GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m so very sorry for all of you - he clearly was a wonderful guy and should never have lost his life - this suspect should not have been on the streets IMO - perhaps an Andy’s Law because I’m furious this happened and I don’t even know Andy - my condolences to all of you

JMO
BBM-- You are reading my mind.
I thought the same exact thing.

we are so sorry for your loss @Raleigh80 - it is senseless. and evil.

I now will take even greater care when buying/selling via the online world. I may just stop altogether. sigh.

JMO
For me, it’s not worth the risk. I donate a lot of things that could probably sell. I worked In a DA’s program as a case manager providing services for children and their families. I was in situations where kids were in potentially unfit homes...there are some crazy a$$ people out there. I’d consider selling a vehicle through company such as Give Me The Vin and other items through a consignment shop, etc.

I wonder if LE has an accomplice already in custody without announcing it. Pretty positive JM would have had someone with him heading down to Raleigh. And JM was on the phone with someone for 20 minutes where body was found.

I barely knew him but he smiled at me one night many years ago in youth group. Then, he quietly said my name. I can still see it. I can still barely hear it. I don't remember why he smiled or uttered my name. I don't remember what it was about. Most upperclassmen ignored us little sister types, but Andy was kind to all.

I hadn't thought of that moment in many, many years until this past Sunday evening when my mom called and asked if I remembered Andy Banks.

Of course I remember sweet, kind Andy.

And now his sweet spirit shines even brighter, in a better place. His pain is over but those who knew him, regardless of how well, are just beginning to hurt. If you knew him at all, you know this is the world's loss.

I'm angry, but something tells me he wouldn't want me to be. So I'm going to try to be more like him. That's what I'm going to do.

And I'm going to remember his smile.

I wonder if LE has an accomplice already in custody without announcing it. Pretty positive JM would have had someone with him heading down to Raleigh. And JM was on the phone with someone for 20 minutes where body was found.

Yeah, it is hard to believe there was not an accomplice, as he surely didn't walk to Raleigh, and I doubt he took a Greyhound. Now, while unlikely, I suppose it is possible that it was an unknowing accomplice, but if that is the case, he should be singing like a songbird by now. I will say though, just because LE was able to triangulate his phone, he wasn't necessarily talking on it the whole time, if I understand the technology involved. When on, a smartphone is regularly pinging nearby towers, I believe, and anytime a smartphone receives a text message, or notification, or app update, it would also ping. If I am wrong, someone here with far more understanding than I have, will surely correct me.

Last edited:
I barely knew him but he smiled at me one night many years ago in youth group. Then, he quietly said my name. I can still see it. I can still barely hear it. I don't remember why he smiled or uttered my name. I don't remember what it was about. Most upperclassmen ignored us little sister types, but Andy was kind to all.

I hadn't thought of that moment in many, many years until this past Sunday evening when my mom called and asked if I remembered Andy Banks.

And now his sweet spirit shines even brighter, in a better place. His pain is over but those who knew him, regardless of how well, are just beginning to hurt. If you knew him at all, you know this is the world's loss.

I'm angry, but something tells me he wouldn't want me to be. So I'm going to try to be more like him. That's what I'm going to do.

What a wonderful tribute to Andy.
I am so sorry for your loss and to those that had the privilege of crossing paths with him in life and having him in their lives.

Oh, my, this just made me break down and cry. What a sweet and wonderful tribute to someone who must also have been sweet and wonderful.
The world is a little less now that he is gone, I'm afraid, but the heavens and the stars are much brighter.
Oh, my, what words you have written, @LostGirlNow.
Thank you.
And one more thing:

Welcome to Websleuths,
LostGirlNow !!

Is there a link regarding the 20 minute phone call? I just thought he spent 20 minutes at the site. Tia

Why do you believe his life didn't matter? I think he mattered to hundreds (and now many thousands) of people, and I think as more and more people learn about Andy and what a good person he was, that love and concern will grow. IMO
I don't think OP (@sloothseeker) meant that Andy's life didn't matter.
But more the fact, that to the murderer, Life didn't matter--he took a life and it doesn't matter to him (the murderer)
The P O S-- I hope he rots in he!!

I'm a friend of Andy's brother. Just so heartbroken over this case. Haven't been able to take my mind off of it since the start. This thread has been so good for me to see people who truly care about what happened to him and how it has affected his family. Thanks to all of you.
As I posted earlier, I knew Andy. I grew up with him in Gastonia, NC and he was a neighbor in Raleigh. I am new to websleuths and came to this site for updates. It is so nice to see strangers and friends so involved with this case in such a respectful way. This site/thread has been so supportive and kind. I am also so proud of LE in working this case so hard and helping his family find closure so fast.

Awe man, trying to catch up and see Andy has been found. Definitely not the outcome any of us hoped for, but hopefully the perp will pay dearly for this.

To all of Andy’s family and friends, may god comfort and carry you through these difficult times. He seemed like such a light in this world, but he will continue to shine on from above.

In defense of @sloothseeker, I don’t think they meant that Andy’s life didn’t matter, but that it wasn’t valued by his killer. Just my $.02. Clearly, he matters.

I agree @Tracey4AU. I took it the same way...that Andy's life didn't matter to the killer. It is very obvious that his life mattered. So many people loved him and only have the best things to say about him. He will be greatly missed by many.

Is there a link regarding the 20 minute phone call? I just thought he spent 20 minutes at the site. Tia

From the Chatham Star-Tribune....
'Investigators reportedly used geo-location to triangulate a cell phone involved in this case, and it pinged for 20 minutes around the local resident's property.'

My understanding of the technology is that there was not necessarily a 20-minute phone call. Many things could make the phone ping, I believe...including making or receiving a text message, any notifications, email program checking for updates, which normally may occur every 5 -15 minutes, any app data being received, etc. JMO

The body was found by Baxter and his team at 3800 Irish Road in Chatham.

The remains were found laying in the tall grass
It was Raleigh detectives who came up to our door, walking our farm," a local resident told the Star-Tribune. "They said they were looking for him [Banks] and asked if we saw his [2011 Range Rover] on Saturday."

This local resident owns the property searched today by Raleigh detectives. She reported seeing 30 Raleigh police units around her Beechnut Road property this morning.

"They said they would bring cadaver dogs by later when it stopped raining," the local resident continued. "But then they came by and said, 'Just wanted to let you know we found him, thank you.'"

Investigators reportedly used geo-location to triangulate a cell phone involved in this case, and it pinged for 20 minutes around the local resident's property.

Raleigh Police in conjunction with the Virginia DOT blocked off Route 703 by Beechnut Road this afternoon with flares sending warning smoke into the air.

Raleigh man's remains found in Chatham

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back