GUILTY NH - Abby Hernandez, 14, North Conway, 9 Oct 2013 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
All those sentiments are fine to me, and I totally understood why there would be a day or two of just pure jubilation on the board that Abby was back, but is that now all that this board is about? Really? It is no longer about sleuthing but is rather a place to praise someone or to be a victims-support board? I do not find any of those things to be unworthy of discussion or of thought, I am simply questioning if this is the place to do that. If this is a crime victim's survivor support board, or a place to talk about how much we love the victim and their family, then I really think that the title of the website should be changed. I am being 100% serious here.

I feel that so much great sleuthing gets shut down here by people who segue into either lavishing praise on the victim and their family, or by people who go off on a tangent about how they know from experience how horrible this stuff is.

Again, and I cannot emphasize this enough, those are both totally noble and great things to discuss. But this is a place to sleuth a crime. There are other places to express those sentiments.

And of course I totally expect that people will throw this in my face in six months time when Kibby is convicted, so I will repeat myself one last time: I do not think that this is the forum to just praise and pray for victims. That is fine for a reasonable time, but it has been two weeks, there are still things about this case that are mysterious, and I think it is totally reasonable and fair that people who come to a site called WEBSLEUTHS want to actually sleuth the case.

I am sure that there are loads of places online that deal only with religious, spiritual, and survivor stuff.

I'm 100% on-board w/ what you're saying here. I've been in LE for 17 years, so I'm certain I approach most cases from a different perspective & w/ a different agenda. There are some amazing sleuthers here, there're some people who have a fascination w/ crime & mystery, there are some who use this board as a gossip platform, some for entertainment, some as a cheerleading event, among many other things.

The important thing to remember is that we're all here to hope for a good/happy outcome, and to "catch the bad guy". We need to respect each other, and each other's opinion. We're all on the same team.

How on earth would a 7-year sentence even be considered, if the attorney is telling the truth?
In some states, kidnapping is an LWOP crime. Where does a 7-year sentence even come from?

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Lawyer-Abby-Needs-Time-to-Heal-270981961.html

A lawyer for the family of kidnapped New Hampshire teen Abigail Hernandez issued a statement Tuesday saying the 15 year old did not know her alleged attacker, Nathaniel Kibby.
"She didn't know who he was. I know there's been a lot of speculation about that. She was violently abducted. She was not taken by a friend," said attorney Michael Coyne.

(snipped)

Coyne is frustrated the public is reading any meaning from Abigail's attendance at Kibby's arraignment last month.
"The fact is that much of what has been out there is uninformed speculation," Coyne added.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Lawyer-Abby-Needs-Time-to-Heal-270981961.html

A lawyer for the family of kidnapped New Hampshire teen Abigail Hernandez issued a statement Tuesday saying the 15 year old did not know her alleged attacker, Nathaniel Kibby.
"She didn't know who he was. I know there's been a lot of speculation about that. She was violently abducted. She was not taken by a friend," said attorney Michael Coyne.

(snipped)

Coyne is frustrated the public is reading any meaning from Abigail's attendance at Kibby's arraignment last month.
"The fact is that much of what has been out there is uninformed speculation," Coyne added.

"She made it back home July 20, but investigators have not detailed how she got away from her captor.

[...]

Coyne says Abigail managed to get away through a combination of faith, resilience and smarts."

I find it odd that Kibby is charged with a class b felony kidnapping, which only applies where the defendant voluntarily releases the victim, in light of Coyne's statement that Abigail "got away" from her captor.

That is just the charge right now, I have no doubt other charges will be added.

did not know him prior, in any way.

was violently abducted.

suffered many acts of horrific unspeakable violence while confined...

jesus.

in my opinion abby and her family were and still are entitled to handle this any way they want. but in my opinion they got likely got bad advice along the way, unless this information has truly not been known until just very recently.

they were aware of the honest confusion and the malicious speculation and nasty comments going on (there were comments that indicated they were aware of it and upset by it). a simple statement of "she was without question abducted against her will, violently, by a man she did not know if any way" would have put the vast majority of that to rest.

i dont see any way that releasing that statement jeopardizes any investigation, i suppose it is possible that she was unable to tell them even those basic details until just recently tho...

i never wanted, and still do not want, to hear any salacious details... before i get accused of that. my comments have nothing to do with anything like that.

"She made it back home July 20, but investigators have not detailed how she got away from her captor.

[...]

Coyne says Abigail managed to get away through a combination of faith, resilience and smarts."

I find it odd that Kibby is charged with a class b felony kidnapping, which only applies where the defendant voluntarily releases the victim, in light of Coyne's statement that Abigail "got away" from her captor.

She could have conned him into letting her go. Faking illness, appealing to his humanity - I don't see these two things as incompatible, necessarily.

not sure if anyone else remembers this but after abigail was home, possibly the night after the court appearance? HLN focused on the case, they had 6 people on the screen, dr drew, his co-host and 4 experts (ha)

5 of the 6 all agreed that abigail was "in on it" in some way, that there was something fishy going on here, that maybe she ran off with him, etc...

i dont know how many people watch that show, but that show was crazy irresponsible i thought, and i would really like to see them cover this case tonight and see what they have to say now.

because there really isnt any ambiguity on those points anymore.

it's amazing to me how one lawyer speaks and everyone takes it as gospel.

I know I'm alone in this, so JMO, IMO, MOO obviously...

:hills:

i have not taken anything as gospel personally, im just saying in my opinion there is absolutely no ambiguity as to what is claimed here now, so if someone wants to disagree with those statements in my opinion you cant just chalk it up to confusion, or skirt the issue anymore - you have to come out and say that you think she is a liar. (my use of "you" is not directed at any person in particular, not the previous poster or any other specific poster)

While it's true this is her lawyer speaking, I would imagine police would have evidence to the contrary if in fact they did know each other. It would not be beneficial for a victim's lawyer to make these statements if there was evidence showing they knew each other, as that is something that would come out in court very quickly. Making these kinds of statements would do more harm than good for the victim's case if there is evidence that they knew each other. I see no advantage to her lawyer saying this if it is not true. The same reasoning applies to saying she was "violently abducted" and "suffered numerous acts of unspeakable violence."

:cow:

That is just the charge right now, I have no doubt other charges will be added.

The state has alleged that Kibby voluntarily terminated Abigail's confinement by releasing her into a safe place. The statement, that Abigail "got away" from Kibby, implies that Abigail terminated her own confinement.

I would be more skeptical of statements coming from a lawyer if the attorney were representing someone charged with something. But this statement I tend to believe because

a) it comes regarding a victim of a crime and not a perpetrator

and

b) as lookingforclues states above, what benefit is there to put that information out there if it were going to be disproved/discredited come trial?

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/newsx...suffered-unspeakable-violence-while-kidnapped

For the first time, the family of Abby Hernandez has said that Abby suffered "numerous acts of unspeakable violence" while she was allegedly kidnapped for nine months. The statement calls her survival "miraculous."
The family also referred questions to lawyers, according to a brief statement the family released Tuesday night. The statement was written by Attorney Michael Coyne.

The article mentions "the family" said how Abby suffered. Who in the family? To me this is almost the same as reading "sources close to the investigation" reported...

I personally am glad this statement was put out there. I think that the media, or certain news "organizations" have more than revictimized Abby. She is a child and deserves to be allowed to heal and have her private life back. I have never doubted since day 1 that this was a stranger abduction and that she has been through hell. I'm just absolutely happy and relieved that she did survive!

1000% agree. I can't imagine what she went through, am positive many more charges will be added (thanks goodness!). Since Jane Young's office is so conservative, it wouldn't have come out until Abby's new attorney made it happen. Kudos to them! With the additional 30 days until the next hearing, hopefully she can now be left alone.

What would they gain by lying? Their duty is to represent Abby and advocate for her best interest. Lying to the media obviously wouldn't be helpful.

The article mentions "the family" said how Abby suffered. Who in the family? To me this is almost the same as reading "sources close to the investigation" reported...

Well, the way it's written, if any questions are addressed to the adults in the family, they are referring them to the attorneys. It's broad enough to include sister, mom, dad, aunts, uncles, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy
Back