NE NE - Ryan Larsen, 11, with autism, La Vista, 17 May 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is there a way you could post this link again, please? I don't know why but it doesn't open for me (gives a blank page.) Does the link work for others? If so, what does it say (paraphrasing?) Thanks.
The link in the original post worked for me, but the link as copied in your post doesn't work. This is what it says:

OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — A petition to declare missing La Vista boy Ryan Larsen has been denied.

In court documents filed on Thursday, the judge cited decades of Nebraska case law in his decision and said there's not enough evidence of a death.

The petition had been filed by Larsen's mother in order to move forward with a lawsuit against the La Vista school district.

Ryan, who has autism, walked out of La Vista Elementary in May of 2021 and hasn't been seen since.

Sorry this Is all the text says in the above newspaper article
OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — A petition to declare missing La Vista boy Ryan Larsen has been denied.

In court documents filed on Thursday, the judge cited decades of Nebraska case law in his decision and said there's not enough evidence of a death.

The petition had been filed by Larsen's mother in order to move forward with a lawsuit against the La Vista school district.

Ryan, who has autism, walked out of La Vista Elementary in May of 2021 and hasn't been seen since.

Anyone aware of the details regarding the lawsuit against the school district?
This isn’t his first time he’s left home, but this is the longest he’s been gone.
Were his previous times running away also from school or from home?

Is there a way you could post this link again, please? I don't know why but it doesn't open for me (gives a blank page.) Does the link work for others? If so, what does it say (paraphrasing?) Thanks.
Did not open for me either -- it's a bad/blocked link. Nonetheless, I recall the remains located in North Elkhorn were that of a 50+ age male.

Last edited:
The link in the original post worked for me, but the link as copied in your post doesn't work. This is what it says:

I don't think OP was referring to the link about the petition being denied but the 3/22 report human remains were found in North Elkhorn. It's all moot, the remains were not RL.

I guess I was more curious about the basis or reasoning of the lawsuit. Since he (sadly) had a history of escaping from home while under the parents' care, why they would then be holding the school to a higher standard than their own home and be suing for his escaping school during class changes?

I guess I was more curious about the basis or reasoning of the lawsuit. Since he (sadly) had a history of escaping from home while under the parents' care, why they would then be holding the school to a higher standard than their own home and be suing for his escaping school during class changes?

Because the school did not follow his safety plan. They were legally responsible for his safety.
I wonder if a different kind of lawsuit can move forward. JMO.

Right, I understand that this time it occurred at school. I guess I would have a different opinion of the lawsuit if he didn't also have a history if running off from home while under his parents legal care/safety plan.

The mother of a La Vista boy who went missing from his elementary school in 2021 has filed a civil lawsuit alleging that the Papillion La Vista Community School District was negligent in supervising her son.

Around noon on May 17, 2021, 11-year-old Ryan Larsen walked out the front doors of La Vista West Elementary School. Ryan was on an individualized education plan and had a previous history of running away from school. Despite an extensive search and investigation, he hasn't been found.

The lawsuit filed in federal court Friday by Ryan's mother, Tammi Larsen, alleges that the Papillion La Vista Community School District was negligent in supervising Ryan and violated multiple federal laws meant to protect students with disabilities.

According to the lawsuit, Ryan began attending La Vista West Elementary as a kindergartener in 2014. He had already been diagnosed with a seizure disorder prior to starting school, and in the coming years, he would receive additional diagnoses of autism spectrum disorder and Tourette's syndrome.

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - Wednesday, a federal judge in Omaha dismissed a lawsuit brought forward by the family of Ryan Larsen, the 11-year-old boy with Autism who went missing in 2021, against the Papillion-La Vista School District.

Although efforts made by the Larsen family to hold someone accountable for his disappearance have failed in the courts, La Vista police say they’re still working to locate the boy.

“We will keep working it until we find Ryan,” said La Vista Police Capt. Tom Armburst.

Armbrust says although the case is nearly two and a half years old now, it’s not a cold case.

continues

Maybe there's more info out there that would change the narrative, but I'm deeply skeptical that the school could be held responsible for Ryan's disappearance for leaving him unsupervised for 10 minutes. IMO.

I still find it incredible that he had ran away and hid multiple times but this time - for unknown reasons - he did not emerge or was not found. Where are you, Ryan?

I just said this in another thread about a missing autistic child, so I’m sorry if you see that and this, I’m not trying to harp on it, but I have a 6 year old autistic brother who likes to hide. Luckily he doesn’t run (we always find him somewhere inside), but he gets into really tight spaces and just chills there when he wants to. Autistic children can also become quite obsessive once they’re interested in something. IMO, it seems like successfully escaping and hiding became a sort of special interest for Ryan (with the searches of “how to hide from police” & previous times running away), and unfortunately he got into too tight of a spot and couldn’t get out. Which, if true, would mean he may never be found. I don’t know what kind of space that would be, but it seems like Ryan was crafty so I don’t doubt he found somewhere.

I agree with others in that I don’t think a lawsuit will be successful because Ryan had ran away from home too. Of course you want school authorities to watch your child as closely as possible, and I know Ryan had a 504 plan or something similar in place, but the fact of the matter is that there are hundreds of kids to watch at a school. If he was that big of a flight risk and needed to be watched literally 1 on 1 closely at all times, then he needed to be in a special school. (Not placing blame on family here whatsoever, just stating reasons why the school likely won’t be held responsible for Ryan leaving).

Ryan, where are you?? :(

I just said this in another thread about a missing autistic child, so I’m sorry if you see that and this, I’m not trying to harp on it, but I have a 6 year old autistic brother who likes to hide.
^^rsbm

I've long followed a SD case of a missing 9 year old girl who also liked to hide, snuck out of a children's home (Feb) wearing only a t-shirt and jeans, and she's also never been found.

It's shattering to think how something that is very common to their families can also have such an unhappy ending.

What do you do? You can't exactly make them a prisoner of their own room.

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - Wednesday, a federal judge in Omaha dismissed a lawsuit brought forward by the family of Ryan Larsen, the 11-year-old boy with Autism who went missing in 2021, against the Papillion-La Vista School District.

Although efforts made by the Larsen family to hold someone accountable for his disappearance have failed in the courts, La Vista police say they’re still working to locate the boy.

“We will keep working it until we find Ryan,” said La Vista Police Capt. Tom Armburst.

Armbrust says although the case is nearly two and a half years old now, it’s not a cold case.

continues

The dismissal of an initial Federal Civil Rights lawsuit is very common and the Court left it open to be refiled with a refined argument.

From the quoted MSM link:

In dismissing the claim, Senior U.S. District Court Judge Joseph Bataillon said Tammi Larsen’s complaint “does not allege an unconstitutional policy of the school district,” which is required for a federal lawsuit.

The judge dismissed the case without prejudice, meaning the family could bring another lawsuit forward. The lawsuit, filed in May, was seeking an unspecified amount of money as well as punitive damages.

If the student had an Individual Education Plan (IEP) and/or a Behavioral Intervention Plan (BIP) that addressed supervision due to his eloping, then the school should be held responsible. But I would have to read the case filings.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back