Found Deceased NH - Hiker Emily Sotelo, from MA, dropped off in Franconia, Lafayette trailhead, Hiking Mounts Lafayette, Haystack & Flume, 20 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was wondering this as well. Although, I am wondering if the news and fish and game reported the drop off as the campground because it is more of a landmark than saying “the drop off was at the I-93 N side parking lot across from Lafayette place campground.” Economizing words yet being less precise for those of us who want precision and value each word’s meaning. As I tell my students, words matter.

When I drove by this morning, I didn’t see any cars visible from 93 in the lots - I did see a couple cars closer to the flume (in the lot on I-93 N) across from the basin. Perhaps the search resumes at 10?
I think you are probably right. I have been worrying about it because I was thinking about a 19 year old crossing the highway at 5am in the dark with no light source and all the additional issues - did she walk along the highway, did someone pick her up, could someone have followed her (though unlikely). Versus a reliable person literally watching her walk up the trail into the woods (where there are their own dangers).

So many good questions posed on this thread. I have extensive 3+ season hiking experience in this area, 88 of the New England Highest Hundred peaks and hope to finish up all 100 next summer. I don't winter hike in the big mountains, but I have hiked into late November and even a few December/January hikes when the weather is good. Lots of people saying her attire doesn't make sense. I agree with that on the surface, but when I read what they're saying she was wearing I'm reading a very vague description. "Brown jacket, exercise pants, sneakers" is not that far off how someone would describe me when I'm headed out onto the trail. No report of any kind of pack? The jacket could be just the top layer of multiple layers, reports haven't been more specific. Exercise pants could be thermal tights with appropriate underlayers. Sneakers, that's the footwear I use (I will pack micro spikes when appropriate, and I am not hiking in deep snow). I hiked Owl's Head, which is the peak immediately east of where Ms. Sotelo was, in November 2016 with a little bit of snow on the approach trails and up to a few inches on the slide path, wearing Brooks Cascadia running shoes (no microspikes), running tights with a layer underneath, multiple layers on top. No issues. From what I've seen the last decade, I'm going to say around 40% of hikers, even 4000'ers including the Presi's, are wearing running shoes or footwear that's a lot closer to running shoes than they are to hiking boots.

A few people questioned why she was dropped off. If her plan was as it's been reported: up Lafayette, then south on the Franconia Ridge Trail across Lincoln, Haystack, Liberty, then to Flume - it would make sense that she planned to descend from Flume rather than hiking back north towards any of those other peaks. In that case, the plan likely would have been for her Mom to pick her up at the Flume trailhead which is 3-4 miles south of the Lafayette trailhead. I find that ridge pretty mellow, and it does drop almost 1000' from Lafayette to Flume (with of course climbs to summit the intermediate peaks). Overall this is a long hike. It's about 4.0 miles up Old Bridle Path and Greenleaf Trail to Lafayette. It's about 5.0 miles from Lafayette peak to Flume peak on the ridge. It's about 4.8 miles from Flume peak down the Flume Slide Trail to Liberty Spring Trail to Whitehouse Trail. I've hiked the Lafayette/Lincoln loop (the northern part) in 4:09, and the Flume/Liberty loop (the southern part) in 4:36. I'm a pretty fast hiker, and for me I'd conservatively estimate 7.5 hours in good weather for the loop Ms. Sotelo was said to have been planning. But for a lot of hikers, even in good weather this is going to be a 13-14 hour hike. And the descent of the Flume Slide Trail is a very challenging descent even in good weather.

One thing I'm curious about that I haven't read anything about yet... When her Mom dropped her off at the Lafayette trailhead, I wonder if her Mom stuck around that trailhead for awhile, or if she went somewhere else to wait out the interim until she had to go to the Flume Visitor Center lot to pick up Emily at the end. If she didn't stick around the Lafayette trailhead area, is it possible Emily started out, got a little way up and figured she wasn't properly prepared, turned back and ended up where her Mom wasn't? You would think Emily would have made a call if her plans had changed like that, but cell service in that area can be spotty. There are options to walk parallel to I93 (Pemi Trail on the west side of the highway) to get from one trailhead to the other. Also possible she would have tried to get a ride, which brings in a whole different element. If her Mom drove off, planning to pick her up later at the bottom of Flume, and Emily decided to turn back partway up Lafayette, we could be looking at a multiple hour time gap that she was around those trailheads.

As the mom of a similar-aged daughter, I can't imagine what this mom/family must be going through right now and have an enormous amount of compassion (and frankly dread) for this family. I can see this as a series of bad judgments adding up to a catastrophic situation. One scenario I can see is an incredibly determined almost-20 year old convincing her mom she knows best (she has done 40 already!), that this is the one thing she is asking for for her birthday. She can do it in a day - she has done similar hikes without a problem. Maybe the mom doesn't have much outdoor knowledge. Maybe Emily has taken risks on some of her other hikes but they all turned out fine in the end.

I guess in the face of what might turn out to be the worst Thanksgiving of this family's life, I see all those bad decisions but I can't find it in myself to judge this mom with what I know given the likely outcome. I'm guessing she may be doing that to herself already.

I completely agree that something about this story doesn't make sense.

Even with just experience (not expertise), one knows when its too cold. I think she would have know very quickly that it was too cold to hike in that gear.

I wonder what the arrangements were to pick her up? Was she supposed to call or was there a pre-arranged time?

Is it possible that she did give up quickly, came back to the lot/pick-up spot and then ended up in someone else's car?

This is new (to me) information.

It appears that the loop that she was on would have crossed three 4,000-foot peaks off her list: Mount Lafayette, Mount Haystack, and Mount Flume.

This might have been a major motivating factor in pushing to complete this trail.
Still wish she had on more clothes (though maybe “jacket” is more like a North Face heavy fleece or other appropriate gear that the mom doesn’t know), but having a goal like this makes the early morning, far drive make a lot more sense! I could see wanting to help my kids with a goal, even if it’s a little crazy. I couldn’t really see driving 2 hours to drop off underprepared daughter for a random hike.

So many good questions posed on this thread. I have extensive 3+ season hiking experience in this area, 88 of the New England Highest Hundred peaks and hope to finish up all 100 next summer. I don't winter hike in the big mountains, but I have hiked into late November and even a few December/January hikes when the weather is good. Lots of people saying her attire doesn't make sense. I agree with that on the surface, but when I read what they're saying she was wearing I'm reading a very vague description. "Brown jacket, exercise pants, sneakers" is not that far off how someone would describe me when I'm headed out onto the trail. No report of any kind of pack? The jacket could be just the top layer of multiple layers, reports haven't been more specific. Exercise pants could be thermal tights with appropriate underlayers. Sneakers, that's the footwear I use (I will pack micro spikes when appropriate, and I am not hiking in deep snow). I hiked Owl's Head, which is the peak immediately east of where Ms. Sotelo was, in November 2016 with a little bit of snow on the approach trails and up to a few inches on the slide path, wearing Brooks Cascadia running shoes (no microspikes), running tights with a layer underneath, multiple layers on top. No issues. From what I've seen the last decade, I'm going to say around 40% of hikers, even 4000'ers including the Presi's, are wearing running shoes or footwear that's a lot closer to running shoes than they are to hiking boots.

A few people questioned why she was dropped off. If her plan was as it's been reported: up Lafayette, then south on the Franconia Ridge Trail across Lincoln, Haystack, Liberty, then to Flume - it would make sense that she planned to descend from Flume rather than hiking back north towards any of those other peaks. In that case, the plan likely would have been for her Mom to pick her up at the Flume trailhead which is 3-4 miles south of the Lafayette trailhead. I find that ridge pretty mellow, and it does drop almost 1000' from Lafayette to Flume (with of course climbs to summit the intermediate peaks). Overall this is a long hike. It's about 4.0 miles up Old Bridle Path and Greenleaf Trail to Lafayette. It's about 5.0 miles from Lafayette peak to Flume peak on the ridge. It's about 4.8 miles from Flume peak down the Flume Slide Trail to Liberty Spring Trail to Whitehouse Trail. I've hiked the Lafayette/Lincoln loop (the northern part) in 4:09, and the Flume/Liberty loop (the southern part) in 4:36. I'm a pretty fast hiker, and for me I'd conservatively estimate 7.5 hours in good weather for the loop Ms. Sotelo was said to have been planning. But for a lot of hikers, even in good weather this is going to be a 13-14 hour hike. And the descent of the Flume Slide Trail is a very challenging descent even in good weather.

One thing I'm curious about that I haven't read anything about yet... When her Mom dropped her off at the Lafayette trailhead, I wonder if her Mom stuck around that trailhead for awhile, or if she went somewhere else to wait out the interim until she had to go to the Flume Visitor Center lot to pick up Emily at the end. If she didn't stick around the Lafayette trailhead area, is it possible Emily started out, got a little way up and figured she wasn't properly prepared, turned back and ended up where her Mom wasn't? You would think Emily would have made a call if her plans had changed like that, but cell service in that area can be spotty. There are options to walk parallel to I93 (Pemi Trail on the west side of the highway) to get from one trailhead to the other. Also possible she would have tried to get a ride, which brings in a whole different element. If her Mom drove off, planning to pick her up later at the bottom of Flume, and Emily decided to turn back partway up Lafayette, we could be looking at a multiple hour time gap that she was around those trailheads.
I agree about the running shoes (that's what I hike in, my trail running shoes) and the 'perhaps her mom didn't know what she had for clothing' thoughts. My IMO counter to that is... no description of pack, no comments relating to "she has hiked 4000 footers and has the gear, here's a picture of her with her pack, at a summit, on a trail in the summer, etc." Even if she was a solo hiker, which is awesome and amazing, you'd think she would have friends who have hiked with her in the past or talked to her about it (her 48 goal is amazing and has to have so many stories!) to know she was ready and prepared. All of your info on trail head, etc makes total sense, and is something someone who researched this hike would know - and it doesn't seem like any of it was shared with her mom?? My questions, are, though, that with each MSM story that comes out, it's more about how ill-prepared she was for this... I'm questioning so much about the whole situation right now...

And tomorrow is her birthday and Thursday is Thanksgiving and my heart is breaking for her family.

WAIT, this doesn't make sense. The Lafayette Place campground is on the other side of the highway from Mount Lafayette, Little Haystack, and Flume. You would not start there to hike those trails.

There are other trails that start at or near Lafayette Place campground and they're easier - they are the ones I usually do. Kinsman Ridge, Lonesome Lake, Cannon Mountain, those trails all start on the side of Lafayette Place campground and you reach them from that side of the highway.

If her mother was in the Lafayette Place campground, how did she see her walk up the trails across the highway?
Are you thinking one of the following:
1. Her Mom didn't drop her off AT the campground, it's just the closest landmark and her mom saw her go up the named trail
2. Her mom dropped her off at the campground, she crossed to the trailhead and her mom didn't actually see her start hiking, but assumed she did.
3. Her mom dropped her at the campground and she went up a trail AT the campground and not the trails listed in MSM, therefore the searchers are in the wrong place?

IMO, any of these is possible but I would say the COs would have verified with the Mom EXACTLY what happened that morning.

Could Emily's motivation to get that hike in before she turned 20 on Wednesday have overruled common sense?

Here are a few quotes from the Boston Globe article at the link below:

Sotelo, 19, lives in Westford. Colonel Kevin Jordan said she was seeking to finish hiking every 4,000-foot peak in New Hampshire before she turned 20 this week.

Her father, Jorge, said Sotelo enjoyed being outside and has done primitive camping before, but not in the bitter cold.

“Emily loves the outdoors,” he said in a phone interview. Her mother, Olivera, said she had “four or five” mountains left on her list.

I don't know what she has been doing since graduating from Westford Public Schools in 2021. She was part of a large graduating class, 445 students. Maybe she was trying to figure out what her next steps in life would be after high school and the hiking goals were an interim objective.

Last edited:
Could Emily's motivation to get that hike in before she turned 20 on Wednesday have overruled commen sense?
RSBM
I think the answer is sadly, yes. Until I read that she was peakbagging her list of 48 4,000-ft peaks, this entire scenario made little sense to me. I hike with a large number of avid peakbaggers across the US. Some of them would absolutely finish their list at risk to their health and well-being. Almost all would mitigate that risk and are typically very experienced and prepared, but they can be blindly determined. I would think an avid peakbagger who is only 19 and hikes alone may underestimate the risks, imo.

I think the answer is sadly, yes. Until I read that she was peakbagging her list of 48 4,000-ft peaks, this entire scenario made little sense to me. I hike with a large number of avid peakbaggers across the US. Some of them would absolutely finish their list at risk to their health and well-being. Almost all would mitigate that risk and are typically very experienced and prepared, but they can be blindly determined. I would think an avid peakbagger who is only 19 and hikes alone may underestimate the risks, imo.
I’m replying to myself, but on these avid peakbagger websites, they write up trip reports to inform others of conditions and just for comradery. There are probably 100 trip reports of her planned route on our favorite site. The latest of the season was done in early October. There is one with crampons and mountaineering gear in Feb. This would indicate to me that few people are doing this hike in November, imo. You locals have already confirmed this. It’s cold and icy!

I agree about the running shoes (that's what I hike in, my trail running shoes) and the 'perhaps her mom didn't know what she had for clothing' thoughts. My IMO counter to that is... no description of pack, no comments relating to "she has hiked 4000 footers and has the gear, here's a picture of her with her pack, at a summit, on a trail in the summer, etc." Even if she was a solo hiker, which is awesome and amazing, you'd think she would have friends who have hiked with her in the past or talked to her about it (her 48 goal is amazing and has to have so many stories!) to know she was ready and prepared. All of your info on trail head, etc makes total sense, and is something someone who researched this hike would know - and it doesn't seem like any of it was shared with her mom?? My questions, are, though, that with each MSM story that comes out, it's more about how ill-prepared she was for this... I'm questioning so much about the whole situation right now...

And tomorrow is her birthday and Thursday is Thanksgiving and my heart is breaking for her family.
I’d DEFINITELY have a picture of my kid the morning of. Not for security but because I’d be commemorating her craziness/my crazy support. But all moms aren’t picture crazy.

Great post! I think your point about the shoes is important. There are so many great hiking shoes now that are tennis shoes with very good tread and look like any other tennis shoe, but are built more like hiking boots. I prefer those type when I'm hiking. I haven't done winter hiking so I can't speak for what I might prefer it was frigid cold. I use spikes here in Hawaii on some trails due to sudden raining spells that hit causing muddy conditions at a moments notice on steep trails. They are small and fit right in my camelback/hiking bag.

If her mom isn't an experienced hiker and doesn't know much about it, it's possible moms description of what she had would be very vague. Great points about her coat could have been on top of many layers or her pants could have had layers under it. Mom may not have known much about what gear she had. Spikes would be easily hidden in even the smallest bag. I am assuming she had a bag because otherwise she wouldn't be able to carry any water. I surely hope she didn't set out without any water or food at all. If I were to go missing, I'm not sure my spouse or kids would be able to say for sure what I had with me because they aren't avid hikers and don't watch me pack a bag or really know what I have when I go. Maybe her mom is like that too. Just said I'll drop you off and sees her with the outer layer and can describe it, but not much else.

Edited to add: if mom isn't a hiker and knows little about it, maybe she also didn't realize how dangerous this hike might have been or she didn't realize what her daughter was walking into. Those that aren't crazy about something might not really know much about it. I had the initial thought of why did she let her daughter go, but I am thinking that based on my knowledge of hiking. I think it's possible mom had some reservations, but trusted her daughter knew more about hiking and what she was doing when she offered to drop her off.

She is from Westford, Mass. Is that where she and the mother left from to get to the trailhead? I can't find in any reports if they started out from home or had stayed overnight in the area. Driving from Westford to Franconia is a solid two hours without stopping for bathroom breaks, etc. So that means they had to have left Westford at 3 am?

And has the mom said what her plan was for when her daughter was hiking? Was she just going to wait at the trailhead or drive somewhere?

I get that some hikers are this committed but there are a lot of questions in this situation. jmo

Would you have included hiking poles in this hike with the weather conditions described?

This 48 hikes sounds more like trail running to me, than hiking. That is a much more spare approach to what you are carrying in the outdoors.

Given her age, that she has hiked many times before this, and that she didn't drive herself, I think it is highly likely she had a phone with her when she hit the trial.

Unless she was incapacitated, or the phone was, she would try and call for help.

If cell phone coverage is spotty in that area I wonder if they can bring in a portable tower to see if they can catch her trying to call or ping her phone.

It's possible she still has battery at this point.

The only time I hiked in that area was years ago while thru-hiking the AT. Does anyone know if there are any side trails she might have used to try and bail on her planned agenda? Maybe realized she was in trouble, could not complete the planned hike. I'd guess SAR has considered this and have rescuers checking potential side trails. If she did do this, is it possible she could have tried to get to one of the huts?

Are you thinking one of the following:
1. Her Mom didn't drop her off AT the campground, it's just the closest landmark and her mom saw her go up the named trail
2. Her mom dropped her off at the campground, she crossed to the trailhead and her mom didn't actually see her start hiking, but assumed she did.
3. Her mom dropped her at the campground and she went up a trail AT the campground and not the trails listed in MSM, therefore the searchers are in the wrong place?

IMO, any of these is possible but I would say the COs would have verified with the Mom EXACTLY what happened that morning.
I am not really sure what I think. I think sadly the most likely explanation is she slipped and hurt herself somewhere on the trail. Growing up I spent a lot of time in the Catskill and Adirondack mountains in NY and I was really unprepared when we started hiking in NH for how rocky it is - even on "easier" sections. It is very easy to slip. This time and early spring can be the most dangerous because until there is a deep snowpack, you're walking on ice on rock. When it warms up enough in the sun to melt the snow and then it freezes overnight it gets really treacherous.

But my comments this morning were stemming from thinking about heading down there today to see if I could take any useful pictures without getting my almost 40 year old self stuck on a trail in the snow myself. That's when I realized it was the other side of the highway and it felt hinky to me. But I think the comments after my initial posts make sense that her mom really dropped her off at the Bridle Path trailhead off 93N (since she was coming from the south anyway) and either her mom or F&G just listed the Lafayette Campground as the closest widely known marker.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7
Back