New Developments and General Discussion, 08/10/2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/360477814006959/

per Mickey's mother, Nancy Rowe, re: The Daily Advertiser:

"The local newspaper, the Advertiser, published an article on Saturday 8/11/12 which said that I had described the volunteer search efforts for my daughter Mickey Shunick as "pointless." I went ballistic; a retraction was promised, and I sent a statement to the paper that I wanted published. Instead, way down at the bottom of page 2, in 5-point type, was a "clarification" of what I "meant."
Here is my statement, sent to Megan Wyatt yesterday. Please tell me how to get this to every single person who reads this paper. This is very, very sleazy!
"I have never, and would never, describe the search efforts for my daughter Mickey as "pointless."
To attribute this thoughtless, heartless, illogical statement to me is an affront to me, to our family, and an insult to the countless caring individuals who have kept the name and face of Mickey Shunick in the forefront of public awareness for nearly three months.
Through this search that began on May 19th, we have joined hands and hearts with too many old friends, extended family, acquaintances, and perfect strangers (more perfect than they can imagine) - there are too many to count, too many to thank.
We are comforted by the knowledge that we will walk through life now with these hands and hearts still touching ours. The outpourings of love and support have continued to leave us speechless. We send all that love right back to everyone involved. Always."
FYI, this is the sentence I took out: "This community response should not be trivialized by irresponsible journalism.""

so sad

I saw on this group that Mickey's mom posted that she can live for Mickey but how can she live without her. Absolutely broke my heart. :( I am so sad they are still fighting the media while they should only be dealing with grieving.

'Seems, the only thing that the Advertiser has gotten accurate thus far is the footage from their security camera'...

It's helpful to remember that the Advertiser has rotated responsibilities for reporting the case among several reporters - Amanda McElfresh, Claire Taylor, Megan Wyatt, and a couple others. This arrangement has advantages - such as allowing reporters to bounce things off each other and maintain flexibility in assigning stories, and disadvantages, such as one reporter maybe not having the same level of understanding of all aspects of the case, and possible inconsistency in the analysis of facts.

I will say that Claire Taylor, especially, in the stories after BSL was arrested and especially after Mickey was found, wrote very well-organized, comprehansive stories that really helped encapsulate the long road, with all the twists and turns, that helped me see the big picture.

Whatever happened with Mrs. Shunick's quote, I doubt there was bad intent. As an ex-reporter myself, I know that sometimes things don't come out the way we mean them, and also sometimes quotes taken out of context can read 180 degrees, in isolation, from the actual intent.

At various points in my newspaper career, I was getting hate mail from women who thought a column of mine was sexist, and had Jesse Jackson reading aloud parts of one of my columns on race relations from a stage and ripping me a new one.

No matter what I had actually intended, people read the words I had published and reacted to what was on the printed page.

I understand how Mrs. Shunick would feel embarrassed when she read a quote that seemed to downplay the efforts of searchers. It seems obvious to me that that quote would belong in the context of a sentiment from her to the effect of, "the [results of] the search efforts were pointless because Mickey happened to be in a spot that never would have been searched."

We must understand her sense of embarrassment, and hopefully Ms. Wyatt will also understand that Mrs. Shunick's angry response was nothing personal. Also, I would hope that Mrs. Shunick would realize that the reporter didn't mean it to sound like the searchers weren't needed or appreciated. Being a reporter can be a pretty hard job because, despite the intent, what gets printed is what people react to, and it gets published everywhere.

Although I do think he knew her, I don't think he buried her there because of guilt.
I think he buried her there for a few reasons. For one, to cover up any smell and prevent the body from being found or floating up like it would have in water. Two, any cadaver dogs would pick up on the scent of bodies already there. Plus, if that's a cemetery from the 1880s, I don't doubt they have bodies in the forest outside of the actual cemetery. Thirdly, if he ever wanted to visit the site or move the body, he could play it off by acting like he was visiting a deceased loved one in the graveyard if anyone passed by.

I just can't ever believe he did anything out of compassion...
First Lisa, then Mickey, his compassion doesn't exist. And he probably has a lot more that no one may ever know about.

I wish this guy had respect or something, but I can't see it. He goes get a haircut like a month after Mickey was killed, laughing and joking with his beautician, flirting and asking her on a date.

He's a monster, and I don't say that lightly.

IMO, another reason that he buried Mickey in the cemetery was so he could revisit his kill. If he had put her in water or the swamp, Mickey's body could have drifted or been eaten. This way he kept her for himself.

IMO, another reason that he buried Mickey in the cemetery was so he could revisit his kill. If he had put her in water or the swamp, Mickey's body could have drifted or been eaten. This way he kept her for himself.

Yes, just like he did with lisas body except Mickey was much less noticeable. With that being said, if he has an hither victims, they're probably in locations he can remember so he can visit them

De2385, psychopaths have no remorse or guilt..
Imo, BSL was a ritual serial killer and a collector, and indications are that there will be other unknown victims.. He had ample opportunity to dispose of the body in areas where the elements would have destroyed all incriminating evidence. BSL's victims were his sole possessions; the results of his power of life and death over others..

An interesting take on body disposal:

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/investigators/serial_killers.html#4

Denouement

Once a serial killer is in possession of a living victim, and has this victim where he feels safe enough to act out his fantasies, the acts he carries out are often performed as if on "auto-pilot." The killer's acts appear to be a close reenactment of what he previously did in his imagination. So, from among an array of violent fantasies, he picks and chooses the individual cruelties that he feels will assure the most in the way of "self-fulfillment."

His real gratification comes from the subjugation, terrorization, and brutalization of his victim, and almost not at all from the actual murder itself

Once he murders his victim, a serial killer's tactics for disposal of the body remain entirely self-centered. If, for example, he takes the time and effort to bury his victim's remains, he almost certainly does this not out of any last-minute concession toward decency, but, instead, simply to hide the evidence.

A serial killer generally does have an idea for where he wants to dispose of the victim's remains, or at least, he has a general idea of the type of locale that would best suit his needs. Usually, this is a remote or secluded locale, a place where he can discard the victim's body quickly and without the likelihood of being seen, yet which affords some ready concealment over his victim's remains. If the whole violent episode occurred at such a locale in the first place, he will simply kill and leave his victim right there. If not, he will generally always put forth some effort to reach a secluded and preferred dumping ground. But, as always, his every action will be governed solely by self concern.

Agree. As i posted prior. Location meant something to him and him only :moo:

'Seems, the only thing that the Advertiser has gotten accurate thus far is the footage from their security camera'...
Speaking of The Advertiser, I just found another error in reporting. On July 20, 2012 they published an article about BSL and a review of cold cases:
In October 1999, just after Pate's remains were discovered, the body of another young woman, 24-year-old Danielle Thibodeaux of Breaux Bridge, was found in rural St. Martin Parish. The case has never been solved.

Maj. Ginny Higgins, spokeswoman for the St. Martin Parish Sheriff's Office, said detectives there do not believe Lavergne is tied to Thibodeaux's death.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120720/NEWS01/207200336/Indictment-leads-review-cold-cases?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

The date is wrong. Thibodeaux's body was discovered in October, 1998, in Broussard, LA.
The Advocate (Baton Rouge, La.) October 31, 1998

ST. MARTINVILLE - Investigators have identified the body of a person found in the woods by a hunter Wednesday, Capt. Newman Braud of the St. Martin Parish Sheriff's Office said in a press release. The body of Danielle Thibodeaux, 24, was found in a wooded area off Aubrey Ozenne Road in St. Martin Parish, Braud said.
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives

I'm not sure the link will work because it's a "for fee" article from the archives. This first paragraph can be found by searching "Danielle Thibodeaux" in google news archives.

This one might work:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...page=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

I'm not knocking The Advertiser, but thought it important to point out the discrepancy. It doesn't rule out BSL as the perp.

It's helpful to remember that the Advertiser has rotated responsibilities for reporting the case among several reporters - Amanda McElfresh, Claire Taylor, Megan Wyatt, and a couple others. This arrangement has advantages - such as allowing reporters to bounce things off each other and maintain flexibility in assigning stories, and disadvantages, such as one reporter maybe not having the same level of understanding of all aspects of the case, and possible inconsistency in the analysis of facts.

I will say that Claire Taylor, especially, in the stories after BSL was arrested and especially after Mickey was found, wrote very well-organized, comprehansive stories that really helped encapsulate the long road, with all the twists and turns, that helped me see the big picture.

Whatever happened with Mrs. Shunick's quote, I doubt there was bad intent. As an ex-reporter myself, I know that sometimes things don't come out the way we mean them, and also sometimes quotes taken out of context can read 180 degrees, in isolation, from the actual intent.

At various points in my newspaper career, I was getting hate mail from women who thought a column of mine was sexist, and had Jesse Jackson reading aloud parts of one of my columns on race relations from a stage and ripping me a new one.

No matter what I had actually intended, people read the words I had published and reacted to what was on the printed page.

I understand how Mrs. Shunick would feel embarrassed when she read a quote that seemed to downplay the efforts of searchers. It seems obvious to me that that quote would belong in the context of a sentiment from her to the effect of, "the [results of] the search efforts were pointless because Mickey happened to be in a spot that never would have been searched."

We must understand her sense of embarrassment, and hopefully Ms. Wyatt will also understand that Mrs. Shunick's angry response was nothing personal. Also, I would hope that Mrs. Shunick would realize that the reporter didn't mean it to sound like the searchers weren't needed or appreciated. Being a reporter can be a pretty hard job because, despite the intent, what gets printed is what people react to, and it gets published everywhere.

Chicken fried, my post was a futile attempt at humor.

“Happiness lies for those who cry, those who hurt, those who have searched, and those who have tried for only they can appreciate the importance of people who have touched their lives.”

Agree. As i posted prior. Location meant something to him and him only :moo:

Yep, simply a marker/landmark for later locating, when returning to his ritual/burial grounds, imo.

Yep, simply a marker/landmark for later locating, when returning to his ritual/burial grounds, imo.

We were discussing why he knew about that particular cemetary. Also, did someone see him/his vehicle there and reported it? Because, he had to have gone there several times.

Wondering if there are any other unmarked graves at that cemetery???

A bit of info about the speculation of a plea bargain and the steps that would be followed if he did make a deal for the revelation of MS's whereabouts.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...ing-Lavergne-struck-deal?odyssey=mod|mostview

RE: "The court would automatically have to sentence him to life imprisonment without benefit of probation, parole or pardon," Guilbeau said.

The only way Lavergne would ever be let out of prison is if the pardon board and governor commuted his sentence, Guilbeau said.

"That would never happen in a first-degree murder case,"

'Thanx for sharing, RWRNHZ40'
'Never say never'...
Imo, BS Lavergne, would have never give up the location of Mickey Schunick's remains without a solid plea agreement.. It will be interesting to learn what motivated him to come clean, if he did, and an agreement was reached.

We were discussing why he knew about that particular cemetary. Also, did someone see him/his vehicle there and reported it? Because, he had to have gone there several times.

Imo, BSL was a purveyor of rural historic cemeteries..
At night it would be rare to encounter others at a cemetery.
As per this particular cemetery. Imo, BSL would have been able to determine for a great distance, if he would be detected by others/LE, entering due to their headlights. The highways in Louisiana are very flat.
Anyone familiar with the cemetery, feedback as to whether it is on a long straight away would be apreciated.

BSL, was military trained and would have more than likely used staging as a deflection tactic, should LE or a caretaker arbitrarily show up.
Imo, BSL had preplanned this location and was very familiar with the cemetery..
Imo, from very early on in this case all indicators pointed to a stranger abduction by an experienced/serial sexual predator; 'no stranger to the game'.. His traits and motives seemed obvious due to the rare/creative MO, time of night/deserted/cloak of darkness, cleaning of the crime scene, etc.
A week later her bicycle was located in the waters of Whiskey Bay, which lent credence to this theory due to its dark history.

Organized serial killers/predators have rules to go by as do disciplined hunters. These are tittled the rules of prey.. Imo, BSL adhered to these and other rules indicated by his awareness of jurisdictional linkage blindness..
'Tragically, to psychopathic predators, life imitates art'..

snipet from - 'Rules of Prey' by John Sandford - from the prey series..of which there are many..

The maddog was intelligent. He was a member of the bar. He derived rules.

Never kill anyone you know.
Never have a motive.
Never follow a discernible pattern.
Never carry a weapon after it has been used.
Isolate yourself from random discovery.
Beware of leaving physical evidence.
There were more. He built them into a challenge.

http://www.johnsandford.org/prey01t.html

If BSL has other victims and buried them deep like Mickey, they will almost never be found. With all rural forests, it'd be very easy to do so. Is it possible Bsl wanted to directly lead them to her grave because he didn't want to risk them stumbling onto any other victim graves?

Did he make another visit to the cemetary, to check up on things, after the tracking device was in place?

hi everyone.

what date did BSL go to church? i'm being lazy

I heard that it was either the 3rd or 4th of June?

A news article reported it as the 3rd but most people assumed they meant the 4th because that would be a Sunday. Now I am going on memory but I think this is correct.

RE: "The court would automatically have to sentence him to life imprisonment without benefit of probation, parole or pardon," Guilbeau said.

The only way Lavergne would ever be let out of prison is if the pardon board and governor commuted his sentence, Guilbeau said.

"That would never happen in a first-degree murder case,"

'Thanx for sharing, RWRNHZ40'
'Never say never'...
Imo, BS Lavergne, would have never give up the location of Mickey Schunick's remains without a solid plea agreement.. It will be interesting to learn what motivated him to come clean, if he did, and an agreement was reached.

I'm thinking this is the case. I think he did not physically lead LE to the site, but was asked to make audio/video of his confession that day. That way, if a body was found and indeed identified correctly, then the process was already in progress. I can't imagine the plea excluding future indictments without that being more or less a confession as well. It will be interesting -- I hope they will do this expediently and there is no such exclusion-- then if subsequent cases arise he'd have to have separate plea/charges etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx