Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I were talking about this case earlier...he said that his opinion as an investigator (NOT one associated with this case, obviously, but a member of LE) is that the bio dad had nothing to do with Mariah's disappearance, but he thinks he's exaggerating a lot of his claims about the mother and questions some of the statements he's made about custody issues as an attempt to demonize the mother. He could be way off base, of course, but just putting it out there.

I got that feeling too. For that matter both parents have talked a lot about their feelings but neither has expressed much concern for Mariah's well-being. IOW, is she cold, hungry, scared, does she have a warm blanket to protect her? That kind of stuff. It smacks of selfishness IMO.

I have a hard time finding any sort of sympathy for parents or people in general who don’t protect their children or any child for that matter. It’s not acceptable under any circumstance. JMO

Agree!

OT - “Talking to the police is a serious cultural taboo”. I live in an area that is culturally and economically diverse. There does seem to be a large portion of the lower socioeconomic community that have a marred view of LE.

I recently had a terrible experience with accidentally locking my toddler in my vehicle while out shopping. Long story short, dropped my keys while buckling her and didn’t realize until the door closed and she was inside and I was out. A passerby stopped to keep me calm. This person was very nice but appeared to be of a lower economic background. Within seconds, I was calling 911 for help. As soon as I stated I was calling for LE assistance, this person’s demeanor and attitude changed. They were more willing to smash my window with my toddler inside than to wait for police to arrive. I, obviously, waited for LE and the whole experience lasted less than 15 mins. This person was supportive but immediately scooted away as the police car pulled up. The weather was pleasant, my toddler played peek a boo and blew kisses to the officer and so there was no true distress.

My point is, there is a large portion of the population that does not trust and does not want to interact with LE, no matter what the reason. Sad in my opinion. I am guessing the reason they haven’t spoken to everyone in the neighborhood is most likely willingness of neighbors.

I have a huge respect and appreciation for LE and first responders and teach my children to have that same respect as well. I’m still thankful for those that aided with this little “crisis” we experienced.

I'm glad all worked out well for you and your little one. I understand what you are talking about with the distrust regarding LE. I have, for the majority, had good experiences, when dealing with LE. However, the bad experiences taint the good ones. When you've had negative experiences, especially when there is not call for them, it tends to make one more wary. It's usually folks on the lower end of the income scale, who have the more negative experiences (I've found that to be true, even back in the day, when I was young, and lived on a shoestring). There's always one or two hanging around who truly need to be in another profession, or, at the very least, placed behind a desk (permanently).

LE is still requesting that anyone who had contact with them on Sunday or Monday come forward. Does that mean they've established that Mariah was there or somewhere accounted for up until Sunday?

You guys I got to thinking about something. Has LE checked any nearby landfills? Remember there was focus in the MSM about a trashcan outside that LE was focusing on or something? If the theory is correct that she possibly vanished before Thanksgiving and a dog hit on the trash can (I'm not sure on the specifics on the trash can but I know it was mentioned a lot) chances are IMO that she'd end up in a landfill? I can't help but wonder if an SO is behind this. Didn't someone say there are nearby SO's?

LE is still requesting that anyone who had contact with them on Sunday or Monday come forward. Does that mean they've established that Mariah was there or somewhere accounted for up until Sunday?

IMO I believe it’s to try and corroborate their story. They want to know if anyone saw her with them either day. MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I got that feeling too. For that matter both parents have talked a lot about their feelings but neither has expressed much concern for Mariah's well-being. IOW, is she cold, hungry, scared, does she have a warm blanket to protect her? That kind of stuff. It smacks of selfishness IMO.

If my child were missing, that would be all I could think about! What is my child going thru? I would use the media galore to talk to my child, tell her/him that we will find you! Plead with whoever had my child to not harm them! Anything and everything I could think of I would do! I would be a basket case and everyone better stay out of my way cause I'm going to find my child! I think I sound normal for this kind of scenario, if I believed someone took my child.

I find it curious that the family that they are purported to have visited in Raleigh (I think) have not spoken out about the visit. Or maybe they have.

Originally Posted by I_cant_always_sleep The weekend before Mariah went missing a 5 year old girl was raped and murdered in the neighboring county of Pender NC. This is approximately 45 minutes away. However no suspects have been named and news sources are scarce. I wonder if there is a connection.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...j2sdM6rThH94m5

Yes a terrible case! We discussed it in thread #1, and we also have a separate thread for this girl here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-raped-amp-murdered-Pender-County-12-Nov-2017

In reading the thread and reading the scarce MSM about the Pender County, NC, case, I do not think the cases are related in any way. They may be similar in their outcomes, but I do not see any link in the possible perpetrators of these two crimes. JMO.

If my child were missing, that would be all I could think about! What is my child going thru? I would use the media galore to talk to my child, tell her/him that we will find you! Plead with whoever had my child to not harm them! Anything and everything I could think of I would do! I would be a basket case and everyone better stay out of my way cause I'm going to find my child! I think I sound normal for this kind of scenario, if I believed someone took my child.

I don't think the bio father is going with the abduction scenario, rightly or wrongly.

This whole timeline seems suspicious to me. If we don't believe the timeline, don't believe she was abducted, then where do we begin?

My husband and I were talking about this case earlier...he said that his opinion as an investigator (NOT one associated with this case, obviously, but a member of LE) is that the bio dad had nothing to do with Mariah's disappearance, but he thinks he's exaggerating a lot of his claims about the mother and questions some of the statements he's made about custody issues as an attempt to demonize the mother. He could be way off base, of course, but just putting it out there.

BBM
I did get the feeling, in the Raw Inteview, when he broke down, that he was truly "breaking down" and was angry at the system and the mother, and tossed in a couple things that maybe he suspected, but hadn't been founded.

BBM
I did get the feeling, in the Raw Inteview, when he broke down, that he was truly "breaking down" and was angry at the system and the mother, and tossed in a couple things that maybe he suspected, but hadn't been founded.

And really, who could blame him? Shut out from his children's lives, even when one of them goes missing.

http://www.wymt.com/content/news/3-...issing-family-hopes-for-return-461166553.html

Article from Kentucky that has quotes from family members. They refer to Mariah in the past tense....

From the article:

"You read the stories, you watch the movies but you don't ever think it's going to hit home", said Mariah's great aunt Sue Rogers. "It seems so unreal to believe this. She was a wonderful blue-eyed, sandy brown-haired, loving, caring child."

One identifiable feature about Mariah family members said might help people locate her is her limp.

"She did have a limp", said Watkins. "Her and her brother both had a disorder where they limped. They both wore braces. Mariah did not wear them at all times, and she could walk without them, but she did have a very distinct limp. She would walk four or five steps and then fall."

I think the thing that sticks out to me the most, the thing I keep coming back to in my head, is when the mom said, "She could be anywhere."

I KNOW frantic people say things that don't always make sense, but I keep coming back to it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wr...-alert-in-onslow-county/17144227/?version=amp

Her non verbals. She is also shaking her head "No" throughout the entire plea.

Just an observation that could be read in different ways and can have more than one meaning.

I find it curious that the family that they are purported to have visited in Raleigh (I think) have not spoken out about the visit. Or maybe they have.

A trip to Kentucky was mentioned at some point. There is, I'm guessing maternal, family who lives in Floyd County, Kentucky. Mom, kids, and bf, may have been going there before Mariah disappeared. The Ky. family sent out a plea for Mariah's return.

http://ekbtv.com/family-members-of-missing-mariah-woods-plea-for-her-return/

And really, who could blame him? Shut out from his children's lives, even when one of them goes missing.

His imagination probably has been/is running wild, combined with the horror that child welfare services placed the children right back into his ex's home.

"boyfriends are the most dangerous people around small children" Pat Brown on Nancy Grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kwanyin2#