NH NH - Allenstown, Adult Female, 23-33, & 3 Children, under 11, Nov'85 & May'00 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
After the Sumter County Does, I pray this sweet baby is next! I'm looking at the lengthy ancestry information on the Mitchells and Livings. How would you even go about narrowing this down without the DNA?

I think even with DNA it may be a challenge because it appears many cousins married in this family.

On a side note, how does one become a genetic genealogist? I have a background in life science and this seem very fascinating to me.

As a paying career, that's not easy, although it may be easier as time goes on, I suspect. For me it's just a labor of love. I was always interested in history and genealogy anyway, my degree is in history. It was only when a relative wanted to find their biological family that I started helping with that and learned more about genetic genealogy. Then another relative asked if I could help them too. Eventually I began using those skills to help adoptees and people looking to break down their genealogical brick walls. That's very rewarding.

Overall, I don't think it's hard to learn, especially for someone with a scientific background. I do think my history/genealogy background helps me in certain ways sometimes too. Like anything you get better with experience. The important part is probably just immersing yourself in the community enough to understand ethical concerns so that you approach your search responsibly. It's very important to have an understanding with people that when they undertake a search they may find results that are unexpected.

I am related to Thomas Mitchell's granddaughter (EMB) and Catherine Danielley (and others in the genealogy) in various distant cousin ways, mostly through shared ancestors. I called the lead guy on this case and gave him my gedmatch or familytreedna # (forgot which he asked for). I think I am way too far away to help. It is so disappointing to read Thomas' great grandson was too far away. Alot of our trees were/are latter day saints (such as EMB), so we do have a huge family and my own side personally were polygamous and married cousins multiple times over and such (both of my grandparents and both of my parents are distantly related and did not know it until I looked at genealogy). I do believe this family co-married as well, you can tell by the last names. I wouldn't be surprised if I am related closer, but my family genealogy is huge and complicated- each one of my paternal grandparents had nine or ten siblings each and so forth. I have been trying to figure it out on 23andme with shared cousins. I know I have tons of last named Mitchells on there.

Their first preference is known descendants of William Livings and Deadhorse Mitchell but I think their second priority was exactly people like yourself.

Each of us has eight great-grandparents. And 16 ancestors the next generation up. These investigators obviously aren't interested in eight of those sixteen ancestors of the middle child, because they will be ancestors through Rasmussen whose identity is already known. but the remaining eight are of great interest. And even though they've only publicly identified two maternal ancestors, there are six more that they seemingly know less about. It could very well be that you or someone like you thinks you won't be a good match, due to only distant Mitchell/Living connections, but ends up having closer connections on some other line that provides the needed break.

As a paying career, that's not easy, although it may be easier as time goes on, I suspect. For me it's just a labor of love. I was always interested in history and genealogy anyway, my degree is in history. It was only when a relative wanted to find their biological family that I started helping with that and learned more about genetic genealogy. Then another relative asked if I could help them too. Eventually I began using those skills to help adoptees and people looking to break down their genealogical brick walls. That's very rewarding.

Overall, I don't think it's hard to learn, especially for someone with a scientific background. I do think my history/genealogy background helps me in certain ways sometimes too. Like anything you get better with experience. The important part is probably just immersing yourself in the community enough to understand ethical concerns so that you approach your search responsibly. It's very important to have an understanding with people that when they undertake a search they may find results that are unexpected.

I see. Thanks for the explanation! I am in the medical field so would only be looking at this as a hobby, I'll certain read up more about it!

Their first preference is known descendants of William Livings and Deadhorse Mitchell but I think their second priority was exactly people like yourself.

Each of us has eight great-grandparents. And 16 ancestors the next generation up. These investigators obviously aren't interested in eight of those sixteen ancestors of the middle child, because they will be ancestors through Rasmussen whose identity is already known. but the remaining eight are of great interest. And even though they've only publicly identified two maternal ancestors, there are six more that they seemingly know less about. It could very well be that you or someone like you thinks you won't be a good match, due to only distant Mitchell/Living connections, but ends up having closer connections on some other line that provides the needed break.

So, this is probably redundant but, we are looking for the mother's side (obviously) and they are the Livings/Mitchell connections?

Pearl Creek is a very interesting family tree (I call the town a tree because of the fact that nearly everyone is related) because of it's seclusion and distance decay. I'm still mapping out the tree

Endogamy is fun (or not), especially if people used the same handful of first names through the generations... that in combination with the same last names over and over is a killer for genealogists...
My paternal genealogy is like that and it is super frustrating, even though it is well documented.

Endogamy is fun (or not), especially if people used the same handful of first names through the generations... that in combination with the same last names over and over is a killer for genealogists...
My paternal genealogy is like that and it is super frustrating, even though it is well documented.
Same, LOL, but only it is on my mother's mother (grandmother's) side of the family. They were from the secluded Kentucky town of Beech Creek (my great aunt married her second cousin without knowing).

Same, LOL, but only it is on my mother's mother (grandmother's) side of the family. They were from the secluded Kentucky town of Beech Creek (my great aunt married her second cousin without knowing).
Sorry, off topic -
We could be distantly related! My paternal grandfather's family has deep roots in Muhlenberg County where Beech Creek is and neighboring Ohio County.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc
Back