Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
whats the bridge all about then.....she's not there....but what is? i don't know, if they know its a body they are looking for its hardly fair on the public to send them out to search

Blabbering? Man. This is a tough room. I see nothing but professionalism from this man. I understood every single thing he said. He gives more patient explanations than most, understanding that the public has a lot of questions. E calmly explains hat he can't compromise the investigation.

This man seems to know what he's doing. I don't get the criticism.

He mispronounced Mariah's name at the last two press conferences. Yesterday laughed at a reporter's question saying he "doesn't know where her parents are." Today he calls a press conference and then chastises the reporters he invited to the press conference for doing their jobs and asking questions. Contrast this with the FBI agents who politely declined to give more information than they wanted to give out. It's a two way street for LE and most understand this. You want the media attention when you want it, but chastising reporters for asking questions during a Q and A period is unprofessional.

WRAL is running a live video of the search scene again. But I don't have high hopes of seeing much at this point.

Anyone else think they may have found her or are very close and are holding public back with planning a search for tomorrow?

WRAL is running a live video of the search scene again. But I don't have high hopes of seeing much at this point.

LOL'ing that the reporter doesn't realize he's live. �� Plus, what was with all his hand motions??

whats the bridge all about then.....she's not there....but what is? i don't know, if they know its a body they are looking for its hardly fair on the public to send them out to search

Could be he is saying they are organizing a search just to appease the public's desire to do something, anything, to help find her but in reality, IF they did find her, he can make the announcement later on and say the search is off.

He mispronounced Mariah's name at the last two press conferences. Yesterday laughed at a reporter's question saying he "doesn't know where her parents are." Today he calls a press conference and then chastises the reporters he invited to the press conference for doing their jobs and asking questions. Contrast this with the FBI agents who politely declined to give more information than they wanted to give out. It's a two way street for LE and most understand this. You want the media attention when you want it, but chastising reporters for asking questions during a Q and A period is unprofessional.

Laughing really puts me off. It's unprofessional and just does not fit in such a situation.

Blabbering? Man. This is a tough room. I see nothing but professionalism from this man. I understood every single thing he said. He gives more patient explanations than most, understanding that the public has a lot of questions. E calmly explains hat he can't compromise the investigation.

Yup. They know what they're doing.

I think people may be turned off by his public speaking skills. I know I was but I also know that skill isn't whats most important here. After watching todays PC I came away with the impression of a man who may have been desperately fighting for resources. Hearing the emotion in his voice when he spoke of his own children, grandchildren, and Mariah was moving. He seems very relieved to have gotten so many resources now. I just wish it had been sooner. I don't know what takes so long. Maybe someone more informed would know?

Yup. They know what they're doing.

I don't see the sheriff doing anything wrong necessarily but he has sort of an off-putting cadence in his voice, IMHO. He is not a polished public speaker. He seems taken by surprise by some questions the press asks and he answers as if he has not considered previously how to answer the questions. They are simple questions such as "When was seen last seen? Are the family cooperating?" etc. He just seems like a country/rural area sheriff who takes his time talking slowly (and there is nothing really wrong with that). I think we are used to seeing people speak more in the way that the FBI agent spoke-- he was dynamic in his method of listing of what was being done to continue the search, direct in his responses and fast at answering questions. Some of the criticizing of the sheriff might be a cultural or generational difference too as people are watching from all over the world and listening to this older rural sheriff answer questions in his halting country accent. I think the sheriff is doing ok, but I wish the FBI agents would run the rest of the pressers. For me, I think it's a matter of preference for speaking style, JMO.

I'm gonna guess you're not from the south. Southerners can have a difficult time pronouncing unusual names that are not common to their neck of the woods. To us Mariah seems pretty run of the mill but that is not a common southern name. I can understand his flubbing it. Just to share a personal example. My first name is pretty straightforward to pronounce, it's Dominic. I went to college in Texas and had several professors who were die hard Texans, thick twang and all and they couldn't pronounce my name for god, love or money, they kept calling me Dominique. I was constantly correcting them and they just couldn't get their mouth to say Dominic with a hard /k/ sound at the end. I finally got frustrated to the point that I told them to just call me Nick.

I don't see the sheriff doing anything wrong necessarily but he has sort of an off-putting cadence in his voice, IMHO. He is not a polished public speaker. He seems taken by surprise by some questions the press asks and he answers as if he has not considered previously how to answer the questions. They are simple questions such as "When was seen last seen? Are the family cooperating?" etc. He just seems like a country/rural area sheriff who takes his time talking slowly (and there is nothing really wrong with that). I think we are used to seeing people speak more in the way that the FBI agent spoke-- he was dynamic in his method of listing of what was being done to continue the search, direct in his responses and fast at answering questions. Some of the criticizing of the sheriff might be a cultural or generational difference too as people are watching from all over the world and listening to this older rural sheriff answer questions in his halting country accent. I think the sheriff is doing ok, but I wish the FBI agents would run the rest of the pressers. For me, I think it's a matter of preference for speaking style, JMO.

The sheriff is quite experienced in law enforcement, really, (he didn't just come in off the farm); but you're right, he's not a good speaker.

http://www.onslowcountync.gov/530/The-Sheriff

My gut tells me she's not there. This is a pretty good sized creek so they are searching it, either because its proximity to Mariah's home or they received a tip. Unless something breaks, sadly, I believe we will see more of these over the following days.

I also suppose that I'm in the minority because I'm not quite ready to condemn the family because they aren't putting their emotions on public display, or ready to throw the boyfriend under the bus because he's, well...the boyfriend. I have followed dozens of these cases over the years, as I know several others here have and I know how easy it is to become jaded and make that automatic association of guilt as soon as a child disappears. Make no mistake, I am not defending the family or the boyfriend, just reserving my judgement until I see some sort of evidence to base my judgement on. I just hate to read some of these ridiculous theories about these people that none of us truly know.

Right now, it's time to find Mariah. There will be plenty of time and opportunity to place blame and point fingers once the evidence directs us in that direction.

Does anyone know what the equipment was that just went over the rail? Person(s) had shirts with MCRT on the back

I like the sheriff, he has a calm capable demeanour - he reminds me of an ex-colleague, they were quite brilliant but struggled with public speaking. The FBI agent is a very polished speaker so the difference is emphasised.

As as someone pointed out the cadence/pronunciation is slightly off, as if there’s been a corrected speech issue. (One of my children requires speech therapy, & their speech while much improved can sound ‘off’ in a similar way.)

Were they taking generators/battery packs down the bank with lights? Must be something if they are sticking around past sunset.

ETA: Already looks like they have the portable lights sitting on top of the bridge.

I feel for the Sheriff... I don't think public speaking was at the top of his reasons why he wanted a job in law enforcement. I know it comes with the job but maybe he didn't expect something this high profile.

My dad has said the same about sportsmen and women who don't come across well in interviews. They didn't decide to become a professional athlete just to get interviewed on tv! They want to play sports. The sheriff wants to get on with finding Mariah. IMO.

The FBI on the other hand probably get lots of training in public speaking whereas this sheriff probably doesn't have that option.

I wish I could help with the search. But I live on the other side of the Atlantic :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is the MCRT new to the picture or have they been here all day? I just noticed they went down with equipment

Major Crime Response Team apparently preserves evidence...first I've heard that acronym

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outsidecreativ