NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just another chiming in having trouble buying the story. :(

HHmmm I think he was intoxicated from the cough syrup and killed her out of a rage, possible fight. There really isn't much difference if it was some other drug. He is going to jail. Her family doesn't seem to be behind him. Which he did stab their love one. But I think there is way more behind the scenes. I also think he was awake, and knows exactly what he did. Its pass 1 in the morning, if it was some accidently sleep stabbing he would be asleep.

I agree with everyone here - he was trying to set this up as a defense, but he killed her with intent. That is just MHO. One thing that clinches it for me is that he "took too much cold medicine", but he calls in just after 1:00 a.m. The blood is dried, indicating that it has been a while since he attacked her. She is still alive (she died at the hospital and was not declared dead at the scene); and he refuses to get close to her. If he took too much medicine and killed her, why didn't he wake up at 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning after killing her?

This makes me sick to my stomach for Lauren and her family.

:rose: R.I.P. Lauren :rose:

This is going to be an interesting case to say the least. I wanna see how well his defense works for him. I know nothing about DXM but I will add that the maker of Coricidin (Bayer) state no their product doesn't cause the kind of side effects that would result in a murder means nothing to me. Of course they will deny it. Can anyone say "major lawsuit" if it were proven to be true or them acknowledging that in tests, they found something like this happening as possible?

Just because it hasn't happen before, doesn't mean with his particular body chemistry, it couldn't have happened to him. I think further testing could rule this in or out.

I'm in wait and see mode. Not saying he did it, not saying he didn't. I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to categorically state one way or the other. IMHO.

Not sure where I am here (and I haven't listened to the 911 yet, so perhaps that would alter my thinking.)

It isn't unusual in some denominations for ministers to be bi-vocational (have a different day job). In our denomination this doesn't really happen much because of the way our call system works, but in some others it is pretty routine, so that doesn't set off any alarm bells for me.

His story seems far-fetched, and on top of that it is just natural to look at the spouse in cases of suspicious or violent death. A few other things concern me, so while I can say I'm on the fence, I might just be hanging there upside down from my shoelaces :)

I know of a real-life local case with some similarities, which is what give me some pause. A kid from my hometown killed his mother a few years ago after ingesting some synthetic high sold at the local convenience store. His mother had actually called the police when he came home high because he was not making any sense and she thought he was a danger to himself - but they'd had no argument or anything and she seemingly had no concerns at all for her own physical safety. While waiting for police and paramedics to arrive she went upstairs to check on him and he stabbed her to death. He has no memory of doing it though, and after being stabilized at the hospital he was distraught because he loved his mother. But he's still in jail for murder, which is probably what is important to this case. I think to the law here it was equivalent to getting blackout drunk and then getting behind the wheel of the car. Substance use/overuse is not an affirmative defense.

Not sure where I am here (and I haven't listened to the 911 yet, so perhaps that would alter my thinking.)

It isn't unusual in some denominations for ministers to be bi-vocational (have a different day job). In our denomination this doesn't really happen much because of the way our call system works, but in some others it is pretty routine, so that doesn't set off any alarm bells for me.

His story seems far-fetched, and on top of that it is just natural to look at the spouse in cases of suspicious or violent death. A few other things concern me, so while I can say I'm on the fence, I might just be hanging there upside down from my shoelaces :)

I know of a real-life local case with some similarities, which is what give me some pause. A kid from my hometown killed his mother a few years ago after ingesting some synthetic high sold at the local convenience store. His mother had actually called the police when he came home high because he was not making any sense and she thought he was a danger to himself - but they'd had no argument or anything and she seemingly had no concerns at all for her own physical safety. While waiting for police and paramedics to arrive she went upstairs to check on him and he stabbed her to death. He has no memory of doing it though, and after being stabilized at the hospital he was distraught because he loved his mother. But he's still in jail for murder, which is probably what is important to this case. I think to the law here it was equivalent to getting blackout drunk and then getting behind the wheel of the car. Substance use/overuse is not an affirmative defense.

Please do listen to the 911 call. "I'm too scared to go near her" and "I took coricidin Cough & Cold." He even recalls the NAME OF THE SPECIFIC FORMULA of coricidin in the wake of finding his wife bloody and a knife on the bed. I take cold medicine, but all I know is it's some form of mucinex, not the specific formulation, and it's mid-day, I'm lucid, not on meds and thinking hard to recall the name of what I take. This guy is full of it. He had his defense planned. Wanna bet his computer cache is cleared and/or their computer (if they had one) is missing? I don't know if one can wipe out data from smart phone internet searches or not. Or maybe he was sly enough to go to a library to use public computers to search about cold medicine incidents and side effects.

What angers me the most, after than the fact that he murdered a human being, is that his BS defense is going to drag her poor family through further hell.

Obviously, I will definitely not be selected if called for jury duty for this case. His 911 call is too telling for me to give even an iota of possibility to his claims.

well according to the 911 call, he awoke to find himself covered in dried blood. so his claim at least would be that he took too much medicine, woke up and stabbed his wife, got back into bed, slept, woke up later and found what he had done. Anyway my point is, he could have been "freaking out on cold meds" hours earlier but by the time of the call was in a different state.

Usually if someone's already working on an alibi during the 911 call, they're guilty.

Wanna bet his computer cache is cleared and/or their computer (if they had one) is missing? I don't know if one can wipe out data from smart phone internet searches or not. Or maybe he was sly enough to go to a library to use public computers to search about cold medicine incidents and side effects.

Internet service providers at the very least will be able to facilitate the authorities with that requirement ;)

PMS: Power, Money or Sex- I reckon 90% of murders happen due to one of these 3 motivations- is this case one of the 10%? We'll see soon enough.

Court records are behind paywall but the 2014 divorce that his former wife filed included a sealed file that can only be opened with a court order. She also filed a considerable distance from where he lived in Bowling Green, Ky. Just stumbled across mention of the divorce filing in a courthouse news digest of a small town paper in eastern Ky.

http://www.estilltribune.com/141029/Page5.pdf

I'm so sorry about your personal experience. :( I agree with you and I can't imagine not trying to help my loved one. The 911 call was chilling in that regard. The operator tried every possible way to get him to check to see if Lauren was breathing. He wouldn't do it. I have to wonder if his tears near the end of the call were because he realized his story wasn't going to hold up as well as he thought it would.

bbm me neither. But maybe he didn't love her?

Well, that's it. I am blaming cold medicine for my first marriage.
Also? The story about the doctor who killed his partner and two year old son? Heartbreaking. Get help.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crystalbohnet
Back