GUILTY NC - Tim Hennis on trial in the '85 Eastburn murders, Fort Bragg

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Google News Alert for: Eastburn Murders

Army prosecutor: Jurors shouldn't hear 'acquittal'
WBTV - Charlotte,NC,USA
... of a soldier who was acquitted of the same murders in civilian court. ... in the 1985 deaths of Kathryn Eastburn and her two daughters, Erin and Kara. ...

Hennis prosecutors want no reference to acquittal
FayObserver.com - Fayetteville,NC,USA
Hennis, 51, is facing his third trial in the murders of Kathryn Eastburn and two of her daughters, 5-year-old Kara and 3-year-old Erin. ...

Google Blogs Alert for: Eastburn Murders

Army prosecutor: Jurors shouldn't hear word 'acquittal'
Hennis, 51, is charged with premeditated murder in connection with the 1985 fatal stabbings of Kathryn Eastburn, 31, and her two daughters, 3-year-old Erin and 5-year-old Kara. Investigators also said Eastburn was raped. ...
WSJ News - http://www2.journalnow.com/content/list/news/
Army prosecutor: Jurors shouldn't hear 'acquittal'
Master Sgt. Timothy B. Hennis is charged in the 1985 deaths of Kathryn Eastburn and her two daughters, Erin and Kara. His conviction and death sentence in civilian court was overturned on appeal, and the second jury acquitted him. Although he retired from the Army in 2004, he was recalled to ... FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) _ Military prosecutors want a judge to bar the word "acquittal" during the murder trial of a soldier who was acquitted of the same murders in civilian court. ...
WSJ News NC/Politics - http://www2.journalnow.com/content/list/news/ncpolitics/

---

I think that any ruling should include both trials, ie., if the jury is allowed to hear "acquittal" they should also be allowed to hear that he was found guilty at the first trial and vice a versa. If they are not allowed to hear "acquittal" then they should not be allowed to hear "guilty".

The trial was scheduled to begin 15 September, but the Defence is now making another motion to delay the trial until January. The judge says he will make his decision on the matter in 1-2 weeks.

Tim Hennis did have his last trial via military charges. I talked to some folks from Fayetteville NC at Dollywood and asked how that trial turned out ..... they said he was convicted of murder and was sentenced to life in prison without parole ..... the sad thing is that he had many years of total freedom by being aquitted in the other trials.

Things are heating up now. The Google alerts say that the defence tried to have the ID witnesses (Cone, Cooke and the late Margaret Tillison) declared unreliable but their evidence is being heard although Cone and Cooke were discredited at the second trial.

Still, the real proof of the pudding is going to be the DNA evidence. That is what led to the third trial, after all.

Sameera, lp1964, Samantha17, thank you all for the updates in this case. If you have links to articles or otherwise, would you post them or if any of you can steer me in the right direction to read, it would be very appreciated!

:blowkiss: Thanks again! Boyz_Mum

Sameera, lp1964, Samantha17, thank you all for the updates in this case. If you have links to articles or otherwise, would you post them or if any of you can steer me in the right direction to read, it would be very appreciated!

:blowkiss: Thanks again! Boyz_Mum

What I did was create a Google alert for Tim Hennis. You go to the Google homepage and you will find facilities there to create a Google alert for any topic you want. Then when a new piece of news comes up on your particular topic, you will receive an email notification and a link to that article. That's how I receive updates on the case.

Thanks sameera! I never "google alerted" before, that's a handy tool!

I discovered it myself recently. Go to the Google homepage, click on the "more" drop-down menu, then click "even more". You will come to a list and click on "Alerts". That takes you to the Google alert facility.

Mind what keywords you put in for your Google alert or you can end up with alerts that don't relate to what you are following but have the same words.

I used "Tim Hennis" as my alert title (do you think that's too broad?)

Thanks for the assistance! :blowkiss:

The Hennis trial is schedule now for Feb. 2010.

The trial was scheduled to begin 15 September, but the Defence is now making another motion to delay the trial until January. The judge says he will make his decision on the matter in 1-2 weeks.

Wow another delay? I am very interested cause like some of you I've read the book and yes the author was really believing in Tim Hennis. I would also love to see another book published.

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/10/13/942734

A military judge rejected Master Sgt. Timothy B. Hennis' request to have items from a murdered family's home forensically tested for his murder trial, Fort Bragg officials announced Tuesday.
Hennis will be on trial for the third time for the May 1985 stabbing deaths of Kathryn Eastburn and two of her daughters in their home near Fort Bragg. His lawyers asked Oct. 1 to have items from the home tested for DNA. The lawyers contend that Hennis is innocent and that the testing might point to someone else as the killer.

(more at link)

I'm going to be following this one. I still believe Tim Hennis to be innocent. Maybe I'm wrong and it will be proven by the DNA during the trial.

I believe I read somewhere that the trial is expected to start in September.

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/573385.html

More than two decades after a rape and triple homicide in Fayetteville, investigators apparently unearthed enough DNA evidence to persuade the Army to drag Tim Hennis out of retirement, put him on active duty at Fort Bragg and charge him yet again.
Army prosecutors might disclose that evidence next week. At a hearing that starts Wednesday at Fort Bragg, they will try to prove that Hennis should be tried for a third time for the 1985 murders of an Air Force wife and two of her daughters.

In 1986, Hennis was convicted and sentenced to die. In 1989, after the state Supreme Court ordered a new trial, he was acquitted. Now he might be tried again.

so the double jeopardy clause of the constitution doesnt count if your being tried by the army?

Scott Whisnant the author of "Innocent Victims, also made into a movie was very much on the side of Tim Hennis and refused to believe anything contrary to his beliefs. Scott interviewed me (a juror on the second trial) for his book, my name is in the book. At the time, I made the comment that if the jury could only know for sure that the semen was his, it would have been an entirely different verdict. Well, DNA testing wasn't being conducted in 1989, so the jury had to decide a verdict based upon known facts in the case and the decision was based upon there not being sufficient evidence to find Hennis guilty of the three murders and rape. The jury was qualified to sentence him to death if the verdict was found as "guilty". I have been haunted by this trial since then. Very bad feeling when the news came out that his DNA was found as part of the rape kit. This case has been a nightmare, but I research everything I can on it and will continue to do so until it is finally done.

Scott Whisnant the author of "Innocent Victims, also made into a movie was very much on the side of Tim Hennis and refused to believe anything contrary to his beliefs. Scott interviewed me (a juror on the second trial) for his book, my name is in the book. At the time, I made the comment that if the jury could only know for sure that the semen was his, it would have been an entirely different verdict. Well, DNA testing wasn't being conducted in 1989, so the jury had to decide a verdict based upon known facts in the case and the decision was based upon there not being sufficient evidence to find Hennis guilty of the three murders and rape. The jury was qualified to sentence him to death if the verdict was found as "guilty". I have been haunted by this trial since then. Very bad feeling when the news came out that his DNA was found as part of the rape kit. This case has been a nightmare, but I research everything I can on it and will continue to do so until it is finally done.

i hate that you have to live with that if this guy really is guilty.
but since when does double jeopardy not attach when a person is acquitted?

I guess I shouldn't have said it was the defense asking for more time, because we really don't know. Could be the defense, could be the prosecution. However, 9 times out of 10, it's the defense asking for more time, because every delay is to their advantage.

That would be John Raupach. No, the composite sketch wasn't a dead ringer for him. It was a dead ringer for Tim Hennis, the man Patrick Cone clearly saw within four feet of him, under a streetlight.

John Raupach didn't commit this crime; the defense even admitted that he didn't. He was a seventeen-year-old high school student who happened to live in the neighborhood. He passed a polygraph and had an airtight alibi for the first bank transaction.

The defense used him to confuse the jurors in Hennis's retrial, and it worked!

Just so you will know; John Raupach was just a part of the reason a "Not Guilty" verdict was reached. There was much more. Although if what is now known about the DNA was available in 1989, it could have had a different ending.

Wow another delay? I am very interested cause like some of you I've read the book and yes the author was really believing in Tim Hennis. I would also love to see another book published.

It would be nice to see a book come out that was not partial to one side. The book "Innocent Victims" is totally slanted toward the Defense.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
subzero55
Back