Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

hollye

Reaction score
Charlotte Fire is assisting the Gastonia Police Department with the search for 6-year-old Maddox Ritch at Rankin Lake Park in Gastonia.

Maddox was reported missing around 1:30 p.m. Saturday. He is autistic and non-verbal.

Ritch was last seen wearing an orange shirt with the writing "I'm the man" on the front.

Search underway for missing 6-year-old at a Gaston County park

Oh my heart, another child with autism missing. There have been many this year. I am trying to think if any one of them have been found safe? Prayers for the little guy, he is so adorable!

HOPE this isn't another one of those cases where the parents did something to the child and they are using a cover-up as the child ran as an excuse. But I am sure the authorities will figure it out eventually (if the parents are lying) after looking at the video cameras.

Unless you have a child with autism. It’s impossible to understand how this happens so often. You are emotional drained , you have to be “on 24/7” what I mean is a lot of autistic kids do not sleep. We went 18 month of HELL with our daughter when she totally stopped sleeping. I’m not joking her brain couldn’t shut down. I don’t know how I lived through that period of time. We found a new dr who rx her a Med used for blood pressure. That lowers her bp forcing her body to finally sleep. That no sleep started at age 3, that’s when she regressed into autism. Now 11 years later she still needs that medication to sleep. She takes a dose so high that it would kill a typical person. But her chemistry isn’t typical she reacts to meds so different.

Anyway I had to lock myself in the bedroom with her at night. She still got out of the bedroom a time or 2 but I woke to catch her. I still sleep with her . She escaped from our house one time we had chains and locks. And her siblings all 7 to 14 yrs older then she was plus her dad and I where home. Yet she some how got out without us noticing. She used a broom handle ( we lAter found out to undo the top chain and hook lock. We had to call the police. It was my worst day of my life . They wouldn’t let us look. But found her in the middle of the busiest intersection in town about 1/2 mile from home. All the cars in all directions thankfully had noticed and stopped so it was quite a traffic jam right at the noon hour. How she came back unarmed is a mystery.

A year later she was at school with 4 adults supervising 6 kids. When they were going inside they realized one was missing. Mine of course. She got out of the fence ran about the length of a football field. There’s a main road that runs to the north of the school. They thought she was inside the school until another child said they sAw a child running towards the Main Street. Except there is a 8 foot drainage ditch that also runs along that street . They found my 5 year old in that ditch which you couldn’t see her unless you went into the ditch it had 4 ft of god knows what kind of crappy water in it. My daughter was covered to the bottom of her pig tails in that crap.

So even at school she was able to escape. Again I don’t know how the child is still alive. I don’t know how long she was there before they found her. Her dr even went to the school to check out the ditch. About 2 yrs later she became really ill. Hospital for 2 weeks. She had a internal parasite in her body. Attacking her liver. They couldn’t figure out how she got it. It’s only really found in 3rd world countries. But her great dr had kept a sample from that ditch water and the rare parasite she had was also found in that sample from 2 years prior. She had been living with it until it took over parts of her body and was detected. For awhile they were talking about a liver transplant.

Point is sorry this got so long. We heAr all the bad parent at fault cases. But there’s so many more we don’t hear about where the parent is diligent . It’s so hard when your baby is non verbal and can’t even tell you something is going on in thier body. I swear my child has a guardian angel she’s just beat the odds to many times. My dad died right before these episodes happened. I swear he had to of been protecting her. I still can’t get over that she didn’t drown. She’s attracted to body’s of wAter but in this case it seems she was prob running and fell in. They found raw sewage in this ditch . I will never judge a parent of a child with autism who is a known eloper. Not until I see prove they did something. I can only imagine what people thought of me. And I’m super over protective. Never thought this would happen to me. Geeze sorry for the book.

Sassy..... that must be terrifying. No one can keep eyes 24/7. Everyone has to pee and sleep! So those who judge would not be immune. They just haven't had to realize how impossible it is.

I'm hoping he has the same luck, but water. Boats.... I will be more surprise if the outcome is good. But I'm sure hopinh!

It was terrifying. I had a local friend who’s son was in the same situation just weeks prior. He escaped a bedroom window. His mom rushed home from work and told the police they were looking in the wrong places. She drove into a pond near the home and recovered her son he did not survive.

That mom has gone onto making her life a mission in finding missing kids. She was VERY active in the LH case everyone following that case knew of her. Some judged her unfairly not knowing her back story. But I’m glad she found a outlet to deal with her grieve. For a long while I was afraid she’d take her own life. We Just don’t know the real story behind people on the internet so sometimes they are unfairly judged. I could of very well been in her shoes.

Unless you have a child with autism. It’s impossible to understand how this happens so often. You are emotional drained , you have to be “on 24/7” what I mean is a lot of autistic kids do not sleep. We went 18 month of HELL with our daughter when she totally stopped sleeping. I’m not joking her brain couldn’t shut down. I don’t know how I lived through that period of time. We found a new dr who rx her a Med used for blood pressure. That lowers her bp forcing her body to finally sleep. That no sleep started at age 3, that’s when she regressed into autism. Now 11 years later she still needs that medication to sleep. She takes a dose so high that it would kill a typical person. But her chemistry isn’t typical she reacts to meds so different.

Anyway I had to lock myself in the bedroom with her at night. She still got out of the bedroom a time or 2 but I woke to catch her. I still sleep with her . She escaped from our house one time we had chains and locks. And her siblings all 7 to 14 yrs older then she was plus her dad and I where home. Yet she some how got out without us noticing. She used a broom handle ( we lAter found out to undo the top chain and hook lock. We had to call the police. It was my worst day of my life . They wouldn’t let us look. But found her in the middle of the busiest intersection in town about 1/2 mile from home. All the cars in all directions thankfully had noticed and stopped so it was quite a traffic jam right at the noon hour. How she came back unarmed is a mystery.

A year later she was at school with 4 adults supervising 6 kids. When they were going inside they realized one was missing. Mine of course. She got out of the fence ran about the length of a football field. There’s a main road that runs to the north of the school. They thought she was inside the school until another child said they sAw a child running towards the Main Street. Except there is a 8 foot drainage ditch that also runs along that street . They found my 5 year old in that ditch which you couldn’t see her unless you went into the ditch it had 4 ft of god knows what kind of crappy water in it. My daughter was covered to the bottom of her pig tails in that crap.

So even at school she was able to escape. Again I don’t know how the child is still alive. I don’t know how long she was there before they found her. Her dr even went to the school to check out the ditch. About 2 yrs later she became really ill. Hospital for 2 weeks. She had a internal parasite in her body. Attacking her liver. They couldn’t figure out how she got it. It’s only really found in 3rd world countries. But her great dr had kept a sample from that ditch water and the rare parasite she had was also found in that sample from 2 years prior. She had been living with it until it took over parts of her body and was detected. For awhile they were talking about a liver transplant.

Point is sorry this got so long. We heAr all the bad parent at fault cases. But there’s so many more we don’t hear about where the parent is diligent . It’s so hard when your baby is non verbal and can’t even tell you something is going on in thier body. I swear my child has a guardian angel she’s just beat the odds to many times. My dad died right before these episodes happened. I swear he had to of been protecting her. I still can’t get over that she didn’t drown. She’s attracted to body’s of wAter but in this case it seems she was prob running and fell in. They found raw sewage in this ditch . I will never judge a parent of a child with autism who is a known eloper. Not until I see prove they did something. I can only imagine what people thought of me. And I’m super over protective. Never thought this would happen to me. Geeze sorry for the book.

Sassy, I can definitely understand that. My kids are so bad I have to keep a deadbolt on my door. My husband had to do that because at our last house my daughter would just open our door at the drop of a hat at 3AM, 2AM, etc. any hour of the day and mostly any hour of the night. She has also threatened to leave when she gets mad at me. I have to hide the keys to the deadbolt because she has tried to get them before to open the door when she gets in trouble. I have two kids with ADHD (well it is labeled as ADHD but I personally do not think there is such a thing--my kids suffer from medical problems like Lyme disease and that is what causes them to be hyperactive and out of control and I have a lot to deal with). When we go anywhere I have to be constantly on my game with both my kids. Like the other day I was at Wal-mart and my daughter just took off running. She came back around the other aisle a few minutes later and I asked her WHY she just took off running down the aisle and she said because she felt like it (she just got a wild hair up her butt like she always does). I had to explain to her AGAIN (like I have to do all the time--and mind you she is 8 years old and SHOULD know better) that when she disappeared around the other aisle in the grocery store that someone could have abducted her. I was at Whole Foods the other day and she begged to go to the bathroom by herself (ahead of me). I told her NO. I had to explain to her that there is a door right beside the bathroom and some predator could reach in that door and grab her real quick and disappear outside and I would never see her again. She understood but again she thought she was old enough and told me if that happened she would be strong enough to escape.

So I understand what you are talking about and I can see how this COULD be the TRUTH (what they are really saying happened). But I can also see it as being a flat out LIE. Like I said I am guessing authorities WILL (they always do) figure out it (from video cameras and such) whether or not the parents ARE lying are not.

I hope they are NOT lying (I have just seen TOO many cases lately where parents have lied and the kid never ran off--they actually harmed their child and used that as an excuse) and the child DID truly run away. And if that is the case, I DO hope they find him.

One news station aired an interview with a rep from Gastonia. The story she repeated from the parents was very strange. They were distracted, then he began to run, but couldn't find or catch him?
I have a non verbal autistic kid who used to elope. So terrifying.

Exactly but we also don’t hear as much about the cases like mine it’s the tragic ones we hear more about. I lived that life not being able to ever be “off” as a parent your never off. But with a kid who doesn’t sleep it’s literally being “on” 24/7. You don’t dare sleep. I didn’t know one could live that long without sleep.

I will say that it often DOES get better. When my daughter hit puberty omg live became almost simple agAin. She was out of all 4 of my kids the Easy preteen and teen now that she’s there. She matured like magic. And we have almost no issues. Which I thank god had a part in that because we have 3 adult kids then her. And we had to then step up and take our daughter to court to try to get her son removed from her legally. To save him from being the next Lucas. We’ve had him 2 years unless she got mad and took him for a hour or to. But we petitioned the court asking for him to be named a cinc .BEFORe something happened to him. We didn’t even try dealing with cps. So just when life got to be a breeze with our youngest we kind of started all over with a 15 month old. We could of never done it had my daughter not matured . The baby just turned 3 and it’s hard but he’s happy heAlthy and most of all alive ! Not being raised in a home with drugs. So i had a easy life for a few short weeks. But my grandson is alive he’s not another stastic. So although it’s hard he’s a busy boy. And the cost to do this with lawyers and such with our cps involvement was pricey. There’s no price money or time or having a “easy life” that’s worth a child’s life being in danger.

I use to always take my special needs clients (that had habit of " running ahead") there to walk because of how much easier it was for me to keep them in constant sight. If you're on the trail surrounding the lake ( where he is reportedly missing from) the view is unobstructed... The trail is however outlined by trees and sits only feet away from the water therefore I still had to remain hyper aware ( just as I am with my own young son) as things can go bad so quickly around water... I truly hope he is ok but Its impossible to not think the worse... ... People keep posting on news sites that since he is nonverbal he couldn't cry for help but nonverbal does not necessarily mean he makes no sounds at all... Many individuals are 'nonverbal' however can still communicate sounds ( screams, laughs, humming etc.)

I did find parents facebooks and didnt get that " off" feeling we normally get however, I find it hard to believe he was able to disappear from sight if dad was actually on the trail... Its very likely he is in the water but dad definitely would have saw that unless paying ZERO attention ..Not accusing just trying to wrap my head around it while knowing I went out of my way to use that trail with clients for that EXACT reason; had any ran ahead of me while walking it they would have still been in my line of sight while I caught up....I'm a parent to a very behavioral challenged 4 year old who has ZERO fear so I get it... we are human and allowed to look away....just not feet away from water, with a child who likely was prone to running.
This was also a gorgeous day at an already busy park. I did just see that police are searching surveillance video.
Surrounding the park is a lot of drainage pipes ( this use to be a water reservoir until 2013 when they revamped it), a shooting range backs right up to it, several industrial buildings surround it as well as lots of woods and creeks.
I've attached some photos of the trail and lake.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180923-003207_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180923-003207_Chrome.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Screenshot_20180923-002611_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180923-002611_Chrome.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 179
  • Screenshot_20180923-002758_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180923-002758_Chrome.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Screenshot_20180923-003152_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180923-003152_Chrome.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
* to clarify, I worked with children with special needs for years until adopting my son 4 years ago and taking a break to focus on his needs.. and I know how exhausting it is mentally and physically ( most of mine were physically aggressive as that was our primary client base).. I got to come home every night and decompress. I also have 2 daughters who were super easy when small... my son however is not so much... he has been on sleep medications for 2 years and STILL only sleeps 5-6 hours max in a 24 hour period, he was born addicted to literally every drug and has violent meltdowns that he truly can not control. ( he cries and hugs me after and tells me he doesnt like feeling angry)... Its tough.. some days I'm so drained that I am begging for him to fall asleep .... I couldn't do this AND still be doing this on my job as well... We also keep our door alarms on 24/7 because he tries to sneak out daily. If not for those alerts all it would take is me peeing and him running to the road... I am not judging that and those stories... this one however was completely avoidable unless the child had super sonic speed and dad was on crutches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member