NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JUL 16, 2019
Moorcroft man still missing
On July 6, at around 7:30 p.m., Chance Englebert left a residence in Gering, Neb. on foot. He was last seen on a business surveillance video time-stamped 7:51 p.m. near 10th Street and Martha Drive in Gering. This was the last known physical location. Search agencies did receive a ping on his cell phone from the vicinity of the WTT Truck Stop around 10 p.m.

Chance was raised in the Edgemont, S.D. area, and most recently resided in Moorcroft, Wyo. He worked at the Belle Ayr mine until the recent Blackjewel LLC layoff, but did have a new job lined up in Moorcroft that he was to start on July 8.

[...]

JUL 16, 2019
Man reported missing in Nebraska may be in Wyoming - Casper,WY Oil City News
[...]

A Casper citizen says she thinks she saw Chance Englebert at the East Side Walmart at about 6 pm on Friday, July 12 and told the Gering Police Department

Gering PD Officer Shawn West said that Walmart was rechecking their video surveillance from Friday to try to confirm whether it was Englebert.

[...]

Englebert was reported to have gotten into an argument with his family on July 6, according to West. He was last seen leaving the home on foot at about 7:30 pm.

West said that Englebert apparently told friends he was walking in a ditch toward Torrington and told friends that he wanted them to come pick him up.

Due to a major thunderstorm on Friday evening, West said that police thought it important to help locate Englebert due to concerns about his safety.

[...]

West said that Englebert’s mother told them he had been clean-shaven when he left and that his facial hair tends to grow slowly, so some of the reports were able to be ruled out on this basis.

West said that they still want people to pay attention to the clothing Englebert was wearing in the far left photo of the following poster:

66706960_838350563208193_3560317250302902272_n.jpg

While police know he may have changed his clothing by now, there is still a chance he could be seen wearing those.

[...]
Wonder if his friends made it to the area where CE said he was and what they say about what may have happened.

It's a good sign that he called someone to pick him up. I hope he had some cash with him and he's just getting his head together.

Wonder if his friends made it to the area where CE said he was and what they say about what may have happened.

It's a good sign that he called someone to pick him up. I hope he had some cash with him and he's just getting his head together.
I hope so too. It's odd that the story just seems to end there, sort of...we then hear about the storm... So, I have the same question you do. Did his friends pick him up or not? :confused: MOO

Due to a major thunderstorm on Friday evening, West said that police thought it important to help locate Englebert due to concerns about his safety.

West said the rains that night were heavy and cold, meaning that in addition to lightning concerns, police were worried that Englebert may have gotten hypothermia. He added that there is also concern when people are out alone in rural areas during storms of slipping into rivers and streams.

I hope so too. It's odd that the story just seems to end there, sort of...we then hear about the storm... So, I have the same question you do. Did his friends pick him up or not? :confused: MOO

West said the rains that night were heavy and cold, meaning that in addition to lightning concerns, police were worried that Englebert may have gotten hypothermia. He added that there is also concern when people are out alone in rural areas during storms of slipping into rivers and streams.
Yes, they made mention of him walking in a ditch. Wonder if the storm was bad enough that there was flash flooding. If so, you'd think maybe they could pinpoint where he was and where the water flowed. And hypothermia? I don't see it.

JUL 16, 2019
Man reported missing in Nebraska may be in Wyoming - Casper,WY Oil City News
[...]

A Casper citizen says she thinks she saw Chance Englebert at the East Side Walmart at about 6 pm on Friday, July 12 and told the Gering Police Department

Gering PD Officer Shawn West said that Walmart was rechecking their video surveillance from Friday to try to confirm whether it was Englebert.

[...]

Englebert was reported to have gotten into an argument with his family on July 6, according to West. He was last seen leaving the home on foot at about 7:30 pm.

West said that Englebert apparently told friends he was walking in a ditch toward Torrington and told friends that he wanted them to come pick him up.

[...]

West said that Englebert’s mother told them he had been clean-shaven when he left and that his facial hair tends to grow slowly, so some of the reports were able to be ruled out on this basis.

West said that they still want people to pay attention to the clothing Englebert was wearing in the far left photo of the following poster:

66706960_838350563208193_3560317250302902272_n.jpg

While police know he may have changed his clothing by now, there is still a chance he could be seen wearing those.

[...]

This info about the friends could kind of go with an earlier post (#14) I made where I bolded an MSM statement that some people have told family members they may have information but don't want to be involved.

I sure hope someone's just letting him lay low for now.

This info about the friends could kind of go with an earlier post (#14) I made where I bolded an MSM statement that some people have told family members they may have information but don't want to be involved.

I sure hope someone's just letting him lay low for now.
I remember that. And, it could also go along with LE's request for anyone who gave him a ride to contact them. Then there's also the woman who saw him standing under a tree between 9 and 10 p.m. Gosh, this is all so puzzling. MOO

Looking at this again after revisions...

Saturday, July 6
7:30 p.m. - CE left residence in the 700 block of O Street
7:49 p.m. - Seen walking past Domino’s Pizza in Gering heading toward Scottsbluff
7:51 p.m. - Last seen on video at the intersection of 10th St and Martha Dr
8:45 p.m. - Last time friends or family members spoke to him
9-9:15 p.m. - Significant thunderstorm struck
9-10:00 p.m. –Seen near Terrytown standing under a tree during the storm
10:00 p.m. - Phone pinged in the vicinity of Owl Road, south of the Western Travel Terminal convenience store

1. Do we know long the thunderstorm lasted?
2. Did LE ever mention the person who saw CE standing under a tree?

Walking in a ditch + thunderstorm = Flash Flood to me. The water table is extremely high in NE right now, flash floods would happen quick. I'm sure police have thought the same and hopefully are looking for possible areas he could have been taken by fast moving water if that is what happened.

I sure hope he is found ok. My son is 25 and this hurts my heart.

Walking in a ditch + thunderstorm = Flash Flood to me. The water table is extremely high in NE right now, flash floods would happen quick. I'm sure police have thought the same and hopefully are looking for possible areas he could have been taken by fast moving water if that is what happened.

I sure hope he is found ok. My son is 25 and this hurts my heart.
There was a Flash Flood Warning that had been issued in the area that expired at 1 AM on July 7th. So, it is quite possible.
US National Weather Service Cheyenne Wyoming

As near as I can tell all the drainage (ditches, streams) empties to the North Platte River. Unless he is hung up on underwater debris he should be somewhere along the banks or islands or even as far as the large lake in the Ogallala area if he ended up in the water. It is doubtful he is beyond the dam just due to its configuration but if that occurred there is another lake on the other side of the dam because there is a second dam just below the first one. If he ended up in the water and is not caught in underwater debris his body should resurface soon.

If he attempted to cross here, for example, he most likely wouldn't make it.
Google Maps

A Casper resident had reported seeing Englebert at Casper’s east side Walmart at about 6 pm, Friday, July 12.

...But West said on Wednesday, July 17 that Walmart had reviewed more than six hours of video surveillance footage and were unable to identify Englebert’s encounter with the woman who reported it. ...

Walmart video unable to confirm missing man sighting in Casper - Casper,WY Oil City News
It's good to hear that people are calling in tips. Hopefully, one of them will pan out soon.

It's interesting that there have been other sightings reported in Casper on July 11, especially the one related to a hitchhiker.

I sure hope he's okay but it's troubling to hear that he hasn't made any financial transactions. MOO

JUL 17, 2019
Police continue to follow tips as Wyoming man Chance Englebert remains missing
[...]

“Our last known recorded sighting of Chance remains on Martha Road and 10th Street (at about 7:51 p.m. on July 6),” he said. “We have had a sighting of him reported by a witness who saw him on the south side of Terry’s Lake a few minutes after.”

West clarified reports that the last known activity from Englebert’s cell phone. Initial reports were that cell phone data shows his phone as last being in the vicinity of Owl Road, south of Western Travel Terminal. However, he said the data comes from an arc that is a couple of miles long, covering an area encompassing Scotts Bluff National Monument property in Gering to West 25th Street in Scottsbluff.

During searches last week, he said authorities searched the remote areas and bodies of water, like the North Platte River, in case Engelbert was in those areas. In residential areas, he said, it would be likely that people living in those areas would have seen Englebert, if he were there. Searches in residential areas were to see if they could locate items belonging to Englebert, such as a cell phone.

[...]

“We have done a lot of checking,” he said. “We have contacted people who we thought could have had contact with him, verified accounts, and there has been no contact between him and anyone else that we know of.”

[...]

“If you see something, don’t wait to call,” he said. “We have had instances where people have debated calling police for hours and it just makes it a little more difficult to verify that information.”

Here is a chart of the North Platte River depth from the last week:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 06680500 North Platte River at Scottsbluff, Nebr.

View attachment 193235

I don't know this river, so I have no idea how dangerous almost 7 feet would be. Are there strong currents in this river? Is the water extremely cold?
Yes it would be running pretty fast in some areas. We've been having a lot of rainfall. So we figured if he fell in the river, he would have floated long downstream by the time they searched the river :(

Bears or other wild animals nearby? wolves attack?
are there sidewalks, or lanes where someone can walk away from the road? hit and run?
was he feeling overwhelmed by new baby? dads get postpartum depression too.
The family was wondering about a hit and run too. We do once in awhile have mountain lion sightings in town. Maybe a coyote. But no wolves or anything around here. They have a search party out as we speak. Well several search parties. I wanted to attend but couldn't .

JUL 19. 2019
Moorcroft man still missing two weeks later
[...]

Chance’s wife Baylee said Friday morning that the family has taken over the search while law enforcement has dedicated time to investigating where Chance could be by reviewing his credit card and phone records.

[...]

Baylee added that after talking to some members of the search parties that helped look last week, the family realized some heavily wooded parts weren’t search thoroughly enough.

Now the family is looking through those areas and hope more help is on the way. Baylee said they have a crew of about 30 searching Friday, and some of Chance’s family from South Dakota is planning to come down and help.

She thinks there could be 100 people helping over the weekend and hopes to have people bring horses and four-wheelers to cover more ground.

[...]

Baylee said that when Chance gets upset he’ll sometimes take a walk around the block to cool off.

Capt. Jason Rogers with the Gering Police Department said the last confirmed sighting of Chance was at 7:49 p.m. that night when a woman saw him walking past a Domino’s Pizza restaurant in Gering heading toward Scottsbluff.

Baylee said she got word that someone last saw Chance between 9 and 10 p.m. near the small town of Terrytown standing under a tree during a storm.

When the storm passed, the woman said she saw him run toward the North Platte River over a bridge.

Answers elusive about missing Edgemont man

Since his disappearance and throughout the week of July 7, several different agencies and hundreds of people worked to search for Chance in the greater Gering and Scottsbluff area. The efforts included canine search, drones, fly-overs and waterway resources over hundreds of miles on the ground and in the air.

Due to the lack of leads in the active search phase, law enforcement late last week transitioned to a phase focusing more on investigation. Chief George Holthus of the Gering Police Department, indicated that there would be more in-depth investigation into cell phone records, interviews with family and friends and reviewing of financial records.

Thanks to donations by several area friends, family and businesses, the reward for information leading to Chance’s safe return has now grown to $10,000.

Ok, please forgive me. Sincerely. But I need help... please someone tell me what is above the baby's knee in front of the grey blanket. And then I can continue to help sleuth this man's case.

Btw- the photo the day he went missing, he looks very young! Especially compared to the other photos. I wonder which one most looks like him.
Okay, you should be putting a warning before your posts...." this could be harmful to your health"... I, too, sprayed every last drop of my Coke in my mouth on the wall and floor. My cheeks are painful from laughing hysterically!
I have now regained my composure and will give my thoughts on that unidentified object near the babies knee.... it is the mom's thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState