NC - Nia Hantzopoulos, 64, murdered, Charlotte, *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As many times as I've been to that Goodwill alone, I'd really like to think this wasn't a stranger abduction and murder that originated there.

Me too. I frequently ride my bike in that area as well as shop. The crime really is starting to creep into this area little by little though. Im by Blakeney, and we are starting to see more and more stuff that just wasn't here years ago. Im no longer comfortable riding on the greenways after several assaults. I cannot believe this happened.

Just reading about Nia and I'm trying to catch up. How did they know so quickly who to issue a murder warrant for? Is this someone she knew? Are there witnesses?

Just reading about Nia and I'm trying to catch up. How did they know so quickly who to issue a murder warrant for? Is this someone she knew? Are there witnesses?

Still being tight-lipped about those specifics. I'm anxious to find out the answers myself.

Saddened to hear this.

Prayers of love and comfort to Nia's family and friends. Rest in Peace Nia.

:(

Yolian Y Ortiz FOX46 Charlotte
Like This Page · 4 hrs ·

A friend of Nia tells me she came to this plaza everyday at noon and got items for her business at the Goodwill. He also says Mendoza would be there every day and was infatuated with her.

Mendoza didn't live far either, he would always walk to Goodwill. He would always help her select shoes for her business.

https://www.facebook.com/YolianYOrt...545618942677/1691371367860100/?type=3&theater

:(

[video=twitter;814192892159856640]https://twitter.com/tanyamendis/status/814192892159856640[/video]

I assumed it would turn out to be something of this nature. From everything I've read by those who knew her she seemed like such a sweet person. The kind of person who would strike up a conversation with anyone.

Maybe Mendoza mistook her friendly personality as having an interest in him. He did walk to the goodwill each day just to see her. Unfortunately he probably decided to make his move that day and didn't handle the rejection well.

I believe he may have asked her for a ride home. Being the kind parson she was and having seen him on a daily basis at goodwill she probably saw him as harmless. Shortly after leaving goodwill, I think he made a pass at her. Now she felt uncomfortable and pulled into the parking lot where her car was found. She likely reiterated to him that she's married and that she didn't want to see him again. He became angry and she asked him to get out of her vehicle. At this point i think he snapped in a fit of rage, feeling hurt and betrayed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

One employee said Mendoza came to the restaurant five weeks ago to pick up his paycheck and noticed scratches all over his face.

Also from the above link. Terrifying bit of information. I wonder if there have been any other disappearances he could be responsible for?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I live 20 miles from Charlotte. I have been to that Ballantyne area a lot so naturally I am very curious what transpired. I would have thought Rock Hill since that area has so many sketchy people :(

This is very sad and my condolences go out to Nia's family and friends. May she rest in peace. :praying:

I think you all have the wrong Goodwill. Everyone keeps referencing the one in Ballantyne in the IHOP shopping center. It is my understanding she was at the one at the Food Lion shopping center off Johnston road which makes more sense because it is about 3 minutes from her house. The Ballantyne one is 15-20 minutes away and in the complete opposite direction of the flea market. Also the news is reporting he worked for Tin Tin which is a restaurant very close to that Goodwill and that he walked to work because he didn't have a car.

I think you all have the wrong Goodwill. Everyone keeps referencing the one in Ballantyne in the IHOP shopping center. It is my understanding she was at the one at the Food Lion shopping center off Johnston road which makes more sense because it is about 3 minutes from her house. The Ballantyne one is 15-20 minutes away and in the complete opposite direction of the flea market. Also the news is reporting he worked for Tin Tin which is a restaurant very close to that Goodwill and that he walked to work because he didn't have a car.

I totally agree with you....he lived very close to the one off Johnston road (food lion) shopping center...his address.... 10000 block of Oak Run Drive...This address is a pretty long way from the goodwill in Ballantyne.....although her car was found parked in Ballantyne...that could be why people assumed she went to the other goodwill

[...]

On Monday, Mendoza’s roommate told police that Mendoza asked him at about 4 p.m. on Dec. 16 to carry something from their apartment in the 10000 block of Oak Run Drive. That’s 1.1 miles from the Goodwill store.

“They went outside to a vehicle that was backed into a parking space about 15 feet from the apartment, and he helped Mendoza load a heavy object wrapped in a white sheet in the trunk of the vehicle,” Grande said in the affidavit. Mendoza’s roommate said Mendoza told him the object was a deer, but the roommate told police that his experience with deer hunting “made him think the object was too heavy and not shaped like a deer.”

The roommate also knew Mendoza, 44, did not have a vehicle, so he wrote down the vehicle’s tag number and its color, make and model, a silver Toyota Avalon, the affidavit says.

[...]

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article123817144.html#storylink=cpy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OKseeker
Back