NC - Keith Scott, 43, killed by LEO, Charlotte, 20 Sept 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god. I live in England and one of my best friends moved to Charlotte (with her hubby and 3 little kids) a couple of weeks ago. She'd been sending pics from the city and having a great time and now she's not, she's upset and scared and so are we, it's taken the edge off her new life out there. But as she said, she will get over it, the town will recover, and then it will happen all over again somewhere else. Sad.

Must be too young to remember all of the bombs from the IRA? No trash barrels for garbage in London when I was there like 17 years ago.

They cancelled classes at CPCC (where I work) and are starting to send people home early. We are about a mile from Trade & Tryon where protesters gathered last night. I know they rolled some National Guard people into the area but I can't see anything from my office. Also, the National Guard is stationed at the airport which about 15 minutes away from uptown.

I wonder why they would set up at the airport. It's only 15-20 minute drive but it's not very convenient to the area where the riots have been, IMO.

I wonder why they would set up at the airport. It's only 15-20 minute drive but it's not very convenient to the area where the riots have been, IMO.

Space? The airport might have the space. Just a guess. I don't know....just want a peaceful night for Charlotte!

:peace:

Must be too young to remember all of the bombs from the IRA? No trash barrels for garbage in London when I was there like 17 years ago.

Not too young but fortunately (and purposely) nowhere near London. Still no rubbish bins in many public places in cities though!

Space? The airport might have the space. Just a guess. I don't know....just want a peaceful night for Charlotte!

:peace:

Right. They need to set up sleeping quarters, supply tents etc.
They need space to do that far enough away from the hot spots or they could end up having to defend their post from the rioters. jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The officers who approached him didn't know this and were not looking for him at the time. As far as they knew he was clean Joe Citizen doing nothing other than sitting in his car, possibly with a gun he was legally permitted to carry.

I know that but according to his family he did not own a weapon so I doubt seriously he had a permit to carry. I posted what I did because it speaks to his character.

Right. They need to set up sleeping quarters, supply tents etc.
They need space to do that far enough away from the hot spots or they could end up having to defend their post from the rioters. jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that all makes sense. I guess they could also bring in more troops and more supplies quickly through the airport as well. I just hope they will not have any more clashes now that the National Guard is there. Praying for peace in the Queen City tonight. :prayer:

We will find out soon enough if the gun was legal. I'm still waiting for all the evidence.

Editorial: Charlotte is Drowning in Systematic Injustice

There is unrest in Charlotte because of what we know.

We know that the law, as written and enforced, cannot protect us from police violence.

We know Darryl Hunt and Henry McCollum, two in a long list of African-American men wrongfully convicted in this state.

We know our criminal justice system does not function to protect black life, but to control it.

We also know, since the Supreme Court upheld a lower court's ruling on August 31st, that Governor Pat McCrory, former mayor of Charlotte, targeted African-Americans with "almost surgical precision" when he signed a 2013 voter suppression bill. When the highest court in the land declared the law intentionally racist, McCrory made no apology. His party's chairman doubled-down by trying to use the state Board of Elections to limit the number of polling places in areas where African-Americans generally vote.

We know that, despite the fact that it would benefit more poor white people than African Americans, our legislature has refused to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, denying health insurance to the most vulnerable among us, simply because they don't like a black man in the White House.

We know that, while 56 percent of African-American workers make less than a living wage, Governor McCrory signed the mean-spirited HB2, which not only writes discrimination into state law but also forbids municipalities from passing a living wage ordinance or even measures to protect children in the workplace.

We know that our legislature, while touting an average increase in teacher pay, reduced total funding for public education and supported policies designed to undercut schools like the one Keith Scott's son was coming home from on the bus when he lost his daddy.

We know that they increasingly funnel public money to private academies, which lend themselves to the resegregation of public education, even though we know segregation hurts poor kids.

I am a pastor. I will not condemn grief. But I was trained as a lifeguard, and I learned a long time ago that when people are drowning, their instincts can kill them and anyone who tries to help them. If a lifeguard can get to a drowning person, the first thing the lifeguard says is, "Stop struggling. Let me hold you up in this water, and we can get to the shore together."

The riots in Charlotte are the predictable response of human beings who are drowning in systemic injustice. We must all pray that no one else gets hurt. But we must understand why this is happening.

Some still think that this nation is doing just fine except for those ugly pockets of poverty and segregation that routinely explode like Baltimore or Chicago. Others know better, but hope to move away from, and thus avoid addressing, the persistence of ugly racial injustice and the cries for help coming from black families.

Charlotte is their wake up call.

Much more at the link.

The Rev. Dr. William J. Barber is one of the most important Black voices in America today, imo.

When he speaks, people should listen.

No righteous indignation is ever a good enough excuse for violent riots that destroy innocent people's property or threaten innocent lives. So the article is a nonstarter from that point of view.

If this thing follows its usual path the criminals that paraded their ugliness last night will not utter much of a peep tonight...usually when the National Guard rolls in they run off for their next unfortunate city...

I fail to see the racial aspect when the officer who did the shooting is also black. Not the first time...so why are the black officers not included in the discussion of race? How is it they are on the other side of this systematic injustice?

The Rev. Dr. William J. Barber is one of the most important Black voices in America today, imo.

When he speaks, people should listen.

Thank you for the info. I simply cannot understand why people dismiss the evidence of discrimination. Why do people have to be so cruel ? All I can figure is as they were growing up, they did not get love that they needed so I have to be empathetic for their cries for love and acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971