NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
D may have originally said to cops that she locked her keys in the car down in the HT lot when she first realized her car was GONE right after the 911 call was made and started to freak out a little bit...and maybe didn't remember all of what had happened the night before...but then as the day progressed, started to realize the enormity of everything that was transpiring and realized she better come clean with all she remembered, however irresponsible and bad it sounded. So, IMO, by the time the second 911 call was made by medical, D had begun to tell the cops what she knew and remembered about that night. But, by that time, the story about the Durango in the HT lot and keys being locked in it had already leaked to the media, and it was too late to stop that train. Now, with the tapes released and more info out now, trying to decipher thru what's real and what's not is harder but putting the pieces together makes a little more sense. I don't think she ever used the path. IMO, she drove down to the HT or GG both time, hence the 2 receipts, and maybe that's where she met this person (one of the two places) and then they drove back up to the house together later in the night...and drank, maybe drugged (plastic baggie corners, spoons etc)....and then the night progresses....

The fact that KT's daughter thinks it was random after a month says a lot.
She knows first hand how the cops are treating DH.

Hmmm.
That info about GG also could provide a window of opportunity for a random intruder to enter the home when D was out...she unlocked door so she could get back in.

Another hint
....the cops passed out flyers between 11 PM and 2 AM for a reason.
Sounds like D left at 11 PM to go to GG and then walked back up at 2AM.
She stated she checked on KT and she apparently was "snoring" and then went upstairs around 3AM.

So D. left her sister to watch Paper Moon by herself with an unlocked front door??

So D. left her sister to watch Paper Moon by herself with an unlocked front door??

Of course not.
By 11PM I am sure the movie was over and KT is bed with pain meds.
Leaving the back door unlocked would not be too unusual, especially since it was not her home.

D may have invited a "friend" from Oriental to meet her in Raleigh. She had a free place to stay in an area with a lot more action than Oriental. That person may have known KT. Dh and KT have condos next to each other in Oriental.

I've heard rumors coming from G'ville that she had to be checked into a hospital for anxiety. Again, just rumors....

I've heard rumors coming from G'ville that she had to be checked into a hospital for anxiety. Again, just rumors....

Maybe rehab?
After this, a family intervention convinced her she needed help.

The "corners of plastic bags" found in the house stand out as especially strange. That's a well-known way for drug dealers to divide portions of what they're selling, and there's really no good reason for any of those to be in the house.

Hmmm.
That info about GG also could provide a window of opportunity for a random intruder to enter the home when D was out...she unlocked door so she could get back in.

Another hint
....the cops passed out flyers between 11 PM and 2 AM for a reason.
Sounds like D left at 11 PM to go to GG and then walked back up at 2AM.
She stated she checked on KT and she apparently was "snoring" and then went upstairs around 3AM.

That sounds right. I live nearby. My sources say D was seen at GG drinking that night. I'd also heard that she walked the path home at some point that night. At any rate, the GG bar stops serving at 2:00 w/ all drinks off the table by 2:30 so that timeline fits with her 3 am turn-in. What I don't get (and it probably doesn't matter other than to support her frame of mind as either impaired or otherwise not right) is how you could go to bed knowing your car is running (and it was, in fact, running: HT employee I spoke with said they were all dumbfounded by the sight of the running car the next morning - knowing it had been there all night). I know past posts have covered this but it still just leaps out at me as one of the more bizarre features of this whole scenario.
Random intruder while D was out (and door left unlocked) is very plausible.

The only problem I have with the random intruder is the baggie corners and the two beers.

Also FWIW. I bet there were more beers in the fridge, but LE only took the open ones.

The "corners of plastic bags" found in the house stand out as especially strange. That's a well-known way for drug dealers to divide portions of what they're selling, and there's really no good reason for any of those to be in the house.

How do we know DH was not doing drugs on her own?
We know she had a DWI and it was stated by numerous sources she was an alcoholic.

The items seized the first day..glasses, bowls, spoons, cutting board, beer bottles, diet coke, crackers and cereal don't necessarily suggest "company".
Good police work to verify though. I am sure D was a solid 'person of interest' in the early days because her story was sketchy and maybe inconsistent.

That sounds right. I live nearby. My sources say D was seen at GG drinking that night. I'd also heard that she walked the path home at some point that night. At any rate, the GG bar stops serving at 2:00 w/ all drinks off the table by 2:30 so that timeline fits with her 3 am turn-in. What I don't get (and it probably doesn't matter other than to support her frame of mind as either impaired or otherwise not right) is how you could go to bed knowing your car is running (and it was, in fact, running: HT employee I spoke with said they were all dumbfounded by the sight of the running car the next morning - knowing it had been there all night). I know past posts have covered this but it still just leaps out at me as one of the more bizarre features of this whole scenario.
Random intruder while D was out (and door left unlocked) is very plausible.

Thanks for the confirmation katsmom.
Many of us locals heard early on she was at GG that night but it quickly died down , as there was no solid confirmation. Yes, walking the path home around 2AM seems to fit the time-line perfectly.

Again, the cops were interested in unusual activity between 11 PM and 2 AM

Baggie corners imply more than doing drugs. They point to dealing/trafficking.

If you are new to this case, I've got a summary of information I've collected.

I can start a new thread and put it at the front ... it's also in my signature but right now it takes you out of Websleuths.

Of course not.
By 11PM I am sure the movie was over and KT is bed with pain meds.
Leaving the back door unlocked would not be too unusual, especially since it was not her home.

I was watching the same movie...it was after 11:00 pm..check your TV scheduling for Friday..hope this helps

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5047864#post5047864"]NC - Kathy Taft NC School Board Member Murdered # 3 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

This is the new thread but don't start posting there yet.

I need to add my summary info and make sure it does not violate the TOS here. I'll let you know when it is open.

Baggie corners imply more than doing drugs. They point to dealing/trafficking.

I would assume users would buy the drugs in the small sealed bag corners.
It just says "plastic bag corners"...could be 2
IMO, that does not imply dealing/trafficking.

I was watching the same movie...it was after 11:00 pm..check your TV scheduling for Friday..hope this helps

Does that mean KT watched the entire movie before retiring early?
In fact, it seems very likely that would be the case, considering her post-op condition...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025