NE NE - Battle Creek, UnkSex/Race Adolescent, UP61736, bones along Elkhorn River, Nov'19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Romulus

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

A family was walking along the Elkhorn River in rural Madison County and found a human skull on the edge of the water partially covered in sand. Other bone fragments were found in the area which may or may not be human. This area had been in the middle of the river channel until recently when the area flooded and the river changed course.

Estimated Age Group: Adolescent

Poor boy or girl :(
According to the UNT assessment it is believed the skull belonged to an individual 20-60 years of age.

"1.Cannot exclude medicolegal significance of the submitted partial human cranium:
a.Likely an adult (20-60 year old) human (possibly male but final determination to be made after molecular testing) of undetermined ancestry and stature.
b.Other descriptive features: no individuating features are observed on the present remains. Note: Possible database associations with individuals falling somewhat outside of these estimations should not be excluded without further investigation.

2.There are no indications of perimortem skeletal trauma on the submitted remains.

3.Selected skeletal samples for DNA analysis: sections of the frontal and right parietal.

Disclaimer, I have not done extensive research into this disappearance. This is my assessment of a cursory look at the circumstances of both cases.
It's a stretch but 76 year old Frank Oliva Sr was last seen July 28th, 1973 in Wilbur, NE about an hour drive from Battle Creek. His wife and their vehicle are also missing, and we know that when a person is missing and their vehicle is not recovered, both are often in a body of water. It is believed that he possibly drove his vehicle into a water filled sandpit with his wife in a double suicide due to her declining health. Law Enforcement extensively searched sand pits in the area after the disappearance and did not locate anything of significance. It is noted that they had ties to Western, Nebraska which is about 2 hours south of Battle Creek. I think it's unlikely but possible that he could have driven into the Elkhorn River. I believe that he should be excluded as a possible match.

NAMUS
Charley Project

Disclaimer, I have not done extensive research into this disappearance. This is my assessment of a cursory look at the circumstances of both cases.
It's a stretch but 76 year old Frank Oliva Sr was last seen July 28th, 1973 in Wilbur, NE about an hour drive from Battle Creek. His wife and their vehicle are also missing, and we know that when a person is missing and their vehicle is not recovered, both are often in a body of water. It is believed that he possibly drove his vehicle into a water filled sandpit with his wife in a double suicide due to her declining health. Law Enforcement extensively searched sand pits in the area after the disappearance and did not locate anything of significance. It is noted that they had ties to Western, Nebraska which is about 2 hours south of Battle Creek. I think it's unlikely but possible that he could have driven into the Elkhorn River. I believe that he should be excluded as a possible match.

NAMUS
Charley Project
I was mistaken that they went missing from Wilbur, NE. They actually went missing from Wilber, NE which is south of Battle Creek near Western. I no longer think this is a possibility of a match.

Unidentified Person/NamUs #UP61736
Unsure, Uncertain
Date Body Found: November 9, 2019
Location Found: Battle Creek, Nebraska

Estimated Age Range--
stimated Age Group: Adolescent
Estimated Age Range (Years)--
Estimated Year of Death--
Estimated PMI--
Height: Cannot Estimate
Weight: Cannot Estimate

Circumstances

Location Found Map

LocationBattle Creek, Nebraska 68715

County: Madison County

GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)42.040488, -97.677375
Found On Tribal Land: No

Circumstances of Recovery: A family was walking along the Elkhorn River in rural Madison County and found a human skull on the edge of the water partially covered in sand. Other bone fragments were found in the area which may or may not be human.This area had been in the middle of the river channel until recently when the area flooded and the river changed course.

Got a response from UNTCHI this morning that they cannot release any information on any case, so unknown if molecular analysis revealed any further information

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist
Back