NC NC - Neely Smith, 5, Charlotte, 18 Feb 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A Parole Board hearing is scheduled for 1 May 2015 which will consider whether or not to parole Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. Anyone can contact the board before it meets with their recommendations and thoughts.

Here is the most recent address to send your recommendations concerning Parole for Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. DOC# 0081135

Beth S. Creech, Administrative Assistant
Victim Advocate/HR Professional
NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
2020 Yonkers Road, 4222 MSC
Raleigh, NC 27699-4222
919-324-1175 ~ Office <--NEW NUMBER
919-324-6255 ~ Fax <--NEW NUMBER

beth.creech@ncdps.gov

The feeling I have about Coffey is the same feeling I had after reading about David Maust, Mark Schwab, Westley Dodd and many others - all should've rot in jail right after the first offense/rape, but somehow the wheels of justice don't always seem to rotate in the right direction.

"Child killer's DNA could help solve 1981 cold case"

http://www.wistv.com/story/30012492/child-killers-dna-could-help-solve-1981-cold-case

Then, in 2004, a witness came forward with new information about the case. According to the warrants, the witness said that while reading newspaper stories about the Smith and Ray murders he recognized a picture of Coffey.

The witness, who was a child at the time of Smith's disappearance, told detectives that he was playing with the girl on the day of her abduction. The warrants state the witness "recalled Fred Coffey pulling up in a white van and telling both that he was sent to pick them up by their parents."

February 18th will mark the 25th Anniversary of the abduction and murder of Five year old Neely Smith.

I was 8 when she was abducted, she'd just been at my apartment, playing barbies with me. She was one of my best friends, which is rare with the age difference (8 and 5 year olds normally don't mix socially, but there were only a handful of us kids in those apartments, so we all knew each other.) I know remains were found but part of me keeps hoping she's alive out there,even if she has no memory of who she really is. My mother died last year still regretting not insisting on walking her home, but it was the 70s and 80's and no one thinks bad things happen in the space of two buildings in plain sight.

I always think of her, somewhere in my head, I'll always miss her.

Julia

Thank you. I'm Neil's daughter, Kristen. Thank you for putting flowers on her grave. I always wondered how they got there since no one from our family hardly ever goes. God bless you.

I'm Kristen Smith Selph, Neil Smith's daughter. (The one in CosmoGirl) I just discovered this website and it's a bit confusing. First off, I want to thank everyone that has posted. Whether you knew Neely or not, it means so much she is still thought of by so many. I'm trying to get a message out to anyone that actually knew her. I need any information I can get. I want Fred Coffey convicted for the kidnapping and murder of my sister. I KNOW he did it. My whole family does. There's got to be some information or evidence out there. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any questions about Neely, my dad, or myself feel free to ask. I'm very open and want to use my life experiences, be they good or bad, to help others. Thank y'all.
Kristen Smith Selph

I'm Kristen Smith Selph, Neil Smith's daughter. (The one in CosmoGirl) I just discovered this website and it's a bit confusing to me. First off, I want to thank everyone that has posted. Whether you knew Neely or not, it means so much she is still thought of by so many. She was so special. I know she would have done big things. I'm trying to get a message out to anyone that actually knew her. I need any information I can get. I want Fred Coffey convicted for the kidnapping and murder of my sister. I KNOW he did it. My whole family does. There's got to be some information or evidence out there. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any questions about Neely, my dad, or myself feel free to ask. I'm very open and want to use my life experiences, be they good or bad, to help others. Thank y'all.
Kristen Smith Selph

Kristen,

Welcome to Websleuths. I hope that you are successful in finding the answers you seek.

Fred Coffey resides in a state prison in Burgaw, NC where he is serving a life sentence for the murder of a 10 year-old girl. He committed many other crimes against children and is the main suspect in both Neely's murder and that of Shane Travis King (age 8).

I believe that police investigators in Charlotte, NC have jurisdiction in Neely's case and that they would know what evidence exists and where it is kept.

Hi everyone.
I'm Kimmell, a new member to your group.
I live here in Belmont, North Carolina, and who happens to know Neil Smith, Neely's dad.
Recently, getting out of prison himself for the shooting death of another man, Neil has had many struggles, loniless, and regets in his life.
I talked to Neil recently about the many years that has passed since Neely was taken from him.
He answered that if Neely had died of a sickness or maybe killed in an accident it would have been easier in dealing with the pain.
But, to have your child murdered by a man who could have thought twice and let her free is something that time will never release from your heart.

Neil stated that the popular tv show, "48 Hours" contacted him and Neely's mother about doing a show on the case, but both feel they do not want to relive the horror of what happened.
Neil understands that the case is not closed with the Mecklenberg Police Department. They have new personell on the case hoping to give Neely's loved one's some answers.

My mother is buried right near Neely Smith in The Greenwood Cemetary here in Belmont.
When I take flowers to mom, I walk over to Neely's grave and place a flower on her headstone.
On Neely's headstone is an oval picture of her holding a glass, with a warm smile.
I always sit and hold Neely in my thoughts while there.

It's so sad and hurtful knowing that Fred Coffey has a warm place to sleep, good food to eat, all the knowledge he can gain from the books that are offered, no worries.
It's so sad that everytime I drive to the cemetary, I have to pass the hill that is the home of this poor child.

Neil get's a far-away look in his eyes when he talks about his "Little Girl".
Neil has many friends that stand by him.
After talking with Neil Smith, you really learn how precious your loved are.

Kimmell

This is Neil's daughter, Kristen. Thank you so much.

FRED H COFFEY
Offender Number:
Inmate Status: ACTIVE
Race: WHITE
Ethnic Group: EUROPEAN/N.AM./AUSTR
Birth Date: 03/20/1945
Current Location: PENDER CI, Burgaw, NC

Fred Coffey's next parole/release hearing is scheduled for 1 June 2020. He is currently being held in North Carolina's Pender Prison.

Please let the Parole Board know your thoughts and feelings on this matter.

You can review his online inmate record at the link below.

LINK:
NC DPS Offender Public Information

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee