CONVICTION OVERTURNED NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #11 *Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think like a lot of people, I suspected from the outset that this was a case of premeditated murder, and was certainly never self defence. During the original trial, and in posts here back in 2017, I was desperate to know just how big or small the paving stone/brick used to kill Jason was. When I finally saw the size and shape of that object, I was totally convinced. It was not something you would keep beside the bed to remind you you had planned to help the kids paint it in the coming days.

It was not something cutesey or curious or interesting enough to be an object you would even want to paint, in my opinion. The crime scene photos show an irregular shaped, solid brick, about twice as big as a normal adults hand. I didn't think then, and I don't think now, that it was something one would keep in a bedroom, for the purpose stated - particularly in a quite large house with a basement, and I believe a garage too.

Seeing the images of that paving stone/brick, along with the other physical and circumstantial evidence, removed from my mind the faintest possibility of the self defence argument, and convinced me that this was perhaps more of a first degree murder case, than second degree murder. I would hope a jury in a retrial would be equally convinced that the paving stone/brick was not something a reasonable person would believe to have been in the bedroom for the reasons given by the Martens, and instead was deliberately brought in as a weapon.

I think like a lot of people, I suspected from the outset that this was a case of premeditated murder, and was certainly never self defence. During the original trial, and in posts here back in 2017, I was desperate to know just how big or small the paving stone/brick used to kill Jason was. When I finally saw the size and shape of that object, I was totally convinced. It was not something you would keep beside the bed to remind you you had planned to help the kids paint it in the coming days.

It was not something cutesey or curious or interesting enough to be an object you would even want to paint, in my opinion. The crime scene photos show an irregular shaped, solid brick, about twice as big as a normal adults hand. I didn't think then, and I don't think now, that it was something one would keep in a bedroom, for the purpose stated - particularly in a quite large house with a basement, and I believe a garage too.

Seeing the images of that paving stone/brick, along with the other physical and circumstantial evidence, removed from my mind the faintest possibility of the self defence argument, and convinced me that this was perhaps more of a first degree murder case, than second degree murder. I would hope a jury in a retrial would be equally convinced that the paving stone/brick was not something a reasonable person would believe to have been in the bedroom for the reasons given by the Martens, and instead was deliberately brought in as a weapon.

I totally agree, no way was that brick brought into the master bedroom for the purpose that the martens said it was for, even if it was true that she told the kids lets paint it, she had other plans for it, my reasoning for this is (1)she claims the kids were not allowed in the bedroom so i couldn't see a controlling husband (that molly said he was ) would allow a brick be allowed on the night stand, this would most certainly give him cause to argue with her, secondly and most importantly if molly was been abused as she claims she was why in gods God's name would she place an object that her abusive angry husband could use as a weapon against her,if i was on a jury that is what I would be thinking
All the above are my own thoughts and opinions only

I feel one of the most important parts of Tom Martens testimony are the parts he didn't see , he doesn't recall, or doesn't remember. Tom Martens is a very astute , experienced and trained law enforcement professional . He boast's 31 years of experience . Part of his training is attention to detail. He can fully describe and recall certain aspects of this so called " Deadly fight " with fine detail. He can describe allegedly seeing Jason with his arm around Molly's neck with extensive detail. He can recall Jason's supposed movements . He can recall allegedly hearing him say " I'm going to kill her " numerous times . However he doesn't recall or remember some very important aspects of the deadly fight or the hours leading up to it . A man that can recall with great detail some aspects of a deadly altercation cannot remember why his daughter Molly had made ‘multiple calls’ to her parents during the four-hour journey they made from their home to Jason and Molly's in the hours before Mr Corbett’s killing. No explanation for why he suddenly cancelled a golf game to rush to North Carolina at his daughters beckon call . Tom Martens is not described as an impulsive man rather more a creature of habit . When asked if Molly was upset when she called ‘I don’t remember,’ was Mr Martens reply. After he initially asked Jason to ‘let her go’ in the room , Mr Martens said "they did not speak AT ALL " while the fight continued into the hall, through the bathroom, back into the hall and again into the bedroom. Sockets and lights switches are broken , indents on the wall , furniture overturned, a 260lbs man so badly beaten there were bone fragments from his skull on the ME's table . Three people in a room fighting to the death and Not One Word was spoken . No noise made either we would have to assume since Sharon Martens wasn't alerted to the seriousness of the situation happening right above her and call for help for her frail ageing husband and 120lb vulnerable daughter . And then there is the brick. The brick that Tom never saw Molly swinging bashing in Jason's skull . The brick that Sheriff Grice said did the most damage. Molly had tissue and blood on her clothes , the brick was covered in blood , tissue and hair's. However Tom never witnessed that part conveniently . Add all this to Mr Martens admitting neither he nor Molly attempted to resuscitate Jason despite both of them being trained before calling 911 . He also "didn't recall" if he washed his face and hands after killing Jason . Crime scene photos display no blood on either Tom or Molly's face or hands despite them both claiming the carried out CPR on Jason . WHERE IS THE BLOOD . One could assume that they already knew he was dead long before they made the call . One could assume they did not carry out CPR on Jason. IMO they knew he was incapacitated long before they delivered blows to the head while Jason was on the ground and long before they delivered blows to his head as he lay dead on the ground .

In relation to his wife, Sharon Martens, who was in a downstairs bedroom while the alleged battle between himself and Jason Corbett was occurring upstairs, he said that she did not ‘come running up’ to see what was going on. This was despite the loud noises created when Jason threw Mr Martens to the floor and when Mr Corbett himself fell to the ground due to blows.

During cross-examination by Greg Brown, prosecuting, Mr Martens said that despite his CPR training he did not try to resuscitate Jason until an emergency operator told him to. ‘I have training,’ Mr Martens told the court. ‘But I was never certified in CPR.’ He confirmed that Molly was indeed certified in CPR.
‘Prior to calling 911, neither you or your daughter started to perform CPR on Jason Corbett is that correct?,’ asked Greg Brown.
‘That is correct,’ Mr Martens replied.

For me, it was the fact that Molly had tissue and blood on her clothes. I told the other jurors that my theory was she had been kneeling over Jason when she hit him. She had to have been.

‘I knew straight away things didn’t add up,’ he said. ‘I walked in there and I knew we had a lot of activity in that house because of the concentration of where the blood was. We started out with questions about whether or not this was self-defence. The brutality of the crime clearly presented itself as something else.
‘If he was an FBI agent and he was defending his daughter then why didn’t he attempt to restrain Jason, to bring him down somehow, leave the house, shout out for Sharon?’ He explained that they only took one statement from Mr Martens as part of a strategy. He said: ‘He had confessed. What else could he say?’ And he added: ‘I don’t think Tom Martens ever thought he would be charged.’

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.
'Molly did most of the damage with the brick' says senior cop in Jason Corbett case
911 Call Listen: 'He’s bleeding all over and I may have killed him' - Full transcript of Martens' 911 call
Jason Corbett Crime Scene Photos

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
I feel one of the most important parts of Tom Martens testimony are the parts he didn't see , he doesn't recall, or doesn't remember. Tom Martens is a very astute , experienced and trained law enforcement professional . He boast's 31 years of experience . Part of his training is attention to detail. He can fully describe and recall certain aspects of this so called " Deadly fight " with fine detail. He can describe allegedly seeing Jason with his arm around Molly's neck with extensive detail. He can recall Jason's supposed movements . He can recall allegedly hearing him say " I'm going to kill her " numerous times . However he doesn't recall or remember some very important aspects of the deadly fight or the hours leading up to it . A man that can recall with great detail some aspects of a deadly altercation cannot remember why his daughter Molly had made ‘multiple calls’ to her parents during the four-hour journey they made from their home to Jason and Molly's in the hours before Mr Corbett’s killing. No explanation for why he suddenly cancelled a golf game to rush to North Carolina at his daughters beckon call . Tom Martens is not described as an impulsive man rather more a creature of habit . When asked if Molly was upset when she called ‘I don’t remember,’ was Mr Martens reply. After he initially asked Jason to ‘let her go’ in the room , Mr Martens said "they did not speak AT ALL " while the fight continued into the hall, through the bathroom, back into the hall and again into the bedroom. Sockets and lights switches are broken , indents on the wall , furniture overturned, a 260lbs man so badly beaten there were bone fragments from his skull on the ME's table . Three people in a room fighting to the death and Not One Word was spoken . No noise made either we would have to assume since Sharon Martens wasn't alerted to the seriousness of the situation happening right above her and call for help for her frail ageing husband and 120lb vulnerable daughter . And then there is the brick. The brick that Tom never saw Molly swinging bashing in Jason's skull . The brick that Sheriff Grice said did the most damage. Molly had tissue and blood on her clothes , the brick was covered in blood , tissue and hair's. However Tom never witnessed that part conveniently . Add all this to Mr Martens admitting neither he nor Molly attempted to resuscitate Jason despite both of them being trained before calling 911 . He also "didn't recall" if he washed his face and hands after killing Jason . Crime scene photos display no blood on either Tom or Molly's face or hands despite them both claiming the carried out CPR on Jason . WHERE IS THE BLOOD . One could assume that they already knew he was dead long before they made the call . One could assume they did not carry out CPR on Jason. IMO they knew he was incapacitated long before they delivered blows to the head while Jason was on the ground and long before they delivered blows to his head as he lay dead on the ground .

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.
'Molly did most of the damage with the brick' says senior cop in Jason Corbett case
911 Call Listen: 'He’s bleeding all over and I may have killed him' - Full transcript of Martens' 911 call
Jason Corbett Crime Scene Photos

Edited for spelling

Excellent post!

Another thought. Jason was 6ft 4” or 6ft 5 inches tall. Much taller than either of his killers. So if he was standing erect...how was there such horrific damage to the back of his head that his skull crumbled? He must have been face down when many of those blows were inflicted.

Sharon’s story doesn’t add up either IMO. Remember Tom testified he had never been informed of any abuse. So he and Sharon hear this violent disturbance occurring upstairs. For all he knows, Jason is struggling with intruders...maybe Molly is too. Tom grabs a bat to go upstairs and investigate. Sharon is left downstairs with 3 phones in the room.

She never calls 911.

In fact, according to testimony, even after EMTs arrive, sirens blaring...she never leaves that room. Never goes to see if her husband or daughter are okay. Never runs to get the children out of the house to a neighbors for safety. I believe there was a separate door leading from the downstairs out of the house.

Instead, when police knock on the door, asks “Is everything okay?’ What did she think they say...”yes Mam, we always arrive in the middle of the night, sirens blaring, to collect donations for the Police Athletic League.’

Is it possible that Sharon Martens could be called to testify this time? Even if it was a brief questioning - why did you come to Molly's home that day? What were your thoughts about the state of their marriage up to that point? Had Molly ever talked to you about her concerns that Jason might leave her and take the children? What did you hear while Tom was upstairs? Did you hear sounds of a disturbance upstairs? Why didn't you call the police earlier?
Tom and Sharon were walking a fine line between knowing beforehand and not doing anything to support their daughter, and not knowing beforehand, yet Tom sprang into the middle of this alleged argument ready to kill.

Is it possible that Sharon Martens could be called to testify this time? Even if it was a brief questioning - why did you come to Molly's home that day? What were your thoughts about the state of their marriage up to that point? Had Molly ever talked to you about her concerns that Jason might leave her and take the children? What did you hear while Tom was upstairs? Did you hear sounds of a disturbance upstairs? Why didn't you call the police earlier?
Tom and Sharon were walking a fine line between knowing beforehand and not doing anything to support their daughter, and not knowing beforehand, yet Tom sprang into the middle of this alleged argument ready to kill.
She could be. However if she had anything positive to say, she’d be called by the defense. Since they didn’t in the first trial, I’d guess they didn’t want her on the stand and open to cross examination by the prosecutors. The prosecutors may be open to calling her, but they probably would worry that she may not be honest or be helpful to the defense. I don’t even know if she gave any statements or interviews to the police.
But as a non-legal person/crime aficionado, I definitely wonder what she knows, heard, and saw.

7 years. 7 years later, and no justice for Jason. This case absolutely disappoints and frustrates me. Those beautiful children deserved better. The world deserved to have these evil beings locked up!

‘Today is 7 years since my Dad’s death. I miss him every single day. Everyone tells me the retrial dates will be set. How many children in the world are carrying a burden like me?’ Sarah wrote on Twitter on Tuesday. She included Mr Coveney in the tweet, along with a victim rights group in North Carolina that had been helping her family.

BBM

Last edited:

Molly and Thomas Martens will go on trial on June 26, 2023, for murder in the 2015 death of Limerick businessman Jason Corbett, a US judge said Wednesday morning in Davidson Superior Court.

Finally! Does anyone know if the state ever submitted the shorts to test if the presumed splatter is indeed blood? That was a major contention of the appeal. Hopefully so to clear up any lingering reasonable doubt.

An attorney for Molly Corbett, who is going on trial a second time, along with her father, Thomas Martens, for the 2015 murder of her husband, Irish businessman Jason Corbett, made a startling allegation in court Thursday morning: Jason Corbett murdered his first wife and would have killed his second wife in almost the same manner if her father hadn’t beaten Jason to death with a baseball bat.
Jason Corbett was never charged in his wife’s death. An autopsy report said that Margaret Fitzpatrick Corbett died in November 2006 from a cardiac arrest stemming from an asthma attack.

An attorney for Molly Corbett, who is going on trial a second time, along with her father, Thomas Martens, for the 2015 murder of her husband, Irish businessman Jason Corbett, made a startling allegation in court Thursday morning: Jason Corbett murdered his first wife and would have killed his second wife in almost the same manner if her father hadn’t beaten Jason to death with a baseball bat.
Jason Corbett was never charged in his wife’s death. An autopsy report said that Margaret Fitzpatrick Corbett died in November 2006 from a cardiac arrest stemming from an asthma attack.

Oh brother. She’s a horrible person.

Not the first time that's been said by her or rather, her camp. (Family members on FB). She's vile, they all are.

'Jason Corbett was never charged in his wife's death' - serious spin. This case really hurts my heart for Jason's family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbieP
Back