Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see the point of pleading not-guilty when it is clearly obvious he is. He's only going to get more time inside as a result. I can only assume he has a plausable case or he really is not guilty. Honesty is the best policy.

Will be interesting the see what happens when the court case commences.

I remember opening a link when the man was arrested, which specified that the man's name was suppressed - and his name was in the hyperlink. Oops. Can't recall which publication that was now.

<modsnipped reddit information and comments are not allowed here>
More info, not released apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would they keep name suppression? Especially when it was denied originally

Exactly

The Judge did not give a decision on the spot. When the decision is reserved this means the Judge has gone away to author a reasoned written judgement where all the facts will be set out, legal arguments considered and then a ruling made.

Obvious name suppression continues until then as we don't yet know which way the Judge will rule!

It is not unusual for this process to takes some weeks, and this indicates to me there is no particular urgency in this matter now from the Crown side.

It also indicates some decent legal arguments must have been made.

It was heard on 7th February , and the judge decided to keep it in place

Murder accused naming decision reserved

"reserved decision" means the Judge hasn't ruled one way or the other yet.

There would be no point in having the name suppression if the Judge took a few weeks to rule on the case but in the meantime ended name suppression!

It is really not surprising that a High Court decision is reserved, or that it takes some weeks to get the judgement.

The Judge has to consider all the legal points made, and how it relates to the facts of the case, and issue a reasoned judgement.

Grace Millane's alleged killer keeps his name suppressed

The man accused of killing English backpacker Grace Millane in December has been allowed by a judge to keep his name suppressed.

The man, now aged 27, appeared in the High Court at Auckland last month, arguing for continued name suppression.

Justice Simon Moore released his decision today.

As well as ordering the continued non-publication of his name, the reasons behind the decision are also suppressed.

“I have done so because I am satisfied the publication of the defendant’s name would create a real risk of prejudice to the defendant’s fair trial rights,” Justice Moore said of the continued suppression order.

[...]

Grace Millane's alleged killer keeps his name suppressed

The man accused of killing English backpacker Grace Millane in December has been allowed by a judge to keep his name suppressed.

The man, now aged 27, appeared in the High Court at Auckland last month, arguing for continued name suppression.

Justice Simon Moore released his decision today.

As well as ordering the continued non-publication of his name, the reasons behind the decision are also suppressed.

“I have done so because I am satisfied the publication of the defendant’s name would create a real risk of prejudice to the defendant’s fair trial rights,” Justice Moore said of the continued suppression order.

[...]
I wonder if that could be because of some previous trouble he may have been in.

What else may be a "real risk" of prejudice to his rights to a fair trial?

Have there been any updates on this at all? Can't see any online but sometimes there's a presence on local tele that doesn't get to broader international channels.

Just had a weird thought of ol' Grace as I'm about to head off overseas again too. Ah man.

I wonder if that could be because of some previous trouble he may have been in.

What else may be a "real risk" of prejudice to his rights to a fair trial?

There is really no way to speculate until we eventually get hold of the judgement.

However I would not be surprised if it has to do with the media hunting down and reporting on his past - which they already started doing. A lot of the info already released is bound to be inadmissible.

I wonder if he will have name suppression at the trial?

Have there been any updates on this at all? Can't see any online but sometimes there's a presence on local tele that doesn't get to broader international channels.

Just had a weird thought of ol' Grace as I'm about to head off overseas again too. Ah man.

The last report in the UK was his not guilty plea in January. Would be interesting further has been reported overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout