NE NE - Ricky Chadek, 11, Omaha, 23 March 1986

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Although the cases probably aren't connected, Marc Allen, 13, disappeared 6 days later from Des Moines, Iowa which is 2 hours away. He has never been found.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/allen_marc.html
http://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/marc-allen/

Very difficult to discern, very possible, there were ALOT of abductions going on in the late 70's early 80's ... I don't know if it were socioeconomic problems of the time that sparked it, or if there were a bunch of offenders who were inspired by hearing stories, of other, abductions.

The problem is that most individuals who abduct and kill victims, don't base victim selection on things like physical appearance.

Some do , but not most.

Victims, are usually abducted, because the situation seems right to the offender .

And the offender is usually in the area of the abduction, for legitimate reasons, like they work or live nearby, it may be part of a route they work etc...

The area where Ricky came up missing is just blocks from I-80 I have wondered many times over the years if somebody just happened to be traveling through Omaha and got off of the interstate there saw Ricky and kidnapped him. It would have been easy to do. This happened in a nice area as a matter of fact it is still a nice area with a very low crime rate. It's odd that Ricky just disappeared never to be found. This case is close to home and has always bothered me. My own son was 10 years old at the time this happened.
I read the other day that the fact Ricky's bike was standing on its kickstand indicates he knew his abductor. Otherwise, his bike would probably have been dropped or knocked over. I don't think that's always the case, but it makes sense.
I hope we don't stop looking into this case, just because some very impressive theories have been posted. Until it's checked out and tried in court, we can't know what's true, what holds water, and what doesn't.

Because Ricky Chadek was held safely for a week, do they suspect more than one person was involved? Maybe one of them killed the boy or even bought him from the abductor? The abductor wasn't necessarily the same person who killed him, right?

My guess is a church goer since from what I can tell he was abducted on sunday and killed on Sunday..maybe whoever had to go to church and couldnt leave the boy alone without him escaping ..IDK just a thought

Authorities ask for community's help in 1986 unsolved murder

http://www.ketv.com/news/authorities-ask-for-communitys-help-in-1986-unsolved-murder/38718668

Authorities found Ricky Chadek, 11, dead 30 years ago on Easter Sunday in a field northwest of Omaha.

He disappeared from his neighborhood on south 42nd Street days earlier, and his killer hasn't been found.

"I'd be able to stop wondering," Grooms said. "I'd be able to sleep at night knowing that whoever it was is either dead and buried or off the streets and nobody has to go through this ever again because of them."

Recent DNA evidence in Ricky's case hasn't come up with any suspects, but investigators said if anyone has any suspicion or information to contact 402-444-6000.

Find a Grave

67389839_130101138565.jpg

I was following his story and found it interesting with everything fitting except being 'gutted' I don't think Ricky was gutted.

It is my opinion that the person who wrote that blog has some untreated mental problems. I would not take anything in it as even remotely factual.

Horrible-but I have to say that Nebraska is state you don't hear much from in terms of crime and cold cases. Were there any operating child killers at the time that were looked at for this?

Douglas County investigators working to solve 1986 cold case

http://www.ketv.com/news/douglas-county-investigators-working-to-solve-1986-cold-case/41543426

Douglas County Sheriff Tim Dunning has worked for years, trying to solve the case of Ricky Chadek. The boy was last seen riding his bike in 1986. Dunning says, "It does hit home, so that when you go home you appreciate your kids a lot more."

Dunning says investigators are working tirelessly to solve the case. “We’ll just keep going back over this case and hopefully we will find something and somebody will come forward and we'll eventually solve it."

One thing always bothered me about this. He was abducted about a mile from my house and he was the same age as me. I grew up in a house on 44th and Dayton, which is just two blocks south of F st. There was a guy in our neighborhood who gave a lot of us kids the creeps. He drove a blue pick-up with wood panels and the day after Ricky went missing those wood panels came off his truck.

If he saw you out alone he would always ask if you wanted to come over and play or hangout. Like I said he gave me bad vibes. At the time I was taking karate and told one of the cops who taught the class but I think he just listened and blew it off. Years later I called the detective handling the cold case and told him. He wanted the address however I drove back there to the old neighborhood and after 20 years I could not remember the exact house.

One thing always bothered me about this. He was abducted about a mile from my house and he was the same age as me. I grew up in a house on 44th and Dayton, which is just two blocks south of F st. There was a guy in our neighborhood who gave a lot of us kids the creeps. He drove a blue pick-up with wood panels and the day after Ricky went missing those wood panels came off his truck.

If he saw you out alone he would always ask if you wanted to come over and play or hangout. Like I said he gave me bad vibes. At the time I was taking karate and told one of the cops who taught the class but I think he just listened and blew it off. Years later I called the detective handling the cold case and told him. He wanted the address however I drove back there to the old neighborhood and after 20 years I could not remember the exact house.

Have you asked your parents if they remember him at all?

Yes, my dad thought he was a creeper, alas he is dead. My mom does not remember.

COLD CASE: Ricky Chadek’s murder still unsolved 35 years later

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - One of Omaha’s most infamous cold cases is resurfacing. Back in March of 1985, Richard “Ricky” Chadek left a friend’s house - only never to be seen again. His body was found eight days later. Now, after 35-years, detectives are taking another look at the evidence to help – bring in his killer.

Ricky Chadek was your typical 11-year old boy. He was into transformers, G.I Joe, Legos. “And he wanted to be an astronaut,” said Theresa Grooms, Ricky’s mother. “So, we had a lot of Lego spaceships in our house.”

But, on March 23, 1986, Ricky’s dreams of becoming an astronaut came to an abrupt end.

It was Palm Sunday; Theresa and Ricky went to church. “Then I drove him and his bike to his friend, Tony’s house, and that was around noon,” said Theresa. “Gave him a hug and kiss goodbye, thankfully.”

Ricky was supposed to be home by 5 pm. “And so, he called me,” explained Theresa. “He said ‘Mom, I’m running late. I forgot all about it, I’m sorry.’ I said, ‘don’t worry about it babe, just be safe!’”

It was the last time Theresa would talk to her son. Time ticked by, but there was no sign of Ricky. Theresa started getting worried around 5:30 pm when Ricky still wasn’t home. Theresa decided to drive around the block to see if she could find him. She drove down the street to the bank at the corner of 42nd and Valley. “I saw his bike shoved back in there between the dumpster and the wooden sides of the enclosure,” said Theresa. “And I knew something was wrong.”

She got out of her car and began calling for her son. “I started shouting as loud as I could. ‘Richard Frank Chadek, The Third, you get your butt out here!’” she exclaimed. “Nothing moved. Nobody came out of their house. Nothing.”

Theresa rushed back to her house and called the police. Sergeant John Pankonin is with the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and says, “he didn’t get home, he didn’t make it home.” Police filed a missing child report and began asking for tips.

“One of the witnesses did indicate that a boy matching the description of Ricky did approach a blue truck,” said Pankonin. He describes the blue truck as a blue ford or chevy pick-up with wooden sideboards. Police checked out hundreds of leads matching that description. “The individual that had him in his possession, either was a good communicator or gained Ricky’s trust.”

Eight agonizing days later, three men in suits knocked on Theresa’s door. “I started backing out of the room screaming, ‘no, no, no!’” she cried. “After that, things get a little bit blurry.”

Ricky’s body was found down an embankment near 168th and Ida. His hair, clothes and body – all clean. Detectives believe Ricky was kept alive, cared for, even fed – for at least seven days. Food was even found in Ricky’s digestive track. “It looked like some ham that had been fried because of the burnt edges around it, corn, celery, potatoes,” said Pankonin. “So, it looked like he was fed possibly a good meal, a good Easter meal or just before Easter.”

Detectives found physical evidence at the scene – hair follicles. They were submitted for testing, what returned was only a partial DNA profile – not enough to enter into the national DNA database. Fast forward 35 years, police are now turning to a private company to take a second look. “Right now, we are looking to see if we can progress this case further,” said Pankonin. “Possibly through genetic genealogy.”

It could bring the break in the case detectives need and Theresa has been praying for. “I still don’t know what went on in those seven to eight days,” she said. “I don’t know um, what other kinds of things he was put through. What did this person do with him for seven days?”

And even if the case has gone cold, Sergeant Pankonin’s determination to find the killer has not. “Just because the person may have passed on, doesn’t mean that we can’t close this case out and help provide some answers to Theresa and her family,” he said.

A suspect has never been arrested in Ricky Chadek’s death. Police are still looking for any leads in this case. If you know anything about Ricky’s murder or have information that could lead to Ricky’s killer, call the Douglas County Sheriff Tip Line at (402) 444-6000.

Copyright 2021 WOWT. All rights reserved.

Can anyone post the composite that was on page one of this the link doesn’t work anymore?

Found this in the Lincoln Journal Star. "FBI, Omaha Police search for missing boy." 26 March 86.

Chadek Suspect sketch.jpg

The suspect was described as a man in his 40s-50s with a reddish complexion. He was driving a blue pickup truck with wooden sideboards. It may have had Iowa license plates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12
Back