New leads in search for missing baby Lisa Irwin

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You say you disagree then your first 2 sentences say just about the same thing i had said. So are you trying to tell me that millions of people weren't grieving when MJ died I would say I think so . Was Miss Johnston grieving when her dog ran away well if you were to ask her i bet she would say ya ..Im In Canada were people grieving when the canucks lost the stanley cup yes they were . You can't just Limit a word to have one meaning because thier are lot's of different ways that people do things and feel things.Grieving can be said and meant in many different ways not just death .

People grieve for more than just death. Grieving is a deep sorrow for someone/thing lost and or not possible. I would like it to the opposite of Celebrating...some others wouldn't. We, as individual people, can certainly decide if we feel we are able to grieve over something besides death. It's a word...a strong word that means suffering greatly...having your child stolen would certainly cause grief!

Dictionary.com

to feel grief or great sorrow: She has grieved over his death for nearly three years.
Camp Euclid - Math Camp

to distress mentally; cause to feel grief or sorrow: It grieves me to see you so unhappy.

Synonyms
1. lament, weep, bewail, bemoan; suffer. Grieve, mourn imply showing suffering caused by sorrow. Grieve is the stronger word, implying deep mental suffering often endured alone and in silence but revealed by one's aspect: to grieve over the loss (or death ) of a friend. Mourn usually refers to manifesting sorrow outwardly, either with or without sincerity: to mourn publicly and wear black. 2. sadden, pain.

JMO, but what words they chose to use the last time they spoke are the least of what bothers me about these parents...

Sometimes people can grieve about things that aren't permanent like death of a loved one. It's about the suffering that one feels with the lose of or injury to something dear and important to them.

Examples of GRIEVE

It grieves me to see my brother struggling like this.
Her decision to live overseas grieved her mother.
In these examples, the brother can overcome his struggles in life, and the daughter could come back to her mother from living overseas.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grieve

You say you disagree then your first 2 sentences say just about the same thing i had said. So are you trying to tell me that millions of people weren't grieving when MJ died I would say I think so . Was Miss Johnston grieving when her dog ran away well if you were to ask her i bet she would say ya ..Im In Canada were people grieving when the canucks lost the stanley cup yes they were . You can't just Limit a word to have one meaning because thier are lot's of different ways that people do things and feel things.Grieving can be said and meant in many different ways not just death .

Did you read the entire post? Yes,grieving is for many things that are losses,but ,while terrified ,I wouldn't expect the parents to have written their baby girl off so quickly. Even lying ,guilty parents usually say they are hopeful their child will be returned to them. My point was that the different things the term grieving is used for are LOSSES. If this was my child I would be hoping the baby would / could be home any minute .
I'm not an expert at all but I have taken many classes in grief and loss ( even before my son died) because I was a foster parent and also worked with families of children who were born with or aquired a disability. All deal with various losses.
I realize we all have different experiences that color our opinions. As a grieving mother I was rather taken aback that Deb used that term.But then,it kind of explains why the family isn't begging the public to help find their baby. They don't expect a live baby Lisa to ever return. :furious:

At first, I didn't think much of her using the word "Grieve". After thinking about it, it was an odd choice under the circumstances. She was giving grieving as the excuse she is not talking to the press. It was an excuse and it just popped out of mouth, uncensored.

I would expect her to say, "We are too upset"...but she didn't say that. She spoke of a particular feeling and time when people need to get over the death of a loved one.

This is one of the many reasons the attorneys don't want her to speak.

At first, I didn't think much of her using the word "Grieve". After thinking about it, it was an odd choice under the circumstances. She was giving grieving as the excuse she is not talking to the press. It was an excuse and it just popped out of mouth, uncensored.

I would expect her to say, "We are too upset"...but she didn't say that. She spoke of a particular feeling and time when people need to get over the death of a loved one.

It's also the way she says it. Annoyed instead of thanking the media for continuing to keep Lisa's face out there so the public can help.
Any new leads will be fiction ,I'm afraid.

I disagree. You can be grieving because someone died or is leaving you forever,because a relationship has ended or what you thought your life would be like is taken away (injury,disability,etc....). The thing is ,grieving is for a loss .What that loss is may be different,but it's still a loss.

When the mom used the term they may have been scared,anxious,out of their mind with fear ,but grieving at that point? No.Not mom,anyway.
I don't think it was a mistake . Mom knows something happened and Lisa is gone and she should be grieving.
But you know what ? Even as she said they were grieving ,she sounded angry and annoyed,not grief stricken. JMO

There are many people in this world who are not properly educated in grammar and the appropriate use of specific words. By the same token, there are many people who think they are qualified to be a judge of a person's emotions by watching 3 seconds of videotape. Unless you are a mind reader, you can't know what her emotions are.

Grieving is for a loss, yes.... but it can be applied to a temporary loss of an unknown length of time. For that moment, they did not have Lisa, and were unsure if they would ever see her again. That does not equate to KNOWING she is dead, it just means that for as long as she has been and is missing, they are grieving her loss... even if it is only temporary.

I imagine she was angry and annoyed at that moment, I think I would be feeling the same way if I had reporters in my face hurling stupid questions at me all the time.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/15863026/lisas-mother-we-are-grieving?clienttype=printable

When Jeremy Irwin and Deborah Bradley arrived back to the house on North Walrond, KCTV5's Bonyen Lee asked the parents of baby Lisa Irwin on Monday if it was true that they were getting paid to avoid local reporters.

"No, not at all," said Deborah Bradley, the mother of the missing baby.

When asked why they would not talk to local reporters, Deborah replied, "Because we are grieving."

There are many people in this world who are not properly educated in grammar and the appropriate use of specific words. By the same token, there are many people who think they are qualified to be a judge of a person's emotions by watching 3 seconds of videotape. Unless you are a mind reader, you can't know what her emotions are.

Grieving is for a loss, yes.... but it can be applied to a temporary loss of an unknown length of time. For that moment, they did not have Lisa, and were unsure if they would ever see her again. That does not equate to KNOWING she is dead, it just means that for as long as she has been and is missing, they are grieving her loss... even if it is only temporary.

I imagine she was angry and annoyed at that moment, I think I would be feeling the same way if I had reporters in my face hurling stupid questions at me all the time.
BBM
Wow,I wouldn't. I'd be so grateful they were keeping my baby's story in the news that I'd be thanking them. I'd be scared they would move on to something else and forget about my missing baby.
But if I was hiding something ,I'd be pretty annoyed the media wouldn't leave me alone.
It's the sum total of the last 3 months that lead me to my opinion ( which is why I add JMO or IMHO to my posts and /or in my signature) ,not just 3 seconds. Mom acted the same way when she discussed her drinking in an interview. And I don't need to be a mind reader to form an opinion .

Anxious to hear what the new leads are and see where that takes LE.

Capt. Young is a spokesman for the department. His job is to deal with the media. He is not a detective. He is not investigating this or any case. It would not be his job to follow up on any tips in this case. It would be his job to deal with the media on this case.

He is a captain with the dept. which means he is in a supervisory position with many years experience and training as a detective. He is very much a part of the investigation, make no mistake. He wasn't hired by the dept. just to be the spokesperson, they don't hand out a captain's rank just to sit or stand around and speak to the camera. One has to WORK to get that rank, and very few ever make it that far. Detective is a job title, btw, so while he's not actually a detective on this case, he HAS worked in that capacity and very well could be the one calling the shots as the superior to the detectives.

She probably chose that word because she thought that it would buy her time -- the press (and anyone else) would leave her alone...to "grieve". Any mother I know would be able to speak through their grief, or make some attempt, anyway, ESPECIALLY if there is still a chance your child can be returned to you. What's bigger here? Your grief, or your love for your missing child?

However, I agree, that grieving doesn't occur only when someone has died. I have grieved many circumstances.

grieve (grv)
v. grieved, griev·ing, grieves
v.tr.
1. To cause to be sorrowful; distress: It grieves me to see you in such pain.
2. To mourn or sorrow for: We grieved the death of our pastor.
3. Usage Problem To file an official or formal grievance on account of (an actual or perceived injustice).
4. Archaic To hurt or harm.
v.intr.
To experience or express grief.

JMO, it's not the word grieving that bothers me but the way the grieving supposedly makes them unable to keep their daughter's name in the local media. Many grieving parents try to do it anyway in the hopes that their child can be returned to them, alive or dead.

He is a captain with the dept. which means he is in a supervisory position with many years experience and training as a detective. He is very much a part of the investigation, make no mistake. He wasn't hired by the dept. just to be the spokesperson, they don't hand out a captain's rank just to sit or stand around and speak to the camera. One has to WORK to get that rank, and very few ever make it that far. Detective is a job title, btw, so while he's not actually a detective on this case, he HAS worked in that capacity and very well could be the one calling the shots as the superior to the detectives.

Capt. Young is very responsive and pleasant but he is not one of the detectives on the case and he is not calling the shots. The detectives have a commander. That commander would be their superior, not Capt. Young. Ultimately, Chief Forte is the ultimate person.

Dealing with the Kansas City media and other media outlets is a full-time job for three spokespeople as well as their support staff. You can become a captain and a PIO without having been a detective. I don't know how Capt. Young rose through the ranks of the KCPD whether he was a detective or not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imabrattoo
Back