt, though, that they would be looking for records that do not exist, as would be in the case of no reports.

Yeah, I found the reference to this particularly odd. The request is being made by the defence, the defence will have been instructed by their clients, or rather given information by their clients what is contained in these records. They are the only ones requesting these records so it can only be for the purpose on enhancing their case. The plot thickens.

"Holton said that Corbett and her father are abiding by the agreement, but that Holton wanted to make sure that no witnesses or potential witnesses are being threatened or intimidated by email or social media."

I see the defence had also sought tom martens personnel file. Wonder what's in that..

I see the defence had also sought tom martens personnel file. Wonder what's in that..

As far as I know it is because they want to see what training if any he had in disarming a perpetrator and other self defence classes. In relation to Eamon Lilis he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter that is how he received a share of the estate he wasn't convicted of murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rayhartley90