GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you, very informative. Do you need someones acct# or a password or what? Lets say I want to send you $, How do I connect to your account?

You would have to join venmo, then you link your bank account to it. Once that is done and you are on Venmo, anyone can find you by using your email or cell #. No one can see your bank account, but say I wanted to send you money I would put in your email address, your name would pop up and I would enter the amount I want to send you. It then asks for you to put in reason and you can type in anything you want or just send an emoji or even a bit emoji...like text. You hit send and in 10 seconds it is in the other persons venmo account. It will sit there until you access the app and transfer it to your bank and it will be in your account in less than a minute. Your explanation for what it is shows up in that persons account and if it is public anyone can see the explanation but not the amount.

You would have to join venmo, then you link your bank account to it. Once that is done and you are on Venmo, anyone can find you by using your email or cell #. No one can see your bank account, but say I wanted to send you money I would put in your email address, your name would pop up and I would enter the amount I want to send you. It then asks for you to put in reason and you can type in anything you want or just send an emoji or even a bit emoji...like text. You hit send and in 10 seconds it is in the other persons venmo account. It will sit there until you access the app and transfer it to your bank and it will be in your account in less than a minute. Your explanation for what it is shows up in that persons account and if it is public anyone can see the explanation but not the amount.
Thank you for the info

Unfortunately I suspect foul play without a good ending. I'm local to Raleigh and live near Cameron Village so have been following this developing story.
1) I don't think AB created some elaborate scheme to voluntarily go missing nor drugs being involved. Fact is he posted the RR for sale, he told his friends about the date/time/location of transaction, LE traced buyers to burner phones, AB's phone was found on side of highway, burner phones pinged in Danville, RR vehicle was found abandoned in Danville.
2) There is nothing out of ordinary for him to park his latest BMW car at friend's complex even if ex-gf. After selling his RR, he would have to get to his car and the apt is within walking distance. In hindsight, perhaps the safer option would have been to bring along a friend, who can then drive you back to your car.
3) Cameron Village at Saturday 2pm would expect to be a busy location however the K&W restaurant shut down recently so the parking lot is vacant and lots of businesses are still closed due to Covid. Also, K&W is on the backside and only Chik-Fil-A faces it directly across the street. Also, there was a local media article indicating none of the nearby businesses had cameras facing K&W parking lot.
4) The statement that the RR was parked at the stop sign, then moved again and found next day in Danville, I'm not sure the former was confirmed by LE. I know it was said in a FB post but not sure how reliable source was. If it is indeed true, then it is kind of odd that perps would abandon twice.
5) The Venmo transaction is not out of ordinary. A friend could have paid him the next day (Sunday) for something like a sports bet. Easy for LE to lookup Venmo ID of the payer and discount it out.

Most likely scenario is that the two buyers met AB at the parking lot, asked to test drive the vehicle with AB in the car, then drove away from K&W and became a theft incident whether theft of car and/or money from ATM. The question then becomes how did the two buyers arrive at the meeting location. Did they have their own vehicle. Is there a third suspect. How many suspects were in the RR vehicle during test drive. Who was driving the RR. Also believe the case got hot with attention and perps had to ditch RR sooner than they had wanted.

Last edited:
He looks so much like someone I know. He looks like a normal, happy, every day dude that has friends, likes to experience life and works to make ends meet. This situation makes me sad for him.

Having 5 brothers and being around many males, I can say that not one of them would take a photo of a license to send to someone or think twice about getting in a car with a buyer. Thats stuff I say and they roll their eyes or say yeah, im not doing that.

Venmo- I think all payments were to him? All you need is the phone number of a person to send money. Its owned by PayPal. Its PayPal without fees for friends. But. I have the app. If someone got into my phone, they could send money to another account from my phone.

I 1 million percent do not think he left on his own. That woukd be a super weird way to do it for a guy who coukd just go away. This happened TO him, not because he did it. My opinion.

Lastly, its not weird he would walk to an ex-gf apartment, to me. I hardly have an ex who wouldn't get a ride from me, if n I was close by. There was no report of a volatile break up. Just that shes an ex.

^^^^all thats my opinion from my own brain. :)

So the RR was found in a different location than the stop sign sighting? Was the in Danville as well? I saw a street number and something like “Blair”.

The RR was allegedly seen Sunday night in Blairs, which is just north of Danville at 8:30pm parked near a stop sign with the lights off.

The RR was located yesterday by LE in Danville.

Would be interesting to know the condition the Range Rover was found in and if there was any evidence to be found.

Would the FBI be able to use on the onboard computer of the RR to determine exactly where it had driven and stopped along the way?

Would be interesting to know the condition the Range Rover was found in and if there was any evidence to be found.

Would the FBI be able to use on the onboard computer of the RR to determine exactly where it had driven and stopped along the way?

Yes, assuming that it wasn’t removed. I was reading that the onboard computer/gps equipment is typically the most valuable for a car that is being stripped down for parts.

He looks so much like someone I know. He looks like a normal, happy, every day dude that has friends, likes to experience life and works to make ends meet. This situation makes me sad for him.

Having 5 brothers and being around many males, I can say that not one of them would take a photo of a license to send to someone or think twice about getting in a car with a buyer. Thats stuff I say and they roll their eyes or say yeah, im not doing that.

Venmo- I think all payments were to him? All you need is the phone number of a person to send money. Its owned by PayPal. Its PayPal without fees for friends. But. I have the app. If someone got into my phone, they could send money to another account from my phone.

I 1 million percent do not think he left on his own. That woukd be a super weird way to do it for a guy who coukd just go away. This happened TO him, not because he did it. My opinion.

Lastly, its not weird he would walk to an ex-gf apartment, to me. I hardly have an ex who wouldn't get a ride from me, if n I was close by. There was no report of a volatile break up. Just that shes an ex.

^^^^all thats my opinion from my own brain. :)
Also the reports said he would often parks cars around town where he wouldn't get fined or have to pay, parking the BMW in that location makes a ton of sense (used to live there) as it's one of the only spots in downtown with plenty of parking that doesn't require permits/typically have any cars towed/and is free.

911 call reveals new details in Raleigh man’s disappearance | CBS 17
The 911 call, placed Saturday just before 8 p.m., said that Banks ” would never go six or seven hours without responding to me.”

The caller said that Banks last checked his cellphone before the planned meeting on Saturday.

“I can see on his text messages he last checked phone at 1:42 p.m.,” the caller said.

“He has not looked at his phone since then. His battery is on — it’s ringing,” the caller added.

Andy Banks’ family is asking anyone who may have seen something to call police.

Police in Danville, Virginia said they are assisting Raleigh Police in the investigation into Andy Banks’ disappearance.

Andy Banks is a good friend of ours and this is absolutely devastating news. Cameron Village is a very nice area of town too.

It sounds like he met them and I imagine they went on a test drive for the vehicle and at that point they had him.

What is the incentive for a crime like this?
"I want what you have".

Questions:

How did AB get both the Beemer and the Land Rover over to that purported meeting location?

Did a friend drive one of the vehicles and AB the other?

If so, how did the person who drove the vehicle over to the gf's complex leave the area him/herself?

Was one of the vehicles already at his ex-gf's complex for some reason?

Was he letting the ex use the Land Rover until he sold it?

Questions:

How did AB get both the Beemer and the Land Rover over to that purported meeting location?

Did a friend drive one of the vehicles and AB the other?

If so, how did the person who drove the vehicle over to the gf's complex leave the area him/herself?

Was one of the vehicles already at his ex-gf's complex for some reason?

Was he letting the ex use the Land Rover until he sold it?
sounds like he had quite a few cars he would buy, fix up, and sell. May have just been one of the spots he parked them at.

A craigslist car sale ended in murder several years ago in my town. The act pure evil, a senseless crime. Police: Man murdered after suspects respond to Craigslist ad
I don't think this crime will make any sense. Mr. Andy is most likely a victim chosen completely at random by lowlife criminals. I hope this man is found today and this nightmare can be solved swiftly.
JMO

I want to kill the investigations into the Venmo transactions.

I spoke with someone involved with the transactions. They were sending Andy text messages, emails, whatsapp, venmo, and other sources as they had not located his phone yet. They were doing everything they could to try and get a response.

Both of the Venmo transactions were sent on good faith to locate Andy and to try and get some sort of a reply.

I want to kill the investigations into the Venmo transactions.

I spoke with someone involved with the transactions. They were sending Andy text messages, emails, whatsapp, venmo, and other sources as they had not located his phone yet. They were doing everything they could to try and get a response.

Both of the Venmo transactions were sent on good faith to locate Andy and to try and get some sort of a reply.

I agree, the venmo transactions don't have anything to do with it IMO

An important safety tip:

Any online transaction is best done by meeting at your local police dept. Someone nefarious will not want to meet there to transact. Many PDs in the burbs even have 1 or 2 dedicated parking spots, some with video monitoring, for people completing online buy/sales.

For a vehicle sale, do not go with the person. Take their license & take a picture of it, take a picture of them, make sure you have a picture of your vehicle, and let them take a test drive, if you feel comfortable. Always meet at the police dept, ask a cop to hang out nearby if you are alone and want another set of eyes.

I wish sellers and buyers would heed this advice. These cases keep happening. Several cases recently. A very sad one last year in Phoenix. The cases are usually solved and have a tragic end. One unsolved case, a good decade ago, a couple from Arizona set out to buy an expensive motorcycle. They nor their truck has ever been found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi8773
Back