NE - 5-year-old dies after being left in car for hours. Foster-mom Juanita Pinon, 40, arrested, Omaha, July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

ChatteringBirds

Reaction score

"Child Death Investigation 07/10/2024"

A 5-year-old boy died after being left in a hot car in Omaha, Nebraska, for about seven hours, authorities said.

How did she qualify to be a foster mother?

The article also says she did not give a statement to LE.

Sorry for the awful headline, but what a gorgeous child.

It claims the foster mother (JP) had 5 children in her care, despite a criminal history. It also claims she did not check on Dionicio the entire day while she was in the "office."

“Pinon, who has a previous criminal history, faces up to 20 years in prison for child abuse by neglect, resulting in death. Omaha police said she has five other children in her care.”

“Perez's biological father, Pablo Lopez, along with his stepmother, Jenny, said they pursued custody, but the state assured them Perez was in good hands.”

“Pablo is currently working to get custody of Perez's twin sister.”

Is Juanita the one who currently has custody of his sister?? Not that she will for much longer, but I wonder where the little girl is now.

And where were the other five kids when this happened?

Last edited:
Another hot car death -- so preventable.
Take the child with you wherever you are going, or leave the child with a relative or trusted neighbor.
A 5-year-old should not be that big a problem to handle -- if the child is not, then leave the child with a grown and dependable parent, relative, sitter, spouse, or dependable next-door neighbor.
How many times does "just going in for 5 minutes" turn into 15, 30, 60 minutes, etc.?

I hate to say that one of these hot car deaths could possibly be better or worse than another . . . But at least it seems the other kids we’ve been reading about were loved.

It feels like Dionicio may have been utterly uncared for and alone — throughout his short life and up until his last moments.

I hope he gets justice. And I hope his sister is in safe, gentle hands, and can grow and heal in a healthy, loving environment.

Last edited:
It seems she went to a job or similar and just left him in the car alone all day to fend for himself, IMO.
I feel sad for the other parents of these forgotten kids. But I feel nothing but rage and contempt when I think of this woman or look at her mugshot.

SEVEN hours. And she KNEW.

Can an average 5 yr old get out of a car on their own?
I am wondering if the child may have been deliberately locked in.

With child restraints, and probably child locks on the back doors, I wouldn't say no, because there are little Houdinis out there, but it would be challenging.

And if the kid was asleep, then the affects of heat stroke could set in while they were unconscious.

MOO

Aside from the good points iamShadow makes, I'd add that even if the average 5yo could get out on their own, that doesn't help the non-average who can't. a parent should know their own child well enough to know if they could! But certain parents obviously can't or don't care as we see here on the forum, MOO.

I got stuck in an unlocked car as a 6yo because I somehow got in a panic about opening the door and then it didn't work. I had even asked if I could stay in there an extra 5 mins on my own. Of course, my parents came to see why I was still there after 5-10 mins. So no harm done. That was decades ago, long before booster seats, child restraints etc. An average 6yo would not have panicked and would have got out on their own - but in that instance I was not average.
Even if a child can normally do something on their own or in the eyes of the parents 'ought' to be able to, it doesn't follow that the child will always be able to!! One of the reasons you don't leave children on their own at all in certain situations or only for a short time in other situations. Certainly not for 7 hours!!

Aren't there laws in the US about minimum age for leaving a child on their own? Or by individual state anyway.
It's possible. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xtension
Back