NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
[video=twitter;905159580367429633]https://twitter.com/StevenFabianTV/status/905159580367429633[/video]

[video=twitter;905160028205834240]https://twitter.com/StevenFabianTV/status/905160028205834240[/video]

And also, even today, in very many southern Baptist churches, the boards and congregations would frown on hiring a pastor that has been divorced. I know that may not hold true for a lot of the country, and I am not passing judgement, but trust me when I say I live here, and I go to a Baptist church.....JMO

SteveP, maybe I'm misunderstanding your post (I had a tough day and brain's not functioning at 100%), but the defendant is not a pastor. Comments under one of the news articles (WTVD) quote a family friend who said the family absolutely disputes that the defendant was a pastor or in training/prepping to be one. Some asserted that the media ran amok by stating their headline as "Aspiring pastor...."

Also, I find it interesting that the residence of Lauren and the defendant is owned by Lauren and her brother-in-law (her sister's husband). The defendant is not named on the deed. Lauren and her BIL purchased the town home in 2014. She and the defendant were married in 2016. Looks like she has all the assets, at least those visible to the public. But that sure is a pretty and sizeable diamond (if it's real) engagement ring on her finger; it looks expensive.

The defendant's parents hired Joe Cheshire to defend him, which will be pricey (he's not doing it pro bono). Perhaps his parents have some $.

I agree with others; this is going to be interesting, and may take a long time to be resolved in the judicial system.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/09/matth...carolina-murder-cold-medicine-sleep-911-call/

The dispatcher then asks Phelps if she is awake and what makes him think she’s dead, and he responds, “she’s not breathing. Oh my God,” and begins to cry. The dispatcher then asks Phelps if his wife is beyond help and he replies, “I don’t know, I’m too scared to get close to her.”

They shared a love for Star Wars, several photos on their Facebook pages show, and had a lightsaber battle during their wedding reception

According to Lauren’s obituary, the couple were members of Hope Lutheran Church in Wake Forest, North Carolina.

Photos on their Facebook pages show that they had been dating since at least 2014 before they were engaged and married. According to his Instagram page, they first began dating after finding each other on social media. [He went to her profile to confirm that it was her; the girl he had a crush on back in middle school. It was her! As quickly as his fingers could type, he sent Lauren a message… ]

Matt Phelps is originally from Bowling Green, Kentucky, according to his Facebook page. He works at Dunlap Lawn Service in Greensboro, North Carolina.

According to his Facebook page, Phelps, who has been described as an aspiring pastor, studied at missions and evangelism at Clear Creek Baptist Bible College in Pineville, Kentucky. He graduated from the school in 2011, he wrote on Facebook.

She worked as an auditor at Quintiles, and “one of her passions was her personal business with Scentsy,”
Lauren was also an active member of Hope Lutheran Church and was a Sunday school teacher as part of her work with the church’s Children’s and Youth Ministries

----
http://www.inspirationsyouth.com/treatments/teen-counter-otc-medicine-abuse/teen-triple-c-addiction-rehab/
[h=3]Triple C Substance Abuse Overview[/h][h=4]What is Triple C?[/h]Triple C’s, or Cordies depending on what part of the country you are from is a slang term for the over-the-counter medication Coricidin HBP Cough & Cold, which contains Dextromethorphan, or DXM. The medication is abused because it contains Dextromethorphan which, when taken in doses that dramatically exceed those recommended by physicians and pharmacists, produces hallucinations and a sense of dissociation. The medication is used legitimately to treat the symptoms that typically result from colds or upper respiratory allergies.
Same as above, PDF format:
https://www.tomah.k12.wi.us/ReadResourcePublicForm.aspx?resourceid=5312
----
https://www.ashwoodrecovery.com/blog/addicted-triple-c-means-life/

Perspective of teenager addicted to triple C:
“After the first time I did it I just really loved it. I would take them when I got up in the morning, before school, during school, after school, before I went to bed. I hallucinated a lot. It was kind of like I was in a dream or something, like so disassociated. I liked that feeling of not being in reality. And I just kept using it after that....

Dextromethorphan, found within Triple C, affects the brain and body in several different ways depending on how it is taken and how much of the drug is taken. Depending on the amount taken, abusing DXM results in four different levels of intoxication, each more dangerous than the last:

• Stage One: Inebriation, much like drunkenness from alcohol. This can include symptoms like the inability to walk straight, agitation, excitement, and exhibiting willingness to engage in risky behavior.
  • Stage Two: A deepened intoxication, causing slurred speech and in some cases mild cases of hallucination. At this stage short-term memory can also be adversely affected.
  • Stage Three: This stage, usually reached through heavy doses of DXM (up to 1,500 milligrams) results in a completely changed mode of consciousness. This is associated with heavy hallucinations, the loss of vision or other senses, and the complete loss of control over actions and behaviors.
  • Stage Four: This is the highest plateau of experience when taking DXM for a high, and can result in an out of body experience, with all physical senses being shut off completely. This level of high can be compared to taking PCP, a highly dangerous and addictive synthetic drug.

IMO that July IG post doesn't seem that dark, just a shout out to Trenton Reznor's music. However, unless a bunch of posts have been deleted, it is extremely odd that he went from having what was practically an instagram-themed wedding to zero posts after about two months (broken only by that one July post). It had been a constant stream of posts prior to the January 2017, after that, virtually nothing.

Maybe it was just deleted. Otherwise, it could be telling.

I missed the music reference...too old, I guess. :D I wondered about the gap in posts too. He posted obsessively prior to January 2017. I went back several years to at least 2013 before I got sick of seeing a constant stream of violent comic book covers interspersed with a few pictures of his very pretty first wife. Something either kept him from posting recently or he deleted them. Very strange.

There have been way more than that in Raleigh area. It's like an epidemic. Jason Young, murdered Michelle when she was pregnant. Brad Cooper murdered Nancy Cooper, Raven Abaroa murdered Janet, Grant Hayes killed mother of his kids Laura Akerson. And more.
Hi, old friend, gracielee - :seeya:- we've been missing you!! Welcome back!! Yep, this should be a good one -- different, but when we get down to it, it may not turn out to be that different. Everyone has to have an alibi, right?
:happydance::great:

If he chose to use this to get high couldn't he still be convicted of murder?

Please do listen to the 911 call. "I'm too scared to go near her" and "I took coricidin Cough & Cold." He even recalls the NAME OF THE SPECIFIC FORMULA of coricidin in the wake of finding his wife bloody and a knife on the bed. I take cold medicine, but all I know is it's some form of mucinex, not the specific formulation, and it's mid-day, I'm lucid, not on meds and thinking hard to recall the name of what I take. This guy is full of it. He had his defense planned. Wanna bet his computer cache is cleared and/or their computer (if they had one) is missing? I don't know if one can wipe out data from smart phone internet searches or not. Or maybe he was sly enough to go to a library to use public computers to search about cold medicine incidents and side effects.

What angers me the most, after than the fact that he murdered a human being, is that his BS defense is going to drag her poor family through further hell.

Obviously, I will definitely not be selected if called for jury duty for this case. His 911 call is too telling for me to give even an iota of possibility to his claims.

He is full of it, isn't he? There are such excellent points being made here by fellow posters. Your observation about him emphasizing the specific formula of the corricidin, is really noteworthy. He's calling 911, his wife is dying on the floor by their bed of stab wounds he inflicted & he's relating the info of the cold/cough medicine to the dispatcher? I too believe he researched before hand, what alibi he would use. How about the details he provided during his phone call? He starts sobbing at the end of a seven minute call? How about the point another poster made about the time he's calling the police, shortly after 1am. Given that the police arrested him after 6am of the same morning, is really telling. I'm certainly interested about any information that may come out regarding his first marriage. I . We know he doesn't have a police record. Lauren loved & believed in MT. Thinking there were chinks in the armor of behavior she may not have seen.

SteveP, maybe I'm misunderstanding your post (I had a tough day and brain's not functioning at 100%), but the defendant is not a pastor. Comments under one of the news articles (WTVD) quote a family friend who said the family absolutely disputes that the defendant was a pastor or in training/prepping to be one. Some asserted that the media ran amok by stating their headline as "Aspiring pastor...."

Also, I find it interesting that the residence of Lauren and the defendant is owned by Lauren and her brother-in-law (her sister's husband). The defendant is not named on the deed. Lauren and her BIL purchased the town home in 2014. She and the defendant were married in 2016. Looks like she has all the assets, at least those visible to the public. But that sure is a pretty and sizeable diamond (if it's real) engagement ring on her finger; it looks expensive.

The defendant's parents hired Joe Cheshire to defend him, which will be pricey (he's not doing it pro bono). Perhaps his parents have some $.

I agree with others; this is going to be interesting, and may take a long time to be resolved in the judicial system.

I wasn't implying that he was a pastor. I know that he wasn't, but he did go to a bible college and got a degree in ministry, IIRC. The next logical goal would seem to be pastoring a church perhaps on some level, or at least not working for a lawn care business. I was merely stating that, if he wished to become a pastor, at least some of his life choices perhaps were not falling in line with what is expected of a pastor. And I also noted in a prior post that my guess was that it was her income that was paying the bills far moreso than his, and that seems to maybe be the case. JMO

Sounds a lot like the 911 call no?
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

(First time I've ever seen Instagram...)

That I-gram is just plain odd, IMO. Just odd & a bit scary. <shiver>

Thanks for the link!

IMO that July IG post doesn't seem that dark, just a shout out to Trent Reznor's music. However, unless a bunch of posts have been deleted, it is extremely odd that he went from having what was practically an instagram-themed wedding to zero posts after about two months (broken only by that one July post). It had been a constant stream of posts prior to the January 2017, after that, virtually nothing.

Maybe it was just deleted. Otherwise, it could be telling.

:welcome6: to Websleuths, EthmoidalChaos!! We're glad you're here!!

:rollercoaster:

BBM...If he had no desire to become a pastor, perhaps Clear Creek Bible College was not the best choice of schools for him. I researched it, because I had never heard of it, and it is a very tiny school in rural Kentucky. Only has about 160 students. I am wondering if he was pressured to go there by his family, or if perhaps he could not get into any other schools, and his family had religious connections that got him into that one? It seems like, as some other poster said yesterday, that maybe he has been living his life to other people's expectations and they were getting in the way of his own desires for himself. JMO

:welcome6: to Websleuths, EthmoidalChaos!! We're glad you're here!!

:rollercoaster:

Ditto! When I responded to your post I didn't notice it was your first one. I appreciate your knowledge of more current music. :)

Ditto! When I responded to your post I didn't notice it was your first one. I appreciate your knowledge of more current music. :)

Y'all didn't catch the Trent Reznor reference?? Geez, y'all must be some old farts. (psst....I didn't either) ;)

I don't believe his excuse. I think he was high/drunk maybe on a couple of different things. Might have been sudden rage after a fight or something. They seemed like a really happy couple which makes the whole thing super sad. I wonder if we'll ever learn what caused his actions.

That said, I see absolutely nothing wrong with his IG. He's just a typical mid-late twenties nerdy geek, comic book and movie fan. Nothing wrong with any of that. I'm like that and many of my friends are too. I also don't find them "narcissistic". It was their wedding page, of course they'd post their engagement and cutesy couple pictures?

This one is gonna get a ton of coverage. Lester Holt and NBC news just did a story on it.

This case was just on Lester Holt - NBC Nightly News! Just about 1--2 minutes, but what a surprise... Phelps has made The Big Time. SMH.

Thanks for posting this. It's just so inconsistent for what I would think a Baptist pastor-in-the making would publish. NIN is pretty dark...

"Drifting into the abstract" is a NIN lyric, but "I'm just a pitiful anonymous" is a lyric from Marilyn Manson. I don't recognize the last part of that statement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denny
Back