GUILTY NC - Tim Hennis on trial in the '85 Eastburn murders, Fort Bragg

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The connection is the atrocious crimes. They commit the crimes then go on and live normal lives. It is like they compartmentalize, wall off what they did in their memory and go on. What they did is in the past and they just forget it and go forward.

Dennis Radar is another who committed atrocious crimes then went on to lead a sort of normal life. His family had no idea when he was committing the crimes, and never had any idea in the years afterward until he got caught.

I agree the crimes were atrocious. The war crimes defendants would say they were able to live relatively normal, productive lives free from crime is because they were only following orders during the commission of their war crimes. Of course, I don't buy it completely, but they have that "out." Guys who kill and rape for no other reason than their sick perversions I don't think could ever live a normal productive life free from crime.

I'm still updating this link. I think I'm going to start a thread in Trials.

Here is the latest I've found. The military is definitly moving forward on trying Hennis.

FORT BRAGG, N.C. — Defense lawyers on Monday presented testimony from two witnesses on DNA evidence to a military judge during pretrial motions for a soldier acquitted of a triple slaying in civilian court 18 years ago.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/2974536/

I'm going to be following this one. I still believe Tim Hennis to be innocent. Maybe I'm wrong and it will be proven by the DNA during the trial.

I believe I read somewhere that the trial is expected to start in September.

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/573385.html

More than two decades after a rape and triple homicide in Fayetteville, investigators apparently unearthed enough DNA evidence to persuade the Army to drag Tim Hennis out of retirement, put him on active duty at Fort Bragg and charge him yet again.
Army prosecutors might disclose that evidence next week. At a hearing that starts Wednesday at Fort Bragg, they will try to prove that Hennis should be tried for a third time for the 1985 murders of an Air Force wife and two of her daughters.

In 1986, Hennis was convicted and sentenced to die. In 1989, after the state Supreme Court ordered a new trial, he was acquitted. Now he might be tried again.

Hey newmom! I'm going to check out your links and follow along. Please keep updating. :blowkiss:

Thanks NewMom2003 for this thread, I am anxious to see the outcome of this trial. I tend to believe he's innocent too.

I just finished reading Scott Whisnant's "Innocent Victims" concerning the Eastburn murders and Tim Hennis's two trials. I was so relieved after the second trial that he was acquitted since I really didn't think there was enough evidence at the crime scene to link him to the murders even though he had very recently bought the Eastburn's dog.

I have never read a true crime book with so many twists and turns and so many coincidences.

After reading the book I immediately went to the internet to find out whatever happened to Tim Hennis and his family. Lo and behold I find out that via DNA, he's being charged with their murders by the military after 20+ years and a hearing was scheduled for June 2.

I can't seem to find what the result of the hearing was. If anyone knows, please post it here.

Having just put the book down, I am very interested in following this case.

Welcome to WS zoey!

I'm glad there is some interest in this case. I'll keep posting updated information as I get it.

Thanks newmom2003 .... the book exhausted me by the time I finished it. Keep me posted on any updates. I couldn't find by googling what the next step is since the latest hearing June 2.

I need to read more about this interesting case. Thank you, NewMom2003.

Wasn't his DNA found inside the murdered woman?
Also didn't Hennis go to her home the day before her murder for some reason, but according to him he never went inside her home?
IDK, but if his DNA (bodily fluid/semen) was anywhere near the victims, I have to say he's in trouble.

He went to her home to take the dog that she was selling, but I can't remember how many days it was before the murders. As far as DNA, it wasn't invented 20 years ago when the murders happened, so it's a distinct possiblitity that samples were kept and tested recently, however I've not been able to find out anymore about the case since it has been re-opened.

Wasn't his DNA found inside the murdered woman?
Also didn't Hennis go to her home the day before her murder for some reason, but according to him he never went inside her home?
IDK, but if his DNA (bodily fluid/semen) was anywhere near the victims, I have to say he's in trouble.

Hennis did go to her house before the murders to get the dog. I can't remember if he went in the house or not.

I believe semen was found inside Katie Eastburn's body.

The Fayetteville police never looked at another suspect after Tim Hennis and his wife went to the police department on their own to tell them what they knew and that he had been at the house.

I question the chain of command on this DNA and whether it's been tainted or not.

I don't think he did it, but I could be wrong. I'm anxious to see how it all plays out.

I just finished the Movie and started research. I found a page on the Military Board, that even his daughter was on...very sad..Yes he did go into the Eastburns house, used their bathroom. The DNA was not preserved thru chain of command per that board, alot of his military buddies wrote on the board that he was innocent, but one person was a real *advertiser censored** seemed like a troll.
They said the trial was postponed for later in 2008, but didn't have exact Date..I saved it to go back an see if anyone else posted in the next week or so.
Watching the movie it did seem he was railroaded.
an as one poster said the DNA could be blood, not necessarily semen..

It says he is a grandfather now, was in the military all these years and was in I believe in Irag. He retired in 2004. I can't believe the military would do this on some gung ho prosecutor, that didn't like the not quilty on the last trial these per the posters.

I am glad this is on our board, I have searched alot, I wanted to see a picture of him, just curious.
Hope some of you others find out more..

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SWilkie1985