GUILTY NC - Kathleen Peterson, 48, found dead in her Durham home, 9 Dec 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Literally just finished the documentary on this case which is currently available on BBC iPlayer. Maybe because of the retrial? Anyway. Fascinating.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Anybody watching live? I can't, but I believe it's being broadcast right now on www.wral.com
WRAL often live streams courthouse events on high-profile cases. They do a good job, IMO. WTVD (Raleigh/Durham) will also livestream high-profile cases or hearings.

Big News Flash from WRAL:

Local News

[h=1]Sources: Mike Peterson to take manslaughter plea in wife's death[/h] Posted 23 minutes ago
Updated 6:00 p.m. today

Durham, N.C. — More than 15 years after his wife was killed and more than five years after his murder conviction was overturned, Mike Peterson has reached a plea deal to finally resolve the case, according to defense attorney David Rudolf.
Although Rudolf wouldn't elaborate on the deal, sources told WRAL News that Peterson has agreed to enter an Alford plea to a charge of voluntary manslaughter, receive a sentence less than the time he's already served in prison and effectively walk out of the courthouse a free man later this month.

http://www.wral.com/sources-mike-peterson-to-take-manslaughter-plea-in-wife-s-death/16511861/

Pretty cheap, huh? And, of all things, an Alford plea. That's what an expensive attorney can do for you, I'd say.

Grrrr.

I guess we can thank Deaver for this outcome. Jacka$$.

I guess we'll never really know. This really, really pizzes me off. Totally clear of one probable staircase murder, and a very puny sentence for a second cruel staircase murder. Dayam. :(

I guess we can thank Deaver for this outcome. Jacka$$.

I think we can also thank Durham for doing such a poor job of preserving the evidence in the meantime. I watched some of the testimony when they showed the state of the evidence boxes. They were a hot mess. I think that gave Rudolph quite a bit of leverage. Hope those French filmmakers are making The Staircase episodes 6-12 (or whatever number) about this phase of the case. I would love to have been a fly on the wall during some of Rudolph's strategy sessions.

I hate to say it, but IMO you are right about Durham -- they (mainly the LEO's and the investigators) are what, IMO, resulted in a NG plea for Laurence Lovette, the already-convicted co-murderer of Eve Carson in Chapel Hill, in the murder of another student. This murder was of Abhijit Mahato, a grad student at Duke Univ. who was here studying from India. The article below is from Eve's mother, and she points out the same things I saw in action during the investigation of Mahato's death and during the trial which was live-streamed. There is a lot of crime in Durham, and I am not sure if they have enuff LE to go around. Anyway, Lovette is in for life on the Carson murder, but it would have been nice to see a second murder 1st conviction on him. He, too, allegedly took Mahato to ATMs to force him to withdraw money and then when they got back to his apt., it is presumed that Lovette shot Mahato dead -- between the eyes. Oh, well.

I guess guilty of manslaughter is better than NG of 1st or 2nd degree murder. Grrrrrr.

IMHO, Mr. Peterson, and no one and nothing else, murdered Kathleen Peterson by battering her to death on that staircase. Period.
-----------------------------------------

Eve Carson’s mother says Durham police ‘grievously failed’ family of murdered Duke grad student
DURHAM, N.C. — Eve Carson’s mother believes the Durham Police Department failed the family of Abhijit Mahato with an incomplete investigation into his murder, according to the News & Observer of Raleigh.

Posted 5:12 pm, July 31, 2014, by Web Staff, Updated at 05:13PM, July 31, 2014

http://myfox8.com/2014/07/31/eve-carsons-mother-says-durham-police-grievously-failed-family-of-murdered-duke-grad-student/

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...er-of-Abhijit-Mahato-2/page8&highlight=Mahato

I hate to say it, but IMO you are right about Durham -- they (mainly the LEO's and the investigators) are what, IMO, resulted in a NG plea for Laurence Lovette, the already-convicted co-murderer of Eve Carson in Chapel Hill, in the murder of another student. This murder was of Abhijit Mahato, a grad student at Duke Univ. who was here studying from India. The article below is from Eve's mother, and she points out the same things I saw in action during the investigation of Mahato's death and during the trial which was live-streamed. There is a lot of crime in Durham, and I am not sure if they have enuff LE to go around. Anyway, Lovette is in for life on the Carson murder, but it would have been nice to see a second murder 1st conviction on him. He, too, allegedly took Mahato to ATMs to force him to withdraw money and then when they got back to his apt., it is presumed that Lovette shot Mahato dead -- between the eyes. Oh, well.

I guess guilty of manslaughter is better than NG of 1st or 2nd degree murder. Grrrrrr.

IMHO, Mr. Peterson, and no one and nothing else, murdered Kathleen Peterson by battering her to death on that staircase. Period.
-----------------------------------------

Eve Carson’s mother says Durham police ‘grievously failed’ family of murdered Duke grad student

Posted 5:12 pm, July 31, 2014, by Web Staff, Updated at 05:13PM, July 31, 2014

http://myfox8.com/2014/07/31/eve-carsons-mother-says-durham-police-grievously-failed-family-of-murdered-duke-grad-student/

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...er-of-Abhijit-Mahato-2/page8&highlight=Mahato

That was one of the cases that brought me here. I lived in Chapel Hill at the time. I have mentioned ad nauseum that I live in Michael Peterson's neighborhood, but what's weird and creepy is that Lovette grew up only a few blocks from my house! Just one neighborhood over, but only about one block outside the official boundary of Forest Hills, in Morehead Hill across from a small elementary school on a quiet street. I was walking my dog around Shepard Street, and I thought, "Shepard Street...what bell is that ringing?" and sure enough, when I went back to articles on the Eve Carson case, he lived on Shepard Street with his mother. Once I knew that, I recognized the house from the photos of the day the search warrant was executed, and here's what's really creepy. You know how he and Atwater drove Lovette's mother's car to Chapel Hill that night? It was parked in front of the house.

Yep, I remember -- it was a PT Cruiser -- purple, IIRC -- parked right there in front. You could tell that she operated a preschool at her home at the time -- the front yard was very kid-friendly. Nice neighborhood. Poor woman. Her only child -- Lovette's dad died when LL was about 15 -- a big blow to him. That's when things really went south for him. Please know that I am not giving excuses -- just pointing out that he had a lot going for him, and he just walked away from it all and got cocky and tried to be the Big Man. Oh, well, now he is in the Big House. For life.

Yep, I remember -- it was a PT Cruiser -- purple, IIRC -- parked right there in front. You could tell that she operated a preschool at her home at the time -- the front yard was very kid-friendly. Nice neighborhood. Poor woman. Her only child -- Lovette's dad died when LL was about 15 -- a big blow to him. That's when things really went south for him. Please know that I am not giving excuses -- just pointing out that he had a lot going for him, and he just walked away from it all and got cocky and tried to be the Big Man. Oh, well, now he is in the Big House. For life.

Yeah, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but the purple PT Cruiser is still parked in front of the house, nine years on. Speaking of which, the anniversary is coming up in less than a month.

It's one of the more modest houses in the general neighborhood, but it's a nice neighborhood with nice people, right across the street from a popular Montessori elementary school, not a gang-infested place like some other neighborhoods in Durham. Atwater was from the projects, more of what fit my expectation, based, on I guess, stereotypes and the way the two of them and their general circle of friends were described in the media. There are some very rough neighborhoods in Durham, but the Lovettes' wasn't one of them. His mom gave him a good life. Poor woman.

What a miscarriage of justice. I am so disappointed in Durham Co. My heart goes out to all those who love Kathleen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a miscarriage of justice. I am so disappointed in Durham Co. My heart goes out to all those who love Kathleen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree completely -- he is guilty, guilty, guilty -- but I can't help but think that part of the reason for the prosecutor agreeing to the plea was the condition of the evidence, and not wanting to risk a NG plea. Dammit, it makes me very, very angry.

Sleep well Mr. Peterson, sleep well. :(

All MOO.

All I can say is, "wowie wow!" xo
laces

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members