DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

For all Campaign for Missing Volunteers and other interested persons:

Media Alert: CNN American Morning for Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 8:40AM EST

Wednesday morning our friends Doug and Mary Lyall from the Center for Hope in central NY will be appearing live on the CNN morning show, American Morning. They are representing Project Jason's Campaign for the Missing and will be discussing DNA as it relates to the campaign legislation and missing persons. I was unable to go because of our planned event here for Jason's 6 year missing date.

I am pleased for this opportunity to further our cause and educate not only the public, but the need-to-know; LE, families of the missing, and medical examiners and coroners. At the same time, it will bring some awareness for the Lyall's missing daugher, Suzanne, and our missing son, Jason.

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
http://www.projectjason.org
Read our Voice for the Missing Blog
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

I was thinking about Jason today, and I will include him in my prayers. God bless you, Jason, and your family. ♥

Hello,

For all Campaign for Missing Volunteers and other interested persons:

Media Alert: CNN American Morning for Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 8:40AM EST

Wednesday morning our friends Doug and Mary Lyall from the Center for Hope in central NY will be appearing live on the CNN morning show, American Morning. They are representing Project Jason's Campaign for the Missing and will be discussing DNA as it relates to the campaign legislation and missing persons. I was unable to go because of our planned event here for Jason's 6 year missing date.

I am pleased for this opportunity to further our cause and educate not only the public, but the need-to-know; LE, families of the missing, and medical examiners and coroners. At the same time, it will bring some awareness for the Lyall's missing daugher, Suzanne, and our missing son, Jason.

President and Founder,
Project Jason
Read our Voice for the Missing Blog
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

Praise God for this exposure to Jason and Suzanne and for The Campaign for the Missing! Kudo's Kelly! You are AMAZING. I am also praying that someone that knows something, somewhere will see CNN this morning and call in a lead. I am taping up, was up at 6 and the show is one of those ALL morning shows, so I had to leave for work and the segment had not yet been on. I did see it advertised last night, they said tune in at 6am (they all save the best stories for last).

I am praying for all involved today. We are all there with you, Monica, and the families of the missing today in spirit.

Prayers for Jason, Kelly and family on this six year anniversary of Jason's disapperance.

Also a remembrence in spirit tonght for all of Omaha's missing.

None of you are forgotten. Hoping for some answers soon.

For Jason....

I hope the Missing Person's Day event was, I don't know the word I'm looking for, helpful to you this day, Kelly and family.

Praise God for this exposure to Jason and Suzanne and for The Campaign for the Missing! Kudo's Kelly! You are AMAZING. I am also praying that someone that knows something, somewhere will see CNN this morning and call in a lead. I am taping up, was up at 6 and the show is one of those ALL morning shows, so I had to leave for work and the segment had not yet been on. I did see it advertised last night, they said tune in at 6am (they all save the best stories for last).

I am praying for all involved today. We are all there with you, Monica, and the families of the missing today in spirit.

Thanks to one and all for the prayers and well wishes.

The CNN segment is now supposed to air on Monday, but we don't know what time as of right now.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10042595

Published Thursday | June 14, 2007

Missing people's stories told at ceremony

BY LEIA BAEZ
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Kelly and Jim Jolkowski aren't giving up.

Wednesday marked six years since they last saw their son, Jason Jolkowski, then 19, when he left their Benson area home to walk to work.

More than 50 people attended a ceremony Wednesday night at Holy Name Catholic Church to commemorate the day, which Mayor Mike Fahey declared Omaha Missing Persons Day.

Project Jason, founded by the Jolkowski family, sponsored the event where community members prayed and listened to stories from families of missing persons.

"Things are going very good for Project Jason," Kelly Jolkowski said. "We have had national recognition in many ways.

"Awareness is key."

Jolkowski said her toughest challenge has been living day to day not knowing what happened to her son.

Through Project Jason however, she is able to show support to other families of missing people and receive support in return.

The Cue Center, a nonprofit organization based in North Carolina that provides assistance for families of the missing, included the Omaha event as a stop on its fourth annual "On the Road to Remember Tour."

Monica Caison, founder of the organization, said it's important for families of missing persons never to give up, but also to maintain a healthy lifestyle for themselves.

The tour, which runs through June 21, will cover 2,400 miles, making 22 stops in 11 states and raising awareness for 75 missing person cases.

Don and Donna Ross of Belton, Mo., traveled to the Omaha event to show support and raise awareness for their missing son, 20-year-old Jesse Ross.

Jesse Ross, who was a sophomore at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, vanished Nov. 21, 2006, after attending a conference in Chicago. After a dance, Jesse was seen heading to his hotel room, a 10-minute walk. He never made it.

"Seven months later we are still hoping for word," Don Ross said. "Thanks to (Project Jason), Jesse's story has been heard nationwide."

For Jason....

I hope the Missing Person's Day event was, I don't know the word I'm looking for, helpful to you this day, Kelly and family.

I was inspired by the other family member's speeches. Everyone did a great job!

You might want to revamp your sig. We have a new revised poster up and the link is not the same. Check out our website and see!

http://www.ketv.com/family/13502516/detail.html

(Video Included which shows families of missing Erin Pospisil and Jesse Ross speaking.)

Missing Man's Mother Wants National DNA Database Used
Kelly Jolkowski Asks States To Change Laws
6/13/07

On the anniversary of an Omaha teenager's disappearance, his mother launched a campaign to help find closure for the families of missing people.

Jason Jolkowski disappeared in June 2001. On Wednesday, his mother, Kelly, said she is pushing for new legislation. Through her advocacy group Project Jason, Jolkowski said she's helping lead a nationwide grassroots effort to better use the national DNA database to help identify the estimated 40,000 to 50,000 unidentified bodies around the country.

"Encourage families of the missing to have their DNA taken and entered into CODIS," Jolkowski said. "Then, when you have an unidentified body, these samples will match against family member samples."

Jolkowski wants states to pass legislation preventing remains from being cremated or buried without first identifying them.

"The law will stipulate that won't happen. They won't be able to do that. They must take a sample and get it into CODIS and match against family members samples," Jolkowski said.

While it could bring closure for many families of the missing, Jolkowski said it's not the outcome they will be wishing for.

Jolkowski said that currently there are eight states that have either put this legislation into place or are close to passing it. It is up for consideration in a number of others.

Jolkowski said she's been working with her state senator in hopes to have a proposal drafted for next year's legislative session in the Nebraska Unicameral.

I think about Jason a lot. Kelly, Jason and all of you are still in my prayers.

Thanks to one and all for the prayers and well wishes.

The CNN segment is now supposed to air on Monday, but we don't know what time as of right now.

I taped yesterday morning and ran through the tape quickly but didn't see it, SO, it didn't play yesterday? OK, NP, will redo it again Monday :) Thanks!

You might want to revamp your sig. We have a new revised poster up and the link is not the same. Check out our website and see!

Thanks for letting me know. I check it every once in a while to see if it's still good but I hadn't done it recently.

Still no word about the CNN segment.

Good Evening,

Three years ago, our family received the shocking news that a body had been found in CA. Officials there thought that this young man was our missing son, Jason. What followed this revelation was one of the most painful periods in our life, other than when Jason disappeared.

We were told by authorities we would have to wait, possibly for months, for the information that would reveal whether or not this person was our son. I then began a diary about our experience, unsure of why I felt compelled to do this and what purpose it might serve in the future. In this diary, I documented my efforts to lessen the waiting. I decided that I would do whatever it took to find the answers and relieve my family’s pain.

For the first time ever, this diary is being made public. Most names and places in the diary have been changed. Our intent is not to disparage the involved agencies. We understand how overworked most agencies are when it comes to missing and unidentified persons. Budgets also often don't allow for training, especially in cases of missing persons.

As we always say, we’re going to have to help the public understand our cause in order for them to be willing to pay more taxes or whatever it takes to properly staff and train law enforcement to handle missing persons’ cases.

We are forever grateful for the assistance we’ve had with Jason’s case.

After we did receive the answer about this unidentified person, it took us a long time to recover from the hurt and then discover what we were to do with our story. What we learned from this experience will be revealed at the end of this series on the Voice for the Missing blog.

Our friends at the Missing People Podcast recorded a dramatized version of the diary using volunteer voice talents.

To learn more about the story and hear the audio version of the diary, please go to http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/2007/06/62107-untold-story-awaiting-dna.html

We hope that in sharing this story, others who are going through something similar will be helped in some small way. And, as mentioned before, at the end of the series, we’ll discuss the other reasons and goals behind it.

With hope for our missing loved ones,

President and Founder,
Project Jason
News and Information Forum
http://www.projectjason.org/dpforum/forum.php

The first thing I thought about when I heard Tanya Kach's story is you, Kelly. Keep the faith...

As always, Jason's return is in my prayers.

Project Jason Brief: Campaign for the Missing in San Diego and on America Back on Track

Good Morning,

I just returned from a 2 day trip to San Diego, CA, where I shared information about the Campaign for the Missing at the 2007 National Sex Offender Registration and Management Conference. I was the day two keynote along with Margaret Bullens, the founder of SafeNowProject. Marc Klaas, founder of the KlaasKids Foundation, and Mark Lunsford, father of Jessica Lunsford were on day one.

I was pleased to be given the opportunity to present this critical information to an audience of 200 participants, most of whom were law enforcement. (LE) Given time constraints, I was not able to review the entire model legislation, so decided to focus on the DNA mandates and the importance of connecting the dots between the missing and unidentified.

In my speech, I gave them a brief CODIS primer, discussed the Project Jason amendments, and reviewed the process of obtaining family member samples from a non-technical (advocate/'family member) standpoint. They've been given additional links and information to study (such as our DNA Training) and the contact information for our friends at the Center for Human Idenification. I was pleased to have several attendees approach me afterwards for further discussion.

For more information: http://www.performanceweb.org/CENTERS/LE/Events/L227/L227.pdf

On Thursday, June 28th, I will be a guest on the live internet show, America- Back on Track. This will air at 12:38PST. You can listen to it live on their site at http://www.qualitynewsnetwork.com/index.htm

The topic of discussion will be the Campaign for the Missing. I feel fairly certain that he will want to focus on the use of DNA to resolve missing and unidentified persons' cases. Be sure to listen in.

About America Back on Track and the program's host:

America Back on Track with award-winning broadcast journalist Tony Seton is produced by the Quality News Network to stimulate an informed discussion of where we are as a nation and how to get America back on track.

America Back on Track’s focus is to reinvigorate our country by restoring America’s honest practices and good name as a nation and to pioneer a healthy and productive future for our children’s children’s children.

Featuring news, interviews, and commentary, America Back on Track puts the day's headlines and the country's issues into perspective by exploring where we are, how we got here, where we want to go, and how to get there.

America Back on Track airs weekdays from noon to 1pm (Pacific) on numerous radio stations across the country, and live on-line. Listen to the latest broadcast! Podcasts and archives are also available. In our local Monterey, California area, America Back on Track airs on KRML 1410-AM (92.5FM Comcast).

Tony Seton got started in professional communications at age 19, on April Fool's Day 1970, working as a $73-a-week copyboy on the overnight assignment desk at ABC Network Television News in New York, while a full-time student at NYU. During the Seventies, he rose through the ranks to become a full producer at ABC, covering five space shots, six elections, Watergate, Barbara Walters' news interviews, and a decade of breaking news stories. Tony wrote, produced, directed, and reported in live and tape broadcasts for radio and television, both commercial and public, network and local, winning a number of national awards.

President and Founder,
Project Jason
News and Information Forum
http://www.projectjason.org/dpforum/forum.php

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10078719

Published Sunday | July 15, 2007

Advocate: Boost missing-persons staff

BY LYNN SAFRANEK
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

A consultant's suggestion that the Omaha Police Department create a missing-persons squad was welcomed by a local missing-persons advocate.

However, Kelly Jolkowski said her endorsement had one condition: The squad should consist of more than the one full-time officer and one part-time officer recommended in the consultant's report.

"One-and-a-half people is not enough," said Jolkowski, who has been a vocal missing-persons advocate since her then-19-year-old son, Jason, disappeared six years ago.

Changes to the way the Omaha Police Department handles missing-persons reports was part of an efficiency study released last week by Matrix Consulting Group.

Missing juveniles and missing adults currently are investigated by separate Omaha police units.

According to the study, a part-time officer in the Child Victim/Sexual Assault Unit investigates missing-juvenile cases. The caseload is high: nearly 170 cases a month.

A different part-time officer who works out of the Crime Analysis Unit investigates cases of missing adults. That officer also is responsible for investigating gas thefts and phone harassment complaints. The Matrix study recommended consolidating those efforts into a single missing-persons squad that functions under the Special Victims Unit.

Sgt. Teresa Negron, a police spokeswoman, said the study slightly mischaracterized the way Omaha police investigate missing persons.

All reports of missing juveniles under 14 are investigated by detectives in the SVU — not the part-time officer, she said.

The part-time officer checks in on missing-juvenile cases of those 14 and older and serves as a liaison between families and investigators. If a family calls with more information, the part-time officer passes it to a detective to investigate, Negron said.

Likewise, a part-time officer and an administrative sergeant review missing-adult cases, she said. Cases that need follow-up work are assigned to investigators.

Jolkowski said the benefit of having a separate missing-persons squad would be specialized training for its investigators.

But cutting the unit to the bone, Jolkowski said, would only hurt investigations.

"I'm quite sure that one full-time and one part-time officer are not going to begin to do the job properly," she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kezzx