Found Deceased ND - Andrew Sadek, 20, Wahpeton, 1 May 2014 *alledged undercover drug informant*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And while we are on this subject, the same can be said for Tom Bearson's thread. <modsnip>

Again, this isn't Tom's thread. This is Andrew Sadek's. If your comment is directed at me, I haven't posted on Tom's in over a month.. All of MY posts are about the cases in which we are discussing and not about me personally. I feel that we owe it to the murder victim's to keep the threads strictly about them. No one cares about how I am feeling on any given day.

I am grateful that TAMMY SADEK has been successful in getting more LE brought in to investigate Andrew's death. Maybe we can finally get answers!

#justiceforandrewsadek

Things that make me go hmmm.

From MSN today:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...raises-doubts-on-drug-informer-use/ar-AAazsn5

"The attraction of cooperating with authorities is that it offers the chance to keep a felony off the record of a young person, said Wahpeton Police Chief Scott Thorsteinson.

Richland County Deputy Sheriff Jason Weber, now the interim task force supervisor, won't say whether Sadek was specifically told of the dangerous nature of the work he would be doing. The document that Sadek signed to become a confidential informant did not explicitly state the potential risks."

"It's just a charade when they do these things," Burton said of law enforcement agencies investigating one another.

"U.S. Justice Department guidelines state that authorities should consider the risk of harm to a potential l informant, but do not say that the person should be informed of the risks. North Dakota Attorney General's Office spokeswoman Liz Brocker declined to comment on any policies or procedures that might be in place for drug task forces in the state."

I just read the MSN article and had to come here....

*still shaking my head*

062715.N.FF_.SADEK_.4.jpg

Andrew Sadek&#8217;s parents find cause in his mystery death
Today at 6:00 a.m.

snipped
Tammy and John Sadek raise cattle on the green slopes above Lake Ashtabula. On their ranch, early summer days bring the hard work of cutting hay, a job their 20-year-old son, Andrew, used to help with.

&#8220;He was my right hand as far as getting chores done,&#8221; John Sadek said. &#8220;He was a good worker. Real good.&#8221;

It&#8217;s this memory of a son, who planned to carry the tradition of a ranch kept in the family since the 1930s, that makes this time of year hard to bear, despite crisp prairie skies and sun glittering on the dark blue lake.

Since losing their son, Tammy and John Sadek have taken a stand against police agencies using college students as informants. It&#8217;s a practice that continues on the NDSCS campus and around the country, but opponents believe it unnecessarily puts young people in danger and goes against the model for higher education.

"N.D. student's death raises questions about drug informants on college campuses"

http://www.startribune.com/n-d-student-s-death-raises-questions-about-drug-informants-on-college-campuses/317440111/

Tammy Sadek says police should stop using college students accused of nonviolent offenses to carry out undercover drug buys. Her son’s case has been compared to others in which young kids busted for minor drug offenses are told they can reduce their sentence if they help police catch others. The practice has been criticized by the American Civil Liberties Union and led to reforms in one state after an informant was murdered by those she was trying to help catch.

Authorities in North Dakota said Sadek was an adult who knew what he was doing when he chose informant work. A review of how the task force handled Sadek didn’t find wrongdoing.

But a year later, the case remains unsolved* — with no official determination of suicide or homicide.

ows_143735663374077.jpg

There is a lengthy article in today's Fargo Forum about Andrew. The video between Andrew and the detective is also available. I read the article but haven't been able to view the video yet. The whole thing makes me sick.

http://www.wday.com/news/north-dakota/3809635-video-released-secret-meeting-between-andrew-sadek-and-drug-task-force

The 25 minute meeting is from the day when Sadek agreed to become a confidential informant for the Bureau of Criminal Investigation.
With the possibility of 40 years in jail and a $40,000 fine from selling 3.3 grams of pot, Andrew Sadek willingly sat down with a narcotics detective to try and resolve his criminal past.
Officer, "Have a seat over there."
November 22nd, 2013. Andrew's birthday.
Officer, "It's your birthday today. Probably not what you want to be doing on your birthday, huh?"
It's the day he day he agreed to work for the BCI.
Officer, "Faster we can get it cleared up, faster you can get it cleared up, do you understand?"
Andrew Sadek, " I Understand."
The officer and Andrew talk about how he'll go about clearing his felonies by buying drugs from area dealers.
Officer, "You're going to have to do two deals on, per individual, and then we're gonna be looking at probably, you know, three or four individuals that you're gonna have to do."
They get into the details. Andrew even drawing a map where a drug dealer he knows lives.
Officer, "Can you buy anything other than marijuana? Not saying it's for you, but could you go say it's for a buddy?"
Sadek, "I can try."
The whole meeting kept secret. Just like his job as an informant.

A Fargo judge is bringing new attention to the death of a NDSCS student.

In his most recent opinion column The Verdict, Tom Davies says he believes Andrew Sadek's murderer is still out there. After being caught selling marijuana to a confidential informant on campus, Sadek agreed to cooperate in an undercover investigation with other dealers to avoid jail time.

http://www.wday.com/news/3895857-judge-tom-davies-believes-andrew-sadeks-murderer-still-loose

http://www.unheralded.fish/2015/12/...answered-questions-in-death-of-ndscs-student/

There is a special report tonight on 60 Minutes about LE using college kids as undercover informants and those getting killed because of it. I wish Andrew's story would be told. We should all contact the 60 minutes producers to get his case the attention it needs.

JMO's

ETA: They ARE telling Andrew's story. Showing video of them talking him into to CI deal. When I find a link to the show I will post it.

There is a special report tonight on 60 Minutes about LE using college kids as undercover informants and those getting killed because of it. I wish Andrew's story would be told. We should all contact the 60 minutes producers to get his case the attention it needs.

JMO's

ETA: They ARE telling Andrew's story. Showing video of them talking him into to CI deal. When I find a link to the show I will post it.

The 60 Minutes (double) episode was a wake up call for all kids in college. Here's your link jggordo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/confidential-informants-60-minutes-lesley-stahl/

Bismarck Rep. Rick Becker said he plans to introduce reforms in 2017 modeled after Rachel's Law in Florida and a failed attempt this year to strengthen it. It requires police to tell potential informants that they can't promise them immunity or reduced charges or sentences for participating. Authorities also must give them the opportunity to talk to an attorney before they agree to participate and establish policies and procedures for assessing suitability based on several factors, including age and maturity.

Rep. Gail Mooney, D-Cummings, said she's also crafting legislation that she believes should at least require an attorney to be present when police ask a young adult to be a confidential informant. Mooney said she isn't set on an age range but thinks it should apply to 18- to 21-year-olds who may not have the life experiences or expertise necessary to make such a decision.

http://www.inforum.com/news/3900031...or-candidate-wants-change-drug-informant-laws

The 60 Minutes (double) episode was a wake up call for all kids in college. Here's your link jggordo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/confidential-informants-60-minutes-lesley-stahl/

I think about this case a lot. I live in a College town. The neighboring house was for rent. All rents are jacked up very high to be used college student housing $500-$1000 per bedroom per month. A MOTHER and her daughter rented the whole 4 BR house. I spoke to the mother and she said it is no longer safe to send your kid off to college on their own. The father and younger daughter stayed at home and come to visit on weekends a lot.

jmo's

Family of dead drug informant asks for federal investigation
Attorneys for the family of a North Dakota college student who was a confidential informant for a drug task force before he turned up dead said Friday that they're not getting information from authorities and want a federal investigation.

(...)

Family members don't believe Sadek killed himself and are frustrated about the investigation, which is now in the hands of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. An attorney for the Sadeks, Lance Block, said the BCA has virtually cut off communication with Sadek's parents, John and Tammy. They want a federal investigation.

"The Minnesota agency has not been able to come up with any answers," Block said. "There has been no effort to update the family and frankly they've lost confidence in the integrity of the investigation. They need to know the truth about how their son died."

(...)

"The primary focus here is closure for the family. But beyond that there are public policy and public safety implications," said attorney Tatum O'Brien, of Fargo, whose clients include people recruited to be confidential informants. "It's the sheer amount of college students, mainly, and other young people who are recruited to do this very dangerous work. If that's the reason that Andrew Sadek is no longer with is, we need to know what happened here."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/family-of-dead-drug-informant-asks-for-federal-investigation/

This situation is, in a way, kind of like gay marriage and the recent Supreme Court ruling about it.

There are now states that allow "recreational" marijuana use. There are even more states that allow "medicinal" marijuana usage. But there are plenty that still outlaw its use entirely. That's kind of like different states treating marriage differently. Possession of marijuana can be a big deal in one locale and "nothing at all" a few miles away across the state line.

This guy was more than likely killed because he felt it necessary (to keep it off his record, etc) to "snitch" because he got caught with some weed. Were he in a different state, he possibly wouldn't have felt the pressure to put himself in any kind of danger to avoid a charge or get one reduced.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SidewardsDog
Back