New Jersey - Coronavirus COVID-19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
State health officials announced a total of eight additional coronavirus-related deaths and 270 new cases in Monmouth and Ocean counties Wednesday.

Monmouth County has the seventh-most and Ocean County has the eight-most reported COVID-19 cases out of New Jersey's 21 counties.

Monmouth County
There were 144 new COVID-19 cases in Monmouth County reported in the past 24 hours, bringing the county's total to 1,301, according to the New Jersey Department of Health.

Officials reported three new deaths in the county overnight connected to the coronavirus pandemic. The county's death toll is now 24, according to state health department data.

Ocean County
There were 126 additional cases of COVID-19 in Ocean County reported to the state health department over the past day, according to state Health Commissioner Judith Persichilli. The county's case tally is now 1,209, according to state data.

Officials also reported five additional deaths in Ocean County, bring the countywide death toll from the pandemic to 23.

Coronavirus in NJ: 8 new deaths, 270 new cases at Jersey Shore

Ocean County link:

Covid-19 Case Totals – Ocean County Health Department

as of yesterday:

Barnegat 35
Barnegat Light 2
Bay Head 2
Beach Haven 3
Beachwood 9
Berkeley 68
Brick 104
Eagleswood 0
Harvey Cedars 0
Island Heights 1
Jackson 100
Lacey 31
Lakehurst 2
Lakewood 438
Lavallette 2
Little Egg Harbor 9
Long Beach Township 3
Manchester 55
Mantoloking 0
Ocean Gate 0
Ocean Twp. (Waretown) 4
Pine Beach 0
Plumsted 4
Point Pleasant Beach 3
Point Pleasant Borough 30
Seaside Heights 6
Seaside Park 2
Ship Bottom 2
South Toms River 13
Surf City 1
Stafford 23
Toms River 156
Tuckerton 0

The coronavirus appears to be surging in North Jersey, as the state saw its highest number of deaths in one day and began trying to secure refrigerated trucks to hold the dead, state officials said Wednesday.

The state recorded 91 new deaths related to COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and 3,649 new positive tests, Gov. Phil Murphy said. A majority of those deaths and positive tests were concentrated in Bergen, Essex and Hudson counties, he said.

"It looks like the surge is beginning to occur in the northern part of the state," health commissioner Judith Persichilli said during a briefing in Trenton. "We’re beginning to feel the real stress and strain on the critical care complement."

That strain includes the shortage of medications used to sedate patients who require a ventilator. Persichilli said she heard from one hospital in the north that "the volume that they have on the shelves is going low."

Persichilli had expected a surge to hit New Jersey around the middle of April. But seven hospitals in North Jersey were diverting patients Tuesday night because of overcrowding in their emergency departments or a high number of patients, she said. One of those hospitals had 80 people waiting for beds, she said.

And two hospitals requested ventilators, which are in low supply nationwide but the state was able to provide them, she said. She did not name the hospitals or their locations.

Murphy has secured an additional 850 ventilators from the federal government, he said Wednesday, but has requested another 1,650. And those could be "imperative," Persichilli said, if the state is unable to flatten the curve and spread out the number of critical cases over time to ease the strain on the hospitals.

The Health Department projects half of COVID-19 patients will require ventilators, but Persichilli said she expects that figure to increase.

Coronavirus surge begins: NJ looking for refrigerated trucks for victims, more ventilators

Last edited:
LAKEWOOD - After seeing and hearing all the negativity targeting Lakewood in this novel coronavirus pandemic, a Howell man decided to take a drive and see for himself.

"I said, let me find out the truth for my neighbors and friends," said Perlowitz. "I wanted to do complete honest reporting. If places were open, I would say that places are open."

Since Murphy's restrictions took effect two weeks ago, police and public officials have highlighted about a half-dozen instances in town where people gathered in numbers that appeared to violate Murphy's orders, but officials said those incidents were the exception in this densely packed town of some 103,000 people.

Lakewood has been the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Ocean County. As of Tuesday, 438 coronavirus cases were linked to the town, about 40 percent of all cases in the county. The Lakewood Vaad confirmed Tuesday that six rabbis in town had died from COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

Coronavirus in Lakewood: the pandemic has 'changed the way we live and celebrate'

Here’s why large gatherings keep happening in Lakewood, as the coronavirus rages in N.J.

Coronavirus in Lakewood: Facebook Live Discussion

Last edited:
LAKEWOOD - Rabbi Zeev Rothschild, a beloved Lakewood figure, died Wednesday morning due to COVID-19 complications, town leaders confirmed. He was 62.

"I lost a dear friend and Lakewood has lost a giant figure who helped everybody who needed him," Moshe Zev Weisberg said, his voice breaking over the phone. "There are many, many stories of how he would help husbands and wives solve their issues."

In describing him, Weisberg used the Hebrew word kodosh, which means holy or saintly.

"He was a humble servant, not only of the Jewish community, but of anyone who he saw was in need. When he saw a problem, he would jump right into it quiet and unassuming," he said.

Rothschild was the founder and owner of NPGS, a local food co-op with two locations, one in Lakewood and one in Jackson.

"He was a humble, quiet, unassuming giant of a human being who lived only to help others," Rabbi Aaron Kotler told the Press. "He was a beloved fixture of Lakewood with a heart of gold."

His levaya, or funeral, will be broadcast via zoom at 6 p.m. Minutes after it began, there were 500 people already signed in.

Coronavirus in Lakewood: NPGS food co-op founder dies from COVID-19 complications

The coronavirus stimulus package is going to send much-needed relief to Americans.

There’s an added benefit for seniors who take annual Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) from their retirement accounts.

You’re not going to have to take your 2020 RMD.

That’s going to be a big help for people’s portfolios, allowing them to stay invested and hopefully not lock in losses.

Congress has done this before. RMDs were suspended for tax year 2009 during the financial crisis.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-09-09.pdf

Normally, those who are 72 and older (it was 70 1/2 before the SECURE Act) must take mandatory distributions from IRAs, 401(k)s and other retirement plans by Dec. 31, otherwise they’d face a hefty penalty worth 50% of what was supposed to be withdrawn.

Those who have inherited IRAs also have to take annual distributions, but the stimulus law suspends those withdrawals, too.

If you’ve already taken your RMD for 2020, you can actually put it back or roll it into a new IRA if it’s within a 60-day period without facing taxes and penalties. It’s unclear if the IRS will extend that window for all RMDs taken in 2020.

Here’s another benefit for seniors from the coronavirus stimulus bill

Four neighboring municipalities are using their police forces to jointly patrol borders to enforce Gov. Phil Murphy’s stay at home order put into place to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Police in Newark, Orange, East Orange and Irvington will stop drivers to ask where they’re going. Drivers will face summonses if they are violating the governor’s order, which bans travel for all New Jersey residents except for necessary purposes like grocery shopping, doctor visits or for essential work.

The new initiative, announced last night by each municipality’s mayor, will be re-evaluated April 7 to see if it should continue.

Building inspectors will be sent to collect signed compliance statements from owners of senior citizen buildings confirming they sanitized three times a day. The inspectors will cite owners for “appropriate legal action” if they are not in compliance, the cities announced.

Cops in 4 N.J. cities set up border patrols to enforce coronavirus restrictions

Horribly, as we all know, the virus is not going to pause at a state border and decide not to invade there.

I'm a New Yorker. Yes, we are the epicenter. I have not stepped foot out of my apartment in weeks. I have enough of what I need to last another two weeks and I'm trying to order groceries online. There's no way out of this except to STAY HOME.

It's only natural that NYC would be the epicenter. I've seen comments here also, where otherwise lovely WSers do not want anyone from our infected city to come to their bucolic areas. That makes all the sense in the world. But you know what? We don't want the virus, either, but because we are NYC, people from every country in the entire world came here, and gave this virus to us. Now we have to play the hand we've been dealt, and stay home if we are not essential workers.

I have family in Jersey and Florida. In Florida, the lockdown is determined by each county, and too many Floridians are going about their business without taking enough precautions. The elderly, not just spring breakers.

IMO this whole country should be on the strictest lockdown possible. My heart breaks for those whose incomes have been jeopardized, but young people without underlying conditions are dying, too. There is no other way. STAY HOME!

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has announced he will be issuing a stay-at-home order for the state amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Florida Governor DeSantis announces statewide stay-at-home order

LAKEWOOD - After seeing and hearing all the negativity targeting Lakewood in this novel coronavirus pandemic, a Howell man decided to take a drive and see for himself.

"I said, let me find out the truth for my neighbors and friends," said Perlowitz. "I wanted to do complete honest reporting. If places were open, I would say that places are open."

Since Murphy's restrictions took effect two weeks ago, police and public officials have highlighted about a half-dozen instances in town where people gathered in numbers that appeared to violate Murphy's orders, but officials said those incidents were the exception in this densely packed town of some 103,000 people.

Lakewood has been the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Ocean County. As of Tuesday, 438 coronavirus cases were linked to the town, about 40 percent of all cases in the county. The Lakewood Vaad confirmed Tuesday that six rabbis in town had died from COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

Coronavirus in Lakewood: the pandemic has 'changed the way we live and celebrate'

Here’s why large gatherings keep happening in Lakewood, as the coronavirus rages in N.J.

Murphy needs to call in the national guard. Are there any other hot spots in New Jersey? Bergen County under control?

upcoming Jewish holidays:
Pesach Apr 9-16 - Passover, the Feast of Unleavened Bread

Last edited:
Four neighboring municipalities are using their police forces to jointly patrol borders to enforce Gov. Phil Murphy’s stay at home order put into place to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Police in Newark, Orange, East Orange and Irvington will stop drivers to ask where they’re going. Drivers will face summonses if they are violating the governor’s order, which bans travel for all New Jersey residents except for necessary purposes like grocery shopping, doctor visits or for essential work.

The new initiative, announced last night by each municipality’s mayor, will be re-evaluated April 7 to see if it should continue.

Building inspectors will be sent to collect signed compliance statements from owners of senior citizen buildings confirming they sanitized three times a day. The inspectors will cite owners for “appropriate legal action” if they are not in compliance, the cities announced.

Cops in 4 N.J. cities set up border patrols to enforce coronavirus restrictions

Those cities are in Essex County, that'll be next for all counties. We were scolded today in a text from the Ocean County Sheriff:

"We continue to see far too much traffic on the roadways. Please refrain from driving unless it is for work, food, gas or water.

Adam Schlesinger of New Jersey pop-rock band Fountains of Wayne has died of coronavirus complications.

Schlesinger, 52, who grew up in Montclair, died Wednesday morning, April 1, Variety reported Wednesday evening.

Schlesinger had been hospitalized in upstate New York for more than a week, his longtime attorney Josh Grier told Variety in a story posted Tuesday morning.

Best known for the 2003 smash single "Stacy's Mom," Fountains of Wayne were nominated for two Grammy awards. The band's most recent album, "Sky Full of Holes," was released in 2011.

"I think part of the reason we still exist is because we're so slow between records. ... We tend to put out a record every three to four years and then do some touring and then we get away from each other for a while," Schlesinger told the Asbury Park Press in 2011. "It's always a nice thing to come back to, but it definitely doesn't feel like that much time has elapsed. I feel pretty much like the same guy."

Best known for the 2003 smash single "Stacy's Mom," Fountains of Wayne were nominated for two Grammys. The band's most recent album, "Sky Full of Holes," was released in 2011.

The band’s Jersey roots extend to its name, taken from a statuary store on Route 46 in Wayne. In 1996, the same year the band released its self-titled debut album, Schlesinger contributed the Oscar- and Golden Globe-nominated title song to the Tom Hanks rock ’n’ roll comedy “That Thing You Do.”

Schlesinger was also a three-time Emmy winner thanks to his songwriting work on "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" and the Tony Awards. Schlesinger won his only Grammy to date in 2009 in the Best Comedy Album category for his contributions to "A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!"

On the Broadway stage, Schlesinger earned a Tony Award nomination for Best Original Score for 2008’s “Cry-Baby” and contributed music to the play “An Act of God.”

He wrote the music and co-wrote the lyrics with Sarah Silverman for Silverman and Joshua Harmon’s upcoming musical “The Bedwetter,” which had been slated to start previews off-Broadway at Atlantic Theater Company later this month.

Adam Schlesinger of NJ's Fountains of Wayne dies from coronavirus complications

NEW JERSEY

Murphy Talks, Numbers, Ventilators, Field Hospitals, and "Knucklehead Parties" at Briefing Today

The state will open three field hospitals, including one at the Meadowlands, another in Edison, and a third in South Jersey.

Murphy was buoyed by the 3,611 responses to his call for retirees with medical experience to volunteer to fight the virus. He also put out another earnest call for volunteers. <- VOLUNTEER HERE

Murphy was emphatic about his desire to "tighten the screws" and "raise the price they would pay" on those New Jerseyans who fail to obey his directives against parties and gatherings of large groups.

Murphy also noted some changes to the isolations and restrictions in New Jersey :
  • Breweries and micro-breweries in the state can now provide home deliveries
  • Auto dealers can conduct online and remote sales
  • Firearm retailers are open by appointment only
  • Realtors may operate on a one-to-one basis with no open houses.
  • Golf courses are closed
Murphy concluded, "We are not an average state. This is New Jersey. We are a special place. We can crush the top of that curve. No more knucklehead parties. We have to stay home. We are New Jersey. We can do this. We must do this."

Last edited:

sorry but I think Boruch Perlowitz is probably biased in his assessment of Lakewood. Jmo

Murphy needs to call in the national guard. Are there any other hot spots in New Jersey? Bergen County under control?

upcoming Jewish holidays:
Pesach Apr 9-16 - Passover, the Feast of Unleavened Bread

If the issue in Lakewood is that people are unaware of the situation due to lack of communication with the rest of society (I.e. internet, radio, work, etc), then the rabbis need to find a way to publicly broadcast what is going on, and inform residents to stay in their homes and not have weddings and social gatherings. Jmo

Eta - by publicly broadcast I mean literally drive down the street with a megaphone if that what it takes. This is such a serious situation!

Last edited:
LAKEWOOD - Fifteen people have been charged after attending a funeral Wednesday that was in violation of the statewide social distancing order put in place during the COVID-19 pandemic, police said.

Police responded to the funeral at the corner of 8th Street and Madison Avenue around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday and found a group of about 60 to 70 people gathered for the funeral, according to a joint statement from Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley D. Billhimer and township Police Chief Gregory Meyer.

When police tried to break up the crowd, people in attendance became "unruly and argumentative" and officers from the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office and Ocean County Sherrif's office had to be called in to assist in dispersing the crowd, according to the statement.

As police collected names of the funeral attendees, one individual refused to identify himself and gave police a fake name and social security number. After several unsuccessful attempts to identify the man, he was placed under arrest, according to the statement.

He was later identified as Samuel Manheim, 27, of Brooklyn, New York and charged with hindering his own apprehension and violating any rule or regulation adopted by the governor during a state of emergency, according to the statement.

At the time of the funeral, there were 450 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 virus in Lakewood and 1,256 in Ocean County.

On March 21 Gov. Phil Murphy signed Executive Order No. 107, which banned gatherings of individuals, whether they be at weddings, parties, celebrations, or other social events including funerals.

"To be blunt, ignoring the Governor’s Order places lives at risk – not just the lives of everyday citizens, but the lives of our brave men and women in law enforcement who are required to respond in order to break up these unlawful gatherings," Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley Billhimer said in the statement.

The following individuals were also charged with violating the executive order:
( posted in link )

Since the governor's executive order went into effect there have been several incidents in the township where police have had to disperse crowds and make arrests of people not adhering to social distancing rules.
Coronavirus in Lakewood: 15 charged for attending Wednesday evening funeral

Last edited:
As New Jersey workers file record-shattering numbers of claims for unemployment insurance, the state Department of Labor said that there "have been no substantive issues" with filing claims or certifying benefits.

"We continue to successfully receive thousands of claims per hour," said Angela Delli Santi, spokesperson for the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. "For applicants who are notified that they must speak with an agent, which can happen for many reasons including missing information on their application, it will take longer to process their claim, as we deal -- as quickly as possible -- with the record volume of claims. Applicants whose claims have no issues are receiving their unemployment benefits within a couple of weeks."

But readers are reporting frustration and issues over the last week, emailing the USA TODAY NETWORK New Jersey for help as in-person centers have closed and unemployment phone lines are jammed up. In the past two weeks, more than 360,000 submitted new claims. Put into perspective, that's about three-fourths of the entire total of weekly claims New Jerseyans submitted in all of 2019.

More info in link
NJ says there are no substantive issues with unemployment claims. Our readers say differently

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back