New poll! How well of a job is the Zahau family attorney, Anne Bremmer, Esq doing?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

How well of a job is the Zahau family attorney, Anne Bremmer, Esq doing?

• Her services are not needed.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Fair

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Good

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Excellent

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters
I don't understand any attorney allowing evidence to be destroyed by letting the door be painted over. Maybe they feel there are photos of it that are enough.

I don't understand any attorney allowing evidence to be destroyed by letting the door be painted over. Maybe they feel there are photos of it that are enough.

I'm not sure, but I believe the door was painted over before she was involved. Anyone know for sure? Hopefully there ARE still photos. I regretfully have very little faith in SDLE now.

Why can't Anne Bremner file a writ of mandamus????

Possible... but it will take the same amount of time to go to the AG's office... it has to be written... and just as with the request to open the case... there has to be solid legal reasons...spelled out precisely

I would think she would save the writ.. as an alternative route if the AG's office refuses... even after seeing a mountain of evidence....

Isn't she on Dr. Phil this week? I hope we will find out if she has actually been given a copy of the file from SDLE.

Possible... but it will take the same amount of time to go to the AG's office... it has to be written... and just as with the request to open the case... there has to be solid legal reasons...spelled out precisely

I would think she would save the writ.. as an alternative route if the AG's office refuses... even after seeing a mountain of evidence....

Isn't she on Dr. Phil this week? I hope we will find out if she has actually been given a copy of the file from SDLE.

I heard Anne Bremner is filing the writ this week. See her facebook page.

Is RZ's case going to be on Dr Phil tonigh? Dr phil's schedule says oct 24's show is about something else. Has RZ' show been cancelled?

Is RZ's case going to be on Dr Phil tonigh? Dr phil's schedule says oct 24's show is about something else. Has RZ' show been cancelled?

I have read that it was cancelled, but that is only speculation. I will probably check the schedule today anyway.

Don't think this was posted here, but the family and AB are supposed to be on the Dr. Phil show on 10/24. Maybe she has the file and is waiting for that to reveal future plans. :waitasec:
Perhaps plans changed as a result of the following because the 10/24 show did not mention the RZ case.
[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7276582&postcount=987"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - The case for murder[/ame]

Waiting for sweeps week?

Perhaps plans changed as a result of the following because the 10/24 show did not mention the RZ case.
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - The case for murder

Waiting for sweeps week?
Ooh, I don't like Phil McGraw much since he sent a couple of "private investigators" to Mexico to look for Natalie Holloway, who was supposedly being held as a sex slave at a Sr. Frog's. Those "investigators" did report back with a truly horrifying tale of sex slavery, torture, and murder...but I'd already heard it, when one of these same "private investigators" told it to the other Phil, on a different talk show, 20 years before. Remember Phil (is the caller there?) Donahue?

Phil McGraw surely knew that Natalie Holloway wasn't a sex slave at Sr. Frogs, and I believe he also knew the truth behind his "investigators" report - and still he broadcast it to the public, as well as to the family of Natalie Holloway, as having resulted from the search Natalie. That wasn't nice at all.

I'm glad Rebecca's remains will be analyzed again, but I wish almost anybody else was responsible for doing it. Phil creeps me out. MOO

Thanks for the link! I heard the more comprehensive audio entitled "Dr. Cyril Wecht Talks About Second Autopsy" in the second link next to Rebecca Zahau's photo. I have transcribed the full audio interview here as I find what Dr. Wecht said fascinating both about the the autopsy process and the law. I bolded his statements which I found most intriguing.

Here's my full transcript of the AUDIO:

Dr. Wecht: Well, I was told, I was contacted by the Dr. Phil people and I was told that possibly in fact first they talked about it later this month. Then they talked about it in November. And I've not heard back with the definite time from them either. I'm, you know, waiting for the finalization of this. Number one, are they going to do it? Number two, when? Number 3, where?

Interviewer: So you haven't been told that this is happening in the next couple of days?

Dr. Wecht: It's not definite. I need to hear from them.

Interviewer: Can you tell me what you will look for if it does happen?

Dr. Wecht: If it does happen, obviously, I'm going to be, I do second autopsies a dozen times a year. I look, starting you know as if it's for the first time, look at the body externally, very carefully, you know, look for any evidence of you know, injury. Then examine the organs and tissues. Then take pieces for microscopic examination, and so on. The passage of these two weeks will not have caused these to be dissipated. There will be some changes of coloration, but what was described in the original autopsy, particularly regarding four separate subscalpular hemorrhages, they will still be present. Embalming and the passage of time will not have caused those hemorrhages to go away. They will still be anatomically identifiable - both grossly - that is to the naked eye - and microscopically - taking pieces of tissue to study under the microscope.

Interviewer: Dr. Wecht, can you tell me have you have received any additional information from the coroner's office or is it still just the autopsy we're going off of?

Dr. Wecht: I have no additional information from the coroner's office. I have only the original autopsy report. I do not have any other information from them directly or from anybody else as an intermediary.

Interviewer: Obviously you'd like to get photographs and whatever they have, right?

Dr. Wecht: Yes, I would like to see photographs. Absolutely. That would be important. And I wish that I had them. I would think eventually I shall have the opportunity to study those that they will be made available. Let me say this. To use the old trite axiom - you can't have your cake and eat it too. If it is a pending investigation of an undetermined nature, whatever they're suspecting then I'm well aware that records and information are not given out and I know the way the game is played by coroners, medical examiners, detectives, police agencies, etcetera. But once you've signed the case out as suicide, which they have done, that's the end of it! They can not say it's a suicide but we're not going to give information to the family because it's a finished case! Once you make a determination that's it. If it's a homicide then that's a different matter because you may be looking at a trial or if it's a pending case, pending further investigation, that's a different matter. But if you say that it's a suicide, or an accident, or a natural death, that's the end of it for you. You have no more involvement officially in the case. I want to make that very clear. You have no legal right to continue to retain information and materials and things like that. It does not belong to you. None of that does.

Dr. Wecht maybe correct about this particular case files and suicide ruling but not true in other cases. Just because a case is ruled a suicide by a medical examiner the investigating agency could still feel a case is murder, which would prevent the records from being released.

Thanks for the link! I heard the more comprehensive audio entitled "Dr. Cyril Wecht Talks About Second Autopsy" in the second link next to Rebecca Zahau's photo. I have transcribed the full audio interview here as I find what Dr. Wecht said fascinating both about the the autopsy process and the law. I bolded his statements which I found most intriguing.

Here's my full transcript of the AUDIO:

Dr. Wecht: Well, I was told, I was contacted by the Dr. Phil people and I was told that possibly in fact first they talked about it later this month. Then they talked about it in November. And I've not heard back with the definite time from them either. I'm, you know, waiting for the finalization of this. Number one, are they going to do it? Number two, when? Number 3, where?

Interviewer: So you haven't been told that this is happening in the next couple of days?

Dr. Wecht: It's not definite. I need to hear from them.

Interviewer: Can you tell me what you will look for if it does happen?

Dr. Wecht: If it does happen, obviously, I'm going to be, I do second autopsies a dozen times a year. I look, starting you know as if it's for the first time, look at the body externally, very carefully, you know, look for any evidence of you know, injury. Then examine the organs and tissues. Then take pieces for microscopic examination, and so on. The passage of these two weeks will not have caused these to be dissipated. There will be some changes of coloration, but what was described in the original autopsy, particularly regarding four separate subscalpular hemorrhages, they will still be present. Embalming and the passage of time will not have caused those hemorrhages to go away. They will still be anatomically identifiable - both grossly - that is to the naked eye - and microscopically - taking pieces of tissue to study under the microscope.

Interviewer: Dr. Wecht, can you tell me have you have received any additional information from the coroner's office or is it still just the autopsy we're going off of?

Dr. Wecht: I have no additional information from the coroner's office. I have only the original autopsy report. I do not have any other information from them directly or from anybody else as an intermediary.

Interviewer: Obviously you'd like to get photographs and whatever they have, right?

Dr. Wecht: Yes, I would like to see photographs. Absolutely. That would be important. And I wish that I had them. I would think eventually I shall have the opportunity to study those that they will be made available. Let me say this. To use the old trite axiom - you can't have your cake and eat it too. If it is a pending investigation of an undetermined nature, whatever they're suspecting then I'm well aware that records and information are not given out and I know the way the game is played by coroners, medical examiners, detectives, police agencies, etcetera. But once you've signed the case out as suicide, which they have done, that's the end of it! They can not say it's a suicide but we're not going to give information to the family because it's a finished case! Once you make a determination that's it. If it's a homicide then that's a different matter because you may be looking at a trial or if it's a pending case, pending further investigation, that's a different matter. But if you say that it's a suicide, or an accident, or a natural death, that's the end of it for you. You have no more involvement officially in the case. I want to make that very clear. You have no legal right to continue to retain information and materials and things like that. It does not belong to you. None of that does.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=296567563689700&id=179843258695465

Anne Bremner
Several of you have been wondering how the Rebecca Zahau case is progressing. Over a month ago we were told we would get the police reports in 7-10 days. We have received nothing! We need those to make our request for an independent investigation to the AG.

Andrea D Brower Anne: That's not right why are they not producing the info you and family need, and can you supeanea them to?

• Anne Bremner We may have to take action. This is so upsetting to Rebecca's family. They just want answers. There are so many unanswered questions.

• Andrea D Brower Do you think there has been a "payoff" that is why the police are so adamnt about her death being a suicide,and not wanting to open investigation? Her husband was a millionare...just seems like someone is intentionally keeping the truth to be told, I know that's reaching a bit.....just seems to fit tho...

WOW I wish someone from the media would ASK LE why they say they are going to hand it over and then didn't... ASTOUNDING... :furious: I remember there was an actual quote from the officer involved to a local reporter saying they would hand it over in 7-10 days. No wonder Dr Wecht was so annoyed. What in the world is stopping SDLE from doing what was promised? I sure want answers from SDLE.. what are they waiting for? They know the longer they wait the more evidence can be destroyed... like the furniture being removed from the house!!! SHAME!!!

Dr. Wecht maybe correct about this particular case files and suicide ruling but not true in other cases. Just because a case is ruled a suicide by a medical examiner the investigating agency could still feel a case is murder, which would prevent the records from being released.

I think you've misread Dr. Wecht's statements. What he is asserting is that if an investigation [by LE] is still pending, then records, files, etc. will not be given out. But once you've [LE] signed the case out as suicide, which they [meaning LE and ME in Rebecca Zahau's case] have done, that's the end of it!

I've bolded the relevant statements of Dr. Wecht below.

According to Anne's Facebook she WILL file a Mandamus this week. Now... is it to force SDLE to turn over the files as promised or to the AG's office to have the case re-opened?

So did SDLE decide to FORCE her hand without giving up the file? It is like two sides calling each other's bluff and won't show their cards. SDLE won't hand over the file although they are legally obligated to according to Dr. Wecht.... and Anne does not want to file with the AG"s office with the information she has unless she can review the file. Of course she is going to want to speak directly to information in the case file in her legal filing. How can you properly review and thoroughly go over the case without the CASE FILE.

If SDLE doesn't hand over the case and forces Anne to file a writ they get to see the information and then turn around on their own to re-open the case? I don't like this kind of playing games. Not returning the families calls, not handing over the file as they said they would. They seem to be more interested in protecting their reputation than letting the law take it's due course.

As far as SDLE goes..why not stay completely open and welcome the information that Anne has and be co-operative with her and the experts? A true professional can be open to opposing points of view and admit their mistakes and move forward. This should be about justice and not their egos.

I didn't misread his statement; I said he may be right on this particular case as far as his comments because the SDSO followed the ME's ruling. There are two departments involved here jurisdictionally - has the City signed off on suicide or just gave a thumbs up to the SDSO which doesn't imply anything?

I think you've misread Dr. Wecht's statements. What he is asserting is that if an investigation [by LE] is still pending, then records, files, etc. will not be given out. But once you've [LE] signed the case out as suicide, which they [meaning LE and ME in Rebecca Zahau's case] have done, that's the end of it!

According to Anne's Facebook she WILL file a Mandamus this week. Now... is it to force SDLE to turn over the files as promised or to the AG's office to have the case re-opened?

So did SDLE decide to FORCE her hand without giving up the file? It is like two sides calling each other's bluff and won't show their cards. SDLE won't hand over the file although they are legally obligated to according to Dr. Wecht.... and Anne does not want to file with the AG"s office with the information she has unless she can review the file. Of course she is going to want to speak directly to information in the case file in her legal filing. How can you properly review and thoroughly go over the case without the CASE FILE.

If SDLE doesn't hand over the case and forces Anne to file a writ they get to see the information and then turn around on their own to re-open the case? I don't like this kind of playing games. Not returning the families calls, not handing over the file as they said they would. They seem to be more interested in protecting their reputation than letting the law take it's due course.

As far as SDLE goes..why not stay completely open and welcome the information that Anne has and be co-operative with her and the experts? A true professional can be open to opposing points of view and admit their mistakes and move forward. This should be about justice and not their egos.

I agree. SDLE is playing hard ball.

I think Atty. Bremner's mandamus action is to force SDLE to hand out investigative files only. She's not ready to ask AG to reopen case; she doesn't have sufficient evidence yet.

I didn't misread his statement; I said he may be right on this particular case as far as his comments because the SDSO followed the ME's ruling. There are two departments involved here jurisdictionally - has the City signed off on suicide or just gave a thumbs up to the SDSO which doesn't imply anything?

I can't clarify it any more than I had above. What you had stated in your first post is the same as what Dr. Wecht stated during interview.

I don't know what other explanation is there other than there are things in those records LE doesn't want people to see. Otherwise, why haven't they hand them over?

The lawyer representing the family of Rebecca Zahau, who was found hanging naked at Jonah Shacknai's mansion, is in talks over a book on the high-profile case.
…
Ms Bremner, who has a history of adapting her high profile cases into books, has been in recent talks with a literary agent and a crime author, according to a report by ABC News.
Ann Rule, the author of 32 non-fiction books about homicide and other crimes, told ABC News that she recently met with Ms Bremner and discussed the possibility of writing a book about the Zahau family
Ms Rule said: 'The probability of writing a book about the Zahaus, however, is about '50/50 -– if charges were brought. It's a difficult thing because the little boy's father is very, very wealthy so for legal reasons it's kind of a mine field.'
Ms Bremner said she is 'a huge fan' of Ms Rule, adding, 'I believe Ann can help us find the answers that we seek.'
The Zahua family and Ms Bremner have established two websites about Miss Zahau, one of which asks for donations and is overseen by literary manager Sharlene Martin of Martin Literary Management in Seattle.
Ms Martin told ABC News there is no Zahau book currently in the works, but if there was her agency would handle it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Shacknai-mansion-hanging-case-plans-book.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mygrowingbranches
Back