Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who were the "Four people in the house, two adults and two babies and somebody just comes, snatches the baby up and walks out?” AW is speaking of? Wouldn't there have been 5, 2 adults and 3 children?

I’m thinking he meant the people in the home besides Mariah who would be her mother, father, and two brothers.

Online, I can see their marriage certificate filing, but I don't see a filing for divorce.

ETA, for some reason, it looks like you can't see divorce records online. Which is weird. You can see marriage and birth (little Mariah's is listed :tears:)
You can also see separation agreements. But not divorces, you have to order those.

Does it entail legal fees to file for divorce?

The whole appeal was odd ‘Brown hair, blue eyes, goes by the name Mariah.’
along with remembering ‘feeding her & putting her to bed.’

Sounds like a missing horse, not a precious child.

I don't know, you feed your pets, but you don't feed them by hand, you put a plate or bowl down for them. I think it's just a linguistic thing and doesn't mean any more than "provided food".

"Goes by"...could be another linguistic thing, I wouldn't read too much into that one, but I'm no expert.

It would be normal for the TV crews to be feeding a mother questions to try to keep them on point, so "tell us what happened, last time you saw her, how you found she was missing, tell us her name and a brief description of her". And I think that in this case she was trying to hold onto all these questions she was supposed to answer, trying to show the 'right' level of fear and upset while covering up her actual feelings of upset and fear, and she's trying to answer all these questions while trying to hold back the things that are really in her mind and to not let the whole truth through, yet still answer the questions.

That's a lot of things for a brain to process while in a state of shock and breaking down. Unless someone is an absolute uncaring monster and a great liar, it's never going to look 'right' to an observer.

Then we have to bear in mind that people have different ways of reacting to stress and shock. Some people find they shut down and the tears just won't come straight away, and then something completely innocuous happens, maybe weeks later, and they cry and can't stop crying.

I don't want to say too much because I barely know the correct facts and especially the family laws in that state but...I believe they were still legally married?? So, there wasn't any custody papers, child support or any written agreement as of yet. If it was true, he needed to pay for an attorney etc. (to receive visitations etc.) a year is quite a long time (if I am correct about the length of time he had not seen his chidren???) to wait to be upset that you have not seen your children. I may be all wrong in this idea but if I hadn't seen my children in a year because you went off and had an affair, if I didn't have anything to hide, I would be pushing for my legal rights to see my children etc.

Not very clear on truths so just take as my own opinion.
He was paying child support and was supposed to have some sort of custody arrangement according to him. He did not wait a year to be missing them. According to him and his fiance, they have been trying to get custody at least since they had temporary custody because they believed they were being abused.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The whole appeal was odd ‘Brown hair, blue eyes, goes by the name Mariah.’
along with remembering ‘feeding her & putting her to bed.’

Sounds like a missing horse, not a precious child.

Or pet cat or dog.
It was a very odd way to get a description of Mariah out.

Unless drugs and/or alcohol were heavily consumed, I think Mom heard what occured. (I'm completely deaf in one ear. I've always slept with my good ear in the pillow to block out noises. I was so scared when my daughter was born that I wouldn't hear her. She's 6 now and I wake up when she is talking in her sleep. I've never slept through her waking up, despite my hearing loss.) I think once EK was arrested, others began talking. I wonder how much the boys saw/heard. I hope they're getting the care they need to process this tragedy.

JMO MOO etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
It is the opposite for me. If I am asleep on my "good ear" (which also has 40% hearing loss) I don't even hear the very loud alarm going off by my head. My bad ear only has 50% hearing loss, so you would think I would hear something.

We can't really gage someone else's kind of sleep or effects of hearing loss by our own. Everyone's is different.

I haven't even seen any SM rumors that mom was abused.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
And drug abuse? I probably missed it, but has it been confirmed there was drugs being used in home?

I thought the dressers were an unrelated incident they could arrest him and keep him... I didn't realize they claim he was stealing the dressers that same night. And why would you steal cheap dressers? Maybe he did have some stupid idea to use them to conceal her body, and then realized it wouldn't work.
Also, this may be unpopular and I don't want to offend, but I don't think we should be canonizing the bio father. The only info we have on their marriage and break up is from him, and honestly, I've seen this enough to know that usually, both parties are at fault. I understand he is a victim of this too, and I will try to keep this fair. But he was married to her, and "birds of a feather..." and all that. What about legal aid? I don't think it's impossible to get a divorce if you're poor. I did it. In that same city, too. Get the divorce, get the custody in order, see your children.
I'm not convinced that they aren't divorced. This is AFAIK, based on speculation from sleuthing their Facebook accounts. This is something I did not find when I sleuthed them. Regardless, I have noticed mistakes made from sleuthing their Facebook accounts on other verifiable issues, so I can't take any of this as gospel. People very, very often only make certain posts public, or at some point change from posting publicly to posting to friends only. We can never assume that we are seeing every post and getting all the details when looking at Facebook.

What we do know from MSM is that the bio father states he has been paying child support and that there was some sort of custody agreement that she was not following. We also know he had temporary custody of them for a month or so while CPS investigated mom and boyfriend. He says that he and his fiance attempted to get custody after that.

This is all from interviews he has given, but that's still more reliable than attempting to put together a picture from what is likely only part of their social media posts, since we have no idea what posts we are not seeing.

Just as an aside: I work evenings. When I call or text my husband on my break I always ask "have you fed the kids?" Or "what did you feed the kids?" (Habit, not because I need to check) and they're 2, 5 and 8 years old. I think there might be too much put upon what could just be a turn of phrase. I use the term feed, fed or feeding for what essentially is providing the food. Either the kids get themselves something or if I've been and got it, not even necessarily prepared it, then I fed them if you see what I mean. It could be anything from cooking their dinner to getting something down from the top shelf that they couldn't reach

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk

Thank you!
Also in response to posts about DV that re-victimize the victim.
Support system is key! But where is it for some? I still think of some of the people I worked with whether victim or defendant before retiring. The woman who had been abused by Dad and brothers her entire life, she paid a high price the times CPS was called and did nothing. She married a man like her father, friends with her brother. Had babies, was in the ER numerous time with broken bones, always covering up the truth. You grow up knowing there is no help and learn to accept what is as normal. Until one day years later her 12 year old son told her he was going to kill the father, it was after she woke up from a coma, a beating that left her brain damaged, affected her speech, motor skills, and thought processes. I met her when I was conducting the pre-sentence investigation on her husband for the court. Taking the beatings was the only way she knew to protect her children. another case; a father and 2 others tied a man to the basement pole. They beat and tortured him but not before bring the father's 4 year old son to the basement to make a "man" out of him by watching and being told to urinate on him. No wonder years 16 years later the now grown son was arrested for DV & assault. Later going to prison. I even think of my daughter, saved in the nick of time, we adopted her at the age of 12. Sexually abused by grandfather and father. It happened to all the girls in the family. The grandfather even impregnated his own daughter.Luckily for her she ended up in foster care and it was not to late for a good support system to help. It may be only us that have had a good support system who can help some of these children in foster care, or report things we see and not be daunted by when nothing happens the first time through CPS. I have seen what can take an innocent child and turn them in tomorrows victims or abusers. I have 3 bio kids (one passed away), 2 adopted. I think somehow I was born to be a mother. But seeing the reality and the tragedy, results of a child's cycle of life solidified it. When I was the age most were planning their retirement I chose to adopt a 2 year old child with cerebral palsy from overseas. I felt I had enough time left to give another child a "support system", the semblance of family and a chance. I write all of this because I agree completely with the need for a good support system. But where does it come from when it's not the family? WE sometimes see through rose colored glasses and judge through our life experiences. It's just not that black and white.

An excerpt from this article states Mariah’s mother and father are divorced.

Mariah’s mother is divorced from the girl's father, Alex Woods, who said that while his daughter is with her mother his weeks are “like hell, like a nightmare.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...d-mother-boyfriend-arrested-article-1.3672349
Thank you! I was trying to figure out how there would be child support if they were still married. Because if they could afford to get paperwork for child support order and custody agreement, surely they would have also followed through with divorce.

Does it entail legal fees to file for divorce?

I am sure it varies by state but I have a friend in Virginia that has come out and wants to divorce wife but "they can't afford it". So they stay married legally and just lead separate lives. Interesting, but it happens.

Divorced or not, does it really matter?
KW wasn't married to EK was she? So what's the big deal about her dating EK if she wasn't yet divorced from AW? It's not like the two of them were still living together and she was cheating on him. They're estranged.
Many people (my parents, included) date other people while they are still married.
My parents separated in 2007, and didn't sign any divorce papers until September of 2014.
In those 7 years, my dad dated another woman and my mom dated another guy,

JMO

Why does it matter right now if they were all divorced or married, etc....?

One odd take-away from all of this - - if someone owns a house but doesn't live in it, don't let it "look" foreclosed/ abandoned, it becomes attractive to miscreants. Stealing, drug use, etc. Best to try to keep up the yard to community standard, get some light timers, etc. I mean, I don't believe that that took little Mariah with him on his stealing expedition, and then the dresser fell over on her, she was crushed and he panicked. BUT, in this litigious society, heck, the owner could probably be held liable if something like that happened. (That's not what I think happened)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway