NC - Loving father or abusive parent, spouse? Tales conflict in suspicious dog-leash death

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wouldn't be the first time defense claims some other cause of death than prosecution. Not sure why you are assuming prosecutors are wasting their time here.

If the cause of death is heart attack, and the prosecution alleges murder, wouldn't the medical evidence trump a police theory?

Wasn't his heart enlarged and he had blockages in several arteries? I need to find that article. He was alive for several days. I don't think that is normal with strangulation there's a lot that isn't normal. I doubt the son would have been charged he hadn't said the dog's leash was around his dad possibly strangling him. If he said his dad was dead and or he didn't think he was breathing, that would be a heart attack and people wouldn't have questioned it.
There were ligature marks on father's neck. So if he said dad was dead, and didn't mention the leash, how would that explain ligature marks? They didn't just magically appear.
"An autopsy later determined that William Bishop had died from homicide by strangulation, with ligature marks around his neck."
Son arrested in developer's mysterious dog leash death

Now this is just plain odd...

There was also this quote in the article above:

https://heavy.com/news/2019/02/alexander-bishop/

My bold in the quote above.

This quote was under the 5th Facts you need to know, so what is that??

What made her think/say it was a heart attack? Was he conscious in the hospital? If so, what did he tell her? If not, why did she think it was a heart attack?

Verrrry hinky, this one.
I think one of the articles stated that the doctors were treating him fora heart attack.

There were ligature marks on father's neck. So if he said dad was dead, and didn't mention the leash, how would that explain ligature marks? They didn't just magically appear.
"An autopsy later determined that William Bishop had died from homicide by strangulation, with ligature marks around his neck."
Son arrested in developer's mysterious dog leash death

If you find someone dead or almost dead, you call 911. You don't have to explain their injuries.

If you find someone dead or almost dead, you call 911. You don't have to explain their injuries.
Well I dunno but 911 operators usually ask callers what happened. Paramedics would presumably also asked what happened, as they want to know what is the reason for the person being almost dead in order to treat such person.

Well I dunno but 911 operators usually ask callers what happened. Paramedics would presumably also asked what happened, as they want to know what is the reason for the person being almost dead in order to treat such person.
If you don't know what medicine people take or why they are unconcious you can't answer those questions.

I've read enough to entertain the possibility that he was taking his dog for a walk when he had a heart attack. A most bizarre set of circumstances occurred that it left him sitting in a chair, his dog still on the leash, a possible scuffle that left them both winded, and a son who stumbled upon the scene.

I assume the prosecution can entertain all possibilities and fend them off. If there is an alternative to a bizarre set of circumstances where the man put the dog on the leash and the dog was found still tethered, but now to a dead or dying man, if the son put the leash on the dog and wanted the world to believe that the dog killed the man, why didn't he put the leash around the man's neck as well? We're talking about a child who is allegedly staging a crime where the dog killed his dad. Why would he expect anyone to buy that without also putting the leash around dad's neck. He didn't, which suggests to me that he is not staging this crime.

What sort of inside connection is going on that the ex-girlfriend not only implicated the son, but took control of the estate until faced with a court challenge?

Last edited:
Didn't the ex-girlfriend charge $68k to the estate for managing it, even though she stopped managing it the day before a court challenge trial? She sounds like a vulture, pouncing before the remains are cold. Where was she on the day that he was found in his chair?

Very bizarre indeed. I'm not sure what happened, and can see it's possible a crime, and possible to not be a crime. The man has a history of being suicidal as well. I don't know if one could commit suicide with a dog leash, but I don't think it would be impossible and considering people have committed suicide on a door knob, or a mailbox by strangulation, well, seems a dog leash could have the same effect.

As to reports of him being loving and kind, and reports of the opposite with him being abusive, throwing things, and having a temper, both can be true. I don't know what his medical diagnosis for the mental illness was, but did see in one article that he had taken lithium and an antidepressant in the past. If he is bipolar, then yes, anger outburst can be true. And there's cycle with bipolar, where periods of time he could have been loving, and kind. The exgf was only in his life off and on for a year. There's many things she may not know about him in that time. Or maybe those 'off' times in the relationship were because of his mental illness. Hard to say as we don't know this man either. Yet his exwife and sons had known him a long time. And people are typically more likely to exhibit their shortcomings with family versus coworkers or friends. Many people are capable of putting on a mask around friends and coworkers, but their true colors show with those that are family.

I don't know what happened, but interested in following this to see what the courts decide.

Durham teen accused of killing his father released after judge sets $250K unsecured bond :: WRAL.com
A lot of information in this article. Sounds like it is suspected the girlfriend, ex wife and son were all working together.

Warrant: Police suspect teen, mother grabbed gold from dead Durham businessman's safe

— Police suspect that a Durham teen and his mother stole more than $400,000 in gold from a safe in the home of a Durham businessman the day he died last year.

Bill Bishop, 59, a prominent developer in the Tampa area, was found unconscious in his Durham home on Dover Road on April 18. He died in a local hospital two days later.

An autopsy report states "ligature strangulation" as the cause of death, noting that led to a heart attack that deprived Bishop's brain of oxygen.
His son, Alexander Bishop, 16, was arrested last week and charged with murder in the case. He is free on a $250,000 unsecured bond.

During their investigation, police had a locksmith drill open a Liberty safe in Bill Bishop's home because his girlfriend, Julie Seel, had told them he kept gold, jewelry, cash, financial records and other valuables there. Police also found a purchase order for 25 gold bars on Bishop's desk.

According to a new search warrant in the case, investigators found only guns inside the safe. The possibility of gold being kept in a safe deposit box at a PNC Bank branch in downtown Durham also proved to be a dead end, as Bill Bishop had closed out the box in 2017, according to the application for the search warrant.

Police sought the warrant to search the cellphone of Bill Bishop's ex-wife, Sharon Bishop, who is Alexander Bishop's mother. They wanted to check her location when her son called her on the day Bill Bishop was found unconscious and to see whether she called any businesses that deal in precious metals, according to the application for the warrant.

"I believe Sharon and Alexander Bishop obtained the gold from the safe in William Bishop's home on 4/20/2018 when Sharon replied to Julie Seel's text message with, 'Finally got it open no documents in safe, Leaving house now,'" an investigator states in the warrant application.

Durham teen accused of killing his father released after judge sets $250K unsecured bond :: WRAL.com
A lot of information in this article. Sounds like it is suspected the girlfriend, ex wife and son were all working together.

Warrant: Police suspect teen, mother grabbed gold from dead Durham businessman's safe

— Police suspect that a Durham teen and his mother stole more than $400,000 in gold from a safe in the home of a Durham businessman the day he died last year.

Bill Bishop, 59, a prominent developer in the Tampa area, was found unconscious in his Durham home on Dover Road on April 18. He died in a local hospital two days later.

An autopsy report states "ligature strangulation" as the cause of death, noting that led to a heart attack that deprived Bishop's brain of oxygen.
His son, Alexander Bishop, 16, was arrested last week and charged with murder in the case. He is free on a $250,000 unsecured bond.

During their investigation, police had a locksmith drill open a Liberty safe in Bill Bishop's home because his girlfriend, Julie Seel, had told them he kept gold, jewelry, cash, financial records and other valuables there. Police also found a purchase order for 25 gold bars on Bishop's desk.

According to a new search warrant in the case, investigators found only guns inside the safe. The possibility of gold being kept in a safe deposit box at a PNC Bank branch in downtown Durham also proved to be a dead end, as Bill Bishop had closed out the box in 2017, according to the application for the search warrant.

Police sought the warrant to search the cellphone of Bill Bishop's ex-wife, Sharon Bishop, who is Alexander Bishop's mother. They wanted to check her location when her son called her on the day Bill Bishop was found unconscious and to see whether she called any businesses that deal in precious metals, according to the application for the warrant.

"I believe Sharon and Alexander Bishop obtained the gold from the safe in William Bishop's home on 4/20/2018 when Sharon replied to Julie Seel's text message with, 'Finally got it open no documents in safe, Leaving house now,'" an investigator states in the warrant application.

This is what interests me:

"An autopsy report states "ligature strangulation" as the cause of death, noting that led to a heart attack that deprived Bishop's brain of oxygen.
His son, Alexander Bishop, 16, was arrested last week and charged with murder in the case. He is free on a $250,000 unsecured bond."​

Strangulation is almost always in the category of first degree murder with the argument that the person doing the strangling can change their mind at any time. Since the strangulation was stopped before he died, can it not be argued that the person doing the strangulation had a change of mind, therefore it was only attempted murder, and then there was a natural death due to heart attack?

WOW. The plot thickens...

Wow. I’m local but just heard about this last week. The mother is thought to have been involved in taking gold from the safe? That is extremely interesting, isn’t it?

I can’t believe this young man is out on $250k unsecured bond. For murdering his own father?

Wow. I’m local but just heard about this last week. The mother is thought to have been involved in taking gold from the safe? That is extremely interesting, isn’t it?

I can’t believe this young man is out on $250k unsecured bond. For murdering his own father?

It's an awfully murky case. It sounds like the girlfriend implicated the son, the son was arrested, the mother stole the gold and perhaps the son, girlfriend and mother were all involved, although the cause of death is heart attack after partial strangulation and it might have happened at the same time that the suspect was taking the dog for a walk.

Agreed -- that gold business is indeed interesting. And where do you hide solid gold bars, especially if you rare planning to, or have just, murdered someone (or nearly murdered someone)??
And yes, if someone is charged with 1st Degree Murder, there is usually no bond at all -- that's been my experience with the NC cases we have followed here on WS. But I guess it's the judge's decision on how to handle it within the bounds of the NC Statutes. <shrugging my NC shoulders>. Dunno.

Good to see ya, Boodles! :)

Could a judge setting such a low bond mean the evidence is flimsy? Certainly seems like there could be some reasonable doubt here considering all the other alleged players involved.

I don’t believe so. It’s been almost a year, and they usually don’t arrest someone until the DA feels comfy with having adequate evidence to convict. I kind of think there could possibly be others charged as well, but maybe that’s my imagination running wild.

Interesting timing, it sounds like mom would have been an executor, before the divorce was finalized, less than two weeks before.

Girlfriend of Durham man in dog-leash death takes control of estate, demands dog

Sharon and Bill Bishop’s divorce was finalized, April 6, less than two weeks before the son’s 911 call.

According to Bishop’s will, property like household furniture and personal effects were to go to the boys. The rest of his assets were to be put in a trust and distributed in increments when the boys were 30, 35 and 40, or if needed in the interim.

In her petition, Seel states the 2003 will names three executors: Sharon Bishop, a
Tampa attorney and a Florida bank.

The will prevents Sharon Bishop from being appointed as executor if she is divorced from Bill.

The GF asked the mom to check the safe, for documents, while she was at the hospital, then the mom and son are blamed for taking the gold. Did anyone check to see if the gf could have hidden the gold, somewhere, before the mom went over there?

Previous court documents said Seel told police that she and Sharon Bishop swapped text messages the day before Bill Bishop died about checking a safe for documents. It's unclear if the messages referred to the Liberty safe. Sharon Bishop later told police that she didn't know the combination to the Liberty safe, prompting police to obtain a search warrant so they could have it drilled open.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back