GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the jury first has to consider self defense. If they find it was justified in self defense but excessive force was used, then they can convict of manslaughter. If they find it was not self defense, then they convict on Second Degree Murder. IMO

Exactly they have this option. They also have the option to convict on 2nd degree if the believe it warranted this and excessive force was used.

I think the medical evidence provided in this regard is key.

I think I have asked this before but not sure does an autopsy give an indication of time of death? I know the ME reports the time of death when stated by the paramedics. Given the fact that neither TM or MM were out of breath on the 911 call is suspicious to me - given this violent fight they had just been in.

All IMO

Gosh.. I dont know what I expected, was up all night working on something entirely different, so did Indo article was first I saw and thinking.. this is surely not the entire defence.. a dV case. Its a murder case, is it not? The autopsy concluded- homicide.
The job of the trial is to examine that, is it not?
Heinous, atrocious and cruel are not lightly used by LE.

Jason is the victim here.
There are allegations without truth being discussed as fact.
I think Marymead first used the expression where she described home-executions as unlawful, no matter what the provocation.

The truth is that we dont actually know the motive behind this homicide.
The court /police investigation will answer those questions.
They had access to all records, we did not.
Right now it looks to me that DV is given precedence over murder.

Should we quit speculation, await the truth?
I never watched or participated in a trial hearing on WS.
My impression of what we're meant to be doing is reporting back from trial and discussing?

I still do not understand why vol mansl was removed, If the term was superfluous to begin with why was it ever there?
I had no luck searching it out either, I didn't find precedence, but thats not saying its not there.

It probably goes back to the Grand Jury that handed down the indictments. IDK for sure. That may be a statement about the excessive force. But the key words (I think) that describe the difference between 1st degree and 2nd degree are motive and malice. IMO

But you don't know what she confessed to for sure. Putting on gloves is evidence of pre-meditation. IMO

Are not all interviews recorded in the states? I would have thought they would not have made such a brazen statement in the search warrant if they could not prove it.

All IMO

It probably goes back to the Grand Jury that handed down the indictments. IDK for sure. That may be a statement about the excessive force. But the key words (I think) that describe the difference between 1st degree and 2nd degree are motive and malice. IMO

The difference is premiditation. So if it was planned for days etc. 1st degree. Not premeditated, 2nd degree.

I hope Jack talked about it in his interview. I for one, would like to know more about what he has to say about that. But maybe we will never hear it. IDK You can't "un-ring" the bell, meaning Molly can't be denied her right to confront her accuser like admitting the Skype interview would do. In the Dragonfly House interviews the children didn't accuse anyone of a crime that I know of, and there may be parts of them that are not allowed. In fact, the children were probably held harmless from anything they said.

I may be wrong, but if any child tells a health care professional that he/she has been abused, it is manditory that it be reported to authorities and investigated. IMO

you are correct any child that tell a health care professional that he/she is abused ,is mandatory to be reported to authorities which is why shierfs office was contacted and skyped jc after jc spoke of lying in dragonfly interview maybe he told his therapist why he lied? personaly i dont want to know what he had to say as i dont think these children are mature enough to deal with this been made public and other children speaking to them about it esp jc as many teens would be able to find this online

Just watched this show for the first time - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5827228/

Apt, given where we are in the trial just now. Gives a great insight into how each side could be analysing potential jurors!
(a little light relief, before the onslaught of the trial)

you are correct any child that tell a health care professional that he/she is abused ,is mandatory to be reported to authorities which is why shierfs office was contacted and skyped jc after jc spoke of lying in dragonfly interview maybe he told his therapist why he lied? personaly i dont want to know what he had to say as i dont think these children are mature enough to deal with this been made public and other children speaking to them about it esp jc as many teens would be able to find this online
That's why I posted this Bernie Miller. I don't feel there is any need of it imo. I personally will be refraining.
Could I suggest that unless the children are brought into trial which suggestions are they won't be, that we all as a group come to a consensus to make them off limits. They aren't on trial and have been through so very much. They are orphaned children and their guardian's also requested they not be brought into social media or any media for that matter. Perhaps we can collectively respect yheir wishes. I say this sincerely.

It's only a thought but maybe we too can respect that. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, I dont mean to disagree with every statement but you are completely disregarding the initial interview. You say that you want JC to talk about his experience but completely disregard his initial interview as well as his recantation. The children are not going to be giving evidence. This has been made clear by their guardians who wish to protect them from this procedure.

The question of whether the children stated there was abuse is not the big question, the question is whether they were coerced and whether they have been recanted. The Judge has to give weight to this. JC has recanted his statement. If it is put before the jury his original statement and recantation should be also.

All IMO

Who is petitioning for those interviews to be admitted? if they are part of Dragonfly House records then they are part of the motion and should come into evidence as well. IMO Nobody wants the children to testify. But like I've been saying, I'm not so sure that he wouldn't have to testify himself to get the interviews thrown out; I only think this way because Molly has a RIGHT to confront her accuser and she wouldn't be able to do so with the Skype interview. And how were they coerced by asking SC to go first? The detective did the opposite anyway. IMO

Who is petitioning for those interviews to be admitted? if they are part of Dragonfly House records then they are part of the motion and should come into evidence as well. IMO Nobody wants the children to testify. But like I've been saying, I'm not so sure that he wouldn't have to testify himself to get the interviews thrown out; I only think this way because Molly has a RIGHT to confront her accuser and she wouldn't be able to do so with the Skype interview. And how were they coerced by asking SC to go first? The detective did the opposite anyway. IMO

I think we have gone over this many times. The defence want the Dragonfly House interviews admitted and want to omit the others.

My argument is, as I have said numerous times, if thdy want to include one, then include them all. Besides, how can MM confront her accused if interviews 1 and 3 are omitted??

All IMO

I don't know of too many golf gloves that would survive the abrasive brick. Besides, if she stopped to put on gloves in order to strike him, wouldn't that be First Degree Murder?

https://www.amazon.com/AuraForm-Pad...1500413817&sr=8-2&keywords=padded+golf+gloves

There are padded yoga gloves, padded gardening gloves. Lots of padded gloves.

There are also many types of smooth paving and landscape Stones.
https://www.bradstone.com/products/contemporary-paving/smooth-natural-sandstone-paving/

Anything is possible.

Does anybody else find it interesting that a potential juror (assuming he has now been dismissed much to the disappointment of the defence I would think)Would say this. She is noticeably conservatively dressed .
Another prospective juror, when asked about what media coverage of the case they had watched, commented: "Miss Molly don't look like what was in the papers."
The prospective juror insisted they had not formed any opinion on the case despite having read that the incident may have been linked to a row over money and that Mr Martens was "only trying to protect the daughter."

http://m.independent.ie/world-news/...e-murder-trial-of-jason-corbett-35943858.html

We don't actually know at this point who asked Jack to lie in the original interviews. They were surrounded by adults with a vested interest after their father's death, it is possible that people who are used to covering for Molly tried to 'encourage' Jack to do the same. The kids spent alot of time in the care of Sharon Martens while Molly was being interviewed. They were living in the home of her brother. Uncle Mike & Mona were busy 'supporting' by organising cremations, and life insurance, and passports. Anyone could have influenced Jack. You don't have to blatantly threaten in order to influence a child of that age and in that emotional disposition to view things in a particular way.

Unless it WAS Molly who asked Jack to lie for her, but IMO she has already discredited his evidence by stating many times on social media that anything he utters after leaving her care will be lies anyway, so surely the defense would be able to dismiss it via an alternative means?

Exactly they have this option. They also have the option to convict on 2nd degree if the believe it warranted this and excessive force was used.

I think the medical evidence provided in this regard is key.

I think I have asked this before but not sure does an autopsy give an indication of time of death? I know the ME reports the time of death when stated by the paramedics. Given the fact that neither TM or MM were out of breath on the 911 call is suspicious to me - given this violent fight they had just been in.

All IMO

NC 206.30 SECOND DEGREE MURDER WHERE A DEADLY WEAPON IS USED, COVERING ALL LESSOR OFFENSES AND SELF DEFENSE:

"Voluntary manslaughter is also committed if the defendant kills in self- defense but uses excessive force under the circumstances or was the aggressor without murderous intent in bringing on the fight in which the killing took place. Again, the burden is on the State to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant did not act in self defense.

However, if the State proves beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant, though otherwise acting in self-defense, [used excessive force] (or) [was the aggressor, though the defendant had no murderous intent when the defendant entered the fight], the defendant would be guilty of voluntary manslaughter.14"

Time of Death is not necessarily when it says in the coroner's report. I think it is the time when it was called by the EMT and written down. IMO

Hoping a pysch eval was done on MM. It is also interesting that Dad handled the outbursts when MM had them. So many things can be said about that but I will hold off . Its a tragedy all around; children have lost both parents (JC and the biological mom) , the trial.......
I'm hoping a psych evaluation was done on both of them.
Your post reminded me that it was unclear if any of them had been drug or alcohol tested on the night Jason died. We talked about it.. I think we didn't know.

Holton says they weren't
http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20160324/attorney-maintains-corbetts-innocence

Holton said Martens and his client had minor amounts of alcohol prior to the Jason Corbett’s death. He said authorities didn’t test the daughter and father for alcohol because deputies “clearly” didn’t think it was a factor.
Holton said Jason Corbett had an alcohol level of .02, which was measured seven hours after his death. He said his team will have an expert who will testify on the true level at the time of Corbett’s death. Davidson County Sheriff David Grice said he couldn’t comment on any possible alcohol involvement because that aspect is of the “evidentiary nature.”

And, of course, whether the recantation was coerced.
i vry much doubt it Electric Sheep because child health care professionals in Ireland are held to extraordinarily high ethical standards.
I also think its credible because the timing is congruent with a stage of realisation in a child's mind regarding a major shocking life event.. death of a parent, death of a second parent in this child's case and the beginning of an understanding of murder, and murder by significant others to boot.
Major betrayal and Like others have said and I have said too, forcefully on many occasion- lets leave them alone.
They can read but I would prefer they did not lest theyfeel compelled or in a case of transference, that the burden becomes shifted to their wee shoulders.
I know the media will be splattered with stories and that is unavoidable but we dont need to add to it, do we?
Its not our case, we dont own it and we dont have any rights here.
I even have a strong inclination to stay away from now on, lest I contribute to voyeurism or vampirism. Its none of my business.
But I do honestly appreciate this space and having spent more time here looking at other cases I am beginning to understand too that there exists a level of ethics in the rules that I have not always appreciated but am coming to understand are so respectful of the dead and humanity that they merge with the sacred in many aspects.

Its one thing sleuthing a case, searching for answers and its awfully exciting challenging and wholly engaging and forces one to expand one's mind and..work.
But a man has died.
His children are orphans.
What can I realistically contribute at this stage?
Thanks .

i vry much doubt it Electric Sheep because child health care professionals in Ireland are held to extraordinarily high ethical standards.
I also think its credible because the timing is congruent with a stage of realisation in a child's mind regarding a major shocking life event.. death of a parent, death of a second parent in this child's case and the beginning of an understanding of murder, and murder by significant others to boot.
Major betrayal and Like others have said and I have said too, forcefully on many occasion- lets leave them alone.
They can read but I would prefer they did not lest theyfeel compelled or in a case of transference, that the burden becomes shifted to their wee shoulders.
I know the media will be splattered with stories and that is unavoidable but we dont need to add to it, do we?
Its not our case, we dont own it and we dont have any rights here.
I even have a strong inclination to stay away from now on, lest I contribute to voyeurism or vampirism. Its none of my business.
But I do honestly appreciate this space and having spent more time here looking at other cases I am beginning to understand too that there exists a level of ethics in the rules that I have not always appreciated but am coming to understand are so respectful of the dead and humanity that they merge with the sacred in many aspects.

Its one thing sleuthing a case, searching for answers and its awfully exciting challenging and wholly engaging and forces one to expand one's mind and..work.
But a man has died.
His children are orphans.
What can I realistically contribute at this stage?
Thanks .
You have a lot to contribute. And all posts to date have been put together with both a nod to intelligent discussion and respect for the victim at all times.

Your imput will be appreciated during trial. Think like a prosecutor, don't let the noise around you distract from what you believe and know to be the truth 😊

There was a mention yesterday of the case being covered by 48 hours or 20/20 I am thinking maybe this isn't such a bad thing for the case.

Wasn't Jody Arias interview with 48 hours and several others used to contradict her testimony in court. If MM was not to take the stand I wonder can any interviews be given to evidence?

Mot opinions only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members