Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a full transcript of Ian's post:

"First i want to say thank u from the bottom of my heart to everyone who took part in searching for my sweet lilbuddy. I truly appreciate everything everyone did to find him. And to everyone in the community that were hoping and praying and just took one second of their time to think about Maddox i thank yall too. I loved that lil boy he was my best lil buddy. Maddox was my only child and he will be the only one i will ever have. I wasntso worried about him when all this started on sat because i expected to find him right off over time i got more and more scared and worried. Once sundaymorning came thats when it startes me thinking i had something to worry about. Now today i found out im not a dad anymore. I had big plans with my son. I wanted us to go fishing play ball go camping. I wanted to be his heroe. I wanted him to say i was more than supermanor batman to him. Iwanted people to ask him who his heroe is and him say my daddy. Now im no heroe i couldnt save him or protect him at all. I would give anything to go back and save him. While a lot of people dont believe anything i have said in the past believe this. From this moment on for the rest of my life i will live with the guilt of not being there to save my son. The most important person in my life. So when everyone else gets to go back to their normal lives remember that i will never be the same man again. I will now and forever be a broken man until i take my last breath. Ivenever been a very spritual man before but. Ow i want to be just so when i die my lil boy will be the first person i see when i get into heaven. I cant waitto see his lilsmiling face again. Please all i want is some time to try to pull myself back together the best i can. So this will be my last response i will give to anyone. Just please hug ur children tighter and please dont make my mistake and let them get too far away from u. Do everything u can with ur children because i wont get the chance to do anything with mine. Now to Maddox i just want to say i love u lil buddy. Please be waiting for me when my time comes because i promise im gonna do everything i can to be with u rooster!!!!!"

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wcnc.com/amp/article?section=news&subsection=local&headline=father-of-maddox-ritch-makes-emotional-post-on-facebook&contentId=275-598981248
That's heartbreaking to read :( :( :(

So, so sad to see the news about sweet Maddox.
FBI: Body of Maddox Ritch found in Gastonia

This local news report states his body was found 4 miles from the park. That's pretty far.

I hope it's ok to post this link. If not I am sorry!

I know for 100% sure four miles is not that far for an active boy that age, especially over a couple of days' time. Two miles is like a stroll to the mailbox for my five-year-old, and he's generally running around at full speed when we hike. He has been able to go two miles with no problem since he was two. I know not everyone agrees, but I think Maddox got way further out than anyone expected in those first few hours, which is why he wasn't found sooner.

When children are reported to have wandered off, I think the public should be asked to search just outside the official search perimeter. I'm thinking of sweet 2-yr-old Noah Chamberlain, who was found just outside the search perimeter, which was only 1.5 miles out.

The National Association for Search and Rescue has a program for children called "Hug-a-Tree." Basically, children are taught to STOP, and "hug a tree!" when they get lost. Please practice hugging trees (or light posts, or whatever) with your children. You never know when it might prevent another tragedy. Here's more info on the program. Hug-a-Tree - NASAR

I'm curious as to whether Maddox had ever met dad's GF before? Conjecture only, of course, but what if dad had planned this as a "say hello to your new mom" kind of thing, and poor Maddox flipped-out and bolted? I've known children on the spectrum who would lose it (at least temporarily) if there were major (or sometimes even minor) changes in their routines, surroundings and/or situations. Thoughts?

That is a good thought! I also wondered if maybe mom didn't know that dad had a new gf, which is why it was reported as dad was with a friend/another adult.

Maybe it was the first time Maddox met the gf and dad kept it from mom? I know they're seperated but a lot of parents understandably don't want their kids introduced to random new gfs/bfs. Maybe dad had some explaining to do to the mom which was why took a while to find out exactly who was with him.

Sorry for rambling! I know what I'm trying to say but I'm having a hard time putting it into words o_O

So, so sad to see the news about sweet Maddox.

I know for 100% sure four miles is not that far for an active boy that age, especially over a couple of days' time. Two miles is like a stroll to the mailbox for my five-year-old, and he's generally running around at full speed when we hike. He has been able to go two miles with no problem since he was two. I know not everyone agrees, but I think Maddox got way further out than anyone expected in those first few hours, which is why he wasn't found sooner.

When children are reported to have wandered off, I think the public should be asked to search just outside the official search perimeter. I'm thinking of sweet 2-yr-old Noah Chamberlain, who was found just outside the search perimeter, which was only 1.5 miles out.

The National Association for Search and Rescue has a program for children called "Hug-a-Tree." Basically, children are taught to STOP, and "hug a tree!" when they get lost. Please practice hugging trees (or light posts, or whatever) with your children. You never know when it might prevent another tragedy. Here's more info on the program. Hug-a-Tree - NASAR

Where Maddox was found off Old Dallas Rd. was only alittle more than a mile. Don't know where some media outlets got four miles.

“Formal identification of the body could take days and investigators would still like to speak with people who were at the park Saturday. They say there is a man in a white truck they have not been able to locate who investigators believe may have been the last witness to see Maddox.

“There is a lot of information indicating that Maddox was where the family indicated he was, and that his movements were what they indicated," said FBI special agent Jason Kaplan.”
Possible last witness sought after body found believed to be missing boy with autism

He said he was near the boat ramps which appear to be on the other end of the lake OPPOSITE of the creek.

The boat ramp area (imagery as of 03-2018) is ~1100' (just under 1/4 mile, say a minute 30 second run for an athlete, from the creek) from the north end of the park where the creek slows.

He indicates he went missing near the office. It isn't clear to me if "the office" is the building across from the boat ramp. They appear to have been very near the road which enters and exits the park.

A patch of woods is situated there on the lake side of the park entrance road. They are not expansive and have a industrial appearing business very close.

Interview not shown on TV
Maybe this has already been posted,

Notice the contradictions.

I thought the worst of the parent when I first heard of the disappearance. I guess I’m jaded from all the other horrible cases that are all too often common. This story is ringing true at this point. The police have stated in the news conferences that independent witnesses did report seeing Maddox at the park. If Dad’s story wasn’t true I believe his “date” would have been talking and the news conferences would have a completely different feel. So now what are we left with? A child can run off and a search using the most professional equipment with hundreds of manpower are unable to locate them. The 911 caller said in an interview there is a fence surrounding the property. The police stated he would not have had to go over or under a fence to be where they found him. One square mile of woods and swamp and no one could find him. Dogs never picked up a scent. Was too much time focused on the lake when he was in reality moving around in the woods? Was he hiding from his searchers? It is so heartbreaking. Keep your kids close. We’ve all had that feeling when you turnaround and your child isn’t there. Those seconds or minutes are excruciating.

I would think if "the pipes" were hydraulic concrete and perhaps pre-stressed, his body may have an abrasion containing traces of chemicals unique to that special type of concrete unlikely to be found in the rocks indigenous to the creek itself?

If that was the case it would cause me to look back at the tipster a little more... if Maddox actually was in a pipe. However, I don't know how they'd be able to prove that. It is very possible though that he was dislodged by the storm last night. I was a little concerned that may happen.

In his interview where he states, 'I know I am the number one suspect', he says that she was somebody he was comfortable being around his son. This infers she had been around him although not expressly stating that the child did know her or was comfortable with this new mommy.

That is a good thought! I also wondered if maybe mom didn't know that dad had a new gf, which is why it was reported as dad was with a friend/another adult.

Maybe it was the first time Maddox met the gf and dad kept it from mom? I know they're seperated but a lot of parents understandably don't want their kids introduced to random new gfs/bfs. Maybe dad had some explaining to do to the mom which was why took a while to find out exactly who was with him.

Sorry for rambling! I know what I'm trying to say but I'm having a hard time putting it into words o_O

I can't see much secluded about the over all area around the track although there are some wooded areas you might be able to duck off into.

The "lake" is about 1800' across generally at it widest point making it more a large pond than an actual lake.

Holy smoke that is such a bad*** reporter! I love his expressions and phrasing of questions is so thorough. idk what I think of Dad. Idk my questions now are why does his “gf” want to stay anonymous and where are all of these people at the boat rental spot!!?? I thought this happened in the way back, secluded? I’m sorry if my version is old news. I’ll catch up.

An approximate time of death is really needed as is a COD.

IF, he didn't drown and hasn't been dead for at least 5 or 6 days when found, I can understand why this hasn't been deemed accidental and actually didn't go for a swim in the creek at the other end of the park from where I understand he was.

Are the only boat "ramps", the father indicated plural referring to the boat ramp, although I see only one. How many boat ramps are there and are they in the same general area of the reservoir?

Do we know the location, yet? I keep hearing about a mile from the park but just off Old Dallas Road. If it's where the road crosses the creek, then the straight line distance is well under a mile. The walking distance along the creek is just under a mile. There appears to be an old trail but there's an obstacle at that point. Another small creek comes in on the trail side and there's no easy crossing, based on the Google satellite view. I have a hard time imagining his body would have washed a mile downstream because there appear to be a number of trees down in the stream. I'd tend to think he walked that far before running into problems.

I have absolutely no idea that this was the location. Just pure guesswork. I've marked the creek in blue dots and the trail in a sort of green/yellow/lime color. Then the smaller creek is in red.

Attachments

• Missing.jpg
    Missing.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 48
Do we know the location, yet? I keep hearing about a mile from the park but just off Old Dallas Road. If it's where the road crosses the creek, then the straight line distance is well under a mile. The walking distance along the creek is just under a mile. There appears to be an old trail but there's an obstacle at that point. Another small creek comes in on the trail side and there's no easy crossing, based on the Google satellite view. I have a hard time imagining his body would have washed a mile downstream because there appear to be a number of trees down in the stream. I'd tend to think he walked that far before running into problems.

I have absolutely no idea that this was the location. Just pure guesswork. I've marked the creek in blue dots and the trail in a sort of green/yellow/lime color. Then the smaller creek is in red.
Thank you for taking the time to detail the image. I’m gonna need to go back to some of yesterday’s post but I think your post will help me to better understand previous posts.

One more thing I'd like to add:

Despite the heartbreaking outcome of all of this and the unimaginable pain the family is going through as well as alot in the community, I really am proud of the local Law Enforcement and Rescue in this area.

Being the father of a six year old boy myself along with two younger daughters, I, and I hope others, take solace knowing that we have such professional, dedicated and just plain good people in our Law Enforcement and Rescue community here in Gaston County.

I don't know about anyone else but I have learned a good bit about autism that I didn't know before and I must say to all the parents of children with autism that you all are special people and I take my hat off to you.

Hopefully it turns out that this was just an accident that can somehow be prevented from ever happening again to another young child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
workerbma