Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm puzzled by how police knew her clothes were missing before they'd found her body.

the clothing is going to be somewhere, we haven't found it. Somebody may find it somewhere, we don't know what has happened to it

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceani...ssing-british-backpacker-20181208-p50l39.html

It is possible that this guy is so sick that he took pictures of her dead, naked body before dumping her.

That would explain the announcement that it is a homicide investigation before they found her body, and would explain also the statement about the clothes and the publishing of photos of her jewellery.

Did they find those items at his apartment? I haven't read they were found yet.

I don't think burying something shows he had to be smart. The dumbest of criminals knows how to dig a hole and they are linking a shovel to him for some purpose. If her body wasn't buried then it must have been something else - I suppose it could be a weapon, or he intended to bury her and gave up because it was taking too long.
I did say the exact words 'could have' ie I was raising the possibility and opening up a theory. So nah, they haven't been found. But it's simple reading comprehension to understand I was just throwing something out there.

And I did mention he was spooked and aborted the digging because it was taking too long.

Anyway, I don't know too much about New Zealand or even specifically Auckland police, but in Australia, both Vicpol and WApol (who have been in charge of most cases I've followed a bit) are infamous for trickling out information and also some mild disinformation. Sometimes it works and gives their person of interest a 'phew' (Jill Meagher case in Victoria) and sometimes it's completely butchered and they release things far too late (Claremont Serial Killings in Western Australia).

There's every chance they had the body earlier and were trying to continue to track his movement. Going missing in a major, first-world CBD in a country with CCTV liberties like New Zealand means it's pretty easy to make a map and to literally record almost every footstep from someone. They could have had all of Grace's movements and thus all of his. You can then find out who goes into what room from the corridors, then get his movements in and out.

If you haven't, checked the Meagher case and how they tracked Adrian Bailey.

It is possible that this guy is so sick that he took pictures of her dead, naked body before dumping her.

That would explain the announcement that it is a homicide investigation before they found her body, and would explain also the statement about the clothes and the publishing of photos of her jewellery.

Interesting perspective Elainera. Possible!

Grace Millane: Brother pays tribute as her body is returned home

Slain backpacker Grace Millane had a "passion to see the world", her family says.

Millane's father David has returned to the UK with her body, a week after she was found dead in Auckland's Waitakere Ranges. Her mother, Gillian, had been unable to travel to New Zealand because she was undergoing treatment for breast cancer, The Sunday Timesnewspaper reported.

Her two brothers, Michael, 29, and Declan, 26, and their mother told The Sunday Times that weeks before leaving on her overseas trip, Millane had cut off most of her long hair to donate to a charity that makes wigs for cancer sufferers.

"She had really long hair before she left," Michael told the newspaper. "But she cut it all off and donated it to the Little Princess Trust."

The family told The Sunday Times that other young travellers and their parents should not be deterred by Grace's death.

[...]

O/T - help please. My friends in NZ are concerned about another missing young lady. I need confirmation of a surname to start a thread.
'Sick with worry': Mum's plea for missing North Shore teenager Mia
You can start a thread with first name only, done that before. Once the full name is known, you can alert to have the title changed. Based on mom‘s Facebook, she tagged Mia as Mia Sophie (Sophie I believe is the middle name).

ETA: @Legally Bland found it!

Last edited:
Google gets scolding on NZ suppression law

Google has been given a talking-to by New Zealand's government after the company breached the country's strict suppression laws by naming the man charged with murdering British backpacker Grace Millane.

The tech giant last week copped flak after sending out an email to some New Zealand users highlighting local trends that contained the name of the accused in the subject line, despite the country's courts ordering the 26-year-old could not be publicly identified yet.

The email also said there had been 100,000 searches of the man's name around the country.

[...]

Well, this is my first time posting here, and this case was my motivation for doing so. Like many of you, I have been following this unfortunate and sad story from the start, as a backpacker myself, on and off for the last 12 years. This will be a little long winded but I hope will add some value to the disappearance and ultimately murder of Grace Millane from Wickford.

In this post, I would like to centre the crux on the early part of her backpacking trip, and whether that could shed new light on what actually happened to her on that fateful Saturday night, two and a half weeks ago in Auckland.

I think we can gather from various news reports that Grace Millane was not an experienced backpacker, comfortable with the medium of the Spanish language, nor with the rather different culture of South America in general; which I hypothesize was the main reason for her deciding to book her onward ticket to New Zealand during her Machu Picchu trip, to something perhaps more familiar with back home.

From what I have read, Grace flew into Lima from the UK in late October, did her organised Machu Picchu trip during the early part of November, and when the tour finished sometime in mid-November, she must had either returned to Lima from Bolivia, (where the tour apparantly finished), or flown from bolivia to Lima and then caught her onward flight to NZ.

Grace apparantly only really visited Peru from what I have read, she missed out on much of the continent while she was there. I am sure had she been with a friend she would visited much more of South America and certainly would have felt more secure. Peru, however in my opinion, is one of the more safer backpacking nations in Latin America. I can only assume the language barrier had spurred her on to NZ rather quickly after her tour had finished.

In my humble opinion, Grace Millane was too young, inexperienced and vulnerable to be doing an overseas tour of this scale on her own. I certainly would not have wanted her to do such a trip on her own had she been my daughter; she seemed to have had many friends from uni and her school days:- we can only assume they were all unable/not wanted to join her, or she simply wanted to do it by herself, (more likely).

In any case, had she been with a close friend on her travels I find it highly unlikely she would have been swiping on Tinder or meeting high risk guys in Auckland. Had she spent a little longer centered at the large hostel she was staying at, I think she would have made many new friends and possibly joined a group venturing south. Girls after all bond much more quickly than us men do.

More than likely, it was a simple case that she let her guard down, made a naive mistake and it has cost her her life. It is deeply upsetting to all of us, but we all have to recognise that young, beautiful white women on their own are at high risk. Some men will never respect a single woman's right to be safe, and will choose to prey on their vulnerability for a chance to secure sex.

I can't unfortunately ever see that order of some men changing. I can only hope that in future:- single, young, beautiful, women travel in pairs, groups, or gain extensive short-duration travelling experience closer to home and take on board the potential risks and threats that they face before marauding the other side of the world. That said, I do not blame the poor girl for what happened to her.

I want to take this opportunity to send the family my sincerest condolences, love and strength for this senseless and wicked act that has been apparantly exacted upon their daughter. It is a dispicable crime, and I for one will be following the concurrent developments. I truly hope that the family secure genuine justice, in the following trial that is scheduled to run later next month.

In my humble opinion, Grace Millane was too young, inexperienced and vulnerable to be doing an overseas tour of this scale on her own ... Had she been with a close friend on her travels I find it highly unlikely she would have been swiping on Tinder or meeting high risk guys in Auckland ... Had she spent a little longer centered at the large hostel she was staying at, I think she would have made many new friends and possibly joined a group venturing south ...

More than likely, it was a simple case that she let her guard down, made a naive mistake and it has cost her her life ...

All things being equal - ie that Grace was a normal 22-year -old (and by all accounts from family and friends she was just that and had no 'issues' that would have made her vulnerable) - I don't think she was too young or too inexperienced to travel the world on her own. Thousands and thousands of young women do it every year for the first time, a lot of them much younger than she was, and never run into any kind of trouble.

It's quite possible that she didn't let her guard down and willingly went with the accused to his room. Some people simply take more risks than others. That's how they live their lives. Maybe she also went on these types of dates in her home town. CCTV footage and results from the autopsy re alcohol/drugs in her system will reveal whether her judgement could have been compromised or not.

Personally, I would never go to a room with a guy I didn't know. Not at home. Not while travelling overseas. Not anywhere. No amount of coaxing would ever entice me to take that risk. Even if I could hear a loud party going on, and there were obviously others inside, I still wouldn't do it. I know women should be able to go into any room with a man they've just met and not come out of it raped, bashed or dead. I've never felt inclined to take the risk just to prove a point.

Grace millane murderer can’t be named. I didn’t know murderers have rights to privacy.

I do not agree with this law. His name and face should be plastered worldwide, as all murderers should.

Evidently some countries see room for error in their courts and want murderers to
go free without prejudice should they be set free to murder again.

Last edited:
Well, this is my first time posting here, and this case was my motivation for doing so. Like many of you, I have been following this unfortunate and sad story from the start, as a backpacker myself, on and off for the last 12 years. This will be a little long winded but I hope will add some value to the disappearance and ultimately murder of Grace Millane from Wickford.

In this post, I would like to centre the crux on the early part of her backpacking trip, and whether that could shed new light on what actually happened to her on that fateful Saturday night, two and a half weeks ago in Auckland.

I think we can gather from various news reports that Grace Millane was not an experienced backpacker, comfortable with the medium of the Spanish language, nor with the rather different culture of South America in general; which I hypothesize was the main reason for her deciding to book her onward ticket to New Zealand during her Machu Picchu trip, to something perhaps more familiar with back home.

From what I have read, Grace flew into Lima from the UK in late October, did her organised Machu Picchu trip during the early part of November, and when the tour finished sometime in mid-November, she must had either returned to Lima from Bolivia, (where the tour apparantly finished), or flown from bolivia to Lima and then caught her onward flight to NZ.

Grace apparantly only really visited Peru from what I have read, she missed out on much of the continent while she was there. I am sure had she been with a friend she would visited much more of South America and certainly would have felt more secure. Peru, however in my opinion, is one of the more safer backpacking nations in Latin America. I can only assume the language barrier had spurred her on to NZ rather quickly after her tour had finished.

In my humble opinion, Grace Millane was too young, inexperienced and vulnerable to be doing an overseas tour of this scale on her own. I certainly would not have wanted her to do such a trip on her own had she been my daughter; she seemed to have had many friends from uni and her school days:- we can only assume they were all unable/not wanted to join her, or she simply wanted to do it by herself, (more likely).

In any case, had she been with a close friend on her travels I find it highly unlikely she would have been swiping on Tinder or meeting high risk guys in Auckland. Had she spent a little longer centered at the large hostel she was staying at, I think she would have made many new friends and possibly joined a group venturing south. Girls after all bond much more quickly than us men do.

More than likely, it was a simple case that she let her guard down, made a naive mistake and it has cost her her life. It is deeply upsetting to all of us, but we all have to recognise that young, beautiful white women on their own are at high risk. Some men will never respect a single woman's right to be safe, and will choose to prey on their vulnerability for a chance to secure sex.

I can't unfortunately ever see that order of some men changing. I can only hope that in future:- single, young, beautiful, women travel in pairs, groups, or gain extensive short-duration travelling experience closer to home and take on board the potential risks and threats that they face before marauding the other side of the world. That said, I do not blame the poor girl for what happened to her.

I want to take this opportunity to send the family my sincerest condolences, love and strength for this senseless and wicked act that has been apparantly exacted upon their daughter. It is a dispicable crime, and I for one will be following the concurrent developments. I truly hope that the family secure genuine justice, in the following trial that is scheduled to run later next month.

I don’t think any of us are in a position to know why Grace spent the amount of time in Peru that she did, or why she didn’t venture further afield. Maybe South America wasn’t at the top of her list to explore, but Machu Pichu was on the bucket list? I myself did that tour, 3 weeks around Peru culminating in MP.

She didn’t make any “mistake” by meeting a guy on Tinder. Its a form of hooking up/dating and done all over the world. She could never have known that this guy would turn out be the kind of person he has shown us to be.

Women should absolutely travel on their own, I have done countless trips solo and will continue. You need to have your wits about you and understand the places you’re traveling to sure. But never will I think that because I’m a white female I need a travel companion. The issue is the sleazy predators that think they are allowed to do this - that’s the issue that needs to be dealt with.

A name suppression order can be requested by the accused and victims to protect privacy and ensure a fairer trial for those not yet proven guilty.
If an order is breached, the defence could claim a trial rights violation.
Google could face charges for naming suspect in Grace Millane case

We not agree with this however it’s best to let the law takes its course, plenty of time for disclosure and discussion down the track. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston