Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #5 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience if CPS involvement doesn't result in permanent removal, the dependency court reunifies the parent and typically reverts to the original custody arrangement. Then it's up to the other parent to go back to the family court and try to change custody.

It appears this dad sought custody in depdnency court but was denied as reunification took place and he lacked the funds to fight it out in the regular family court.

None of this is unusual and may say nothing about dad but a lack of resources.

I agree. A lack of resources is a big reason why a lot of non-custodial parents aren’t able to enforce the parenting plan. Someone said that any court will let you declare yourself indigent to waive the cost to get divorced but that is just the filing fees. Legal aid can’t provide services to everyone so a lot of time there just isn’t help when it is needed.

Even though there is the ability to represent one’s self in these matters, it isn’t easy to do, especially for the non-custodial parent. In my state the judges prefer to not change the residential parent and will do anything to avoid it. Watching the hearings at the pro se docket in our family court is really eye opening. I feel badly for this dad.

Great post! And thanks for supporting social workers. Let's not forget that they not only remove children from terrible abuse, they have to testify, and a lot of times (like this case) return the children to the abusive home. Has to be a very stressful job.

Alot of times it is not the Social Worker's decision....they report to so many higher beings and feel the pain of the wrong decisions themselves. High rate of turnover when your opinion is overuled.

Oh. What a winner. I think I will rush out to invite him into my home. Let him babysit my kids.

I know. I was thinking, "Shoot. It's websleuths." Sadly most of us know. It's part of the triad that indicate the potential to be a serial killer: Arson, animal abuse and bed wetting.

We are the ones who bear responsibility for this. It's like deciding to send your kid to a private school where the teachers have 100 kids per class and no teaching credential and then blaming them for not doing their job properly.

If we want people who are highly intelligent and motivated then we need to offer pay that attracts the best and the brightest. If we want them to be able to do their jobs properly, we will hire more and allocate much more money to the system.

When an underpaid, overstressed worker with a caseload of 50-60 has the choice to open a case and add one more child into the overburdened system or gloss over it, there are going to be cases like Sherin's or like this one.

The responsibility is ours. We are aware of the problem. We know the facts. But we continue to put our kids in a private school with 100 kids per class and teachers that lack teaching credentials. And then we become righteously indignant and turn on the teachers. But we knew. We knew in advance.

This is a societal problem. And I'm not saying all social workers are terrible or uneducated. But with the system we have accepted we are going to have more issues than there should be.

Bottom line, most of the kids in the system come from poor, minority and/or drug-abusing families and the nation really just doesn't give a damn about that demographic until one of them dies a horrific death. Then suddenly we shriek about how stupid and negligent and criminal are the overburdened, underpaid, inexpert people who we intentionally entrusted these vulnerable little lives to.

It's our choice, our responsibility and we have failed.

AMEN. You go. This is exactly what makes this place special. Those who actually understand the problem. Thank you.

:cheers::cheers::goodpost::goodpost:

When my now 21 yr. old son was 3 he was staying at his Grandmother's house for the day. ..and he came up missing. Police were called, I rushed there and eventually he was found by an offficer curled up sleeping behind the A/C unit in the utility room. I was in sheer panic mode/ bewilderment the entire time. Thank God the news didn't show up because my reaction would've been scrutinized. .I wasn't a blubbering, sobbing mess....didn't shed a tear until he was found..however I was mentally to the point of losing all eloquent speech and saying God knows what in my panicked state. And I'm in Mississippi, so her words are not striking me as odd. We cannot really judge Mom's reaction in an interview until we have been in that position. And this was the first of 2 times he gave me a near fatal coronary by disappearing.
<bbm>

For those who think an individual's presentation is not appropriate to the circumstances … some of you may recall the Victoria Stafford case where the majority (including LE) thought Tori's mom was involved based on her appearance, behaviour, words, etc at her almost daily pressers. The upshot was that the mom was a true victim all along, and those who were so convinced otherwise were flat-out wrong. Rafferty and McClintock were found guilty of Tori's murder.

Any grieving parent is a victim, and their behaviour is not necessarily presented as others think it should be. It is prudent to tread very carefully and err on the side of caution. Websleuths is victim friendly and does not engage in re-victimizing an individual who is already a victim.

Yes, you may link to posts and pics on the social media of victim or suspect.

In this specific case does the definition of victim include family members?

IMO, he knew of the Fields case and when Mariah was killed, he decided to stage it to look like a repeat, especially knowing a suspect had not yet been identified. Something along the way went wrong...either he planned to leave her in the adandoned home and backed out because his DNA was all over the home, or he planned to hide her in the dressers. My thought is that he was going to leave her but backed out, decided to hide her in the dressers to take her to the creek as he didn&#8217;t not want to get caught by LE moving her (remember the roads he used are typically well covered by LE) and then decided to keep the dressers after dumping her. I believe the location was well thought out so that it appeared to be a copycat of the Fields murder.

Why are so many convinced the dressers had anything to do with the death and disposal? At this time from what I understand there is 4 or 5 days prior to the reporting of her disappearance that no one outside the family saw her. She could have died and been disposed of anytime within that range. He has a history of larceny. So he was making a little extra little money by stealing from what looked like an abandoned house. The picture I saw the house did;t look like it was worth $40 so I can&#8217;t imagine the contents was worth much either. I think the charges relating to the dressers which he must have still had when they charged him with possession of stolen property were only a tool for LE to keep him incarcerataed during the investigation.

JMHO

This is not correct, unless charges were placed that I'm not aware of. The charges I saw were endangering a child because she left Sherin home alone that Friday evening.

No, you're right.
By the time I realized I had the wrong charge against her, it was too late to edit.

Has anyone found any sm accounts for Earl Kimrey? When I Google his name every hit is about his arrest.

I was asking Sillybilly because I wanted to know if family members social media is allowed to be linked and discussed.

If the answer is yes which family members? Parents only? Grandparents?

From WS TOS:

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect
Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

Alot of times it is not the Social Worker's decision....they report to so many higher beings and feel the pain of the wrong decisions themselves. High rate of turnover when your opinion is overuled.

I have so much respect for Social Worker’s. I couldn’t do what they do.

Sadly, common sense and laws don’t always align and some people know exactly how to work the system.

100% agree. They threw that charge on him to hold him. I don’t think the dressers have as much relevance to the homicide as others are concentrating on.

I disagree. I think WE have a lot to answer for. When we accept a system that gives 40-60 caseloads to overburdened social workers. When we accept a system that pay them less than teachers receive and not as much as lawyers. When we accept a system that continues to view parent's rights to their children, (including their rights to discipline them via hitting), as a constitutional right while the child's right to safety, security and protection from harm is not.

We have agreed to this system. We have the power to change it.

The parent’s right to parent being a bigger priority than a kid’s right to a healthy and safe home is something I will never understand. My ex is violent and is diagnosed a sociopath and is a malignant narcissist. For a long time he was only allowed to see my daughter when supervised by a court appointed therapist (because regular supervisors couldn’t keep him from bad behavior in front of her). Over time he did the bare minimum and was able to get visitation every other weekend, despite it not being in her best interest. She hates going and begs not to go, but I am required to literally force her into his car so he can “parent” her every other weekend in a toxic, angry environment... because he claimed he wanted to and is entitled to. Not only is he unable to parent because of his personality disorders, he and his new wife fight constantly and a lot of the blame is placed on her which is eff’d up.

The one time I didn’t force her into his car and honored her request to stay home after a particularly bad visit, instead of trying to encourage her to get in his car and go with him, he called the police on her. He knew I wasn’t withholding his parenting time, so he called the cops on a seven year old and told them she wouldn’t go with him. He doesn’t even enjoy her, but he is entitled to the time and so he will take it because he knows we don’t like it.

Oh, ok. All family members are victims in terms of not talking about them negatively, but none are victims for the purpose of social media linking. Only social media allowed is direct fictions and POI/ suspect.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you but I'd rather get clarification from a mod or admin.

Unfortunately, if there is no evidence to link KW to Mariah's death, she won't be charged....petition or not.

This sums up in one sentence what has begun to disturb me about this thread.

Is that a law? So, hypothetically speaking, I could be arrested if there was a petition with 5000 signatures asking for my arrest? I’m not saying she innocent or not, but that doesn’t sound right. What would they arrest her for? I’m pretty sure if they had something to charge her with they would arrest her.

The idea of an online petition to arrest someone is nuts.

In this specific case does the definition of victim include family members?

All family members are off-limits (unless designated POI or suspect). You may discuss what a family member, friend, or acquaintance has said in MSM, but you may not sleuth them or their social media and post about it here.

There have been times where WS has made an exception that is thread specific, but they are few and far between. Following is the general rule that is applied:

from The Rules: Etiquette & Information

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srg164