GUILTY New Zealand - Dr. Lauren Dickason, 40, charged w/killing her 3 young daughters, Timaru, 16 Sep 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
July '24
'Justice Cameron Mander last Wednesday said her mental health issues were a factor in her not being locked up for life.

He said the 'systematic and methodical' approach to the brutal murders reflected Dickason's belief that the girls were 'better off dead'.

"Systematic and methodical approach" almost hints at her conditions. If anyone asks AI to find what two conditions in women are linked to systematic thinking, the results will pop up.

I really don’t know where I stand with this one. I am generally sympathetic when mothers experience significant psychiatric illness and kill their children for genuinely altruistic but distorted beliefs (need to save them).
I do believe that Lauren has mental illness but think perhaps she killed to save herself rather than save her children. I think she was experiencing severe depression and couldn’t see a way out and decided to blot it all out and thought the children were better off dying than living without her.
Will be watching space re appeal.

- I think she had serious mental illness, for a long time
- I suspect it was way more than just depression
- IMHO, Lauren's perfectionism didn't help her treatment. She understood that she felt unwell, but any diagnosis would have made her less than perfect, in her own eyes - JMO. So, her insight into her condition was poor to start with, and stopping the medication to emigrate to NZ would have exacerbated things
- ideally, not just citalopram or ciratopram and whatever else, but intensive therapy was mandatory. Not sure she could have gotten it in SA. But, she can still benefit from it
- I am concerned about her high risk for suicide
- she is a doctor, so any "helper's" role for adults during her imprisonment/treatment might help

Last edited:
She may be eligible for parole in 6 years, and if so then what? Will she be deported back to South Africa? I can't see New Zealand wanting to keep her at their expense for any longer than they have to.

After parole, they should keep her wherever her risk of self-harm would be lower. Would it be SA, where she will have support of her family and friends, but also, all memories? Or would it be NZ, maybe not Timaru, but some other place, where she could get some peace by helping others? Everything needs to be taken into account.

After parole, they should keep her wherever her risk of self-harm would be lower. Would it be SA, where she will have support of her family and friends, but also, all memories? Or would it be NZ, maybe not Timaru, but some other place, where she could get some peace by helping others? Everything needs to be taken into account.
I’d prefer to see her sent back to South Africa.
Keeping her here serves no useful purpose, just cost the country many more dollars, i think she has already had hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal aid.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CouchdetectiveC
Back