Deceased/Not Found NC - Monica Moynan, 23, mom of 2, Holly Springs, 7 Apr 2019 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Rsbm
Ugh I hate the idea of a treacherous, never ending landfill search. So hard on the families and the searchers alike :(
Bolded by me. This is just surreal (though not unexpected) to be discussing here as a longtime websleuther. My husband had to take something to the dump back in early Fall. He had a big truck, so had to take the furniture he was disposing of to the actual Holly Springs landfill. He said he got out and was literally standing in trash. And I of course was thinking about the possibility of Moni’s remains or evidence being out there.

I HATE this for her family. PLEASE, Jarlyn Sluss, if you are reading this right now. Do the right thing. Let this family know where to find Moni. If you don’t know, get Brian Sluss to talk. DO THE RIGHT THING. Krystal Kenney did plenty wrong, but ultimately she brought a little peace to Kelsey Berreth’s family in allowing for justice to be served. DO THE RIGHT THING. Talk. Now.

Do it for your boys. Can you imagine what you would feel like if this happened to them?

Last edited:
Brian Sluss, if you’re reading here...you may be aware of Patrick Frazee’s trial and the verdict. His daughter will eventually grow up and learn all that he did to her mother. The same can be said for your children.

Do you know what the one thing you could do RIGHT NOW that may slightly change how your children view you when they learn about all that you’ve done someday? TURN YOURSELF IN. Let Moni’s family know where her remains are. You can write the end of this story. YOU can control that.

You can’t change the fact that you will go down for this. But you can change HOW you go down. Think about it. You expressed some time back that you wanted to be a better man. Show us. Do the right thing. That’s all that is left to do.

Last edited:
Investigators searching for a missing Holly Springs woman recently found traces of her blood and took soil samples from and searched the woods around her ex-boyfriend’s parents’ house, newly released warrants state.

Monica Moynan, 23, was last reported seen by people other than her ex-boyfriend in April and is presumed dead because of how much time has passed, police have said.

Investigators are treating her ex-boyfriend, Brian Sluss, 43, as a “person of interest,” or someone who may have information about her disappearance, according to Holly Springs spokesman Mark Andrews.

Sluss has not been charged in the case.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article237370454.html

Monica Moynan was first reported missing in July and was last seen in April. No remains have been found, but law enforcement officials believe she is dead.

The case is being treated as a murder investigation.

Holly Springs Police Department has identified Brian Sluss and his ex-wife, Jarlyn Sluss, as persons of interest in her disappearance. Brian Sluss is Moynan's ex-boyfriend.

New search warrants show that on Aug. 12, detectives interviewed Brian and he gave an account of the days before Moynan's disappearance that was completely different than the one he gave police a month prior.

On July 23, according to warrants, Brian told police that Moynan had a drug addiction before she disappeared.

However, according to the new warrants, on August 12, he said the Moynan "did not really have a drug problem and was depressed."

The warrants also say that investigators noted his timeline about when she went missing was inconsistent.

"Brian admitted the actions he did looked really bad," the warrants said.

Earlier warrants showed Sluss never filed a missing persons report and was texting people posing as Moynan after her disappearance.

Warrants released last month showed that investigators found a positive pregnancy test and interviewed a friend of Moynan who confirmed that Moynan believed she was pregnant. Investigators also learned that she made, but failed to keep, an appointment at a women's health clinic in April.

The new warrants also show the Raleigh/Wake City-County Bureau of Identification searched the kitchen area of an unidentified home related to the case in August and noticed signs of possible clean up on the tiles. When the tiles were removed, "a large area in between the cracks were positive for human blood," the warrants said.

Warrants reveal new details in case of missing Holly Springs mother believed dead

Investigators searching for a missing Holly Springs woman recently found traces of her blood and took soil samples from and searched the woods around her ex-boyfriend's parents' house, newly released warrants state.

Monica Moynan, 23, was last reported seen by people other than her ex-boyfriend in April and is presumed dead because of how much time has passed, police have said.

Investigators are treating her ex-boyfriend, Brian Sluss, 43, as a "person of interest," or someone who may have information about her disappearance, according to Holly Springs spokesman Mark Andrews.

Sluss has not been charged in the case.

Investigators found Moynan's blood between cracks in kitchen tiles where there were "signs of cleanup," the newly released warrants state. The warrants don't say whose kitchen it was, but Andrews said it was not in the parents' house in Virginia.

A neighbor also said she saw Sluss taking out three "big black trashbags" around 2 or 3 a.m., around the time that normal activity from Moynan's phone had stopped, the warrants state.

Moynan had an on-and-off relationship with Sluss for about five years and they had two children together, ages 3 and 1, according to the warrants. Police said in October that she may have been pregnant when she disappeared. She had previously filed a protective order against her ex-boyfriend, saying he had been "choking her to the point in which she thought she was going to die," the warrants say.

Moynan was not reported missing until mid-July when her property manager and mother realized they had not heard her voice since April, The News & Observer has reported.

Conflicting statements
According to previous warrants, Sluss had Moynan's phone and texted her friends and family pretending to be her. Her mother received a text from Moynan's phone referring to the couple's children as "the ladies," which is what Sluss called them.

Moynan's boss and several friends felt the messages they were receiving from her account and phone were out of character, the warrants say. Some Facebook messages asked Moynan's female friends for threesomes.

Sluss told investigators he had texted Moynan's friends and family pretending to be her because he didn't know how to tell them she had become addicted to heroin and disappeared, the warrants state. He later said she was not addicted and was depressed. He also admitted using her social media accounts, according to the warrants.

The warrants say he gave four conflicting statements to police about Moynan's disappearance.

Ex-wife questioned
Warrants also indicate police believed Sluss's ex-wife might have information because the couple have been in touch throughout the investigation, The N&O previously reported.

She called the manager of Moynan's apartment pretending to be her, according to the warrants, The property manager also received messages from a different email address that had Moynan's name, the warrants say.

The ex-wife also told investigators she had a copy of a driver's license belonging to Moynan, as well as several photos she had copied from a laptop given to her by Sluss, according to the warrants.

Sluss's parents told police that his ex-wife cared for him and tried to get back with him after he and Moynan broke up, the warrants state.

Police find blood, search woods in Virginia for missing NC woman

This was shared publicly by Monica's mother on Facebook:

M"personal timeline shortly before and leading up to what we thought was Moni’s disappearance and now know was her death. #justiceforMoni

Try and imagine...

March 2019, life is normal
We continue to see Moni and the girls on a regular basis. Kayleigh comes for sleepovers often. Nova, still breastfeeding at only 7 months isn’t ready for sleepovers away from Mommy just yet.

March 30, 2019
We buy Moni a car (prior to this, her transmission went on her vehicle on 3/23.) In the picture you see here, Moni is stopping what she is doing in the midst of getting her (new to her) vehicle, and proudly breastfeeding little Nova.

April 1, 2019
Moni tells me she thinks she has a sinus infection. We chat about this.

April 2, 2019
Moni and I talk about her Etsy page for Moni’s Magic and I help her with ideas, sharing on social media, posting links etc.

April 3, 2019
Moni decides to go to the doc and asks us for a copy of the insurance card (she was still on our health insurance) we chat and send copies of the card.

April 6, 2019
I check in with Moni asking her how she is feeling and how the car is working out for her. She tells me she’s feeling a bit better and the car is awesome and she loves it! We plan to get Kayleigh for a sleepover that week and Moni tells me her idea of how to pay us back for 1/2 of the car cost. This was our last conversation.

April 6 -April 7, 2019
Moni went out with friends that very night. Brian was at HER apartment (he did not live there) to watch the kids. There were many angry texts sent from his phone to Moni’s throughout this night. The last being “where the F are you?” Her response being “I’m right outside smoking a cig.” Moni had driven her car and made it home safely in the wee hours of the night.

***Moni was never physically seen or heard from again.***

April 8, 2019
I texted Moni asking how she was feeling and what her schedule was this week. I received a text from Monis phone saying she was still doing a bit better but working all week and the “ladies” were getting sick now...

This was Brian. I didn’t know.

From here forward it was him. I am so sorry that I didn’t know. He was diligent, and regular and full of good excuses whenever they were needed. I am incredibly sorry that I didn’t know. But I didn’t. I had weird feelings and thought she was acting strange from time to time but I never thought to myself “oh maybe this is not my daughter” ... I hate that I didn’t realize that he was pretending to be her sooner. .. but the bottom line is that Moni was gone already. My baby had already been killed."

So since Monica willingly had him at her home does that mean he wasn't in violation of the protective order? He willingly admits to doing "home rehab" which is basically holding her hostage...would that not also be an admission of breaking the order? I'm confused how he is still not in prison. Ditto for the ex wife - it's a crime to impersonate someone, let alone help cover up a murder

So since Monica willingly had him at her home does that mean he wasn't in violation of the protective order? He willingly admits to doing "home rehab" which is basically holding her hostage...would that not also be an admission of breaking the order? I'm confused how he is still not in prison. Ditto for the ex wife - it's a crime to impersonate someone, let alone help cover up a murder

We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. They may be leveraging time, trying to locate Moni before they make an arrest.

In the meantime, info is trickling out from the search warrants. Wonder how it feels to live each day knowing the shoe is about to drop, and you'll never see the light of day again?

I'm thinking investigators are waiting for the forensics to come back on the blood found in the kitchen between the tiles at the ex-wifes residence, and the blood in the soil samples they collected at the other residence As well as their electronic data and the other things they've collected for evidence Before they make an arrest.

It's definitely a sad situation none the less. Monica's family deserves answers, Monica deserves to be found and brought home to be laid to rest , and her family deserves justice!

I just don't understand how this person can sleep at night knowing that his little girls won't have the opportunity to visit their mother's grave if they want to. Is he really going to let his daughters live like that? Without knowing where their mommy is? If she's alive or not? Thinking that she might come back one day, when she clearly won't? This is so disgusting. Poor babies.

I just don't understand how this person can sleep at night knowing that his little girls won't have the opportunity to visit their mother's grave if they want to. Is he really going to let his daughters live like that? Without knowing where their mommy is? If she's alive or not? Thinking that she might come back one day, when she clearly won't? This is so disgusting. Poor babies.
I agree with everything you say, :) but, I think deep down inside you've already answered your own questions. I have the same questions, yet I know what the answers are as you most likely do too. Anyone that would take a life and go through all he did to hide it, most likely doesnt care how his babies live for the rest of their lives. There's so many other ways he could have been a free man, but, evil is evil and he did what evil does.

How I wish Monica would have reached out more or left to a safe place. But, she's like any woman , as myself was at her age, :( and really didnt believe how dangerous he was and is.

We always believe there's light at the end of a dark tunnel, especially when we make progress in our lives as Moni was doing and I guess that's one of the most dangerous times, because the other person sees how strong you are and is threatened by it.

Moni was well on her way to being able to take care of her babies and he knew that. He gave no <modsnip> what happened to THE babies, he saw the road ahead where he would be made to pay child support and most likely one more as it has been said that Moni may have been pregnant.
I don't think he will ever admit to where Moni is. I just hope this case can move forward without her body, as I feel they have enough evidence to arrest.
God bless the babies and Monis family that loved her and want her home!!
All my own opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking investigators are waiting for the forensics to come back on the blood found in the kitchen between the tiles at the ex-wifes residence, and the blood in the soil samples they collected at the other residence As well as their electronic data and the other things they've collected for evidence Before they make an arrest.

It's definitely a sad situation none the less. Monica's family deserves answers, Monica deserves to be found and brought home to be laid to rest , and her family deserves justice!

“...blood in the soil samples they collected at the other residence.” ???

Did I miss something?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokkuyifyi
Back