Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting harder and harder to read posts in this thread. I understand due to the nature of this case it is very emotional and hard to grasp.

I am probably am not going to keep up with this thread very often but let us not forget we are not in anyone else's shoes. We all did the best we could here on WS and other ways such as social media, maybe there were some members who even volunteered and searched.

Together as a society we have to find ways to help make the world a better place. I would love to wave a magic wand and make it happen, unfortunatly I know that isn't possible. One thing I think many can do is to reach out to your local school discrict and see if they hold assemblies or have classroom discussions on the difficult topic of child abuse.

My prayers have been with Mariah since the day she went missing and they still are. Her brothers have also been added as well. I hope those who loved her and are innocent but just don't know how to cope with this can get the help they deserve and can heal and find a way to make something positive happen. I hope those who are responsible are found guilty and punished to the maximum sentence of the law.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Good post and i fully agree.

It's getting harder and harder to read posts in this thread. I understand due to the nature of this case it is very emotional and hard to grasp.

I am probably am not going to keep up with this thread very often but let us not forget we are not in anyone else's shoes. We all did the best we could here on WS and other ways such as social media, maybe there were some members who even volunteered and searched.

Together as a society we have to find ways to help make the world a better place. I would love to wave a magic wand and make it happen, unfortunatly I know that isn't possible. One thing I think many can do is to reach out to your local school discrict and see if they hold assemblies or have classroom discussions on the difficult topic of child abuse.

My prayers have been with Mariah since the day she went missing and they still are. Her brothers have also been added as well. I hope those who loved her and are innocent but just don't know how to cope with this can get the help they deserve and can heal and find a way to make something positive happen. I hope those who are responsible are found guilty and punished to the maximum sentence of the law.

I'm not following you. What on earth does the local school district have to do with Mariah's death?

I'm sure the judge is not pleased with AW for releasing the CPS docs, but if I were AW I'd have a hard time not criticizing the judge (if it's the same one) for placing the kids back in KW's care. that's hard to swallow.

The Judge may have slapped AW. But if there truly was a conflict of interest in 2016 on the part of CPS, I think the Judge would also demand a full investigation.

I'm not following you. What on earth does the local school district have to do with Mariah's death?

I would imagine education of these issues would be of help when abused children feel there is no help out there for them. Not Mariah because she was too young to go to school, but children in school that can relay the pain of abuse for themselves and perhaps their younger siblings, and obtain help through their school counsellors, that could also notify the authorities of any problems like that their students might be having. JMO.

One thing I think many can do is to reach out to your local school discrict and see if they hold assemblies or have classroom discussions on the difficult topic of child abuse.

I never thought about it before but I wonder how many schools hold discussions about this? Truthfully I have a feeling it is probably non-existent. I'm not even sure if schools still have discussions about "good touch, bad touch" with the students. With how reactionary some parents are these days with any sort of sexual talk I'd be willing to guess schools have stopped it.

I would imagine education of these issues would be of help when abused children feel there is no help out there for them. Not Mariah because she was too young to go to school, but children in school that can relay the pain of abuse for themselves and perhaps their younger siblings, and obtain help through their school counsellors, that could also notify the authorities of any problems like that their students might be having. JMO.

And I'm still baffled by your post because the brothers of Mariah are ages 5 and 10 and there is no evidence whatsoever that they conveyed their abuse to their teachers. I think children of abuse live with terrible fear of their accusers and nothing will change that fact.

A statement made by AW, in the 2016 CPS documents, discussed an incident that involved the CPS workers child.

My friend was a social worker, and a single mother of 3 kids. Her kids were in public school and she sometimes ended up awkwardly being sent to check on families that she knew through local sports activities or school etc.

She lived in a small town where everyone knew everyone so it was hard to keep totally separated from her clients.

What is so difficult about reading posts on this thread?

My friend was a social worker, and a single mother of 3 kids. Her kids were in public school and she sometimes ended up awkwardly being sent to check on families that she knew through local sports activities or school etc.

She lived in a small town where everyone knew everyone so it was hard to keep totally separated from her clients.

Didn't she still have the ethical duty of raising conflict of interest when it arose?

It has nothing to do with it. Sorry about the confusion. Just trying to see something positive come out of this nightmare.

It has nothing to do with it. Sorry about the confusion. Just trying to see something positive come out of this nightmare.

I doubt there is anything positive which will come out of this nightmare. Everyone seems in CYA mode.

I sympathize with the dad for his unimaginable loss. In an interview he and his fiance said they were afraid something like this might happen.

The issue I have is that Mariah was failed by many adults in her life, yet the father seems to point fingers at the system having failed her. In my opinion (and I realize it's not a popular one) he failed her as well.

Just one example: Would a $4,000 - $7,000 retainer fee stand between you and your 3 children whom are being sexually and physically abused?

I would NEVER just throw my hands up in the air, admit defeat and go back to my life with my fiance and their children.
Never.

You must not have ever been poor. To someone in AW's situation a $4000 to $7000 retainer, might as well be $100,000 or a million. They are obviously not well educated, probably don't have very high paying jobs, living paycheck to paycheck, with very little/none or bad credit, and no way to go about getting that kind of money. I don't mean that as a criticism but as a reality of how they probably live from what we know of the situation. A retainer fee basically gets them nothing. To get the lawyer to actually do any work and go to court will cost that much money again or more and how can he afford that? I assume that Heather's children live with them, so he has them to support plus having to pay KW child support for the three children. NC needs to revise their laws because they make child custody disputes a needlessly outrageously expensive process.

Sadly North Carolina is not a state you want to be living in when you get a divorce and get into a child custody battle. I have a nephew that spent almost two years getting a divorce and fighting for custody of his two young daughters in North Carolina and it cost him just over $25,000 when all was said and done. It was hard for him to come up with that kind of money and he is a very well paid IT guy. His ex-wife abandoned him and his children by moving out of the house and did not see their children for almost 8 months, and some of the things she did before the final custody hearing should have automatically made her an unfit mother.. North Carolina is such a "mommy state" that it was still hard for him to get custody of his two girls.

After observing what he had to go through I can absolutely understand why AW was frustrated with DFACS and released the documents. It may not have been the wisest thing to do but I can sure understand it. His worst fear for his children had just been realized with Mariah's supposed disappearance and ultimate death. As far as the oldest child goes, I gather from reading the documents that because of some unknown incident, he already has some restrictions about being around other children, so that information would have already been out there to some extent, if AK and KW were seeing to it that the rules were followed. JMO

One of my concerns are how many local parents have read the documents and now will no longer let the oldest son play with their children based on information regarding him that is in those documents.

The part about the social workers incident is worded strangely, I don't think it was the social workers child involved - I think he is saying he had to notify social worker of incident after the friend contacted him because Kristy had not taken care of it so that person called law enforcement.

Didn't she still have the ethical duty of raising conflict of interest when it arose?

Yes, she had to back out of making any decisions. But she often went to an address, not realizing that she would 'know' the kids or recognize them from the park or t-ball games. So many last names and blended families so she didn't always know the family name she was sent to check on.

But if she is sent to a home on an emergency wellness check, and she has to ascertain whether there is food and clean environment or not, and she happens to recognize the face of one of the children from a ball game, she cannot really stop the entire emergency order and make note of that because it is not the important issue at the time. The issue is whether or not the children were in imminent danger.

She can excuse herself from further work on the case, but sometimes you get pulled into situations where you might know one of the family members from the local area.

Yes, she had to back out of making any decisions. But she often went to an address, not realizing that she would 'know' the kids or recognize them from the park or t-ball games. So many last names and blended families so she didn't always know the family name she was sent to check on.

But if she is sent to a home on an emergency wellness check, and she has to ascertain whether there is food and clean environment or not, and she happens to recognize the face of one of the children from a ball game, she cannot really stop the entire emergency order and make note of that because it is not the important issue at the time. The issue is whether or not the children were in imminent danger.

She can excuse herself from further work on the case, but sometimes you get pulled into situations where you might know one of the family members from the local area.

in cases of conflict of interest, the conflict needs to be disclosed immediately, imo. I don't care if they recognized the children from Scouts, Brownies or Church. No exceptions. None of these social workers are out in the field working by themselves.

in cases of conflict of interest, the conflict needs to be disclosed immediately, imo. I don't care if they recognized the children from Scouts, Brownies or Church. No exceptions. None of these social workers are out in the field working by themselves.

Do you think there is a conflict of interest because you have seen a child and recognise his/her face? May have been in the same class as your own child? I have been in that situation and I didn't deem it any conflict of interest. I would have if I had been friends with the child's parents, but I was not.

Do you think there is a conflict of interest because you have seen a child and recognise his/her face? May have been in the same class as your own child? I have been in that situation and I didn't deem it any conflict of interest. I would have if I had been friends with the child's parents, but I was not.

You disclose the conflict of interest and let the court or the parent decide whether they want you to proceed.

I live in a small town so I could see this happening. If the person is an acquaintance in passing, that one just sees at a school function, that's one thing. If the person they are checking on, is someone they meet for lunch, and their kids play together, and have sleepovers, that is entirely different, and should be called in to the office, as soon as is feasibly possible, so as not to jeopardize a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jangelyn