NC - Nia Hantzopoulos, 64, murdered, Charlotte, *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Right! I forgot the one in Pineville was off 521 too. I don't ride that way because of attacks on women on the greenway that ends near there. Sorry, I completely forgot both Goodwills are basically off the same road, but miles and worlds apart, IMO.

[...]

On Monday, Mendoza’s roommate told police that Mendoza asked him at about 4 p.m. on Dec. 16 to carry something from their apartment in the 10000 block of Oak Run Drive. That’s 1.1 miles from the Goodwill store.

“They went outside to a vehicle that was backed into a parking space about 15 feet from the apartment, and he helped Mendoza load a heavy object wrapped in a white sheet in the trunk of the vehicle,” Grande said in the affidavit. Mendoza’s roommate said Mendoza told him the object was a deer, but the roommate told police that his experience with deer hunting “made him think the object was too heavy and not shaped like a deer.”

The roommate also knew Mendoza, 44, did not have a vehicle, so he wrote down the vehicle’s tag number and its color, make and model, a silver Toyota Avalon, the affidavit says.

[...]

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article123817144.html#storylink=cpy
Oh my. Since he knew she sold jewelry I wonder if that was the lure out of the store to his apartment where he said there were buyers for Christmas presents?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So, where is this guy?? Any hint of where he might be hiding out?

He used to work at pier 51 seafood in Rock Hill few years back. Always wore strange lick on tatoos of hearts with no names on his arms with sleeves rolled up. Once had a unicorn tatoo with sparkles<< very strange. Nice man though never would have suspected this other than the strange tatoos he would wear.. Was always a go getter for the waitresses. He has friends still working there and the owner knows him well.

I live 2 minutes from that goodwill and about 5 from where she was found. While it is technically Ballantyne it is on the very edge.

Man accused in Charlotte woman's murder arrested in Myrtle Beach

WBTV Web Staff
Dec 31, 2016 10:10 AM

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Police in Myrtle Beach arrested the murder suspect in the killing of a Charlotte woman Friday night.

Humberto Alvarez Mendoza, 44, is wanted for the killing of Nia Hantzopoulos after she went missing a few weeks ago.

[...]

According to police, he was arrested Friday for being a fugitive in the state of North Carolina.

http://m.wbtv.com/wbtv/db_330726/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=MF8ddpYA

Man accused in Charlotte woman's murder arrested in Myrtle Beach

WBTV Web Staff
Dec 31, 2016 10:10 AM

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Police in Myrtle Beach arrested the murder suspect in the killing of a Charlotte woman Friday night.

Humberto Alvarez Mendoza, 44, is wanted for the killing of Nia Hantzopoulos after she went missing a few weeks ago.

[...]

According to police, he was arrested Friday for being a fugitive in the state of North Carolina.

http://m.wbtv.com/wbtv/db_330726/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=MF8ddpYA
Great News especially for Nia's family and friends!

So happy about this! The is going to fry with the testimony of his roommate.

So weird... it sounds like the roommate helped him move the body even though the explanation that it was a deer made him suspicious?

I'm amazed he was recognized in Myrtle Beach. He looks so ordinary and at least in the middle of NC, this case isn't widely known. He could have walked right by me and I wouldn't have known!

So weird... it sounds like the roommate helped him move the body even though the explanation that it was a deer made him suspicious?

I'm amazed he was recognized in Myrtle Beach. He looks so ordinary and at least in the middle of NC, this case isn't widely known. He could have walked right by me and I wouldn't have known!
So very thankful he was found for Nia's family.

so happy they got him ! I still want to know more about the roommates involvement. I don't want to sound gross but after 5 days a human body goes trough some horrible things...that cannot be hidden with just a sheet. The roommates participation seems criminal.

so happy they got him ! I still want to know more about the roommates involvement. I don't want to sound gross but after 5 days a human body goes trough some horrible things...that cannot be hidden with just a sheet. The roommates participation seems criminal.

He helped carry her out on the same day she was abducted.

He used to work at pier 51 seafood in Rock Hill few years back. Always wore strange lick on tatoos of hearts with no names on his arms with sleeves rolled up. Once had a unicorn tatoo with sparkles<< very strange. Nice man though never would have suspected this other than the strange tatoos he would wear.. Was always a go getter for the waitresses. He has friends still working there and the owner knows him well.

Their shrimp is delicious!!

I'm glad they caught the guy.

Off Topic. I was just telling an ex boyfriend from high school days about Nia as he was Greek.
He hadn't heard about her but told me her last name was his grandmother's maiden name.

It appears he may have tried to change his appearance if this is the mugshot.

68bf7cc4a26de60401d814e708dcf6b4.jpg

http://www.crimeincharlotte.com/arrest-of-suspect-in-charlotte-murder-case/

So the crime scene must have been his apartment - he somehow must have gotten Nia there via force or possibly asked for a ride home?

From your link Lisa:

"In addition, he found blood on the floor of his roommate’s bedroom which Mendoza later cleaned."
"It is unclear whether the roommate will be charged with aiding in the crime."
"Police were able to retrieve possible evidence from the apartment during a search that they conducted on Monday. They brought back several items including carpeting, bedsheets, a pillow, duct tape, bleach, and clothing."

Poor Nia.

So the crime scene must have been his apartment - he somehow must have gotten Nia there via force or possibly asked for a ride home?

From your link Lisa:

"In addition, he found blood on the floor of his roommate’s bedroom which Mendoza later cleaned."
"It is unclear whether the roommate will be charged with aiding in the crime."
"Police were able to retrieve possible evidence from the apartment during a search that they conducted on Monday. They brought back several items including carpeting, bedsheets, a pillow, duct tape, bleach, and clothing."

Poor Nia.
I really hope they don't charge the room mate. He could have been in fear of his life if he would have said...hey dude this isn't a deer?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OKseeker
Back