NC- Vernon Shipman, Charles Glass, and Louise Shumate, Homicide, July 17, 1966

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

poetic_justice

Reaction score
I'm from a small town in North Carolina called Hendersonville where I still live today. I recently came across the triple homicide of Vernon Shipman, Charles Glass, and Louise Davis Shumate while doing research on an urban legend my friends were talking about.

latest

On July 17, 1966, a local business owner Vernon Shipman was reported missing after not showing up for work that day. Later in the month on July 22, two men stumbled upon the body of Vernon up at Lake Summit, as well as the bodies of his lover Charles Glass, and a woman by the name of Louise Davis Shumate.

AR-607209891.jpg

They were all beaten to death with two of the victims having stab wounds as well. Charles Glass' body was found with his crutches (that he had been using days previous) laid out in a cross. Years later in 2006, the police say they believe it was a man who had escaped jail during the time of the murders, despite proper evidence and the fact that the man was probably framed for his previous crime, being a black man in the 60's, it was easy for the police to get away with that. They even had witnesses saying that they say all three victims as well as a fourth unidentified white man driving in a car together the day they went missing. Below is the composite sketch from witnesses of that man:

V8-606072131.jpg

Interestingly 2 weeks before they were killed, there had been a cross burning by the KKK in Charles Glass's yard because he had a black musician over for lunch earlier. The police did not take it seriously when Glass and Shipman went missing because they were gay and he thought they were just out partying.

Some believe they were killed because of their sexuality, while others believe it was connected to drugs and organized crime. Whatever the reason, these murders deserve to be solved, no matter the victim of how long ago it was.

Thompson guilty of murders? Not so fast ...

Hunt for a Killer – Early Suspects | Henderson Heritage

Murder intrigue deepens

Wow. That’s all kind of weird. We think of the 60s as being a simpler, more innocent time but it appears that people were people even then.

Hendersonville is a beautiful area. We are moving about 15 miles south of there, just inside the SC line, sometime this year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackerjack82
Back