GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an attorney but my experience from watching these trials is that both sides just love it when the other side puts on someone whose testimony they can "impeach" or tear apart in front of the jury.

In this case, where credibility is key, I assume the defense must be very, very careful. It's one thing is the testimony of an expert witness can be challenged, because each side will have its experts. But, for example, when Scott Peterson, the grieving widower, was shown to have called his girlfriend from the prayer vigil for his missing wife...well, hard to have the jury forget that.
Thank you ! Could be a few conflicts of interests so imo as those closest to the defence played this out in a very public way and I'm sure prosecution followed with interest.

Certainly will be interesting to see any familiar names testifying.

Amoo

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

according to this link tm is a qualified lawyer ,havent heard this said before
Mr Martens, a grandfather, retired FBI agent and qualified lawyer, claims he heard the sound of shouting and, on going to an upstairs bedroom to investigate what was happening, alleges he saw Mr Corbett attacking his daughter.

Well spotted. He has all angles covered so imo.

Begs the question, wouldn't a lawyer and fbi agent combined know exactly how to cover tracks

Just my opinion

Mr Martens, a grandfather, retired FBI agent and qualified lawyer, claims he heard the sound of shouting and, on going to an upstairs bedroom to investigate what was happening, alleges he saw Mr Corbett attacking his daughter.

Well spotted. He has all angles covered so imo.

Wow. I knew there would be some curve balls.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Begs the question, wouldn't a lawyer and fbi agent combined know exactly how to cover tracks

Just my opinions

Wouldn't a lawyer and an FBI agent know how to help his abused daughter get to safety and get custody of her stepchildren rather than staying in a house 4 hours away?

No, hadn't seen that mentioned before however it's v possible he sat and passed the bar exam prior to joining FBI, that would have been very advantageous to him being hired. Nothing much has been said about his educational background but I'm not surprised by this tbh, it's a useful stepping stone for anyone seeking a career with a govt law enforcement agency even if they never practised as a lawyer.

Its the Indo, Bernie, be nothin' short of a miracle if they even read the thing..
Only advantage it would give him as a perpetrator , IMO is that he would know who to hire to defend himself.
And, if he goes to prison he will be useful for all the other inmates.

No, hadn't seen that mentioned before however it's v possible he sat and passed the bar exam prior to joining FBI, that would have been very advantageous to him being hired. Nothing much has been said about his educational background but I'm not surprised by this tbh, it's a useful stepping stone for anyone seeking a career with a govt law enforcement agency even if they never practised as a lawyer.

I think we haven't heard about it before because it could be problematic for Martens with the jury.

Remember the "hot car" death of the little boy in Ga? When it came out at trial that his Father had actually watched a video that gave him knowledge of how horrific a hot car death would be...there were comments here and everywhere about his knowledge.

Now the jury may ponder why a father who had the finanical resources to help his daughter with a divorce from her "abusive" husband and custody; the connections through the FBI to help his daughter with divorce from her "abusive husband" and custody; and now, the LEGAL knowledge to help his daughter with a divorce from her "abusive husband" and custody...found himself part of a horrific beat down as his only "option?"

Not to mention that this LAWYER's "abused"daughter volunteered at agencies that had all kinds of help to offer!

There are too many abused women in this country who have NO options. They have no family support, they have no money, they don't know where or how to get help. They don't have Daddy's in the FBI who have law degrees.

Not Molly Martens. This woman had everything!

The jury will see that.

Just wondering if there is precedent for a trained FBI agent giving evidence in their own self defense? Would the jury be advised that as a trained member of the FBI, then it is likely that TM has had formal training in how to be interviewed/how to portray an image of his choosing etc etc?

Haven't read the whole thread but . . .just to chime in - his FBI agent experience might lead to his disadvantage because he is trained to stop such an altercation (if there was one) between daughter and son-in-law without using a baseball bat.

Just wondering if there is precedent for a trained FBI agent giving evidence in their own self defense? Would the jury be advised that as a trained member of the FBI, then it is likely that TM has had formal training in how to be interviewed/how to portray an image of his choosing etc etc?

No they wouldn't be advised of this. In order for any description of the work of an FBI agent to be admissible before the jury, an FBI agent (such as the defendant or another agent) would have to testify as to the training, etc. The only thing the jury can consider is evidence that is properly introduced and admitted through witness testimony from the witness stand.

I haven't read every page of this thread yet, but this FBI agent has a lot of explaining to do. JMHO

Good point. Also I question why they reports from sources close to defence tell of the view point that putting MM on the stand isnt likelyas mentioned in this morning's papers.

MM is a witness to events on Aug 2nd and has until now used her voice quiet often in her own defence.

To me it seems wrong because they are being tried together so would TM testimony alone not in fact sway Jurors either way on both defendants rather than individual testimony on both their parts ?

So essentially again he is taking the lead for his daughter.

Neither defendant has to testify. The state has the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Supposedly, TM will testify. We believe he will try to explain his state of mind and the reasons for the overkill. In doing so, he will "open the door" for the prosecution to ask his training in regard to controlling that "state of mind" and his training to incapacitate rather than kill in a confrontation.

I am feeling I have missed a whole chapter here. I just never even saw it until I saw it mentioned by several people since thread re-opened.
Thats the 'hidden phone' story.
I saw posts about hidden notes discovered in strange places among the childrens' things.
I'm unclear where the hidden phone story emerged or when or who discovered it.
What age were the children exactly when their dad was murdered?

I don't think there was any hidden phone. I read there were hidden numbers in the kids bags put there by MM when she came to say goodbye, after guardianship was awarded to the Lynch's. I read they were told not to tell anyone. It's two years ago now, I don't have a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could I suggest that unless the children are brought into trial which suggestions are they won't be, that we all as a group come to a consensus to make them off limits. They aren't on trial and have been through so very much. They are orphaned children and their guardian's also requested they not be brought into social media or any media for that matter. Perhaps we can collectively respect yheir wishes. I say this sincerely.

It's only a thought but maybe we too can respect that. What do you think?

Absolutely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither defendant has to testify. The state has the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Legally, you are absolutely right. But the Martens have confessed to the killing. This trial is actually the Martens vs the Autopsy.

Nothing, not even the accusation of spousal abuse, gives individuals under NC law the right to take self-defense forward to an execution.

So they can try to prove abuse. They can claim self defense. But then here comes the autopsy. The overkill.

It seems to me that one of them has to try to explain why that horrific beatdown was absolutely unavoidable.

The autopsy demands attempts at explanation, even if the law does not.

In my opinion, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member