Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confused as to what the general feeling here is. Do people feel the father was involved in Maddox's death? Or that his death was not accidental? Or there is a perp out there somewhere?

I'm thinking as Maddox was running on the path he took a turn away from the lake. Going thru the brush and thicket he didn't realize he was in a swampy area soon enough to get out of it and got tangled up and subsequently drowned. That makes some sense to me. But...why are they still looking for witnesses?
I truly don't know, to be honest. If only I wasn't so confused with the at times cryptic and mixed messages that LE and the FBI are posting daily, I would lean towards an accidental drowning myself. We've seen it happen every so often, and it is just devastating to say the least.

LE and the FBI's non stop posts about wanting people at the park at that time period to call in. The FBI from Charlotte posting several days in a row about not speculating or discussing rumors on social media. The female FBI spokeswoman who mentioned that if any reporter dared to ask the mother any questions when she got up to speak, that the interview was over- pardon me, but that's not an interview, so to speak. That same FBI female stating that the mother was under the care of a victim counselor right from the start- I don't understand why she would even need to mention that, it seems personal to me. LE and the FBI stating that the investigation is still ongoing, and again, pleas for people to call in if they were at the park during that time keep coming out several times a day. I keep wondering why the ME hasn't stated yet that this was an accidental drowning- I am no expert, but others on here in other cases have said that they know within the next day if a drowning is accidental, something about the lungs not having water in them? Does anyone know what I am talking about? That's why I don't understand this at all, the majority of the ME's state it right away if it was an accidental drowning, but this ME is either holding off stating it for their own reasons, or perhaps more is being investigated because of the condition of Maddox's body. I hope that this is cleared up soon, though, one way or the other. I am sure Maddox's family and friends would be relieved a little bit if it was accidental and nothing sinister happened to him.

Could there have been a predator at the park? Absolutely. Was there one that day? So far, nothing that LE or the FBI has said has indicated as such, but maybe there is something going on behind the scenes that they may be leaning towards this angle. Hard to tell at this point.

If you have already posted something, you cannot delete it. You can only edit it within 60 minutes of posting. So many people write "Delete" if they double post or changed their mind. You can "report" on your own post and ask a mod to delete it if the time has passed and you have a reason to want to delete it but it takes mod time so I try to be judicious!
Before you post. You start typing, change your mind and want to delete. I can't figure out how to delete what I started.

If you haven’t posted it, this is what I have been doing. Maybe one of you have a better idea since we don’t have a delete button. It is simple simon in my book, however, it does not post.

Say you are writing a post and have finished reading it. In rereading it, you change your mind about posting it. Go to the top of the post, double click somewhere on the first line. An option should come up “Select, Select All, Look Up”. Hit “Select All”. Your typing will automatically be highlighted in blue. Double click once again, and a new box will pop up with selections. In it, hit “Cut”. All the typing will disappear. Problem gone and you don’t need to type in the word delete. Nothing will show on or in the post column.

I keep wondering why the ME hasn't stated yet that this was an accidental drowning- I am no expert, but others on here in other cases have said that they know within the next day if a drowning is accidental, something about the lungs not having water in them? Does anyone know what I am talking about? That's why I don't understand this at all, the majority of the ME's state it right away if it was an accidental drowning, but this ME is either holding off stating it for their own reasons, or perhaps more is being investigated because of the condition of Maddox's body. I hope that this is cleared up soon, though, one way or the other. I am sure Maddox's family and friends would be relieved a little bit if it was accidental and nothing sinister happened to him.
Respectfully snipped for focus. BBM-- While this is probably the case for children and bodies found a day or two after they drown, in this case Maddox was not found for 6 days. If he died the same day he went missing his body may be decomposed to a point where it is hard to tell. Or there could be evidence of animal activity. His lungs may not be intact to check if there is water in them, for example. If a body found in water is too decomposed to tell, then drowning would be a "diagnosis of exclusion". Meaning they would only say it was drowning if they can safely rule everything else out. That means they may be waiting on toxicology and other tests that could take a long time to come back. JMO based on reading other cases here.

I hope they are just being thorough. I really hope nobody harmed him. FBI's statements and the SO interview have me a little concerned, but I'm trying to keep in mind they have to investigate and determine what happened. It always feels like it takes too long but in the end, I would rather LE take their time and get it right than rush things and miss something critical. They have to be sure. JMO.

Respectfully snipped for focus. BBM-- While this is probably the case for children and bodies found a day or two after they drown, in this case Maddox was not found for 6 days. If he died the same day he went missing his body may be decomposed to a point where it is hard to tell. Or there could be evidence of animal activity. His lungs may not be intact to check if there is water in them, for example. If a body found in water is too decomposed to tell, then drowning would be a "diagnosis of exclusion". Meaning they would only say it was drowning if they can safely rule everything else out. That means they may be waiting on toxicology and other tests that could take a long time to come back. JMO based on reading other cases here.

I hope they are just being thorough. I really hope nobody harmed him. FBI's statements and the SO interview have me a little concerned, but I'm trying to keep in mind they have to investigate and determine what happened. It always feels like it takes too long but in the end, I would rather LE take their time and get it right than rush things and miss something critical. They have to be sure. JMO.
Thank you so much for this information, Gardener1850! It makes sense now- I didn't think about the six days of him being gone, to which it's hard to say if he died that day/evening or just before they found him- it truly does make a difference in decomposition. We'll just have to wait it out for the autopsy result and hope and pray it was just an accident.

I truly don't know, to be honest. If only I wasn't so confused with the at times cryptic and mixed messages that LE and the FBI are posting daily, I would lean towards an accidental drowning myself. We've seen it happen every so often, and it is just devastating to say the least.

LE and the FBI's non stop posts about wanting people at the park at that time period to call in. The FBI from Charlotte posting several days in a row about not speculating or discussing rumors on social media. The female FBI spokeswoman who mentioned that if any reporter dared to ask the mother any questions when she got up to speak, that the interview was over- pardon me, but that's not an interview, so to speak. That same FBI female stating that the mother was under the care of a victim counselor right from the start- I don't understand why she would even need to mention that, it seems personal to me. LE and the FBI stating that the investigation is still ongoing, and again, pleas for people to call in if they were at the park during that time keep coming out several times a day. I keep wondering why the ME hasn't stated yet that this was an accidental drowning- I am no expert, but others on here in other cases have said that they know within the next day if a drowning is accidental, something about the lungs not having water in them? Does anyone know what I am talking about? That's why I don't understand this at all, the majority of the ME's state it right away if it was an accidental drowning, but this ME is either holding off stating it for their own reasons, or perhaps more is being investigated because of the condition of Maddox's body. I hope that this is cleared up soon, though, one way or the other. I am sure Maddox's family and friends would be relieved a little bit if it was accidental and nothing sinister happened to him.

Could there have been a predator at the park? Absolutely. Was there one that day? So far, nothing that LE or the FBI has said has indicated as such, but maybe there is something going on behind the scenes that they may be leaning towards this angle. Hard to tell at this point.

I have the same mixed up ideas. I didn't know about the FBI woman saying that or an interview with the mother. Is that posted here? That's certainly telling to me. And yes, the coroner would know immediately if there is water in the lungs., As well, I would think, if he had been sexually violated. All this sounds to me like he may have been taken and later placed there where he was found. That's why they're still looking.
Oh I just hate the thought. To loose a child is the worst grief a parent can have, but to have to imagine what that child went through is beyond horrible.
I'm going to see if I can find the FBI interview. I'm just sick. Thanks for your reply.

Opinions seem to vary greatly on this thread.

They certainly do! Isn't it great!
So many brilliant posters here with good insights, clever ideas, etc. I don't think I've changed my mind about what I think happened as many times on any other case/thread as I have on this one!
As soon as I commit to one idea, someone posts to point out something or share an idea or theory that makes me change my mind. Rinse and repeat...SEVERAL times. So many good sleuthers!

I have the same mixed up ideas. I didn't know about the FBI woman saying that or an interview with the mother. Is that posted here? That's certainly telling to me. And yes, the coroner would know immediately if there is water in the lungs., As well, I would think, if he had been sexually violated. All this sounds to me like he may have been taken and later placed there where he was found. That's why they're still looking.
Oh I just hate the thought. To loose a child is the worst grief a parent can have, but to have to imagine what that child went through is beyond horrible.
I'm going to see if I can find the FBI interview. I'm just sick. Thanks for your reply.
You're welcome! The interview with the FBI woman and mother was posted in the first thread, I am sure you can find it either there or on Google. She was very adamant about the reporters not asking the mother any questions. I hope and pray that the little guy wasn't assaulted in any way.

We are way too jaded this day and age and I believe many are saying that the father had something to do with this because we want to say I told you so if that turns out to be the case. In this case, I am going to give the father the benefit of the doubt until LE tells me otherwise. Accidents do happen and mistakes are made. I just feel sorry for the guy.

They certainly do! Isn't it great!
So many brilliant posters here with good insights, clever ideas, etc. I don't think I've changed my mind about what I think happened as many times on any other case/thread as I have on this one!
As soon as I commit to one idea, someone posts to point out something or share an idea or theory that makes me change my mind. Rinse and repeat...SEVERAL times. So many good sleuthers!
Same here- you are not alone. I keep going back and forth, which is unusual for me. I am usually a good judge of character, but this one is hard. I am not sure if it's because others on here have made me feel guilty for being a bit harsh on the father, but there's only one person who I care about in this case for the time being- Maddox and that nothing sinister happened to him. I have utmost sympathy for any parent that loses a child, but whether it's due to bad reporting along with the LE and FBI's strange hang up about social media posts as well as posting daily looking for park goers that were there that day, I don't know which way to think. I want to be sympathetic to the Dad, I truly do, but there are some questions that still need answering and facts need to be cleared up before I can completely feel for him. It's not that his child got lost or that he lost track of him. It's the friend who is anonymous and many other things that I have mentioned in this post and others that keep my mind open a bit more about the possibility that Maddox might have been harmed by someone close to him. Also, the park ranger's interview- he didn't think Maddox was ever in the park that day- a very bold statement to make.

In some cases, conflicting reports with inaccurate facts can also play a role in our thoughts. There's been a lot of that in this case and many other cases. So, it looks like we will have to wait for the autopsy results and what LE and the FBI come up with as the cause of death. I hold on to hope that Maddox went on a fun adventure and was having a good old time for himself before he ended up in the creek.

Thank you so much for this information, Gardener1850! It makes sense now- I didn't think about the six days of him being gone, to which it's hard to say if he died that day/evening or just before they found him- it truly does make a difference in decomposition. We'll just have to wait it out for the autopsy result and hope and pray it was just an accident.

Ughhh. I hope he passed away soon after he was missing. The thought of him alone and scared all night is devastating to me. Poor little love.

I've followed diffrent cases on websleuths for years but I have never posted. I have to say it's certainly one of the most respectful and compassionate forums that I've witnessed of this nature. My comment is a bit of a side note but I feel compelled to give my prospective regarding the comments concerning the father being on the spectrum.
I am high functioning as is my father, my daughter and my son. You can't tell by just seeing or listening to someone but there are what appears to be traits in Ian Ritch. I was actually discussing this with my husband a couple of days ago and told him I was glad to see so many people on this site that were willing to accept the dad may process differently regardless of the reason. In emergency or highly emotional situations, I rarely act in typical manner but I usually mask so well that most people never know why. Masking well is helpful in every day life but could really be detrimental in emergency situations in which you don't react as expected. I always over react or under react never in the middle. I feel like I would shut down and be nonverbal myself or completely freak out and lose it if anything ever happened to one of my children but I have no idea how I would actually react. As a person on the spectrum as well as parent of children on the spectrum that is another constant worry.

I can't find a video of the presser that has the FBI lady speaking before her but here is the mother's statement:

I do recall seeing that the FBI lady made a statement that no one would be allowed to question the mother or the interview would be over. IMO, one reason for that strong statement being made may be because of a previous presser:

In the above video the press (and community members it seems) asked repeatedly for info on the parents when LE said the parents had asked for privacy and they would not be releasing their names at that time. I think perhaps the officers were frustrated by these questions and wanted to keep the focus on Maddox, not his parents. JMO.

We are way too jaded this day and age and I believe many are saying that the father had something to do with this because we want to say I told you so if that turns out to be the case. In this case, I am going to give the father the benefit of the doubt until LE tells me otherwise. Accidents do happen and mistakes are made. I just feel sorry for the guy.
Oh no, I will never say "I told you so" in any case that I am wrong, if I suspect any parent of being involved. Believe me, I can't think of anything worse than a child being assaulted and killed by their own parent- imagine the last person you see as a baby or child is your own parent that brought you into this world, the one that you love and trust to take care of you, hurting you until your last breath. Oh, no, I could never wish to be right about any parent I suspect of harming their own child- I would much rather apologize and be wrong, trust me. I honestly don't think anyone here would do that, either- there's not one poster in this thread that I would make such an accusation about, no matter what their thoughts and feelings are. Many of us have been posting together in many missing children's threads- all great, caring, helpful and kind people.

I've followed diffrent cases on websleuths for years but I have never posted. I have to say it's certainly one of the most respectful and compassionate forums that I've witnessed of this nature. My comment is a bit of a side note but I feel compelled to give my prospective regarding the comments concerning the father being on the spectrum.
I am high functioning as is my father, my daughter and my son. You can't tell by just seeing or listening to someone but there are what appears to be traits in Ian Ritch. I was actually discussing this with my husband a couple of days ago and told him I was glad to see so many people on this site that were willing to accept the dad may process differently regardless of the reason. In emergency or highly emotional situations, I rarely act in typical manner but I usually mask so well that most people never know why. Masking well is helpful in every day life but could really be detrimental in emergency situations in which you don't react as expected. I always over react or under react never in the middle. I feel like I would shut down and be nonverbal myself or completely freak out and lose it if anything ever happened to one of my children but I have no idea how I would actually react. As a person on the spectrum as well as parent of children on the spectrum that is another constant worry.
Thank you for this awesome post,and if it turns out that his Dad is on the spectrum, it sure would make sense some of his actions that day. Honestly, I didn't question them until the park rangers interview which is what started to raise my suspicion level up a tad, along with comments made from LE and the FBI. Ian mentioned that he is diabetic and has neuropathy, to which I can relate to that and I an understand why running is difficult for him. To me, it sounded like a father and son game that they had played many times before, only this time, Maddox didn't stop running, he kept going. If it wasn't for the conflicting and cryptic pleas from LE and FBI and the park ranger's interview, I wouldn't have thought anything more than an accidental drowning, which could still be what happened here. That's what I am hoping for, anyway. I appreciate you explaining things from your perspective, thank you for taking the time to share and explain this to us.

Same here. It's just too devastating to think of.

Literally heartbreaking. I worry about my kid getting cold at night in our house during the summer if I forget to turn the AC off. Or hungry at school, where she has snack 2 hours after breakfast and lunch 2 hours later. Or I get worried that she is thirsty when I realize she left her water bottle in the car...even though there are drinking fountains. Or if she is unable to fall asleep for whatever reason. So to think of this little buddy outside alone at night. Ugh. It makes me cry. I just hope he wasn’t scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattooteena