New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know at least one poster earlier in this thread wondered when his trouble with women would be revealed

In Brenton Harrison Tarrant’s Australian hometown, his relatives remember violent video games, trouble with women

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...?utm_term=.1603e657e82b&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

"In Australian media, a picture began to emerge of a young man who grew up with computers as his best friends, lost in a world of violent video games, uncomfortable around girls. "

...“He spent most of his time on computers, and learning the in and outs of computers, and playing games on computers,” she told 9News.

“I don’t think girlfriends were on the agenda — he said getting married was too hard.”

Fitzgerald said Tarrant’s father death in 2010 took its toll."

WP headline

In Brenton Harrison Tarrant’s Australian hometown, his relatives remember violent video games, trouble with women

“Trouble with women”

What his family member actually said.

Tarrant spent his high school years in Grafton and was often on his computer, said Fitzgerald, his grandmother.

“He spent most of his time on computers, and learning the in and outs of computers, and playing games on computers,” she told 9News.

“I don’t think girlfriends were on the agenda — he said getting married was too hard.”

How is that, trouble with women?

Msm makes up chit.

WP headline

“Trouble with women”

What his family member actually said.

Tarrant spent his high school years in Grafton and was often on his computer, said Fitzgerald, his grandmother.

“He spent most of his time on computers, and learning the in and outs of computers, and playing games on computers,” she told 9News.

How is that, trouble with women?

Msm makes up chit.

IMO, saying "getting married was too hard" is something that an incel might say. They find it hard to find a woman who will be with them

Jacinda Ardern’s words seem pretty unequivocal:

"We should not be perpetuating, sharing, giving any oxygen to this act of violence and the message that sat behind it"
"We should not share, spread, or actively engage in that message of hate".

Seems like the shooter’s 74 page manifesto is his message, therefore it should not be spread...to take any other interpretation of her words is splitting hairs.

If you want to read it, I’m sure you can find it.
The entire quote is about the video.. Ardern, speaking in Wellington following a briefing from police and national security staff, asked that the video not be shared.
"We should not be perpetuating, sharing, giving any oxygen to this act of violence and the message that sat behind it", Ardern said.
"We should not share, spread, or actively engage in that message of hate".
Ardern said she had been given assurances that social media platforms were working to remove the footage.
"I just ask people - don't share them."

What surprised me was how long it took LE to respond. He must have been on scene at least 6 minutes. Walking to and from his vehicle twice, dressed in combat gear and carrying guns.

It was 7 minutes between the first and last shots at one of the mosques. He was arrested shortly after the shooting. How could that be considered a long time to respond and make an arrest?

This timeline of the Christchurch mosque terror attacks shows how New Zealand's deadliest shooting unfolded, leaving 49 dead

SFFBM

At 1:40 p.m. local time on Friday, the gunman enters the Al Noor mosque and opens fire.
In total, the attack lasts around 6 minutes. At 1:46 p.m. he gets back in his car, and drives towards his second target.

At 1:55 p.m., police confirm they are responding to a "critical incident". The gunman is gone by the time they arrive.

It is not clear how long the gunman spent travelling between the two. The drive between the two usually takes around 10 minutes.

Around 2:20 p.m.: The suspected gunman is dragged out of his car by police and arrested on a road around 6 minutes drive from the second mosque. The arrest was filmed.

Restricting public behavior is more about controlling the population and expanding the power of the government.

If expanding the power of the elected government means that people in prayer are not so easily shot, then it is in the best interests of society to modify law.

Actually, is modifying law the same as "expanding the power of the government" or is it the role of the government to modify law and ensure public safety?

I don't think anyone needs to watch a video to know that it would be easy to kill unarmed people engaged in prayer.

Are you thinking that one of his "inconvenient truths" is that he is like Nelson Mandela and will be awarded the Nobel Peace prize?

There is a big difference between thinking it would be easy and actually watching it occur as it did in real time via livestream, like you're watching a video game. That is very powerful imagery.

"Are you thinking that one of his "inconvenient truths" is that he is like Nelson Mandela and will be awarded the Nobel Peace prize?"

:D No

^^^^ this!

I've asked it before on other threads and never really had an answer. I understand people having rifles or whatever for hunting, but beyond that I have no idea what the appeal or function is.
Automatic weapons are illegal in nearly all countries except Brazil, Canada (antique weapons), Estonia, Iceland, Iraq, New Zealand, Poland, Switzerland, US (antique weapons), Uruguay, Yemen. In countries like Canada and US, they are for antique historical collecting and take quite the background check. They're collectors items in most countries. They're not very useful in target shooting and illegal for hunting in most countries in my opinion. Although I don't think they've been used much in crimes, at least in the US and Canada. Were they used in the Charlie Hebdo newpaper in France attack?

There is a big difference between thinking it would be easy and actually watching it occur as it did in real time via livestream, like you're watching a video game. That is very powerful imagery.

I watched the bit on the news sites after the story broke and that is exactly what I thought....it is like watching a video game. Making the visual connection makes it very palpable.

CNN said it "has a video-game aesthetic."

"Are you thinking that one of his "inconvenient truths" is that he is like Nelson Mandela and will be awarded the Nobel Peace prize?"

:D No

Anyone who wants to know how easy it is to kill unarmed people can look at WW2 footage where people were routinely lined up in front of a wall and shot. The same thing happened under Napoleon and in many other wars, and this scene is depicted in movies over and over again.

Maybe the reason that the footage should not be shared is because the family of victims are further traumatized by the footage. What if a family of one of the victims was watching Sky News Australia and saw their father, brother, sister or child shot one or more times? That is a very good reason to stop sharing the footage.

Automatic weapons are illegal in nearly all countries except Brazil, Canada (antique weapons), Estonia, Iceland, Iraq, New Zealand, Poland, Switzerland, US (antique weapons), Uruguay, Yemen. In countries like Canada and US, they are for antique historical collecting and take quite the background check. They're collectors items in most countries. They're not very useful in target shooting and illegal for hunting in most countries in my opinion. Although I don't think they've been used much in crimes, at least in the US and Canada. Were they used in the Charlie Hebdo newpaper in France attack?

The guns used in the massacre were semi-automatic weapons that could shoot 7 bullets. After the guns were modified, they could hold a larger magazine. Semi-automatic weapons that hold the larger magazine are restricted in New Zealand, but magazine purchase is not.

If expanding the power of the elected government means that people in prayer are not so easily shot, then it is in the best interests of society to modify law.

Actually, is modifying law the same as "expanding the power of the government" or is it the role of the government to modify law and ensure public safety?
What happens when that law is "modified" to ban houses of worship? That, too, would ensure people in prayer are not shot since they are not en masse.

Anyone who wants to know how easy it is to kill unarmed people can look at WW2 footage where people were routinely lined up in front of a wall and shot.

RSBM. That's kind of comparing apples to oranges though. Not remotely the same situation.

But I agree that during wartime it is very easy to kill unarmed people, which is exactly the reason why I will fight to keep my guns.

What happens when that law is "modified" to ban houses of worship? That, too, would ensure people in prayer are not shot since they are not en masse.

That's been done before, but that is not the current debate in New Zealand.

If the debate was about preventing people from gathering in groups, then wouldn't schools be closed as well?

It was 7 minutes between the first and last shots at one of the mosques. He was arrested shortly after the shooting. How could that be considered a long time to respond and make an arrest?
And when the police arrived at the mosque, the killer is already at the second mosque shooting. The police try their best, but there is no changing the fact that they cannot make it to a crime scene until they are informed and travel to the scene. Six minutes was an eternity to the innocents in the mosque. What a monster.

If the debate was about preventing people from gathering in groups, then wouldn't schools be closed as well?
If the gov't is powerful enough to close churches, then they could close schools. I thought it was about gov't expanding laws to create more power over the population.

RSBM. That's kind of comparing apples to oranges though. Not remotely the same situation.

But I agree that during wartime it is very easy to kill unarmed people, which is exactly the reason why I will fight to keep my guns.

That is why we need to look at law that is appropriate for individual countries. In New Zealand, the current debate is about restriction on gun magazine sales. It has nothing to do with what people in the USA want to do with guns.

BBM.

The debate? I assume you're referring to the newly announced ban? You say debate as though you're even being given the chance to debate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en