ND - Several bodies found at Mandan business, 1 April 2019 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For all we know, it could be something unrelated to the business - maybe they are on the same bowling league and there was a dispute with a score. I'm not suggesting that is actually the case, but that perhaps it's something we're not even considering.

What did this guy do besides be a chiropractor. Hobbies? Clubs? Church? Anything?

jmo

You know, I have thought of things like that. I thought of some kind of business club, they both owned businesses, however, they were in different towns/cities.

What if he wanted to move a practice to Mandan and maybe one of the employees at RJR was on the city council and shut it down? This is purely speculation and I do not think it is likely, just saying such a thought has crossed my mind.

Maybe his dog bit someone or barked incessantly when he was gone and a neighbor complained more than once? Again, I don't think so but there never is a reason to explain doing something so horrendous to four people so who knows what set him off?

We certainly know nothing of his activities, friends, family--it has been pretty silent on that front.

My first thought though is still past due rent/eviction/raised rent/financial. It simply seems the most likely.

I keep coming back to April 1st. Was something going to happen on April 1st?

jmo though.

You know, I have thought of things like that. I thought of some kind of business club, they both owned businesses, however, they were in different towns/cities.

What if he wanted to move a practice to Mandan and maybe one of the employees at RJR was on the city council and shut it down? This is purely speculation and I do not think it is likely, just saying such a thought has crossed my mind.

Maybe his dog bit someone or barked incessantly when he was gone and a neighbor complained more than once? Again, I don't think so but there never is a reason to explain doing something so horrendous to four people so who knows what set him off?

We certainly know nothing of his activities, friends, family--it has been pretty silent on that front.

My first thought though is still past due rent/eviction/raised rent/financial. It simply seems the most likely.

I keep coming back to April 1st. Was something going to happen on April 1st?

jmo though.
I've wondered if there was a problem with his dog too. We've heard he was a loner and odd. If he was really attached to his dog, he might have lost it if RJR made demands over his dog IMO.

Another thought in regards to the first of the month, what if a neighbor he was fond of was going to be evicted? I know most people wouldn't kill 4 people over a friend's eviction but who knows what set him off? Whatever it was, in his mind it justified killing them.

I've wondered if there was a problem with his dog too. We've heard he was a loner and odd. If he was really attached to his dog, he might have lost it if RJR made demands over his dog IMO.

Another thought in regards to the first of the month, what if a neighbor he was fond of was going to be evicted? I know most people wouldn't kill 4 people over a friend's eviction but who knows what set him off? Whatever it was, in his mind it justified killing them.

Yep and all relate to RJR which it does seem will be the connection.

With regard to the dog, people get really attached as you say and just like a child will get very upset over any threat to a pet.

I know of people who were allowed to have a dog when not supposed to be allowed OR they brought one in after renting, for instance, and when it became a problem were told it had to go or they had to move and other neighbors complaining can cause that as can other things.

He seems to have been a loner(?) and the dog probably matters a great deal to him. I believe the officer said he would see him in his truck with the dog riding along.

It is a thought, I agree.

Good point. And that does give some weight, imo, to injustice collector - if he didn't have people in his life to offer perspective to the things that made him angry, he perhaps sat at home and stewed and stewed over injustices. Maybe he didn't have anyone to blow off steam with in sports or someone to say, "Hey, that's a bummer but let it go, man." YKWIM?

jmo
Injustice collectors usually don’t have many friends. Most are dropped after committing the inevitable (perceived) injustice.

Mobile homes can be moved , but are usually left stationary after the purchaser places it on their land. If renting ot sometimes buying in an established park -- the home stays on a permanent basis.

An (RV) recreational vehicle is used for camping and the owner parks it somewhere on their land. If renting in a park-- you might pay a fee to store it on the trailer parks' property.

Slightly off topic, but yes, mobile homes are not really mobile. In fact, their name comes from the city of the same name, and not because of their mobility. I'm from Mobile but didn't know this until recently:

FACT CHECK: Mobile Home Origin

The article also confirms the same distinction you made in your post re the difference between an RV and a "Mobile" home.

I think this too. What if the Injustice wasn't towards him? But towards someone he cared about? I know this is far out there. But what if he felt he was defending the defenseless and the the offense wasn't related to the business but one of the victims? That might explain why he seemed so calm at the hearing, thinking he's a hero for defending someone else, in his eyes, but he would either think the public would think him a hero too or he felt the Injustice was so bad that he was willing to give up his freedom and way of life for it?

All moo and speculation

If he was willing to give up his freedom for it, then he would not have tried to disguise himself.

Attachments

• MH 1.JPG
    MH 1.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 59
  • MH 2.JPG
    MH 2.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 57
His mobile home appears to be permanently installed on foundations. It also looks like he has a storage shed (which is more visible in the video).

View attachment 179377 View attachment 179378

KFYR-TV

While looking for the above, I found a fascinating article on US trailer parks.

America's trailer parks: the residents may be poor but the owners are getting rich
Thanks for the link! Snip from the article:

“Raising the rent is typically part of the day one purchase, because often the ‘mom and pop’ [previous, family-run owner of a park] has not raised the rent in years so it’s far below market.

“[The rents] do not go down, that’s one thing that’s a safe bet in the trailer park world. Our rents do not go down.

“We traditionally raise our rents by an average of 10% a year or something like that, and it’s pretty much true for the industry. Our world record [rent increase] went from $125 to $275 in one month.”

:rolleyes: that would likely drive someone into a murderous rage one day....

Another thing impacting the cost of living in ND of course was the oil field boom. I cannot speak to that industry, but let me tell you how it impacted nurses.

ND had a major nursing shortage which paralleled the oil boom. While new graduate nurses in urban, warm-weather climates (Southern California in particular) could not find jobs for up to 18-24 months post licensure, ND was offering well-paying jobs to these folks with just a phone interview. As in phone interview> start next week!

The issue (besides the weather) became housing. There was an acute housing shortage.
I participate in an online nursing forum (much like WS) of over 1 million members. The stories of new grads living in garage 'apartments', two and three to an apartment at CRAZY rents, were rampant.

I'm not at all sure that the rabbit trail we've gone down about CI's motive has anything to do with his living arrangements, but if it does- perhaps this provides a bit of insight.

If he was willing to give up his freedom for it, then he would not have tried to disguise himself.

That is a good point. Between disguise, changing clothes or reversing or covering them and parking his truck elsewhere, he naively or stupidly thought he would not be caught. Yet he made so many mistakes.

Reportedly, the mobile park had a new owner 2018.

Narrative of the of Northview Estates RV & Mobile Home Park as provided in earlier for sale advertisement.

Also, prior owner reported CI owned and brought his mobile to the lot, renting mobile lot space only. At time of sale, this applied to all except two lots that housed park owned models. MOO

Property Description

SHARPENED PRICE! OWNERS READY FOR NEW VENTURES AND ARE OFFERING A HIGHLY PROFITABLE and well maintained 10.9 acre, 53 lot mobile home (35 lots) and RV park (18 lots) located in Washburn, ND one block off US Highway 83, a four lane corridor with a traffic count of over 7,400 vehicles per day in 2015. Washburn, ND, County Seat of McLean County, is situated 40 miles north of Bismarck, ND, the state capitol, and 70 miles south of Minot, ND.

Northview Estates Mobile Home and RV Park's tenant base consists of 25 mobile homes, including two park owned models, and RV guests. The park's profitability is partially from stable mobile home tenants, and RV guests, a large percentage of whom return annually for extended stay periods while working the area. RV guests include power plant outage workforce personnel, construction crews, custom harvesters, government personnel, and tourists.

During peak RV season, March-October, the park is typically 100% filled and mobile home 'overflow' lots are rented to RVers. A handul of RVers stay year around. In 2015, RV income accounted for 55% of the park's gross annual income and the owners anticipate continuing demand for RV accommodations in the future. Combined annual income from mobile home lot and RV lot rental exceeds 100% occupancy return that 52 lots rented at $225 per month would yield.
Northview Estates RV & Mobile Home Park - Mobile Home Parks for Sale in Washburn, ND

Reportedly, the mobile park had a new owner 2018.

Narrative of the of Northview Estates RV & Mobile Home Park as provided in earlier for sale advertisement.

Also, prior owner reported CI owned and brought his mobile to the lot, renting mobile lot space only. At time of sale, this applied to all except two lots that housed park owned models. MOO

Property Description

SHARPENED PRICE! OWNERS READY FOR NEW VENTURES AND ARE OFFERING A HIGHLY PROFITABLE and well maintained 10.9 acre, 53 lot mobile home (35 lots) and RV park (18 lots) located in Washburn, ND one block off US Highway 83, a four lane corridor with a traffic count of over 7,400 vehicles per day in 2015. Washburn, ND, County Seat of McLean County, is situated 40 miles north of Bismarck, ND, the state capitol, and 70 miles south of Minot, ND.

Northview Estates Mobile Home and RV Park's tenant base consists of 25 mobile homes, including two park owned models, and RV guests. The park's profitability is partially from stable mobile home tenants, and RV guests, a large percentage of whom return annually for extended stay periods while working the area. RV guests include power plant outage workforce personnel, construction crews, custom harvesters, government personnel, and tourists.

During peak RV season, March-October, the park is typically 100% filled and mobile home 'overflow' lots are rented to RVers. A handul of RVers stay year around. In 2015, RV income accounted for 55% of the park's gross annual income and the owners anticipate continuing demand for RV accommodations in the future. Combined annual income from mobile home lot and RV lot rental exceeds 100% occupancy return that 52 lots rented at $225 per month would yield.
Northview Estates RV & Mobile Home Park - Mobile Home Parks for Sale in Washburn, ND

$225 is pretty reasonable these days for lot rent so I think it would take a pretty big increase for that to be a motive. That moves that possibility towards the bottom of the list for me at least.

Thanks for posting this.

The rent is cheap and he could easily make that kind of money in a month.

How does one keep an RV warm in that horrendous cold. There certainly is not good insulation in an RV.

I wonder how much his heat cost

I guess $225 rent was in 2018 when the park was for sale.

According to the Guardian article above, as alleged by some, new park owners tend to raise rent by a large extent in the first year.

The other residents there don't seem to be complaining, but they aren't "injustice collectors" I suppose.

MOO

Could he be representing himself??

Wild guessing...I have no idea.

jmo

I was distracted the day his initial court appearance aired so I just went back and watched it. I certainly could not imagine that man representing himself. It was all he could do to stay awake. Wow.

At about the 14:02 mark you can hear Mr Quick leaned over talking to CI & he says what sounds like, “we’ll get in touch with that other attorney for you.” Not sure what that’s all about either. And on a side note, man it took guts for his lawyer to ask for $100,000 cash bond. It really did.

And on an even further side note, no idea why this popped in my head, but does anyone else find it odd that all 4 of the victims were creamated?!?

We have a very, very large family & I have been to a lot of funerals in my life. I’ve lost a few friends over the last couple years as well, but out of all of those, I’ve yet to attend a service for anyone who chose cremation. Those were of course all deaths by natural cause though. Then again my friend’s teenage son was murdered in March & they didn’t go the cremation route either....open casket even. It’s just striking me odd that all four families chose cremation.....

I was distracted the day his initial court appearance aired so I just went back and watched it. I certainly could not imagine that man representing himself. It was all he could do to stay awake. Wow.

At about the 14:02 mark you can hear Mr Quick leaned over talking to CI & he says what sounds like, “we’ll get in touch with that other attorney for you.” Not sure what that’s all about either. And on a side note, man it took guts for his lawyer to ask for $100,000 cash bond. It really did.

And on an even further side note, no idea why this popped in my head, but does anyone else find it odd that all 4 of the victims were creamated?!?

We have a very, very large family & I have been to a lot of funerals in my life. I’ve lost a few friends over the last couple years as well, but out of all of those, I’ve yet to attend a service for anyone who chose cremation. Those were of course all deaths by natural cause though. Then again my friend’s teenage son was murdered in March & they didn’t go the cremation route either....open casket even. It’s just striking me odd that all four families chose cremation.....

Hi, maybe it's different parts of the country. I live on the east coast and everyone I know, family and friends, has been cremated. And, they number quite a few, and most had made this decision prior to being deceased. Actually, where I am from, and also where I live in Florida, they are encouraging cremation, as they are running out of burial space. The Catholic Church used to be against cremation, but now it is perfectly okay to do, and in fact, the priest I know has encouraged it, as well. All JMO. Thanks, one and all. Katt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fruit