NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JTF...You continue to miss the point. You do not need to steal something for a burglary to have been committed. That is a common misnomer. He entered the premises and committed multiple felonies.

The comparison by another member regarding a cancer diagnosis and pink eye shows a lack of knowledge of the law. When a criminal is arrested you charge him/her with all crimes committed hence the assault, rape and murder charges. B&E is a separate thing (a misdemeanor). Burglary is a felony. JW committed burglary by entering that house and committing the other crimes.

LE charge an individual with all crimes committed - not just the most serious. Trust me on this. I have been a LE officer for 24 years. There is some other reason he was not charged with Burglary.

hannie, I guess we will just need to wait and see.
For me, 1st degree murder and 1st degree rape is good enough for now....but then again, has anyone seen the arrest warrant?

BTW, are you suggesting JW was perhaps 'invited ' into the home by DH?

JTF...You continue to miss the point. You do not need to steal something for a burglary to have been committed. That is a common misnomer. He entered the premises and committed multiple felonies.

The comparison by another member regarding a cancer diagnosis and pink eye shows a lack of knowledge of the law. When a criminal is arrested you charge him/her with all crimes committed hence the assault, rape and murder charges. B&E is a separate thing (a misdemeanor). Burglary is a felony. JW committed burglary by entering that house and committing the other crimes.

LE charge an individual with all crimes committed - not just the most serious. Trust me on this. I have been a LE officer for 24 years. There is some other reason he was not charged with Burglary.

Good point Hannie....Well if you have been an LE officer, you might be able to give us a list of reasons perp not charged with Burglary - then we can speculate from your list. you could have the hidden key here!

Maybe LE took the facebook and other sites down. After all, a person can look at the time of postings to find when JW was using the computer. And I"m sure his computer was confiscated. One article said LE spent the night at his apartment searching for items, etc.

Another good point Pinkorchid. I had thought of that, but then leaned toward someone knowing him. but you are absolutely right but why wouldn't they have done it right away before public was able to get on! I would guess that would be one of the first things they would have done. & FB is a good place to watch a suspected perp before the fact! but you are right, could have been LE too!

and.... would just LOVE TO PICK YOUR Brain on this Whodonit!!! bet you have your suspicions locked in with your background!!!

Perhaps, but I'm not sure of course. The Chief was somewhat vague when asked about DH at the press conference. His entire body language changed and he took a long pause before answering. He seemed to choose his words about the question regarding her slowly and more carefully. It's the omission of the burglary charge that I find so interesting. Like it was left off for a reason. In other words, did he have some type of permission to be in the house prior (ie: handyman or something whereby he may have had a key), was he let in at some point? Did he help DH with her locked car key situation? There are obviously alot of unanswered questions here, and the lack of the burglary charge is a big one.

hannie...you may recall the 2005 Raleigh case where Drew Planten broke into Stephanie Bennett's apartment and brutally raped and murdered her?
The cops solved the case several years later by getting his DNA.

Guess what, he was charged with first degree murder only...no "burglary charge....not even rape.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/121581/

Yes Hannie I guess a good question to know would be if anyone even knows if he was employed by any one at any time as a handyman or was ever hired for any "work" or "fixups" or "repair work" in the neighborhood with his background??? your Q about the lack of a burglary charge ---that could very well be one of the important missing links here. interesting.

hannie...you may recall the 2005 Raleigh case where Drew Planten broke into Stephanie Bennett's apartment and brutally raped and murdered her?
The cops solved the case several years later by getting his DNA.

Guess what, he was charged with first degree murder only...no "burglary charge....not even rape.

JTF I have never followed SB's case, but do you know if that perp was invited in??? do you know why perp not charged with burglary or rape in SB's case???

Speaking of Drew Planten,....the DA sealed the SW of his apartment search after his arrest.
Looks like JW's search warrant will likely be seal as well.

"DNA match prompted Planten's arrest. They also searched his apartment at 418 Buck Jones Road and a 1973 Chevrolet Camaro. WRAL has learned those search warrants were sealed by a judge.
"It's not sealed forever," Spurlin said. "It's just sealed to give police an opportunity to do what they need to do with the information."

JTF. A little more research will show that burglary was one of the charges in that case.

amanda lamb from most recent WRAL report:

"Sources said Williford refused to provide DNA to police, which made investigators suspicious. Officers then followed him for a while and picked up a cigarette butt that he left behind, which was then sent to the State Bureau of Investigation crime lab for testing, sources said.

The DNA gave police probable cause for police to arrest Williford and search his apartment, sources said."

Hmmm..just as we suspected.

Sources said Williford refused to provide DNA to police, which made investigators suspicious. Officers then followed him for a while and picked up a cigarette butt that he left behind, which was then sent to the State Bureau of Investigation crime lab for testing, sources said.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7444506/

sorry ss, I see you just saw the same report

For me, 1st degree murder and 1st degree rape is good enough for now....but then again, has anyone seen the arrest warrant?

That's what I was saying, too, Hannie. (I know little of the law!)_ Glad to know you have LE experience - you will be an asset to us as this plays itself out.

JW"

The burglary charge was noted in the list of charges on paperwork the family filed in a civil lawsuit. And again, he did not have to have stolen the radio to be charged with it. He committed burglary and murder. Burglary because he entered the house to committ the crime.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7393281

Jason Williford was just in court for a few minutes and then was sent back to detention

No live video...

During a brief court appearance Monday afternoon, attorneys Williford asked for a court-appointed attorney, and the North Carolina Capital Defender's Office assigned Diane Savage of Durham and Ernest Conner of Greenville to the case.
Williford's next court hearing was set for May 10. He is being held without bond in the Wake County jail.

Court appointed attorneys.

"During a brief court appearance Monday afternoon, attorneys Williford asked for a court-appointed attorney, and the North Carolina Capital Defender's Office assigned Diane Savage of Durham and Ernest Conner of Greenville to the case.

Williford's next court hearing was set for May 10. He is being held without bond in the Wake County jail."

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7444506/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member