NC NC - Sandra Ross, 31, Apex, 8 Jan 1984

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 100DFNC
SRoss.jpg

Sandra Kay Randall Ross
Missing since January 8, 1984 from Apex, Wake County, North Carolina.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• [*]Date Of Birth: February 6, 1952
    [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
    [*]Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 120 pounds
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    [*]Marks, Scars: Ross has a mole on her lower left cheek.
    [*]Clothing: Ross was last seen wearing tan corduroy pants and a burgundy sweater and carrying a wine colored purse.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Ross was last seen on January 8, 1984 in her hometown of Apex, North Carolina.
Her husband informed authorities that she left their home to drive to the local drugstore around 12:00 PM that day to purchase medicine for their daughter, who was ill. When Ross failed to return home in an hour, her husband stated that he drove to the drugstore himself and discovered her car abandoned in the parking lot of the Cary Village Mall, now called Cary Towne Center. Ross has never been seen nor heard from again.
Ross was employed as a nurse at the time of her disappearance. Her family has stated that it would be uncharacteristic of her to simply leave her loved ones without any forewarning of her plans.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Ross' whereabouts, please contact:
Wake County Sheriff's Office
919-856-6791

All information may be submitted anonymously.

NCIC Number:
M-114171592
Please refer to the number above when contacting agencies with information concerning this case.

Source Information:
Wake County Sheriff's Office
The News and Observer

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/100dfnc.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2482/

I know it's predictable but I wonder if the husband was cleared? Just because Sandra's vehicle was found at the carpark doesn't mean she was ever there. I'm assuming she was never seen at the Mall? Would be interested to know if anyone could verify Sandra's movements or if it's all coming from the husband.

There are a few newspaper articles I can post a bit later but I did find that her signature had Kay Randall listed. Wonder if she went by Kay a sometime?

Name: Sandra Kay Randall[Sandra Kay Ross][S Ross]
Race: White
Birth Date: 6 Feb 1952
Birth Place: Albemarle St, North Carolina
Death Date: Jan 1984
SSN: 240886594
Signature on SSN Card: Kay Randall
Relationship of Signature: Signature name differs from NH’s name.
Notes: Nov 1967: Name listed as SANDRA KAY RANDALL; 08 Apr 1976: Name listed as SANDRA KAY ROSS; 09 Mar 1991: Name listed as S K ROSS

Interesting that the marriage was June 1976, and I found a Sandra Ross discharged from hospital with baby 1977. After rabbit holes I found it was a Sandra K Ross, well it turned out the K was for Kathleen so that one unrelated.

This case seems different to me. A only child close to family, good job, no major marriage problems. I don’t believe husband has anything to do with her disappearance. Her husband look in for her after only a hour does make me wonder if he was worried about her and if she was depressed at the time.

upload_2021-1-4_11-13-25.jpeg

Her mother said Sandra had some things going on in her life, but wouldn't divulge details. I found that...odd

Obviously hubby is #1 person of interest. Unsure if he was ever cleared.

Cold Case
Mr. Ross reported that he left their residence to look for his wife after she did not return home in an hour and a half after leaving their residence. He reported that she had left the residence to purchase groceries and medication for a diaper rash found on their baby. Mrs. Ross’ purse was recovered from inside the vehicle. Interviews were conducted with friends and co-workers of Sandra Ross that attended a party at the Ross’ residence on Saturday, January 7, 1984. It was reported that the party ended around midnight. Mr. Ross was reported to have assisted in the care giving of their daughter while Sandra entertained friends and co-workers during the party.

I read the circumstances of the case on the Charlie project that when they interviewed Sandra’s mother that she had suspected that there was a problem in Sandra’s personal life.
It could have been with the marriage or her job​

In this case, I think it was the husband.. not directly.. he could have paid someone to do it knowing where his wife would be.. perhaps he did it to mislead.. he knows something..
rest in peace sandra

July 6 '24
'In Apex, one case highlights the increasing cold case problem with no major developments for over four decades.'

"We have started from the beginning on this case. We started talking to the friends, to the family, to the daughter who is now an adult," said Juan Collado, senior investigator.
While investigators are still seeking explanations, now they are sure that Ross never actually made it to the store. Her car and various other belongings were left abandoned outside Cary Village Mall (later renamed Cary Towne Center) which is now the new site for Epic Games Headquarters in Cary. Investigator Collado also explained that when investigators spoke to store employees, they had no record that Ross ever had bought anything that day.''
VIDEO

*The day Ross went missing, she told her husband she was headed to the pharmacy in search of some items for her baby. But when she never returned, her husband became worried and contacted the police. It’s been 40 years since then, but now with modern technology and a change in lead investigators, Ross’ case is under review from a fresh perspective.

While investigators are still seeking explanations, now they are sure that Ross never actually made it to the store. Her car and various other belongings were left abandoned outside Cary Village Mall (later renamed Cary Towne Center) which is now the new site for Epic Games Headquarters in Cary. Investigator Collado also explained that when investigators spoke to store employees, they had no record that Ross ever had bought anything that day

rbbm
''Law enforcement also interviewed friends and coworkers who attended a party on Jan. 7, 1984, that the Ross family hosted.''

''Collado said Sandra Ross was a supervisor at Rex Hospital, and called it “out of her character” not to return home.''

“I think there is a cold case crisis nationwide, not just in North Carolina,” Thompson said.
Thompson shared why thinks there are so many cold cases throughout the country.
“Between COVID and the police movement, there is a shortage in law enforcement,” Thompson said.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back