NE - Omaha Double Murder #3 - *Arrest Made*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Never stop fighting, Never give up." Love that. From inside knowledge, this taskforce is literally investigating leads all over the world.

"Never stop fighting, Never give up." Love that. From inside knowledge, this taskforce is literally investigating leads all over the world.

It's a quote from the movie 'The Untouchables', spoken by Kevin Costner in the climax of the film when Capone finally got his due, despite everything. I added it to my posts a couple years back, it seemed to summarize my determination to keep this story out there.

I may have one idea where in the world they are looking...

Good article Snick, thanks for linking and posting it.

After reading that article, do you think this person was well known by both Thomas and Roger Brumback? It sounds like Shirley let the person in, he didn't break in or anything like that, and it sounds like maybe the same thing again. Rodger or his wife must have opened the door to this person. I read that a large caliber clip was found on the porch, but I think that was a mistake on the killers part. Maybe when he was leaving he had his hands full with other stuff, (I don't know what) but maybe dropped the clip. But why do you take a clip out of a gun? What would be the reason if you shot someone, or was using it to scare them to let you inside? Anyone?

I ask myself, who would I open the door for? In my neighborhood, when hubby isn't home, no one. I talk through the door and ask what they want or if they have a bible in their hands, I ignore them. But in their neighborhood, I would bet they would feel safe opening the door to someone knocking. They were moving too, and knew someone had bought the piano, so maybe they had other stuff listed for sale. Do we know where they listed the piano?

After reading that article, do you think this person was well known by both Thomas and Roger Brumback? It sounds like Shirley let the person in, he didn't break in or anything like that, and it sounds like maybe the same thing again. Rodger or his wife must have opened the door to this person. I read that a large caliber clip was found on the porch, but I think that was a mistake on the killers part. Maybe when he was leaving he had his hands full with other stuff, (I don't know what) but maybe dropped the clip. But why do you take a clip out of a gun? What would be the reason if you shot someone, or was using it to scare them to let you inside? Anyone?

I ask myself, who would I open the door for? In my neighborhood, when hubby isn't home, no one. I talk through the door and ask what they want or if they have a bible in their hands, I ignore them. But in their neighborhood, I would bet they would feel safe opening the door to someone knocking. They were moving too, and knew someone had bought the piano, so maybe they had other stuff listed for sale. Do we know where they listed the piano?

It is interesting that this person seems to have entered both homes right thru the front door. Pretty bold if you ask me! I don't know anything about guns, (well, I know enough to know if I am firing a shotgun to plant my feet firmly so I don't end up on my tush) would the clip dislodge if there was a scuffle at the front door? I'm still curious about who the clip actually belonged to. If it belonged to Dr. Dr brumback, why would he take a gun w/ him to answer the door. If it belonged to the killer, did he leave the clip behind like he left knives behind on Dundee? I wonder how the Brumbacks were murdered?

We could probaby check CL in the week or so leading up to the murders. We would need a match in the ad to the Brumback's phone number. Then we would need to check on any ads on CL of the Brumbacks selling other belongings or seeking a piano mover and match the phone #'s! We could also check the classified ads in the OWH.

I dont answer my door either if Mr wm isn't home, anyone who knows me would notify me of a visit in advance.

I hope you all are having a pleasant Memorial Day.

wm

What I think is that this guy is fiendishly clever. In the Dundee crime I believe he posed as a delivery person, possibly told Shirlee he had a certified package or something that Tom had to sign for. In the Brumback killings he may have seen the ad on CL or someplace and realized this was a golden opportunity. He may have learned that Dr B was retiring and moving from sources at CU or possibly he follows developments on their website. He'd possibly been planning this ever since the 2008 killings but bided his time. Could Dr. Brumback have listed stuff they were selling on some pulbic place at CU? Maybe like a bulletin board for staff?

If he posed as a person who was delivering or asking for someone to sign for a package, or letter, he would IMO have to be somewhat dressed for the role. I don't know if that was the case (dressed for the role) in the Hunter case. In the Brumback case, I would think if this was the same killer Dr Brumback would have known who he was right off the bat. I would bet if they thought it was BM both husband and wife would know who to be on the lookout for. That is why I am a bit confused as to how he got them to open the doors. MB wouldn't just walk up on the Brumback's door IMO, or would he? After the articles about him out of Canada I think he would need a really good disguise.

The clip is a mystery unless he left it on purpose. I have used guns with clips and they don't just fall out, you have to "release" them. If Dr Brumback was found inside, he must have died there, so who or what made the killer take that action to drop that clip. Or did he drop it before he entered the home? And went out another way when he left and didn't see that clip? If I am going into the home, I need the clip if I am going to shoot someone, right? If I shot them I have the clip in the gun, but if I am using the gun to only gain entry, as a scare tactic, then the person at the door may try to grab the gun and then cause me to drop the clip, but then I don't have it to shoot the people, so I have to use something else to kill them. Did he just forget the clip? Did he hit the person with the gun at the door to gain entry and the clip fell out? that is another possibility. Also a gun would be loud and a neighbor may hear it. So I am leaning towards a scuffle at the entrance to the home and leaving out another way or in such a hurry, I don't see it and leave it behind.

The most important thing about the clip would be the fingerprints on it. I hope there are some!

I'm thinking maybe the clip was an extra one. He could have had one in the gun and another in his pocket. Somehow he dropped the extra clip on his way out, not noticing.

I'm thinking maybe the clip was an extra one. He could have had one in the gun and another in his pocket. Somehow he dropped the extra clip on his way out, not noticing.

An extra clip makes sense, collette. If there was a noisy scuffle, he may not have even realised he dropped it. Or he could have been in such a hurry to leave the scene he dropped it on his way out.

Dr. Michael Belenky may have been booted from the Creighton pathology residency program under the supervision of Dr. Hunter. Dr. Brumback was employed there at the same time. Belenky then was accepted by Allegheny General in Pittsburgh and worked on a fellowship there, but he never passed his board exams.

Being booted from a residency program would be extremely humiliating, but the humiliation wouldn't end there. When applying for positions, an competent employer would contact Creighton's attending pathologists to ask about why Belenky was booted. Dr. Brumback may have given honest recommendations to those inquiring about Blelnky which would be poor recommendation if he was booted.
http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2011/04/09/17931326.html
http://www.unmc.edu/pathology/docs/mjj03.pdf
http://www.rewardstv.net/unsolved-crimes/54000-reward-mysterious-double-murder/

Everything I read about these murders today stated that the man seen at the Hunter's door was wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase or another professional bag over his shoulder. Have you ever read that a random serial killer wore a suit to murder people? I haven't.

The earliest reports on Websleuths do not say the person that entered the Hunter's home was wearing a dark suit. They state he was wearing a dark coat.

Another interview with a lieutenant has the lt. stating that the man who entered the Hunter's home had on an ill-fitted suit.

I wonder if they know where he is now? There is a facebook page, and I am pretty sure it is him. This is so weird, and scary.

I didn't think any of the facebook Michael Belenkys looked like him. Is there a middle initial or could you name one friend (by initials) of the one you think looks like him?

He has a medical license in Alaska, but his residence is listed as Vancouver.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9536115&postcount=79"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - University professor, wife killed in Nebraska[/ame]

Great sleuthing Pensfan! Glad to know something new about the elusive MB. Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668
Back